PDA

View Full Version : Jankovic's Slams Safina For Being #1? Is she a hypocrite?

jones101
08-08-2009, 10:09 AM
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/04082009/2/m-number-says-safina.html

Don't know if this has been posted but Jankovic has decided to come out and give her view on the Safina holding the top spot.

Jankovic said: "To be number one, you should be complete and if you are number one you have to be beating the Williams sisters."

"I'm one of the rare players who has a positive record against the Williams sisters."

Which is 8-8 for the record.

"If I had to pick someone after me, I'd pick Serena," Said Jelena

Safina hit back with -

"The ranking system is not only based (on) if you beat Serena and Venus," she said. "It's based on how you play the whole year."

"It has nothing to do with what your record is against them."

"Did she beat them in the final of a grand slam? No. It doesn't count when you beat them at a tier four (tournament)."

I'm glad Safina has defended herself as she has acomplished a lot more than Jelena has being number 1, and Jelena's reasoning it pretty dumb IMO.

Safina is constantly having to defned herself lately and I feel for her.

I would like to hear others opinions on whether Jelena was right to criticize when she acomplished little being no 1 herself.

FlamEnemY
08-08-2009, 10:12 AM
No. She has no right.

maximo
08-08-2009, 10:15 AM
It's hilarious because both of them talk about beating the William sisters which in a way means that they both know deep inside that one of them (Serena more likely) is the real #1.

Lionheart392
08-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Well Jankovic actually has a losing record against Serena, 3-4. But she's 5-4 against Venus and has won 5 of their last 7 matches.
Ummm I know Jankovic got very tired of the criticism when she was #1 so you'd think she'd have some empathy for Safina...
And who says you have to beat the Williams to be #1? I really don't see what they have to do with it especially if you don't get the chance to play them often when they're losing early in touraments.

drwood
08-08-2009, 10:16 AM
It's hilarious because both of them talk about beating the William sisters which in a way means that they both know deep inside that one of them (Serena more likely) is the real #1.

True

Jankovic IS being a hypocrite -- her spouting off about Safina is a way of deflecting how HORRIBLE Jankovic has been this year -- especially in majors. At least Safina made multiple Slam finals before reaching #1.

viduka0101
08-08-2009, 10:18 AM
safina is out of touch
jankovic is out of time
serena williams is out of her head when they're not around

yes, she's a hypocrite

フェデラー
08-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Serena should be no.1 and Venus should be no.2. WHile i agree with Jankovic, she is the last person that should be talking.

CountryHillbilly
08-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Why is Jelena running her mouth now?

And why is it important to beat Williams sisters. Anyone can beat Venus outside of Wimbledon, and Serena is also vulnerable sometimes, especially on slow courts.

Jankovic should consider her record against Henin, for example.

Serena should be no.1 and Venus should be no.2. WHile i agree with Jankovic, she is the last person that should be talking.

Venus does nothing the whole year except try to win Wimbledon. She goes out early in all other slams. Why should she be No.2?? Maybe if she had won this year's Wimby, but she didn't even do that.

Lionheart392
08-08-2009, 10:21 AM

Why should Venus be #1? Her annual schedule is to win Wimbledon and then hibernate the rest of the year (although this year she didn't even win it). No way should she be above Safina.

VivalaVida
08-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Wow, Jankovic is a total hypocrite. What happened to when she threw the hissy fit about how "Federer should mind his own business" "Why does he care" and now she is the one taking shots at other players. Great.

clayman2000
08-08-2009, 10:24 AM

How is Venus better than Safina. She currently has a QF, 3R, 2R and F result on her slams. While Safina has a SF, F, F, SF. Also Safina currently has 4 Tier 1 tourneys on her point total. Venus has 1.

As for Serena. I dont think a no 1 player in the world is allowed to loose 4 matches in a row. But Serena has.

All-rounder
08-08-2009, 10:25 AM
And people say the William sisters have no factor in the wta

フェデラー
08-08-2009, 10:26 AM
last time i checked safina got raped by venus (and yes i know it was on grass but no.1s dont get bagled that often.

JeMar
08-08-2009, 10:27 AM
The game would not miss Jankovic.

