PDA

View Full Version : Nadal uncertain of fitness level for U.S. Open

veritech
08-08-2009, 11:59 AM
"I can't tell you if I'll be 100 percent for the U.S. Open," Nadal told Reuters in an exclusive interview on Friday.

"I arrived at two very important tournaments this season, Roland Garros [French Open] and Wimbledon without my best condition," Nadal said. "But for the rest I am here and I am very happy to come back on court with the best motivation to work hard to try to play my best tennis as soon as possible.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=4385847

he blames his injuries on the season's congested schedule, when it was his choice to play tournaments that weren't mandatory and its his choice to play the style that he plays.

why even enter the tournament if your not 100%? sounds to me like he's making excuses for losses he hasn't even suffered yet.

ninman
08-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Funny, but I don't hear Federer complaining about the schedule. Nadal has no right to complain about it, because he chose to play a lot of tournaments this year, and he also chose to play doubles tennis. Totally and utterly hypocritical.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 12:03 PM

he blames his injuries on the season's congested schedule, when it was his choice to play tournaments that weren't mandatory and its his choice to play the style that he plays.

why even enter the tournament if your not 100%? sounds to me like he's making excuses for losses he hasn't even suffered yet.

Absolutely, insecurity, he wants the world and the press to know that IF he loses it was because....insert cause

mandy01
08-08-2009, 12:04 PM

Precisely..This is pretty much what Roger said when he was asked ( I think during the early days of RG) about what he thought of such complaints.
He said he dosent buy it at all..especially when a player has the authority to choose the tournaments.He simply said "the players are in-charge of their own schedule." No one's forcing Nadal to play events that will eventually take a toll on his body.
he even plays exhos like some masters finals..sheesh.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Funny, but I don't hear Federer complaining about the schedule. Nadal has no right to complain about it, because he chose to play a lot of tournaments this year, and he also chose to play doubles tennis. Totally and utterly hypocritical.
Yeah ,i never understood why Nadal often plays double, i mean sure he can practice serve volley and returns but its not gonna help his knees, thats for sure...

World Beater
08-08-2009, 12:06 PM
nadal is full of ....

he was the one telling all the reporters after his french loss that it wasn't the schedule which did him in...after all he has played the same schedule for a few years now in the clay season and won RG all those years.

Agassifan
08-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Absolutely, insecurity, he wants the world and the press to know that IF he loses it was because....insert cause

Sort of .......

mandy01
08-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Funny, but I don't hear Federer complaining about the schedule. Nadal has no right to complain about it, because he chose to play a lot of tournaments this year, and he also chose to play doubles tennis. Totally and utterly hypocritical. If the number of HC tournaments were reduced for his sake and if the schedule was modified for his sake it would be ridiculously unfair to Roger.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 12:09 PM
If the number of HC tournaments were reduced for his sake and if the schedule was modified for his sake it would be ridiculously unfair to Roger.
They will never be, he doesnt even have a case, there are claycourt-tournaments the whole year that he can play.

JeMar
08-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Nadal is probably the biggest sandbagger in the history of tennis, so I wouldn't take this seriously.

mandy01
08-08-2009, 12:11 PM
nadal is full of ....

he was the one telling all the reporters after his french loss that it wasn't the schedule which did him in...after all he has played the same schedule for a few years now in the clay season and won RG all those years. LOOOL Yeah..the sudden change in tone is rantworthy :roll:

namelessone
08-08-2009, 12:13 PM
@veritech,sounds like you don't know how it is to recover from an injury.

When you don't play tennis for 2 months it's tough to come back and say you will rule.Tendinitis is a fickle condition.You can play through it,as Nadal has done in these years,but if the pain gets too big after a certain match you can have problems even if you felt pretty good before.

I saw Nadal's TVE interview and he said that after 2 months he still feels some pain but he said he wants to give it a try.No big expectations.He still feels pain after 2 months even if his doctor said that 3-4 weeks should be enough so his tendinitis flare-up isn't as light as some made it out to be.
He said that he doesn't know if he'll be fit for USOpen,because,guess what,he CAN'T know,not until the last week,when he will see how his knees are feeling.Montreal is like a glorified exo for him.If he will have problems in the first matches he will pull out and realise it was a mistake.If he feels ok it means he can go on and get into a rhythm again.

