PDA

View Full Version : Is it only Brits and Serbs who root for Muzza and Joker?

CountryHillbilly
08-08-2009, 01:30 AM
Because that's what it looks like...

Anyone else?

Oh yeah, any non-Americans rooting for Roddick?

maximo
08-08-2009, 01:34 AM
80 % of these boards cosists of Fed fans. And 75 % of them hate Murray and Djokovic.

It's just because they know that both have schooled Federer in the past.

ChanceEncounter
08-08-2009, 01:54 AM
80 % of these boards cosists of Fed fans. And 75 % of them hate Murray and Djokovic.

And he's also schooled both of them. In grand slams on their best surfaces, no less. What's your point?

And no, I like both of them and I'm neither British nor Serbian.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 01:57 AM
I think...that the Brits and the Serbian ppl have a stronger sense of nationalism (look at football) then lets say the Swiss (Where skiing is sport no 1). Therefore when someone good comes along everyone picks up on that,and Murrays popularity is helped a great deal with the fact that Britain hosts Wimbledon and the YEC this year

Crispix
08-08-2009, 01:57 AM
I'm Australian and I Dislike Hewitt

My favourite Player is Andy Roddick

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 01:59 AM

It could be that way, i see nothing wrong with that at all, Im Swedish and the only time i root for Soderling is when he plays Nadal Murray and Djokovic.
Why isnt Hewitt popular in Australia?

gunnd5000
08-08-2009, 02:04 AM
Im a roddick fan from Scotland

CountryHillbilly
08-08-2009, 02:05 AM

But Australians have plenty of other players than Hewitt to be proud of (hint: the one and only Stosur).

Brits didn't have a serious slam contender for a long, long time and Serbs had nobody other than Seles who eventually took US citizenship (and perhaps Ivanisevic, a Croat actually).

maximo
08-08-2009, 02:09 AM
But Australians have plenty of other players than Hewitt to be proud of (hint: the one and only Stosur).

Brits didn't have a serious slam contender for a long, long time and Serbs had nobody other than Seles who eventually took US citizenship (and perhaps Ivanisevic, a Croat actually).

Not really.

Henman could of and should of won Wimbledon once.

batz
08-08-2009, 02:14 AM
Good thread.

I'm a Scot/Brit. I guess I do root for Murray because of where he and I come from. I don't live far from Dunblane, that has had a major bearing on my supporting him. In my defence, Scotland is a little country with zero tennis success to date. The probability of a top class tennis player emerging from a country with our tennis history and less than 5 million people is probably miniscule, and yet one has - dealing with some pretty awful stuff along the way.

For the record, I also like to see all Americans and Aussies do well, especially Roddick - who I root for against anyone but Murray.

CountryHillbilly
08-08-2009, 02:15 AM
Not really.

You mean 2001 when he was leading against Goran?

But it was funny how he owned Fed in those days. :)

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 02:16 AM
Good thread.

I'm a Scot/Brit. I guess I do root for Murray because of where he and I come from. I don't live far from Dunblane, that has had a major bearing on my supporting him. In my defence, Scotland is a little country with zero tennis success to date. The probability of a top class tennis player emerging from a country with our tennis history and less than 5 million people is probably miniscule, and yet one has - dealing with some pretty awful stuff along the way.

For the record, I also like to see all Americans and Aussies do well, especially Roddick - who I root for against anyone but Murray.
Yeah, have to agree on this one...that Dunblane,Scotland would have a contender for GS and hell even the world no1 spot to me was as likely as if Nigeria would win silver in the icehockey world-championships

maximo
08-08-2009, 02:17 AM
You mean 2001 when he was leading against Goran?

But it was funny how he owned Fed in those days. :)

Owned Federer on his favorite surface. ;)

Yes, Had he reached the final in 01 i think would have won.

dragonfire
08-08-2009, 02:17 AM
i like every player for different reasons. I like murray because he's british, but i like roddick for the way he plays and for who he is.

i disagree with some people when they say 75% of people hate murray because he's schooled federer, i think it's down to the fact they might not like him as a person or a player.

batz
08-08-2009, 02:19 AM
Yeah, have to agree on this one...that Dunblane,Scotland would have a contender for GS and hell even the world no1 spot to me was as likely as if Nigeria would win silver in the icehockey world-championships

LOL :) Great analogy MOP. I don't think people realise, given the context, just how unlikely an event the emergence of Murray is.

CountryHillbilly
Good thread.

Oh, Dunblane, yeah, that explains the connection.

Why did Scotland suck at tennis? They are just next to the English, I mean.

I know that Monty Python scene where aliens want to win Wimbledon by turning Englishmen into Scots. :)

ivan987
I'm Croatian and I like Djokovic, I don't care about his personality (or any player's personality) because I'm interested only in tennis and nothing else. I like his game, the way his strokes look and work, and also some of his strokes resemble mine so that's an immediate connection.

dragonfire
08-08-2009, 02:21 AM
I'm Croatian and I like Djokovic, I don't care about his personality (or any player's personality) because I'm interested only in tennis and nothing else. I like his game, the way his strokes look and work, and also some of his strokes resemble mine so that's an immediate connection.

nice post

10 chars

maximo
08-08-2009, 02:22 AM
Good thread.

Tennis in the UK is dying. Most people play tennis when Wimbledon is on and then revert back to football and other sports once it finishes. It's a shame really.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 02:23 AM
LOL :) Great analogy MOP. I don't think people realise, given the context, just how unlikely an event the emergence of Murray is.
Well thank you:) Agree, but was Murray "trained" in Dunblane or did he get his tennis-education somewhere else?

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 02:25 AM
Tennis in the UK is dying. Most people play tennis when Wimbledon is on and then revert back to football and other sports once it finishes. It's a shame really.
Really?? But u have Laura Robson and Andy Murray...the interest should be VERY HIGH! No ofense but the national football team hasnt had a lot of succes lately...

TheFifthSet
08-08-2009, 02:26 AM
I'm a fan of many players . . . . granted, one reason of why I like Djokovic is because of my patriotistic inclinations, but over time I've gotten to like him as a person and that in turn made me an even bigger fan.

Not really.

Pet peeve: (would of, could of, should of.)

"General Motor's financial outlook would make an accountant weep more than any other corporation's would, of the businesses in the Fortune 500."

I'm trying to think of other examples, but in general, this I would imagine is the right context to use either of the three.

dragonfire
08-08-2009, 02:27 AM

well, i think it could be down to the fact that you need to be rich and determined, and many people in our country aren't. All my mates are into football - simply because its working class. I for one would be out playing tennis more often if it was cheap, as it turns out, it isn't, so i resort to boxing and football too.

dragonfire
08-08-2009, 02:28 AM
Really?? But u have Laura Robson and Andy Murray...the interest should be VERY HIGH! No ofense but the national football team hasnt had a lot of succes lately...

England aren't exactly the most athletic country in the world

maximo
08-08-2009, 02:28 AM

Haha you haven't got a clue.

Murray's the only British player in the top 100. The next Brit is ranked 180 in the world.

CountryHillbilly
08-08-2009, 02:29 AM

English National Team is a football equivalent of Marat Safin, or Gulbis ...