Tiberius
08-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Well well well ...I'm guessing the dbags who were criticizing Fed to no end are conveniently going to ignore this thread... :rolleyes:

drwood
08-08-2009, 10:33 AM
safina is out of touch
jankovic is out of time
serena williams is out of her head when they're not around

yes, she's a hypocrite

Nice Hall and Oates reference! :)

clayman2000
08-08-2009, 10:34 AM
last time i checked safina got raped by venus (and yes i know it was on grass but no.1s dont get bagled that often.

Last time i checked Venus never even made the 2nd week of her worst slam. Safina did, and went far.

All-rounder
08-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Last time i checked Venus never even made the 2nd week of her worst slam. Safina did, and went far.
Playing qualifiers and unseeded players

jones101
08-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Why should Venus be #1? Her annual schedule is to win Wimbledon and then hibernate the rest of the year (although this year she didn't even win it). No way should she be above Safina.

Although Venus is clearly a better player, Venus is ranked correctly at number 3.

Here are Venus view on Safina being number 1.

Venus was diplomatic when asked whether her sister, who holds a total of 11 Grand Slam titles, or Safina deserved the top ranking more. "Both players have their results and know their results and we shouldn't put one player down and one player up," she said. "They both did their best."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/30072009/58/serena-patient-ranking-bid.html

JeMar
08-08-2009, 10:40 AM
I dunno why she's taking a dig at Safina. It's not even like Jelena's ranked right behind her. There's three women ahead of Jankovic in the rankings, so maybe she should worry about those three.

jamesblakefan#1
08-08-2009, 10:40 AM

If by never you mean never ever, Venus did make a FO final. But not this yr.

Playing qualifiers and unseeded players

Safina did beat Mauresmo, who a lot of people had her losing to.

All-rounder
08-08-2009, 10:41 AM
I dunno why she's taking a dig at Safina. It's not even like Jelena's ranked right behind her. There's three women ahead of Jankovic in the rankings, so maybe she should worry about those three.
One of them is soon to be Marion Bartoli lol :)

drwood
08-08-2009, 10:44 AM
One of them is soon to be Marion Bartoli lol :)

And Stosur....Jankovic has a LOT of points to defend the rest of the year -- probably even more than Safina.

jamesblakefan#1
08-08-2009, 10:49 AM
And my girl Flavia!

P_Agony
08-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Haha, Jankovic is pulling a Federer to Safina, only now the goal isn't to win a grand slam, but to beat Serena and Venus. Pathetic.
I'm glad Safina defended herself, but she really has to win a slam soon or at least not be embarssed at the final like always.

WTA is a mess.

jamesblakefan#1
08-08-2009, 11:03 AM
FTR, Safina beat Venus in Rome this yr.

tintin
08-08-2009, 11:03 AM
look I don't mind the back and forth but it gets a tad boring at the end:roll:

Jankovic is an arrogant out of touch twat:roll:
Safina knows she doesn't really deserve that ranking and can't for the love of god win a major so she's on the defensive:roll:
Serena is whining because well she's not getting her way.Maybe if the WTA said to her i'll give you the #1 ranking since you have 2 majors and no MS win she'd stop yapping:roll:

jamesblakefan#1
08-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Jankovic is an arrogant out of touch twat:roll:

Very mature. How was that word not censored?

Lionheart392
08-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Very mature. How was that word not censored?

Is it used in American English? I always thought it was only used in Britain. Maybe that's why.

Fedfan1234
08-08-2009, 11:12 AM
"If I had to pick someone after me, I'd pick Serena," Said Jelena
Wow what arrogance for a 24 year one time old losing finalist of the US open. I guess some people are just born arrogant and a hypocrite as well.

I'm glad Safina has defended herself as she has acomplished a lot more than Jelena has being number 1, and Jelena's reasoning it pretty dumb IMO.

Safina is constantly having to defned herself lately and I feel for her.

