PDA

View Full Version : Toughest Stringing Experiences

xxgt465xx
08-07-2009, 08:52 PM
I just strung a racquet today that was all Luxilon Alu BB rough and it was a terrible experience. It tears your hands up so bad on the crosses. Also, the worst racquets to string have to be the Prince O3's and the Head Airflows (the throat-piece slides around when you tension the main).

What are your experiences with these or other problems while stringing?

3lowdown
08-07-2009, 09:09 PM
trying to get the last cross through a freinds puredrive with cortex with luxilon spin. Not only were my hands sweaty as hell but i didnt have my awl and was hundreds of miles from home and in a motel room. Took me half an hour to get the string through, i cussed up a storm and got a little frustrated.

klementine79
08-07-2009, 09:14 PM
The place I string my racquets at charges $5 extra for full poly-jobs and $2.50 extra for hybrids.

I really think stringers should charge extra for full-poly jobs.. not gut-money extra.. but definately more than $5.

I don't string myself and have no desire to learn (too busy).. the place I string charges $40 for a string-job (no matter what multi you pick.. kgut or duraflex) it's a flat fee, $20strings/$20 labor. Full-poly jobs $45 and full gut-jobs $80.

Needless to mention I bring my own strings and pay the $20 - $25 fee for stringing.

Either that or drive 3hrs. total to H O L A B I R D sports and they charge half the price.

xxgt465xx
08-07-2009, 09:23 PM
The place I string my racquets at charges $5 extra for full poly-jobs and $2.50 extra for hybrids.

I really think stringers should charge extra for full-poly jobs.. not gut-money extra.. but definately more than $5.

I don't string myself and have no desire to learn (too busy).. the place I string charges $40 for a string-job (no matter what multi you pick.. kgut or duraflex) it's a flat fee, $20strings/$20 labor. Full-poly jobs $45 and full gut-jobs $80.

Needless to mention I bring my own strings and pay the $20 - $25 fee for stringing.

Either that or drive 3hrs. total to H O L A B I R D sports and they charge half the price.

This is the pricing where I work. Just to mention, we have a contract with Wilson so that is all we carry.

Labor/own strings: $18
All poly: add $5

Wilson Synthetic Gut Extreme: $21*

Wilson Super Spin: $22*

Wilson Reaction: $23*

Wilson Sensation: $31*

Wilson NXT: $33*

Wilson NXT Max: $34*

Wilson NXT Tour: $36*

*-labor included

We do hybrids with Luxilon.

And to respond to your post. All poly jobs are absolutely terrible!!! My hands are destroyed after those.

3lowdown
08-07-2009, 09:30 PM
my god people, http://www.klipperusa.com/klippermatedetail2.php buy that and pay it off within a week.

xxgt465xx
08-07-2009, 09:35 PM
my god people, http://www.klipperusa.com/klippermatedetail2.php buy that and pay it off within a week.

Dropweight machines are terrible.

Lakers4Life
08-07-2009, 09:47 PM
I just strung a racquet today that was all Luxilon Alu BB rough and it was a terrible experience. It tears your hands up so bad on the crosses. Also, the worst racquets to string have to be the Prince O3's and the Head Airflows (the throat-piece slides around when you tension the main).

What are your experiences with these or other problems while stringing?

What kind of machine are you using? I'm gonna guess a Prince Neos 1000, or a Gamma 2-point mount.

Mansewerz
08-07-2009, 09:49 PM
I charge $2 more for polys.

I refuse to do any Gamma Ruff. Ever.

The worst recent experience was my first full bed of Maxim touch in an Aerogel 100. First, I had to tighten the clamps enough so that they somewhat pinched the strings (Yes, I tried cleaning them as well).

Then on the crosses, the AG100 happens to have areas and 10 and 2 o clock where the string creates a double decker blockage of a hole, and with a multi, it's a pain to get through. I tried moving the string with my thumbnail, worked on one side. Then I had to pull the full length of string in one hole, take it out, run it over that blocking string (I string my second cross first), that way, I had more wiggle room with the first cross.

It still wouldn't go through, and the string just kept bending and bending. I tried chap stick. No luck. I tried using Big ace to go through first, then put the maxim touch through. It worked on one side, but the big ace just kept getting shot out on the other side, and the maxim touch wouldn't go through.

Finally, I noticed a tie off hole, so I took a strip of big ace, ran it through the tie off, took the same end and ran it back through the hole so it hooked around the longer of the blocking strings. I used a starting clamp to hold the ends of the big ace. Then I pulled the longer string with the big ace hook, finally got the maxim touch through, and proceeded to finish the crosses.

Such a pain in the ***. From now on, I will place a piece of string against the frame when doing any string on my AG100, and anytime I do a multi, I shall use this method.

3lowdown
08-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Dropweight machines are terrible.

hahahahahahhahhahahahahhahahaha............<breath>....hahahahahahhahahahhhahahahahah. Your funny, please do tell more jokes.

steve s
08-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Silver speedport is a pain for me. I have stopped stringing this model.

Danstevens
08-08-2009, 11:51 AM
hahahahahahhahhahahahahhahahaha............<breath>....hahahahahahhahahahhhahahahahah. Your funny, please do tell more jokes.