TheMagicianOfPrecision
well, i think it could be down to the fact that you need to be rich and determined, and many people in our country aren't. All my mates are into football - simply because its working class. I for one would be out playing tennis more often if it was cheap, as it turns out, it isn't, so i resort to boxing and football too.
You made a VERY good point here "dragonfire"...Ive played in England a couple of times and i even got yelled at for playing without a shirt--its maybe still a little to snobby right??
In Sweden nowadays Tennis is a working-class sport, ive seen so many places in USA and Germany where tennis was only for the rich, thats such a shame! Imagine how many talents go to waste that way...really sad...

Lionheart392
I'm British and hate Murray. Although this country has plenty of Murray lovers, there are plenty who dislike him too, mainly because of his awful personality. I'd say I know more people who dislike him than like him actually.
I like Djokovic though :)

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 02:30 AM
I see, well they should have NEVER sacked Sven-Goran Eriksson! (Swede:twisted:)

maximo
08-08-2009, 02:31 AM
England aren't exactly the most athletic country in the world

The Gold medals at the Olympics says otherwise.

dragonfire
08-08-2009, 02:31 AM
You made a VERY good point here "dragonfire"...Ive played in England a couple of times and i even got yelled at for playing without a shirt--its maybe still a little to snobby right??
In Sweden nowadays Tennis is a working-class sport, ive seen so many places in USA and Germany where tennis was only for the rich, thats such a shame! Imagine how many talents go to waste that way...really sad...

well, a lot of places in England are frowned a bit for being rough. I get whistled at in the street by many girls, you just have to deal with it :)

lol, i was kiddin', where did you go in england???

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 02:32 AM
Haha you haven't got a clue.

Murray's the only British player in the top 100. The next Brit is ranked 180 in the world.
Well yeah but the prospect for the future looks great both for Murray and Robson, and if they do really well lots of British kids will storm into tennisclubs all over England, thats what happened in Sweden this spring/summer after Robin Soderling went into the FO-final.

maximo
I see, well they should have NEVER sacked Sven-Goran Eriksson! (Swede:twisted:)

He was an awful manager. Deserved what he got.

batz
Oh, Dunblane, yeah, that explains the connection.

Why did Scotland suck at tennis? They are just next to the English, I mean.

I know that Monty Python scene where aliens want to win Wimbledon by turning Englishmen into Scots. :)

CHB - Even when Great Britain had good tennis players, they seldom if ever came from Scotland - they were almost exclusively English. Someone could probably get a PhD thesis on the back of this, but my tuppence worth is this:

Tennis in the UK has nearly always been the exclusive domain of what is termed 'the middle-classes'. Hisotrically, Scotland has always had a proportionally smaller 'middle-class' than England. This meant that only a small subset of an already small country (5M) ever got to play the game.

Although there were tennis clubs from way back (my club was formed in the 1880s) - there was never a 'critical mass' of players. Also the weather is a big factor in Scotland, with limited (but improving) indoor facilities.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 02:33 AM
well, a lot of places in England are frowned a bit for being rough. I get whistled at in the street by many girls, you just have to deal with it :)

lol, i was kiddin', where did you go in england???
Ive played in Winchester, Manchester and in London

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 02:35 AM
He was an awful manager. Deserved what he got.
Oh come on!!! Hes got the best winning-percentage in the History of the English National team!!

dragonfire
08-08-2009, 02:35 AM
The Gold medals at the Olympics says otherwise.

i'm talking about football, tennis, rugby and sports like that, we haven't developed great players up until murray and Khan. England to well in olympics, and other sports should learn from that (more work you put in - the more you get out), but many people don't get the opportunity to play sports or just can't be bothered

batz
08-08-2009, 02:36 AM
Well thank you:) Agree, but was Murray "trained" in Dunblane or did he get his tennis-education somewhere else?

He lived in Dunblane until he was 15, then he spent around 18 months at Sanchez-Casal in Barcelona. the majority of his tennis youth was based out of Dunblane. It helped that his Mother was a coach.

dragonfire
08-08-2009, 02:36 AM
Ive played in Winchester, Manchester and in London

London is quite rough, Manchester is rough, dunno about Winchester

batz
08-08-2009, 02:37 AM
i'm talking about football, tennis, rugby and sports like that, we haven't developed great players up until murray and Khan. England to well in olympics, and other sports should learn from that (more work you put in - the more you get out), but many people don't get the opportunity to play sports or just can't be bothered

England doesn't compete in the Olympics ;)

TheMagicianOfPrecision
He lived in Dunblane until he was 15, then he spent around 18 months at Sanchez-Casal in Barcelona. the majority of his tennis youth was based out of Dunblane. It helped that his Mother was a coach.
I see, Sanchez-Casal? Hm he should have done better results on clay then? Strange that he likes HC the most...His mother is a coach???

maximo
Oh come on!!! Hes got the best winning-percentage in the History of the English National team!!

No World Cup or Euro cup = bad manger.

BTW, do you know of this scandal which occured with this tv presenter?

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 02:38 AM
Winchester was south-west of London i think, very upscale, grasscourts everywhere. I liked London but i guess we were in the nicer parts of it.

batz
08-08-2009, 02:38 AM

Not to mention his performance with the laydees. Quite remarkable for an ageing Montgomery Burns lookey-likey. Kudos to the man.

dragonfire
08-08-2009, 02:39 AM

don't blame the manager, blame the team.

is miles mclagen a bad manager because murray hasn't won a slam yet, obviously he will at one point, but you can't say that someone is a bad manager because there players are not performing

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 02:39 AM

BTW, do you know of this scanda which occured with this tv presenter?
Well, England should lower their expectations...the world has developed a lot since 1966...:shock:

maximo
08-08-2009, 02:40 AM
Not to mention his performance with the laydees. Quite remarkable for an ageing Montgomery Burns lookey-likey. Kudos to the man.

lol!

I just mentioned about that in the post abouve. :D

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 02:40 AM

BTW, do you know of this scandal which occured with this tv presenter?
Yes i know everything about it:) It was huge in Sweden at the time, Ulrika.

maximo
08-08-2009, 02:41 AM
don't blame the manager, blame the team.

is miles mclagen a bad manager because murray hasn't won a slam yet, obviously he will at one point, but you can't say that someone is a bad manager because there players are not performing

Comparing tennis to football is the wrong way to go about this.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 02:41 AM
Lol, yes in Sweden we call him monty burns to, but hes got cash, and apparently he is a nympho.

batz
08-08-2009, 02:43 AM
I see, Sanchez-Casal? Hm he should have done better results on clay then? Strange that he likes HC the most...His mother is a coach???

Indeed. If you check out his ATP bio (which was clearly started just after he turned pro in 2005) it even says 'his favourite surface is clay'!:)

His Mother is a former Scottish number 1 lady turned coach. I think's she's currently head coach for Scotland and something else at UK level with the LTA. Her father was a pro footballer I think. Sport in the genes and all that.

maximo
Yes i know everything about it:) It was huge in Sweden at the time, Ulrika.