I would like to hear others opinions on whether Jelena was right to criticize when she acomplished little being no 1 herself.
She should just say that Serena is the true number one and everybody would agree and praise her for saying it. But they want to keep the glory of the number one spot that is not rightfully theirs.
Serena is the true number one and everybody knows it. In my opinion you have to at least win one slam to deserve that title.

mandy01
08-08-2009, 11:14 AM
LOOOOOL..This has got to be a joke :lol:

jamesblakefan#1
08-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Is it used in American English? I always thought it was only used in Britain. Maybe that's why.

Yeah. It's very rarely used, it's such a vulgar word used to describe a woman. That and the cu... word are both used to describe women more harshly than the b-word.

I guess it's more common in Britain.

Lionheart392
08-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Yeah. It's very rarely used, it's such a vulgar word used to describe a woman. That and the cu... word are both used to describe women more harshly than the b-word.

Oh yeah we use it a lot in Britain, although not just for women. Any person of any gender can be called a t w a t. I believe it's technically a slang word for women's genitals but now is just a vulgar substitute for 'idiot' basically.

THESEXPISTOL
08-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Jankovic is a joke!

jones101
08-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Wow what arrogance for a 24 year one time old losing finalist of the US open. I guess some people are just born arrogant and a hypocrite as well.

She should just say that Serena is the true number one and everybody would agree and praise her for saying it. But they want to keep the glory of the number one spot that is not rightfully theirs.
Serena is the true number one and everybody knows it. In my opinion you have to at least win one slam to deserve that title.

Jankovic thinks she is Serena sometimes, and she hasn't done enough to back up her comments IMO.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Jelena Jankovic is a money- hungry *****

mandy01
08-08-2009, 12:59 PM
I'm laughing my rear end off :lol:

Serendipitous
08-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Jelena Jankovic is a money- hungry *****

What's a "*****"?

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 01:03 PM
What's a "*****"?
That would be a b-i-t-c-h

Serendipitous
08-08-2009, 01:04 PM
That would be a b-i-t-c-h

I know.......I was just yoking. :)

Warriorroger
08-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Jankovic should shut up and people should be blaming the Williams sisters not the ranking system. If they choose to play only the GS and pull out of every other tournament they plan to play in, that's their choise. Sure they are very talent players, but this attitude is what separates them from the real legends.

Mick
08-08-2009, 01:14 PM
i disagree. i think the williams sisters are doing it right because they are not young anymore. it's better for them to play fewer tournaments and win the GS than to play more and run the risk of injure themselves. 10 years from now, people will talk about who won the grand slam titles, not who was the number 1 player in 2009.

Shaolin
08-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Wo Im really getting sick of the WTA. When they arent screaming or choking, they are talking s**t on each other. So pathetic.

CCNM
08-08-2009, 01:36 PM
MEOW!!!! Finally some good stuff coming from the WTA! ha ha ha ha ha!!

grafselesfan
08-08-2009, 01:44 PM
If by never you mean never ever, Venus did make a FO final. But not this yr.

Venus actually was a pretty good clay courter from 1998-2004. Never great, but pretty good. She is incompetent on the surface these days though, I wouldnt be surprised if she never went past the 3rd round of the French again.

Lionheart392
08-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Venus actually was a pretty good clay courter from 1998-2004. Never great, but pretty good. She is incompetent on the surface these days though, I wouldnt be surprised if she never went past the 3rd round of the French again.

Venus just seemed to be going through the motions at this year's French, she seems disinterested in that tournament now and that in itself will stop her going deep. I doubt she'll make the QF ever again and as you said even R16 will be very difficult from now on.

grafselesfan
08-08-2009, 01:48 PM
The game would not miss Jankovic.

I agree. She brings nothing to the sport. A mediocre and boring game, alot of unneccessary drama and whiny attempts at personality. Anke Huber, Kimiko Date, and Amanda Coetzer retiring were even bigger losses to the sport han her retirement will be.

deltox
08-08-2009, 01:48 PM
i disagree. i think the williams sisters are doing it right because they are not young anymore. it's better for them to play fewer tournaments and win the GS than to play more and run the risk of injure themselves. 10 years from now, people will talk about who won the grand slam titles, not who was the number 1 player in 2009.

i totally agree with you, except, if they make the choice to go about it this way, you cannot expect to be the number 1 ranked player and should NOT comment about it, show some humility, ya know

grafselesfan
08-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Venus just seemed to be going through the motions at this year's French, she seems disinterested in that tournament now and that in itself will stop her going deep. I doubt she'll make the QF ever again and as you said even R16 will be very difficult from now on.