Nadal's biggest mistake is not neccesarily his play style(he won 6 GS with that style)but his scheduling.He has played barcelona,rotterdam and madrid,which he shouldn't have.That's 3 weeks worth of play and he should have skipped them.He even said that Madrid was a mistake.

I don't think he is making excuses.He is making sure that people have low expectations,just like he and his team have.As I have said before there are only 2 possible outcomes:

1)he plays the first matches and feels ok.He either goes deep or gets eliminated,just like any other player out there.

2)his knee acts up again and retires in first or second match.He realises this was a mistake and probably doesn't play again until USOpen.

mandy01
08-08-2009, 12:19 PM
I think its a tactic to ,again,play the underdog which he loves to.

namelessone
08-08-2009, 12:20 PM
nadal is full of ....

he was the one telling all the reporters after his french loss that it wasn't the schedule which did him in...after all he has played the same schedule for a few years now in the clay season and won RG all those years.

Nadal's english is bad so take everything he says with a grain of salt.When he was asked about the schedule,he responded that he has played the same schedule in previous years so he didn't think that it would be a problem in 09'.But his body has caught up to him this year and he realised it.That's why he is saying things about scheduling now.

But IMO he shouldn't complain.He's the one that added another full unneccesary month of tennis to his schedule by playing rotterdam,barcelona and Madrid.I think this is a real catch 22 for him.In order for Rafa to get into form,into a rhythm if you will,he needs to play a lot of matches,a lot of tournaments.But playing too many can hurt his body.But if he plays too few he can't get good enough because he will have little competitional mileage.

I am very curios to see how his schedule will look next year.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 12:20 PM
I think its a tactic to ,again,play the underdog which he loves to.
Might be,id say he didnt feel comfortable being the one everyone chased, he rather be the one chasing

GasquetGOAT
08-08-2009, 12:27 PM
"I arrived at two very important tournaments this season, Roland Garros French Open] and Wimbledon without my best condition,["

Why is he still making excuses for the FO loss 3 month later? Guess he never slept well over it. Soderling should give him some kind of closure or we will never hear the end of it...

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Why is he still making excuses for the FO loss 3 month later? Guess he never slept well over it. Soderling should give him some kind of closure or we will never hear the end of it...
I agree, that is the past now...it still disturbs him im sure.

mandy01
08-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Might be,id say he didnt feel comfortable being the one everyone chased, he rather be the one chasing
Yep..thats my opinion too.He dosent like to be the one going in with all the pressure .

P_Agony
08-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Nadal already with excuses for the US Open, just in case he losses?

Another chapter in the greatest rivlary in tennis - Nadal vs. the knees.

namelessone
08-08-2009, 12:34 PM
It's all about the mentality.Nadal needs a target.It's not even that he is the target,he hold on to the nr.1 for almost a year and trust me,if his scheduling wouldn't have been so f***d up he could have defended RG and perhaps even WB and would have more than happy to remain the hunted,even though he is naturally a hunter.

After 4 years of dominating clay and stedily improving on grass and HC Rafa reached that part of his career where things get rough.If I am not mistaken he had over 3000 points over Fed before RG and he could have gotten away with losing 2 slams if Federer had continued his decline.But that's how things fell into place.No one was questioning Rafa's hunted or hunter preference when he won his first GS as nr.1 in AO this year.

mandy01
08-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Another chapter in the greatest rivlary in tennis - Nadal vs. the knees. preemptive excuses :lol:

And people have the nerve to bash Roger.:roll:

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 12:35 PM

Another chapter in the greatest rivlary in tennis - Nadal vs. the knees.
Lol, thats a nice rivalry,no`?

mandy01
08-08-2009, 12:36 PM
It's all about the mentality.Nadal needs a target.It's not even that he is the target,he hold on to the nr.1 for almost a year and trust me,if his scheduling wouldn't have been so f***d up he could have defended RG and perhaps even WB and would have more than happy to remain the hunted,even though he is naturally a hunter.