:( I was just about to quote that post and mock it with sarcasm and you beat me to it :(. TBH, dropweight machines are probably the best machine type you can buy at that kind of price point. Nothing is more consistent than gravity.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of stringing Kevlar or any of the rough poly strings. I still string them and don't charge extra. The majority of my customers are fairly old and so, tend to choose softer strings which are friendlier to your hands.

Oversize racquets or racquets with really dense patterns are also annoying. I don't like stringing Prince racquets with O-ports either but no-one that I string for regularly uses Prince. Most of my customers play with midplus Babolats or Wilson N or K six.one series frames and none of those are particularly awful to string.

iHabNoTeef
08-08-2009, 07:59 PM
I charge $2 more for polys.

I refuse to do any Gamma Ruff. Ever.

The worst recent experience was my first full bed of Maxim touch in an Aerogel 100. First, I had to tighten the clamps enough so that they somewhat pinched the strings (Yes, I tried cleaning them as well).

Then on the crosses, the AG100 happens to have areas and 10 and 2 o clock where the string creates a double decker blockage of a hole, and with a multi, it's a pain to get through. I tried moving the string with my thumbnail, worked on one side. Then I had to pull the full length of string in one hole, take it out, run it over that blocking string (I string my second cross first), that way, I had more wiggle room with the first cross.

It still wouldn't go through, and the string just kept bending and bending. I tried chap stick. No luck. I tried using Big ace to go through first, then put the maxim touch through. It worked on one side, but the big ace just kept getting shot out on the other side, and the maxim touch wouldn't go through.

Finally, I noticed a tie off hole, so I took a strip of big ace, ran it through the tie off, took the same end and ran it back through the hole so it hooked around the longer of the blocking strings. I used a starting clamp to hold the ends of the big ace. Then I pulled the longer string with the big ace hook, finally got the maxim touch through, and proceeded to finish the crosses.

Such a pain in the ***. From now on, I will place a piece of string against the frame when doing any string on my AG100, and anytime I do a multi, I shall use this method.

Weave the first cross before you tie off the mains.

vndesu
08-08-2009, 08:05 PM
one of my customers had a 2x kbt and both wanted them strung with alu roughs.

it was a fml moment but i had to get it done.

toeknee
08-08-2009, 09:23 PM
I don’t understand why a lot of ppl say polys are hard to string. To me, I think polys are one of the easiest and safest strings to string, and just as easy as the others (except NatGut). By safe I mean, to me, polys are more resistant to kinks due to their stiff nature... Or maybe it's just the way I do things??
$5 more for poly job? Lawl

DownTheLine
08-08-2009, 09:27 PM
I was all done with my racquet except for the last knot. I was stringing the mains with Lux ALU Power Rough and Wilson Sensation 17 in the crosses I spent 50 mins trying to get the sensation through a the tie-off grommet.

Any advise for future use? I am planning on sticking with this set-up.

DownTheLine
08-08-2009, 09:29 PM
I donít understand why a lot of ppl say polys are hard to string. To me, I think polys are one of the easiest and safest strings to string, and just as easy as the others (except NatGut). By safe I mean, to me, polys are more resistant to kinks due to their stiff nature... Or maybe it's just the way I do things??
$5 more for poly job? Lawl

Poly also stays coiled causing it harder to string. Crossing polys isn't as easy as crossing Multis and syn guts...

toeknee
08-08-2009, 09:32 PM
widen the grommet hole with an awl BEFORE stringing. I like to use a little chape stick on the awl before sticking it in.

toeknee
08-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Poly also stays coiled causing it harder to string. Crossing polys isn't as easy as crossing Multis and syn guts...

coil memory? eh, its alright.
Crossing polys? try stringing one ahead on ALL string jobs and stop weaving on the last 2-3 crosses.

pvaudio
08-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Good God, I tried stringing some Alu rough last night, and that **** fought like Holyfield. Pro Hurricane is like stringing butter in comparison. I guess stringing NRG2 would then be like sex, but stringing sex isn't really anything but creepy.

Steve Huff
08-08-2009, 10:10 PM
I sympathize with you Mansewerz. Trying to put a multi through CAP grommets at the bottom where there's a blocked hole is tough too. At the top, I ALWAYS preweave the top 2 or 3 crosses.

On the O3 Silver. The problem is only with the last tie-off isn't it? If you cut an extra foot for the crosses, you can weave 1 ahead and put the end of the string into the second to last cross hole BEFORE tensioning the second to last cross, and you'll be ok.

Try stringing and old Dunlop Black Max, or a Blackburne Double Strung, or any Spaghetti pattern.

Virtua Tennis
08-08-2009, 11:05 PM
You want to see a stringer cry give him a couple of Badminton racquets to string.

Worse would be badminton racquets strung at 25 pounds. :cry:

Eiffel59
08-09-2009, 12:32 AM
I sympathize with you Mansewerz. Trying to put a multi through CAP grommets at the bottom where there's a blocked hole is tough too. At the top, I ALWAYS preweave the top 2 or 3 crosses.

On the O3 Silver. The problem is only with the last tie-off isn't it? If you cut an extra foot for the crosses, you can weave 1 ahead and put the end of the string into the second to last cross hole BEFORE tensioning the second to last cross, and you'll be ok.

Try stringing and old Dunlop Black Max, or a Blackburne Double Strung, or any Spaghetti pattern.

Or a Mad Raq, or even only a "simplier" McGregor Bergelin Long String or Power Angle... :D