Yeah I agree. She could play better at the event if she really put her mind to it. It is not like this is an amazing crop of clay courters. I think she just realizes even giving her all though she will never win there at this point even with the weakened clay court field and Henin's retirement, so she figures if she really has no shot of the title why bother.

Mansewerz
08-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Well well well ...I'm guessing the dbags who were criticizing Fed to no end are conveniently going to ignore this thread... :rolleyes:

Where is gj011 (who is also shouldretire and goyeji)?

viduka0101
08-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Nice Hall and Oates reference! :)

thanks.........

Warriorroger
08-08-2009, 02:02 PM

They have always been like that, even when younger. I agree with you if they do it for the longevity of their health and career, but then they (more Serena) should be quiet about who is number one.

THUNDERVOLLEY
08-08-2009, 02:34 PM
They have always been like that, even when younger. I agree with you if they do it for the longevity of their health and career, but then they (more Serena) should be quiet about who is number one.

When a player (whether one is from the WTA or ATP) is winning a majority of the most important events, such a person does not need to be quiet.

Regarding Jankovic: she too can say whatever she wants--after all, it is a bit fitting that a former joke #1 calls out another.

Claudius
08-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Uhhh...Jankovic. Just retire please. If you're not, just shut up and accept the fact that you're a journeywomen.

jrs
08-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Safina is 100% right - she doesn't make the rankings - she just does well in majority of the tournaments - except for GS - Finals.
(I don't understand how someone can reach the finals and fall apart completely!)

If people want to be number 1 then figure out how many tournaments to enter and win - rather than just entering 4 GS tournaments and crying I'm number one, I'm number! one based on those 4 tournaments - that's not how it works

JRS
PS: That GS argument maybe more valid on the mens side since GS tournaments are 3 out 5 sets - womens all tournaments are the same!

Peters
08-08-2009, 03:14 PM
The no1 ranking is what it is.

It's the player who's amassed the most points according to the ranking system in that time period. All the players know which tournaments award how many points and it's up to each of them to attend enough tournaments (not just majors).

Sure, we all know Serena Williams is overall a better player than Safina ability-wise - but we also know tennis is a sport that is played all year round, so Safina's efforts can't be ignored. She's peformed consistently at a high enough level over the last year to be no1 right now.

It's as much about managing your fitness all year round as it is about winning GS finals. In fact, pretty much every sport involces balancing raw ability with consistency/fitness mgmt/momentum.

I don't understand why there're so many catty comments in the women's game about rankings and so on - it's just a mathematical system of totalling points. Statistically, the table doesn't lie.

Cyan
08-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Pot calling the kettle black.. ROTFL.

FedFan_2009
08-08-2009, 03:44 PM
The only thing Jelena can claim is she can hold her own against the Williams sisters. Other then that, she's another slamless wonder.

egn
08-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Lets be real the #1 ranking is nice but at times it can be pretty inconsistent. Who is a better player Lleyton Hewitt or Boris Becker....obviously people will choose Becker over Hewitt but Hewitt spent nearly 7 times as many weeks than Becker at the number 1 ranking. The number one ranking is something you only really need to get to once. Serena is the most talented player on the tour at the moment but does not deserve the number 1 ranking because she is too busy ramming her head so far up her *** to show up every week. Safina who should be sitting on 2 slam titles right now and being talked about as the savior of the WTA is instead choking every chance she gets in the big venues. However nobody is going to care that Serena is not number 1 right now in 10 years because they will be like well she won all the big tournaments. She is getting what she needs to cement herself in the great women tennis players. THough I think she is stuck because she has surpassed everyone but Navra, Graf, Evert, Court, Wills and King and I don't think she can ever really pass them...