She won a show called "Celebrity Big Brother" i'm sure that was big news too.

dragonfire
Comparing tennis to football is the wrong way to go about this.

no, i'm just putting your comments in another scenario, i was just trying to tell you that it's the manager/coaches knowledge that helps, but the players need to step up to the plate and start performing

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 02:48 AM
She won a show called "Celebrity Big Brother" i'm sure that was big news too.
Yes she did, and she beded Svennis at the time of the World Cup of 2002 and the English journalists went absolutely berserk!! It was crazy, they even chased him into the deepest woods of Sweden to his moms home and demanded FA to sack his ***, did he learn a lesson? No, couple of years later he lied to the FA about not nailing Faria Alam, which he did repeatedly,but didnt get sacked then either, he is a very lucky man. Always rides the storms out.

settolove
08-08-2009, 02:50 AM

1) England don't compete in the Olympics
2) I think you'll find that Britain do pretty well at rugby. England won the world cup before the last one, and got to the final of the last one. And there are plenty of great players.

The lack of Tennis players in the UK is down to the weather, lack of indoor courts and not pushing it in schools. We would play tennis in summer for a couple of weeks, there was no tuition - you were just given a ball and bats and left to get on with it. There are a lot of other sports which are given a higher priority.

Anyway I'm a brit who can't stand Murray - he's got this petulant air of entitlement about him. He seems like a miserable so and so, he's always whinging about something e.g beat Stan at Wimbledon and was complaining he wasn't told he was playing under the roof.

maximo
08-08-2009, 02:51 AM
Yes she did, and she beded Svennis at the time of the World Cup of 2002 and the English journalists went absolutely berserk!! It was crazy, they even chased him into the deepest woods of Sweden to his moms home and demanded FA to sack his ***, did he learn a lesson? No, couple of years later he lied to the FA about not nailing Faria Alam, which he did repeatedly,but didnt get sacked then either, he is a very lucky man. Always rides the storms out.

How big is Abba in Sweden?

I think they are too big here in the UK.

That didn't stop me watching the film though. :evil:

Clydey2times
08-08-2009, 02:52 AM

England is not the national team of Great Britain. The constituent countries have separate international teams, as they are countries in their own right.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 02:54 AM
How big is Abba in Sweden?

I think they are too big here in the UK.

That didn't stop me watching the film though. :evil:
Well they used to be huge in Sweden, our version of the Beatles.
The film was ok imo

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 02:55 AM
England is not the national team of Great Britain. The constituent countries have separate international teams, as they are countries in their own right.
Oh ok i see, so where was Laura Robson born...?

Clydey2times
08-08-2009, 02:57 AM

It's also not the British national team. Murray and Robson were named. One would support Scotland, while the other would support England. The English football team is not the national team of Great Britain

It's important people make the distinction. Scotland's identity is getting stripped away due to people thinking that it's a part of England. The constituent countries are nations in their own right and existed long, long before the union.

Clydey2times
08-08-2009, 02:58 AM
Oh ok i see, so where was Laura Robson born...?

Australia. She considers herself English, though, I guess. She's lived in England for a while and her father is English, I think.

maximo
08-08-2009, 02:59 AM
Australia. She considers herself English, though, I guess. She's lived in England for a while and her father is English, I think.

Talking about Robson, i think she was unlucky to lose against Azarenka during Wimbledon. Infact, i think she just choked after winning the first set.

batz
08-08-2009, 03:02 AM
It's also not the British national team. Murray and Robson were named. One would support Scotland, while the other would support England. The English football team is not the national team of Great Britain

It's important people make the distinction. Scotland's identity is getting stripped away due to people thinking that it's a part of England. The constituent countries are nations in their own right and existed long, long before the union.

Haw, Clydey "Wallace the Bruce" 2Times, ;) :) The boy (TMOP?) din't mean anything by it mate - he's Swedish FFS! :) He's not looking to subsume anyone's identity. The dark forces of Unionism have not infiltrated TW.

Chill dude.

CountryHillbilly
08-08-2009, 03:03 AM
CHB - Even when Great Britain had good tennis players, they seldom if ever came from Scotland - they were almost exclusively English. Someone could probably get a PhD thesis on the back of this, but my tuppence worth is this:

Tennis in the UK has nearly always been the exclusive domain of what is termed 'the middle-classes'. Hisotrically, Scotland has always had a proportionally smaller 'middle-class' than England. This meant that only a small subset of an already small country (5M) ever got to play the game.

Although there were tennis clubs from way back (my club was formed in the 1880s) - there was never a 'critical mass' of players. Also the weather is a big factor in Scotland, with limited (but improving) indoor facilities.

By those standards, Serbia is even worse. It is even poorer, without many facilities or tennis tradition. It was a lot of luck and inspiration by Seles that created Novak and the 2 girls.

OK, I am well aware that Scotland has a different team. It's the english footbal team that was badly underperforming when it had great players.

batz
08-08-2009, 03:04 AM
Talking about Robson, i think she was unlucky to lose against Azarenka during Wimbledon. Infact, i think she just choked after winning the first set.

Whisper it, but you're right. Nobody said it though did they? I also thought she looked a bit chunkier than the last time I saw her.

batz
08-08-2009, 03:05 AM
By those standards, Serbia is even worse. It is even poorer, without many facilities or tennis tradition. It was a lot of luck and inspiration by Seles that created Novak and the 2 girls.

Agreed. The recent emergence of the Serbians is equally if not more remarkable.

maximo
08-08-2009, 03:05 AM

Is Serbia nice? Djokovic seems to prefer Monte Carlo. :)

Clydey2times
08-08-2009, 03:07 AM
Haw, Clydey "Wallace the Bruce" 2Times, ;) :) The boy (TMOP?) din't mean anything by it mate - he's Swedish FFS! :) He's not looking to subsume anyone's identity. The dark forces of Unionism have not infiltrated TW.

Chill dude.

I am chilled. What ****es me off is when people tell me to chill even when I'm perfectly calm. My post wasn't intended to be a dig. I was just correcting the guy. Why assume that I was having a go at him?

Genuinely, few things **** me off more than someone telling me to calm down, as though I'm foaming at the mouth. I couldn't have been more in control of my emotions when I wrote that post. I made the same point as you, except I didn't put a smiley at the end.

maximo
08-08-2009, 03:07 AM

Whisper it, but you're right. Nobody said it though did they? I also thought she looked a bit chunkier than the last time I saw her.

Same in the Juniors. She lost to a nobody. :(

Watched the match on good old BBC interactive. ;)

CountryHillbilly
08-08-2009, 03:08 AM
Agreed. The recent emergence of the Serbians is equally if not more remarkable.

I think they all left Serbia at the age of 10-12. Jankovic went to Bollettieri, Novak to Nikola Pilic. I'm not sure how much Serbia can take credit for their development. Actually I don't know a lot about this. Zagor probably knows more.

None of them live in Serbia, of course. Partly because of taxes, partly because it's nicer outside.

maximo
08-08-2009, 03:11 AM
I think they all left Serbia at the age of 10-12. Jankovic went to Bollettieri, Novak to Nikola Pilic. I'm not sure how much Serbia can take credit for their development. Actually I don't know a lot about this. Zagor probably knows more.

None of them live in Serbia, of course. Partly because of taxes, partly because it's nicer outside.

I know for it's for tax reasons, but is Serbia worth visiting?

I was thinking of going to Croatia next summer.

CountryHillbilly
08-08-2009, 03:17 AM
I know for it's for tax reasons, but is Serbia worth visiting?

