PDA

View Full Version : Is there any reason to use thicker gauge string besides durability?

Jack Migger
08-07-2009, 08:43 PM
I know all the benefits of using a thinner gauge string and the only positive thing I hear about thicker gauges is that it's harder to break them.

Are there any other positives to using a thicker gauge?

Keifers
08-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Good question. I'm interested in people's thoughts on this also.

I'm thinking the thicker gauge might make for a slightly more comfortable stringbed -- at the expense of bite on the ball, among other things.

Also, thicker might be a way to tame the power of a frame.

3lowdown
08-07-2009, 09:13 PM
stiffer, or if textured ala blue gear it supposedly gives more spin. But who knows if that is true.

Jack Migger
08-07-2009, 09:21 PM

I'm thinking the thicker gauge might make for a slightly more comfortable stringbed -- at the expense of bite on the ball, among other things.

hmmm... very interested in peoples opinions on this

I currently string with 17g but have been playing around with 16g for fun and am finding myself enjoying NOT having that feeling of sponginess a thinner string provides. Is this unusual?

3lowdown
08-07-2009, 09:31 PM
no its not, thinner softer, thicker stiffer.

Jack Migger
08-07-2009, 09:35 PM
no its not, thinner softer, thicker stiffer.

:confused: That's what I said...

I'm looking to hear reasons other than durability factors that make thicker gauges less/more preferable

lawlitssoo1n
08-07-2009, 09:42 PM
closer string bed allowing better control

Lsmkenpo
08-07-2009, 10:55 PM
The thicker gauge holds tension longer.

Keifers
08-08-2009, 12:47 AM

hmmm... very interested in peoples opinions on this

I currently string with 17g but have been playing around with 16g for fun and am finding myself enjoying NOT having that feeling of sponginess a thinner string provides. Is this unusual?
Let me clarify... I meant more comfortable in the sense that there is less bite on the ball with the thicker string, so a smoother feel ...so more comfortable. (A fairly esoteric aspect of feel, I admit... :) )

More noticeable: Thinner strings will typically feel less stiff and more resilient than thicker, and in that way, provide a more comfortable stringbed. I think that's probably what you meant by the sponginess that thinner provides, yes?

Thicker at the same tension provides less power than thinner; it stretches less when the ball hits (it's more stiff) and bounces back less and slower (less resilient).

Hope that's helped. I'm quite open to more expert opinions on this as I don't consider myself an expert by any means.

dirtballer
08-08-2009, 05:46 AM
I agree. Thicker gauge will give less power and it will be noticeable.

Jack Migger
08-08-2009, 06:07 AM
Let me clarify... I meant more comfortable in the sense that there is less bite on the ball with the thicker string, so a smoother feel ...so more comfortable. (A fairly esoteric aspect of feel, I admit... :) )

More noticeable: Thinner strings will typically feel less stiff and more resilient than thicker, and in that way, provide a more comfortable stringbed. I think that's probably what you meant by the sponginess that thinner provides, yes?

Thicker at the same tension provides less power than thinner; it stretches less when the ball hits (it's more stiff) and bounces back less and slower (less resilient).

Hope that's helped. I'm quite open to more expert opinions on this as I don't consider myself an expert by any means.

Thanks! That's exactly the type of info I was looking for.
Yes, that's what I meant when I talked about a thinner gauge being "spongier" or providing that extra feel.

I see no real reason to use thicker gauges since I'm not a string breaker so I'll probably be sticking to my usual 17g.

goosala
08-08-2009, 11:36 AM
I'm a string breaker and use thin gauge strings because the feel is so much better than thicker gauges like 16 or 15L. Of course, I use cheap syn guts like PSGO, Forten Sweet, and Pro Supex Titan so I can break as much as I want.