Lionheart392
08-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Lets be real the #1 ranking is nice but at times it can be pretty inconsistent. Who is a better player Lleyton Hewitt or Boris Becker....obviously people will choose Becker over Hewitt but Hewitt spent nearly 7 times as many weeks than Becker at the number 1 ranking. The number one ranking is something you only really need to get to once. Serena is the most talented player on the tour at the moment but does not deserve the number 1 ranking because she is too busy ramming her head so far up her *** to show up every week. Safina who should be sitting on 2 slam titles right now and being talked about as the savior of the WTA is instead choking every chance she gets in the big venues. However nobody is going to care that Serena is not number 1 right now in 10 years because they will be like well she won all the big tournaments. She is getting what she needs to cement herself in the great women tennis players. THough I think she is stuck because she has surpassed everyone but Navra, Graf, Evert, Court, Wills and King and I don't think she can ever really pass them...

She could maybe have a crack at reaching King?

Toxicmilk
08-08-2009, 05:14 PM

We use it a lot where I live...even the little kids, it's a bit outa hand sometimes.

egn
08-08-2009, 05:17 PM
She could maybe have a crack at reaching King?

Yea she would need a few more titles though. She has to get to 50 or so..but if she gets to say 14 slams I think she is ahead of King. But right now 12 slams 37 titles is not cutting it, even though King's era had far mroe tournaments on the tour Serena needs to get some more small titles under her belt.

thetheorist
08-08-2009, 06:53 PM
god i hate jankovic. what a bloody hypocrite

Tsonga nDance
08-09-2009, 01:08 AM
My *****. People with giant foreheads should not talk **** like they know.

Moreover, I think Dinara is handling all of this with such grace. She knows its a matter of time and shes fine with people talking because she knows that when she goes on atp-tennis.com, Its her name at the top of the list.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-09-2009, 01:23 AM
My *****. People with giant foreheads should not talk **** like they know.

Moreover, I think Dinara is handling all of this with such grace. She knows its a matter of time and shes fine with people talking because she knows that when she goes on atp-tennis.com, Its her name at the top of the list.
No, Federers name is on top there:twisted:
But on sonyericssonwtatour.com Safinas is the 1st

effervescence
08-09-2009, 02:13 AM
I think the rankings system is fine - I mean, it generally is quite concrete, and you do need something like this to ascertain which players are getting further in the events they play, and where they stand amongst their peers. The #1 ranking most certainly can be quantified - however, it certainly is NOT synonymous with being the best player in the world, or how many slams you win. Safina deserves to be #1 because of her consistency; you can't say that Serena should be #1 just because she's won 2 slams this year. She didn't perform as well in the other tourneys she played; the points speak for themselves.

Jankovic is clearly being quite a bit of a hypocrite. I'd like to know what she did to get to #1, and what she achieved when she got there. And tennis isn't only about beating the Williams sisters. (Then again, considering this weak field...)

jones101
08-09-2009, 02:28 AM
I think the rankings system is fine - I mean, it generally is quite concrete, and you do need something like this to ascertain which players are getting further in the events they play, and where they stand amongst their peers. The #1 ranking most certainly can be quantified - however, it certainly is NOT synonymous with being the best player in the world, or how many slams you win. Safina deserves to be #1 because of her consistency; you can't say that Serena should be #1 just because she's won 2 slams this year. She didn't perform as well in the other tourneys she played; the points speak for themselves.

Jankovic is clearly being quite a bit of a hypocrite. I'd like to know what she did to get to #1, and what she achieved when she got there. And tennis isn't only about beating the Williams sisters. (Then again, considering this weak field...)

Great post, one of the best on here, I feel the same way about all of this.

Safina is definitely handling this in a dignified way. Dramavic should keep her opinions to herself, she has not done much this year to speak of and will be out of the top 10 soon.

But her quotables provide great entertainment. Jelena and Serena IMO give the best press conferences.

Warriorroger
08-09-2009, 03:20 AM
When a player (whether one is from the WTA or ATP) is winning a majority of the most important events, such a person does not need to be quiet.

Regarding Jankovic: she too can say whatever she wants--after all, it is a bit fitting that a former joke #1 calls out another.

They should, even if you win the majors, it ould be nice for their fans to see them at ''smaller'' tournaments and put in the hard work whole year long.

raiden031
08-09-2009, 04:22 AM
Her argument about needing to have a good record against the Williams' is stupid. That would imply that her performance over several years should be used to determine her ranking for the past 12 months.