I was thinking of going to Croatia next summer.

If you like sea and the coast, Croatia has one of the best, and it should be more affordable than others. Basically, anything on the coast is awesome.

Serbia is more of an acquired taste. Belgrade has great night-life, and there is a folk music festival going on this time of the year (Guca) that some people like. Some foreigners like Serbia A LOT, some not so.

If you don't mind Novak Djokovic's attitude, you may like Serbia :)

batz
08-08-2009, 03:18 AM
I am chilled. What ****es me off is when people tell me to chill even when I'm perfectly calm. My post wasn't intended to be a dig. I was just correcting the guy. Why assume that I was having a go at him?

Genuinely, few things **** me off more than someone telling me to calm down, as though I'm foaming at the mouth. I couldn't have been more in control of my emotions when I wrote that post. I made the same point as you, except I didn't put a smiley at the end.

Then your prose style bears no relation your mood. I associate hyperbole with raised emotions (and talking about national identity being stripped after an innocent mistake is hyperbole).

My apologies for ******* you off, it wasn't my intention.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 03:25 AM
My personal experience, NO.
Lots of ppl everywhere trying to rip u off,but i guess thats the story for lots of places these days.

CountryHillbilly
08-08-2009, 03:28 AM
Lots of ppl everywhere trying to rip u off,but i guess thats the story for lots of places these days.

Yeah, if you don't know your way around Belgrade, then it will probably suck. But if you know someone who can take you to all the right places, then it can be very cool.

And the most important, girls look like Ana Ivanovic, and guys have attitude like Novak Djokovic. How can anyone have a problem with that? ;)

maximo
08-08-2009, 03:32 AM
If you like sea and the coast, Croatia has one of the best, and it should be more affordable than others. Basically, anything on the coast is awesome.

Serbia is more of an acquired taste. Belgrade has great night-life, and there is a folk music festival going on this time of the year (Guca) that some people like. Some foreigners like Serbia A LOT, some not so.

If you don't mind Novak Djokovic's attitude, you may like Serbia :)

I LOVE the sea! :D

What's wrong With Novak's attitude? He speaks very good English, more articulate than Nadal, Federer and even Murray. ;)

Telepatic
08-08-2009, 03:33 AM
I live in Belgrade, and if you get known with good places you can really enjoy here.
People ripping off tourist is unfortunately common (of course, you got alot of good guys here aswell..) so its good to get in friendship with some Serb to enjoy more and spend less..

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 03:33 AM
Yeah, if you don't know your way around Belgrade, then it will probably suck. But if you know someone who can take you to all the right places, then it can be very cool.

And the most important, girls look like Ana Ivanovic, and guys have attitude like Novak Djokovic. How can anyone have a problem with that? ;)
Yeah, the girls very pretty good-looking i have to admit, although not many girls looked like Ana...

CountryHillbilly
08-08-2009, 03:35 AM
I live in Belgrade, and if you get known with good places you can really enjoy here.
People ripping off tourist is unfortunately common so its good to get in friendship with some Serb to enjoy more and spend less..

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. If you know your way around Belgrade, then you will have a great time. Some people even like Gucha :confused:

I LOVE the sea! :D

What's wrong With Novak's attitude? He speaks very good English, more articulate than Nadal, Federer and even Murray. ;)

Ask the Magician ;) Just joking. Novak is OK, and so are most Serbs when you get to know them.

maximo
08-08-2009, 03:38 AM

Ever been to Egypt? I was swarmed by hungry beggars for a few coins. ;)

I see, multiple Ana Ivanovic look alikes? Nice. :D

Clydey2times
08-08-2009, 03:38 AM
Then your prose style bears no relation your mood. I associate hyperbole with raised emotions (and talking about national identity being stripped after an innocent mistake is hyperbole).

My apologies for ******* you off, it wasn't my intention.

I didn't say that he was stripping Scotland of its national identity. I'm not that dramatic. I said Scotland's national identity is getting stripped away because people think that it's a part of England. There's a huge difference between that and pointing the finger at someone specific and accusing them of stripping Scotland of its identity.

My prose style has nothing to do with this. You read way too much into what I said and seemingly felt that I was blaming CHB for stripping Scotland of its identity. If you read what I said carefully, it's pretty clear I did no such thing. I don't appreciate being told off just because I don't tag a ;) onto the end of my posts. You and I made the same point. I simply elaborated more. I'd rather explain to someone why they are wrong, as opposed to simply telling them that they are wrong.

Sorry if you think I'm taking this too far and having a go at you, but I'm tired of people skimming posts and misinterpreting what others say. You're a good guy, Batz, and I like you. However, you and I have a different approach to these discussions. I'm more passionate about trying to set someone straight if I think they are wrong. You obviously have a more lighthearted approach.

batz
08-08-2009, 03:45 AM
I didn't say that he was stripping Scotland of its national identity. I'm not that dramatic. I said Scotland's national identity is getting stripped away because people think that it's a part of England. There's a huge difference between that and pointing the finger at someone specific and accusing them of stripping Scotland of its identity.

My prose style has nothing to do with this. You read way too much into what I said and seemingly felt that I was blaming CHB for stripping Scotland of its identity. If you read what I said carefully, it's pretty clear I did no such thing. I don't appreciate being told off just because I don't tag a ;) onto the end of my posts. You and I made the same point. I simply elaborated more. I'd rather explain to someone why they are wrong, as opposed to simply telling them that they are wrong.

Sorry if you think I'm taking this too far and having a go at you, but I'm tired of people skimming posts and misinterpreting what others say. You're a good guy, Batz, and I like you. However, you and I have a different approach to these discussions. I'm more passionate about trying to set someone straight if I think they are wrong. You obviously have a more lighthearted approach.

Hey, don't worry about it mate. You and I ain't falling out over it. Like I said, I didn't mean to pee anyone off. Apologies again for having done so.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 03:47 AM

I see, multiple Ana Ivanovic look alikes? Nice. :D
Yes i have, but if you were you were probably in Hurghada or Cairo?? Theres lots of nicer places than that

maximo
08-08-2009, 03:49 AM
Yes i have, but if you were you were probably in Hurghada or Cairo?? Theres lots of nicer places than that

I was in Luxor and went to Cairo. :)

CountryHillbilly
08-08-2009, 03:51 AM

I knew since I was 6 that Scotland is different from England and that it has a separate football team. England, Wales, Scotland, N.Ireland and Faroe Islands all have separate teams.

I like those Faroe Islands. Ther were always nice for making up the goal difference. :)

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 03:51 AM
I was in Luxor and went to Cairo. :)
Well there you go:)

batz
08-08-2009, 03:53 AM
I knew since I was 6 that Scotland is different from England and that it has a separate football team. England, Wales, Scotland, N.Ireland and Faroe Islands all have separate teams.

I like those Faroe Islands. Ther were always nice for making up the goal difference. :)

Faroe Islands:confused:

slice bh compliment
08-08-2009, 03:56 AM
I'm British and hate Murray..... because of his awful personality. ...I like Djokovic though :)

That's hilarious.

I like Muzzer's game. I root for him. I'm American. His personality has really improved the past year or two. I preferred the less-contrived look of his early years, though.
I don't like Novak's personality, but his tennis is okay with me.
I dislike Roddick's game, but I root for him in Davis Cup and against most opponents except Roger, Rafa, Muzzer, Baghdatis, Tsonga, Gasquet, Blake, Kohli and Haas. I wear the same shoes he does and I don't mind that his signature is on them.

