PDA

View Full Version : Family Circle Tennis Center

154Ace
04-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Has anyone played there. How was the facility ans instruction. Im 16 and staying with my brother in Charleston and wondering if this place is worth a try. Im a 4.5 player looking to improve.

NoBadMojo
04-02-2005, 09:02 AM
since nobody has responded, i'll take a stab at this. the tennis center is on daniels island. it's a nice complex, and so is wild dunes at the tip of isle of palms. i dont know any of the pros at those places, but i think roy barth is still at kiawah island which is a little south of charleston, and i would recommend him. also his son was teaching there last i knew and he would be a good 'hit with the pro'. kiawah is a little farther away from charleston than daniels island (about a 40min drive)

Geezer Guy
04-04-2005, 10:06 AM
I have not actually played there, but I did tour the facility when we considered moving to Danial Island. It's very nice, although not much shade as I recall. The pro staff was friendly, and I'm sure you could get some good private lessons or attend some clinics.

We stayed at Kiawah Island, and I DID attend the stroke-of-the-day clinic's there for 3 days. They were fine - not great, but fine. There was a pretty wide range of talent at the clinic's, and I was the best one there - so wasn't really that much fun when we got into "rally" drills against each other. On one day I was the only one that showed up for the stroke-of-the-day drill, so they gave me the option of either paying twice as much for the whole clinic, or paying the original posted amount for half the time. I thought that was pretty cheap of them.

I -THINK- you had to be a member at the Family Circle Tennis Center, but they'd probably let an out-of-town guest attend for an added charge. At Kiowah Island there was an extra charge if you were NOT staying at the hotel on the island.

There are lots of other places around Charleston. Check out TennisResortsOnline.com and TennisWelcomeCenter.com.

tennis-n-sc
04-04-2005, 07:03 PM
The Daniel Island Tennis Center is owned by the City of Charleston Parks Department and is open to all comers. My league team has used to facility to practice at many times while playing at the state tournament. A very nice facility with clay and hard courts. I don't know a thing about about the pro instruction. The Kiawah Island resort is known mostly for its excellent doubles instruction. The Isle of Palms has Wild Dunes Resort and it is rated very high by Tennis Magazine. They have a very nice facility and daily clinics. Try all of them and enjoy the great seafood.

Kevin T
04-06-2005, 06:22 AM
Tennis-N-SC nailed it. You can get on the courts at the Family Circle Center. I actually live just across the river from Daniel Island in Mount Pleasant. If you want more court time, the recreation center/park in Mount P has ~20 (I think) hard courts and you can play for $1. I always hear great things about Wild Dunes in IOP, plus if you play golf, they have a good course and there are a number of courses in the area (Charleston National, Patriot's Point). IOP and Sullivan's Island have a number of great restaurants and beach bars. Great beaches and laid back atmosphere. Kiawah is for the tighty whitey set (sorry to all tighty whities!). You might also catch a Charleston Battery A-League soccer match. The pitch is very nice and right there next to the FC center on D Island. The instruction at Wild Dunes and FC are good and you would have a much better time after hours.

vizsla
06-20-2007, 11:49 AM
Kevin:

Where in Mt P do you live and what level do you play???

vizsla
11-29-2007, 06:49 PM
Kevin:

Where in Mt P do you live and what level do you play???

trishy5060
02-11-2008, 07:56 AM
For a serious junior, you want to look at The Players Club in Mount Pleasant. The level of the coaching and the other players will improve your game.