She's a major hypocrite and I would love to see her called on it publicly.

ttbrowne
08-09-2009, 06:24 AM
It seems that the WTA scoring system is emphasizing consistency in addition to winning. I don't mind it. If you wanted to change it to focus on just the winning, you'd have that crazy, mixed-up NASCAR scoring. It now takes a math wizard to explain NASCAR's points system.

NamRanger
08-09-2009, 07:02 AM
It seems that the WTA scoring system is emphasizing consistency in addition to winning. I don't mind it. If you wanted to change it to focus on just the winning, you'd have that crazy, mixed-up NASCAR scoring. It now takes a math wizard to explain NASCAR's points system.

The ATP scoring system is more dependent on winning than consistency due to the way the SF/Finalist points that the WTA receives over the ATP. Same scale at the top, but in between it's far different. Pays off to win the smaller events and go deep at slams than to peak for the big ones.

JankovicFan
08-09-2009, 09:34 AM
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/04082009/2/m-number-says-safina.html

Don't know if this has been posted but Jankovic has decided to come out and give her view on the Safina holding the top spot.

Jankovic said: "To be number one, you should be complete and if you are number one you have to be beating the Williams sisters."

JJ is merely agreeing with Serena's arguments on the same subject...damned if you do and damned if you don't.

JeMar
08-09-2009, 10:46 AM
The cattiness is just about the only thing the WTA has going for it these days, so that's why I voted the way I did.

jones101
08-09-2009, 12:31 PM
The cattiness is just about the only thing the WTA has going for it these days, so that's why I voted the way I did.

C'mon, there are good matches on the WTA, but I agree it adds someting extra to them. I like JJ's game but I hope Safina takes her to the bakery in their next match.

Gorecki
08-09-2009, 12:37 PM
read my Lips... HYPOCRITE

Lionheart392
08-09-2009, 12:50 PM
This makes me sad, Jankovic was already widely hated on these boards :(
Maybe the journalists twisted her words...

Lifted
08-09-2009, 02:43 PM

Oh yeah we use it a lot in Britain, although not just for women. Any person of any gender can be called a t w a t. I believe it's technically a slang word for women's genitals but now is just a vulgar substitute for 'idiot' basically.

I've heard it used plenty of times over here (in the US), both in the sense of female genitalia and as an insult for an idiot. I've also heard twatsicle plenty of times. :) I guess it depends on what kind of people (pee-brains) you hang out with.

On topic:

Hypocrite? Yes.

JankovicFan
08-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Jankovic is a joke!JJ, Serena, and Venus all made 3 million and change in last year's prize money, JJ in third place. That is no joke. Now, what she says at times and how she fails to step up and win can certainly be laughable. I think she is a great athlete who just isn't big enough and strong enough to be on top and stay there for any length of time. I will say that I haven't witnessed anything from JJ as depressing as Dinara's performance in the Melbourne final this year against Serena.

Sartorius
08-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Federer wins..? :mrgreen:

imalil2gangsta4u
08-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Could someone please slap jankovic? She had no reason to be opening here mouth right now.

JeMar
08-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Could someone please slap jankovic? She had no reason to be opening here mouth right now.

Dat's gangsta right tharr.

World Beater
08-09-2009, 05:08 PM
lol

jelena is taking a subtle shot at fed.

after all feddie doesnt have a positive record against the rafa...and therefore isnt complete.

hehe.

bluetrain4
08-09-2009, 05:23 PM
These players always conflate being No. 1 with being the best.

The "best" player doesn't have to be No. 1. No. 1 is based completely on a set ranking system that can't be changed even if the No. 1 player isn't "beating the Williams sisters" ot has not won a Slam.

Both Safina and Jankovic are/were weak No. 1s compared to a lot of other No. 1s, but why blame them for reaching that ranking? It is wholly a result of the computer.