CountryHillbilly
08-08-2009, 03:57 AM
Faroe Islands:confused:

No, wait. Faroes are not part of Britain.

So is there any other region apart from Eng, Wales, Scot and N.Ireland??

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 03:58 AM
That's hilarious.

I like Muzzer's game. I root for him. I'm American. His personality has really improved the past year or two. I preferred the less-contrived look of his early years, though.
I dislike Roddick's game, but I root for him in Davis Cup and against most opponents except Roger, Rafa, Muzzer, Baghdatis, Tsonga, Gasquet, Blake, Kohli and Haas. I wear the same shoes he does and I don't mind that his signature is on them.
From reading this lemme guess...you used to be a huge Johnny Mac fan right?:twisted: (be honest)

maximo
08-08-2009, 04:01 AM
Well there you go:)

Don't get me wrong, the places were very interesting and my word it was blimey hot when i went!

slice bh compliment
08-08-2009, 04:03 AM
From reading this lemme guess...you used to be a huge Johnny Mac fan right?:twisted: (be honest)

Absolutely. Very good.

What gave it away?
Liking Murray's game?
Davis Cup love?
Liking the brown-afro on a pasty white kid?
The preference for the 1 handed BH?
The fact that I'm an American male in my 40s -- th sweetspot demographic for McEnroe fandom?

batz
08-08-2009, 04:04 AM
No, wait. Faroes are not part of Britain.

So is there any other region apart from Eng, Wales, Scot and N.Ireland??

Nope - you've got them. Those countries are the constitiuent parts of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. There are couple of anomalies i.e. Channel Islands and Man, but those are the countries.

maximo
08-08-2009, 04:12 AM
That's hilarious.

Yeah,

In a recent interview Murray was speaking about how everyone thinks he's grumpy on court, when off court he's really different.

FlamEnemY
08-08-2009, 04:41 AM

It's amazing how many languages they can speak and how they know EXACTLY where you are from and how to speak to you. Got to admit, business at it's best. :)

On topic, I am no particular fan of Murray, don't 'hate' but also don't admire him much. His talent is unquestionable, but still...
I like Djokovic though. And I'm no Serbian, only a serbian neighbour. ;)

dragonfire
08-08-2009, 04:44 AM
murray is talented, but he could be the next nalbandian, with more masters series events under his belt

~ZoSo~
08-08-2009, 05:28 AM

Tennis is a total rich kids game in the uk. Its not played in schools, there are hardly any maintained public courts and private clubs price out the majority of kids in the country.

maximo
08-08-2009, 05:30 AM
Tennis is a total rich kids game in the uk. Its not played in schools, there are hardly any maintained public courts and private clubs price out the majority of kids in the country.

There is one private place in London where i can sneak in during late hours and not pay a penny. :evil:

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 05:31 AM
Absolutely. Very good.

What gave it away?
Liking Murray's game?
Davis Cup love?
Liking the brown-afro on a pasty white kid?
The preference for the 1 handed BH?
The fact that I'm an American male in my 40s -- th sweetspot demographic for McEnroe fandom?
Id have to say it was the liking for the brown-afro pasty white kid and his early outbursts:)

Ljubicic for number1
08-08-2009, 06:14 AM
Aussie here, I barrack for Novak, hate Hewitt.

batz
08-08-2009, 06:29 AM

It costs 35 for my 11 year old to be member of our club for the year. 120 for the 2 of us. I do accept other clubs are much more expensive and exclusive.

~ZoSo~
08-08-2009, 06:41 AM
It costs 35 for my 11 year old to be member of our club for the year. 120 for the 2 of us. I do accept other clubs are much more expensive and exclusive.

Does that price include coaching?

JeMar
08-08-2009, 06:45 AM
Owned Federer on his favorite surface. ;)

Yes, Had he reached the final in 01 i think would have won.

Rafter was 2.5x the tennis player that Henman was.

A lot of people forget just how epic Henman's mental breakdown was in that semi-final against Goran.

batz
08-08-2009, 06:48 AM
Does that price include coaching?

No - that's just to use the facilities. Coaching costs more.

JeMar
08-08-2009, 06:49 AM
I used to be a pretty big Djokovic fan, but I can't stand how he's looked on court for the majority of this year. That attitude has been a big turn-off.

I will root for Murray depending on which one shows up on the court. If he's being respectful and playing aggressively, I will cheer him on. If he puts on his counter-puncher hat, I like to see him lose in hopes that he'll change his game around. It's unrealistic, but it's just sports.

I'm American, but I'm pretty iffy in my support of Roddick. I will only cheer him on if he's got a chance to pull off an upset, which means that I'll cheer for him if he's playing the "big four." On any other occasion, I'll probably want the upset.

maximo
08-08-2009, 06:50 AM

Interesting.

How are the facilities Batz?

S H O W S T O P P E R !
08-08-2009, 06:54 AM
I don't root for anyone, I just watch and savor every point of a match.

batz
08-08-2009, 07:07 AM
Interesting.

How are the facilities Batz?

They're pretty simple. 3 hardcourts and a small clubhouse. The price does include balls, which are available in the clubhouse for 'free'. The courts are flood lit, but you have to pay a small amount for their use.

maximo
08-08-2009, 07:09 AM
I for one would be out playing tennis more often if it was cheap, as it turns out, it isn't, so i resort to boxing and football too.

Hey Hate Machine/Manny pacquiao p4p/Galactico. :lol:

Getting banned three times still hasn't stopped you coming back?

Mods will get you once again, troll. :roll:

NamRanger
08-08-2009, 07:15 AM
Rafter was 2.5x the tennis player that Henman was.

A lot of people forget just how epic Henman's mental breakdown was in that semi-final against Goran.

I wouldn't say Rafter was 2.5x the player Henman was, he was just more mentally solid. Henman had alot of game and alot of weapons, especially around 2002-2004 where he manage to put up quite an arsenal of weapons (good serve, excellent hands at the net, great movement, and solid groundstrokes).

The only problem was, as you said, was Tim Henman's head.

JeMar
08-08-2009, 07:30 AM
I wouldn't say Rafter was 2.5x the player Henman was, he was just more mentally solid. Henman had alot of game and alot of weapons, especially around 2002-2004 where he manage to put up quite an arsenal of weapons (good serve, excellent hands at the net, great movement, and solid groundstrokes).

The only problem was, as you said, was Tim Henman's head.

I was exaggerating with the 2.5x bit, but I'd still say that Rafter's game was overall stronger. Henman's groundies were much better, but Rafter knew he couldn't hang with many people on the baseline and adapted better to that. Henman oftentimes looked a little lost on the court. Also, Henman's service percentage was a pretty big liability given how often he stayed back on his second serve.

Dave M
08-08-2009, 07:30 AM

Not sure he has but he had the best generation of England players in a very long time andlargely wasted it.He got a lot more than he deservd from the FA and Man city when sacked namely in millions of pounds in compensation for not winning what he should.Still people are silly enough to give these contracts you wouldnt turn it down would you?!