I'm no Safina fan, at all, but even I think she takes too much crap for being No. 1. Again, all she did is go out and play and let the points/computer figure it out. How can she be slammed for being No. 1. If anything someone like Jankovic (for not winning enough) and the Williams (for not playing enough) should be slammed for letting Safina achieve No. 1.

grafselesfan
08-09-2009, 05:34 PM
The "best" player doesn't have to be No. 1.

I agree with that. There are cases the best player and the worthy #1 are two different things. There are even cases the best player, the worthy #1, and the computer #1 are 3 different things. However while there have been cases the worthy #1 wasnt the best player, Safina and Jankovic were neither the best player or the worthy #1. Here is how I would go through each year this decade:

2000:

Best player- Venus Williams
Worthy #1- Venus Williams (maybe Davenport)
Computer #1- Martina Hingis

2001:

Best player- Venus Williams
Worthy #1- Venus Williams
Computer #1- Linsday Davenport

2002:

Best player- Serena Williams
Worthy #1- Serena Williams
Computer #1- Serena Williams

2003:

Best player- Serena Williams
Worthy #1- Justine Henin
Computer #1- Justine Henin

2004:

Best player- Justine Henin
Worthy #1- Lindsay Davenport (by virtue of this being a rare case where the 4 slam winners only had 1 other slam quarterfinal and two other 3rd round or worse results in slams)
Computer #1- Lindsay Davenport

2005:

Best player: Kim Clijsters
Worthy #1: Lindsay Davenport or Kim Clijsters
Computer #1: Lindsay Davenport

2006:

Best player: Justine Henin
Worthy #1: Amelie Mauresmo or Justine Henin
Computer #1: Justine Hnin

2007:

Best player: Justine Henin
Worthy #1: Justine Henin
Computer #1: Justine Henin

2008:

Best player: Serena Williams
Worthy #1: Serena Williams
Computer #1: Jelena Jankovic

2009:

Best player: Serena Williams
Worthy #1: Serena Williams
Computer #1: ? for now Safina

Yes it is possible that the best player and the worthy #1 are two different people. Not that often and usually based upon injury or illness that takes the true best player at the time out for a period of time (eg- Serena in 2003, Henin in 2004). However in the case of Jankovic and Safina they are neither.

bruce38
08-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Why don't they just make Majors worth even more points so that if you win the most majors in a year, you're pretty much guaranteed #1.

grafselesfan
08-09-2009, 05:40 PM
They should just have a special rule that all major winners in the last 12 months are automaticaly ranked over all those who havent won one in the last 12 months. Perhaps even a special rule that someone who has won more majors than someone else (2 vs 1 or 3 vs 1) is automaticaly ranked over that player as well. It is not undermining the tour as for 99.9% of the players the regular tournaments and their overall slam results will all be important to their point totals, the money the make, their seedings, etc...You can even get as high as #5, #4, #3 that way too. It just means that collecting points throughout the year to get to #1 is simply not a door open to the players. The players will realize the only way to reach #1 is to win slams, period, getting on the tour treadmill alone simply wont allow for such a lofty honor. Safina would currently be ranked #3 behind Serena and Kuznetsova for example. While I am not big on Kuznetsova the fact is her winning a slam in the last 12 months when nobody other than Serena has would justify her ranking, and of course Serena being #1 is undisputable. Nobody really feels Kuznetsova or Safina are better than Venus outside of clay, but people would also understand based on Safina's overall results for the past 12 months, Kuznetsova's recent slam title win, and that Venus missed out on Wimbledon and the U.S Open both to Serena so also doesnt have a slam in the past 12 months, would justify that ranking nonetheless. I doubt there would be any big controversy over those rankings like there is now. That would go for alot of rankings past.

I remember in 1987 Navratilova even was infuriated she had beaten Graf in the Wimbledon and U.S Open finals in straight sets and was still ranked behind her. Even as an uber Graf fan I have to concede she had a real case there. Now the cases are just more magnified than ever though.

FedExFan
08-09-2009, 08:59 PM
she's got a big mouth sayin stuff like that after failing to meet the expectations at this year's AO after finishing #1, Safina has had positive results at many events including getting to the semis or better at the last four slams, while i dont think that she's the true #1 (i obviously think Serena is) she's much more deserving of the spot than Jelena is