NamRanger
08-08-2009, 07:33 AM
I was exaggerating with the 2.5x bit, but I'd still say that Rafter's game was overall stronger. Henman's groundies were much better, but Rafter knew he couldn't hang with many people on the baseline and adapted better to that. Henman oftentimes looked a little lost on the court. Also, Henman's service percentage was a pretty big liability given how often he stayed back on his second serve.

Well, that is more of a mental thing. Henman looking lost = him melting down as usual :(

dragonfire
08-08-2009, 07:37 AM

what are you talking about???

icedevil0289
08-08-2009, 07:38 AM
I'm not serbian and I'm a Djokovic fan. I honestly never gave a hoot where a player comes from, it's all about their tennis. Hence why, I don't get all excited when any american player does well, considering I'm not patriotic at all.

JeMar
08-08-2009, 07:38 AM
Well, that is more of a mental thing. Henman looking lost = him melting down as usual :(

I consider that more of a lack of drilling about matchplay situations, the game at that level is so much about twitch reflexes that there's not a lot of time to think, especially when one's own game is aggressive. But I can definitely see how it could also be considered a mental breakdown.

Dave M
08-08-2009, 07:44 AM

It might not be in schools in your area but there are all sorts of schools links through councils and the LTA. I used to go in and teach kids in their PE lessons or after school, there is a tennis coach near here that has about 3 kids in each of his first chool classes, brining them to the gaeat 5 years old is ideal.
COst me 4.80 for a court yesterday, what do the rest of you pay?

dragonfire
08-08-2009, 07:46 AM

oh, i must share some common interests with a few people who have been banned, and you suspect me of being one of those banned individuals, am i right?

maximo
08-08-2009, 07:49 AM
oh, i must share some common interests with a few people who have been banned, and you suspect me of being one of those banned individuals, am i right?

I trust Lifted though. He has always been right in spotting the other three accounts.

dragonfire
08-08-2009, 07:53 AM
I trust Lifted though. He has always been right in spotting the other three accounts.

what is lifted???

P_Agony
08-08-2009, 08:04 AM

Federer has schooled Murray and Djokovic where it matters - the slams. Murray and Djokovic can have the 3-setters.

Anyway, to the OP, I like Murray and I'm not british, but I can't stand Djokovic.

maximo
08-08-2009, 08:07 AM
Federer has schooled Murray and Djokovic where it matters - the slams. Murray and Djokovic can have the 3-setters.

Anyway, to the OP, I like Murray and I'm not british, but I can't stand Djokovic.

Federer has done it twice, Murray has done it 6 times. ;)

Let's see if they meet at the USO, i already know who would win.

dragonfire
08-08-2009, 08:09 AM
i like to watch murray matches, i think he will be the most successful player except for fed and maybe rafa, djokovic will need to improve to stop murray dominating.

i dislike djokovic, but he is still good and great for the game, anyone who can challenge the best players are respectable IMO.

JeMar
08-08-2009, 08:11 AM

Just how you knew that Murray would dominate Roddick based on their H2H?

The U.S. Open's Federer's backyard and he beat Murray in the money match last year, so I can't really see why people would choose Murray over Federer at Flushing Meadows.

JeMar
08-08-2009, 08:12 AM
i like to watch murray matches, i think he will be the most successful player except for fed and maybe rafa, djokovic will need to improve to stop murray dominating.

i dislike djokovic, but he is still good and great for the game, anyone who can challenge the best players are respectable IMO.

I think you're trying a little too hard not to look like Galactico here.

dragonfire
08-08-2009, 08:14 AM
I think you're trying a little too hard not to look like Galactico here.

i'm sorry, BUT WHO THE **** IS GALACTICO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it really is getting on my nerves

maximo
08-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Just how you knew that Murray would dominate Roddick based on their H2H?

The U.S. Open's Federer's backyard and he beat Murray in the money match last year, so I can't really see why people would choose Murray over Federer at Flushing Meadows.

Murray's improved from last year. Had he beaten Federer 4 times in a row before the USO match, then i would of agreed. Murray owns Federer atm, he knows how to beat him.

You don't beat someone 4 times and more importantly in a row unless their better when it comes to match ups.

P_Agony
08-08-2009, 08:17 AM

Murray vs. Federer on grand slams: 0-1
Djokovic vs. Federer on grand slams: 1-2

dragonfire
08-08-2009, 08:20 AM

actually, djokovic's record over everyone isn't that great

JeMar
08-08-2009, 08:23 AM
Murray's improved from last year. Had he beaten Federer 4 times in a row before the USO match, then i would of agreed. Murray owns Federer atm, he knows how to beat him.

You don't beat someone 4 times and more importantly in a row unless their better when it comes to match ups.

Murray's always given Federer problems, so it's not necessarily that he's gotten that much better. He's got a game plan, goes out, executes it, and lets the chips fall where they may. If you watch a Federer-Murray match from this year and you compare it to the match they play in Cincinnati a few years ago, you'll find that it's essentially the same match.

The longer the format of a match is, the less it is likely that an inferior player will pull off the win. This is what's helped Federer at the slams, and the reason why Federer has gone undefeated against players below#5 for the last several years, and why Murray still isn't a lock to get to the second week of slams.

maximo
08-08-2009, 08:26 AM

LOL.

Your backup is 1 win!?

You do make me laugh sometimes.

フェデラー
08-08-2009, 08:27 AM
if murray is so great why did he get raped at wimbledon twice in a row (08,09) care to explain?

diamondback
08-08-2009, 08:28 AM
i'm sorry, BUT WHO THE **** IS GALACTICO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it really is getting on my nerves

ah, man, i cant watch this any longer, this kid is gettin' bullied.

i confess, im hate machine/galctico/MPP4P king/ stardust breaker/roddickfan90/roddickrulz

P_Agony
08-08-2009, 08:29 AM
LOL.

You're backup is 1 win!?

It's not 1 win, it's one grand slam final, you know, the one who gave Federer his 13th grand slam trophy and made Murray stay with a big fat zero. That one.

JeMar
08-08-2009, 08:30 AM
LOL.

You're backup is 1 win!?

A picture is worth a thousand words. Two pictures are worth a million.

http://images.sportinglife.com/08/09/330/Roger-Federer-US-Open-2008-trophy_1181467.jpg

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00007/amurr_280x420_7078a.jpg

All-rounder
08-08-2009, 08:30 AM
LOL.

Your backup is 1 win!?

A win is a win isn't it :-?........Oh wait Federer has a a lead in their GS records to it doesn't count right

maximo
08-08-2009, 08:31 AM
It's not 1 win, it's one grand slam final, you know, the one who gave Federer his 13th grand slam trophy and made Murray stay with a big fat zero. That one.

A win is a win. Sorry to break that up to you.

Murray has 6 of them over your hero, just accept it.

P_Agony
08-08-2009, 08:32 AM

Oh I do accept it. In fact, I won't be surprsied if Murray wins the next match too. However, I'm sure Murray would rather trade all those wins for that one single US Open trophy.

All-rounder
08-08-2009, 08:33 AM

Funny how those six wins have given him 0 slams when 1 of Federer's 2 gave him a US open title in return

maximo
08-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Funny how those six wins have given him 0 slams when 1 of Federer's 2 gave him a US open title in return

That's going to change this fall, and i can't wait to witness that.

JeMar
08-08-2009, 08:35 AM

You need to be careful with your incessant need to jinx Murray. We all saw what happened at Wimbledon.

All-rounder
08-08-2009, 08:36 AM
Haha :) you said that at wimbledon. Look what happened, just make sure that if that happens at New york not to show yourself on these forums again

maximo
08-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Haha :) you said that at wimbledon. Look what happened, just make sure that if that happens at New york not to show yourself on these forums again

Oh i see, your telling me not to make fun of Fed fans if he beats your Federer at the USO?

I will, don't you worry.

All-rounder
08-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Oh i see, your telling me not to make fun of Fed fans if he beats your Federer at the USO?

I will, don't you worry.
:) he has to get past Roddick, Verdasco and Gonazalez first lol

CocaCola
08-08-2009, 09:01 AM
Hey, I'm from Italy and I am Djokovic's fan...grande Nole.

Nole migliore giocatore nel mondo...

drwood
08-08-2009, 09:29 AM

Serena and Venus are proof that you don't have to be rich to become good at tennis in the USA...

VivalaVida
08-08-2009, 09:34 AM
LOL.

Your backup is 1 win!?

That win was a GS final though. It has been the grandest stage those two have played on.

Serendipitous
08-08-2009, 09:34 AM
That win was a GS final though. It has been the grandest stage those two have played on.

VIVALAVIDA

VivalaVida
08-08-2009, 09:36 AM
VIVALAVIDA

SERENDIPITOUS

http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/6EFCD4E7EBC3406CBF9AD0B1712071E6.ashx?w=148&h=198http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/6EFCD4E7EBC3406CBF9AD0B1712071E6.ashx?w=148&h=198http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/6EFCD4E7EBC3406CBF9AD0B1712071E6.ashx?w=148&h=198http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/6EFCD4E7EBC3406CBF9AD0B1712071E6.ashx?w=148&h=198

Serendipitous
08-08-2009, 09:39 AM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/A28BC3E675EC4A349EAC30952581359F.ashx?w=148&h=198http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/A28BC3E675EC4A349EAC30952581359F.ashx?w=148&h=198http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/A28BC3E675EC4A349EAC30952581359F.ashx?w=148&h=198http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/A28BC3E675EC4A349EAC30952581359F.ashx?w=148&h=198

jamesblakefan#1
08-08-2009, 09:42 AM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/E53EB054FBA24716BE4755D957270A3E.ashx?w=148&h=198http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/E53EB054FBA24716BE4755D957270A3E.ashx?w=148&h=198http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/E53EB054FBA24716BE4755D957270A3E.ashx?w=148&h=198http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/E53EB054FBA24716BE4755D957270A3E.ashx?w=148&h=198

rommil
08-08-2009, 09:43 AM
I'm in the US and I don't like Roddick. Used to despise Murray up until he did that whole turn around. He's my 2nd best favorite player now.

Serendipitous
08-08-2009, 09:43 AM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/08389B70BC484BC7876F4821607C212C.ashx?w=148&h=198http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/08389B70BC484BC7876F4821607C212C.ashx?w=148&h=198http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/08389B70BC484BC7876F4821607C212C.ashx?w=148&h=198http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/08389B70BC484BC7876F4821607C212C.ashx?w=148&h=198

jamesblakefan#1
08-08-2009, 09:45 AM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/0771C515F7334CFDB9762B30A1607F95.ashx?w=148&h=198http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/0771C515F7334CFDB9762B30A1607F95.ashx?w=148&h=198http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/0771C515F7334CFDB9762B30A1607F95.ashx?w=148&h=198http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/0771C515F7334CFDB9762B30A1607F95.ashx?w=148&h=198

CountryHillbilly
08-08-2009, 09:47 AM
I know they always had bad pics on ATP website, but now they overdid themselves.

Serendipitous
08-08-2009, 09:47 AM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/27D378952F13417C92ABF1FB073D79E7.ashx?w=148&h=198http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/27D378952F13417C92ABF1FB073D79E7.ashx?w=148&h=198http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/27D378952F13417C92ABF1FB073D79E7.ashx?w=148&h=198http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/27D378952F13417C92ABF1FB073D79E7.ashx?w=148&h=198

Serendipitous
08-08-2009, 09:48 AM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/1718E6106895468A8786A86EC7F63A1C.ashx?w=148&h=198http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/1718E6106895468A8786A86EC7F63A1C.ashx?w=148&h=198http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/1718E6106895468A8786A86EC7F63A1C.ashx?w=148&h=198http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/1718E6106895468A8786A86EC7F63A1C.ashx?w=148&h=198

THESEXPISTOL
Why isnt Hewitt popular in Australia?

I guess that Hewitt is not popular all over the world.
That guy is the biggest jackass in tennis:

In a five set match with James Blake at the 2001 US Open, Hewitt complained to umpire Andreas Egli and asked for a black linesman to be moved after being called for two foot-faults in the third set. Hewitt approached the chair umpire and, pointing first to the offending linesman and then to Blake, said, "Look at him [the linesman] and you tell me what the similarity is."[11] Some witnesses, including Blake, had suggested that the "similarity" referred to the color shared by Blake and the linesman.[12] Hewitt claimed he had merely pointed out that the same linesman had foot-faulted him on both occasions, while other officials had made no such calls.

During the 2001 French Open he was fined US$1000 for calling Egli (see above), a "spastic". Hewitt denied this. [13][14]

Hewitt blamed his losses at the 2005 and 2006 Australian Open on uncooperative maintenance of the courts by the tournament directors. "I don't think there's been a lot of homework done on how the balls play on this surface ... Mate, it could be slower than the French Open." Hewitt was disappointed that the organisers had ignored his concerns about the courts. "I feel like I'm fighting with people that we should be working together to try and make Australian tennis better".[15] Since then, long-time Australian Open chief executive Paul McNamee has resigned, leaving new tournament director Craig Tiley to confirm that the main aim for 2007 was to provide "uniformity and consistency" when the stadium's match and practice courts were resurfaced in November 2006. The courts will be as fast as they were in the second week of the 2006 tournament.[16]

Hewitt is disliked by some Pro Tour players. Mary Carillo said: "He makes guys crazy, they try hard to ignore him, but he's always barking on the other side of the net." In his 2005 Australian Open match against Argentine Juan Ignacio Chela, Hewitt angered his opponent by his celebration of an unforced error, to the point where Chela served directly at Hewitt, and spat at him during the changeover.[11]

In 2006 Hewitt was nominated by GQ magazine as one of the '10 Most Hated Athletes' in Sport [11]. That year, he also came under criticism from Australian child psychologist Michael Carr-Gregg for "exploiting" his child during the 2006 Logie Awards. [17] During a match at the 2005 Australian Open, David Nalbandian and Hewitt purposefully bumped into each other at a change of ends. Nalbandian later remarked that "no-one on the tour is friends with Hewitt" and that Hewitt is "not a gentleman".[18]

During the 2009 Wimbledon, Hewitt said that some of the female players on tour may not be fit enough to last five sets or be able to play seven best of five sets to win a grand slam. His remarks were seized upon by the local media and sparked instant men v women debate around the tennis circuit.[19]

in: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lleyton_Hewitt

maximo
Why is no one posting Murray's ATP picture!?

HATERS!

jamesblakefan#1
08-08-2009, 09:49 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/image.php?u=39851&dateline=1247827080http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/image.php?u=39851&dateline=1247827080http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/image.php?u=39851&dateline=1247827080http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/image.php?u=39851&dateline=1247827080

jamesblakefan#1
08-08-2009, 09:50 AM
http://blog.taragana.com/sports/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/andy-murray.jpghttp://blog.taragana.com/sports/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/andy-murray.jpghttp://blog.taragana.com/sports/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/andy-murray.jpghttp://blog.taragana.com/sports/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/andy-murray.jpg

Serendipitous
08-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Why is no one posting Murray's ATP picture!?

HATERS!

http://www.musicaloud.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/murray.jpghttp://www.musicaloud.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/murray.jpghttp://www.musicaloud.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/murray.jpghttp://www.musicaloud.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/murray.jpg

maximo
08-08-2009, 09:53 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/image.php?u=39851&dateline=1247827080http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/image.php?u=39851&dateline=1247827080http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/image.php?u=39851&dateline=1247827080

That's more like it! :D

~ZoSo~
08-08-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm in the US and I don't like Roddick. Used to despise Murray up until he did that whole turn around. He's my 2nd best favorite player now.

What do you dislike about roddick?

rommil
08-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Why do you dislike about roddick?

On top of everything else? The incessant arguing (the length and the manner) with the umpire and the condescending words that go with it, he yells for emphasis. He does it like he were an oppressed person, like there is a conspiracy to make bad calls against him. Looks to me like Stefanki is doing a bit of overhauling with his attitude lately. I liked what I saw in Wimbledon this year but if he starts that *****ty girlish b!tching with the umpires again, back to square zero for me. He doesn't need me anyways.

VivalaVida
08-08-2009, 10:11 AM
What do you dislike about roddick?
Probably because Roddick is known for doing far worse things on court rather than throwing water bottles on the floor.

~ZoSo~
08-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Probably because Roddick is known for doing far worse things on court rather than throwing water bottles on the floor.

I did see a press conference where he got a bit shirty with a journalist but i think he conducted himself very well in the wimby final with that quote about being a lucky guy who gets cheered for and how his bad days are better than most peoples bad days. He seemed very magnanimous in defeat. If only all players could try that.

jones101
08-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Im a Brit and I dont really like his game too much, though I do think he will be no 1 @ some point in his career, and win slams.

I have a lot of respect for his game and talent and he is deserving of being where he is and will root for him to do well, as it would be good for our country to have a Slam winner.

maximo
08-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Im a Brit and I dont really like his game too much, though I do think he will be no 1 @ some point in his career, and win slams.

I have a lot of respect for his game and talent and he is deserving of being where he is and will root for him to do well, as it would be good for our country to have a Slam winner.

Nice post.

norbac
08-08-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm not a brit and I'm a fan of Murray.

Tommy Haas.....

VivalaVida
08-08-2009, 10:27 AM
I did see a press conference where he got a bit shirty with a journalist but i think he conducted himself very well in the wimby final with that quote about being a lucky guy who gets cheered for and how his bad days are better than most peoples bad days. He seemed very magnanimous in defeat. If only all players could try that.
I agree with you completely here. He says the right things at the right time. However his behavior on court has been awful at times. At IW 2006, he was playing Andreev and was losing. He charged the net during one point and got passed and Roddick immediately yelled out " F you!" on top his lungs. I started to dislike him from then on.

~ZoSo~
08-08-2009, 10:34 AM
I agree with you completely here. He says the right things at the right time. However his behavior on court has been awful at times. At IW 2006, he was playing Andreev and was losing. He charged the net during one point and got passed and Roddick immediately yelled out " F you!" on top his lungs. I started to dislike him from then on.

Lol, i have not seen that and while it sounds funny, its not acceptable at all.

Clydey2times
08-08-2009, 10:41 AM
if murray is so great why did he get raped at wimbledon twice in a row (08,09) care to explain?

I'd hardly call losing to Roddick in 4 sets a raping. The guy won two more points than Murray. It was a close match.

The Nadal match was a raping, but certainly not the Roddick match.

tangerine
08-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Why does Scotland suck at tennis? Because they're too busy sucking at golf. ;)

Honestly, the UK has no excuse for not creating tennis champions since they invented the sport. Kind of embarrassing for them, actually. :p

Find a Swiss who doesn't root for Federer and you found the last Dodo bird.

I'm interested to see how the US Open crowd responds to Djokovic this year. It's sad how he went from being mr. popular in 2007 to persona non grata in 2008. Hopefully they will embrace him once again. USO isn't known for bitter fans who hold grudges.

slicefox
08-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Because that's what it looks like...

Anyone else?

Oh yeah, any non-Americans rooting for Roddick?

yes, they are a bunch of racists

rooting for someone just because he's from your country... even though they may be a brat ****** (murray)

im in US and I dont always root for US players.

slicefox
08-08-2009, 12:55 PM
I'd hardly call losing to Roddick in 4 sets a raping. The guy won two more points than Murray. It was a close match.

The Nadal match was a raping, but certainly not the Roddick match.

USO 2008 match vs. fed was a raping.

murray got fked in the butt that match (no offense). Fed was running him all over the court like a slave horse.

Clydey2times
08-08-2009, 12:57 PM
USO 2008 match vs. fed was a raping.

murray got fked in the butt that match (no offense). Fed was running him all over the court like a slave horse.

Fed's loss in the 2008 FO final was a much bigger raping.

The point? It can happen to anyone.

フェデラー
08-08-2009, 12:59 PM
The brits can never dominate at the sports they make. Like table tennis, which is dominated by the chinese.

CCNM
08-08-2009, 01:43 PM
I think Murray's ok. Ever since I found out he survived the Dunblane Elementary School massacre I've had a soft spot for him. Also he looks like a friend of mine.

Camnation
08-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Is it only Brits and Serbs who root for Muzza and Joker?
Nope. Djokovic is my favourite player and my background isn't even European.

~ZoSo~
08-08-2009, 03:44 PM
The brits can never dominate at the sports they make. Like table tennis, which is dominated by the chinese.

Yeah but the sports invented by the usa are only played on a significant level by the usa so they are certain to dominate,
Maybe basketball is a debatable exception.

Emelia21
08-08-2009, 03:52 PM

Some areas of London are rough, as you say, and some parts of Manchester are rough, but some parts of London are not rough and the same with Manchester :)

On topic with the main reason: British and proud supporter of Murray, and proud supporter of the Serb guy :)

Sentinel
08-08-2009, 08:10 PM
I am not serbian and i like Đoković -- heck I am not even remotely Swiss and I .....

slice bh compliment
08-09-2009, 02:29 AM
Yeah but the sports invented by the usa are only played on a significant level by the usa so they are certain to dominate,
Maybe basketball is a debatable exception.

Why is basketball debatable? We're back, baby.

We are excellent at lacrosse. And jazz. Oh, and I believe we had a hand in inventing the zamboni.

Baseball is debatable, too.

Oh, also, I think we pretty much came up with the -ahem- English language. Hello?
;-)

dragonfire
08-09-2009, 03:39 AM
see murray is hated, even in my country