After 4 years of dominating clay and stedily improving on grass and HC Rafa reached that part of his career where things get rough.If I am not mistaken he had over 3000 points over Fed before RG and he could have gotten away with losing 2 slams if Federer had continued his decline.But that's how things fell into place.No one was questioning Rafa's hunted or hunter preference when he won his first GS as nr.1 in AO this year.
Bodo actually did.I believe it was in reference to that 'animal excitement" comment of Rafa's

P_Agony
08-08-2009, 12:36 PM
preemptive excuses :lol:

I actually think it's uncle Tony behind all of this. I think he took the RG loss harder than Rafa.

Datacipher
08-08-2009, 12:38 PM
What a joke. Look I fully realize you are a bunch of living with your parents fanboys who live and die by a tennis player who wouldn't want anything to do with you in person.

I also realize you know nothing about tennis, but, you are SUPPOSED to at least know something about Federer.

FEDERER HAS complained about the schedule before (as has nearly every top player in the last 20 years) AND Federer has made almost IDENTICAL comments (MORE THAN ONCE) coming off injury.

So get informed, and grow up kids.

mandy01
08-08-2009, 12:40 PM
What a joke. Look I fully realize you are a bunch of living with your parents fanboys who live and die by a tennis player who wouldn't want anything to do with you in person.

I also realize you know nothing about tennis, but, you are SUPPOSED to at least know something about Federer.

FEDERER HAS complained about the schedule before (as has nearly every top player in the last 20 years) AND Federer has made almost IDENTICAL comments (MORE THAN ONCE) coming off injury. So get informed, and grow up kids.
NO HE HASNT.PERIOD.
He has spoken about the schedule but never whined about it the way Rafa does.And he did so only last year because of the Olympics.
The rest of your post is crap.

JongJong
08-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Ever since Nadal is doing this it kind of makes him not like him more and more.....

GasquetGOAT
08-08-2009, 12:41 PM
preemptive excuses :lol:

I like the term 'preemptive excuse':twisted: And I agree uncle Tony is behind this.

Aabye
08-08-2009, 12:41 PM
I actually think it's uncle Tony behind all of this. I think he took the RG loss harder than Rafa.

I doubt that, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one keeping this in the press. But it doesn't really matter. If you play, you're ready. So, if Nadal is at the USO and he doesn't trip while there then he is prepared.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 12:42 PM
NO HE HASNT.PERIOD.
He has spoken about the schedule but never whined about it the way Rafa does.And he did so only last year because of the Olympics.
The rest of your post is crap.
I agree, i remember that.

mandy01
08-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Ever since Nadal is doing this it kind of makes him not like him more and more.....
Its called the pressure of being the best and being expected to win..its not easy to handle for anyone..Nadal's a great guy( although I dont agree with him on that one) but maybe now his fans might understand where Roger was coming from.
Its not easy to handle the expectations of winning every single match you play.

All-rounder
08-08-2009, 12:43 PM
lol Nadal has been brainwashed by his fans. This all explains were guys like (nadal_freak, veron, King_grass) have disappeared to they have been in touch with nadal :)

P_Agony
08-08-2009, 12:45 PM
lol Nadal has been brainwashed by his fans. This all explains were guys like (nadal_freak, veron, King_grass) have disappeared to they have been in touch with nadal :)

Nadal_Freak and veron are not Nadal fans, but rather Nadal haters. Just ask drakulie, he'll tell you all about it.

namelessone

He realised his mistake,that's why he is talking about it now.He admitted that Madrid was a mistake.It's not an excuse,it's the reality that Nadal now has to face.He cannot enter tournaments with bum knees anymore.He has done so in the past it worked for him but time waits for no one and neither does tendinitis.He now knows that he cannot enter another Slam if he doesn't feel good.He entered his most succesfull Slam that away and didn't even make quarters.I think he was hurt by 2 things at RG:the fact that he lost to soderling of all people and that the crowd ignored him and even cheered his defeat,supporting soderling even in the 4th set tiebreak.He knew that defeat at RG would come one day,not that it would come like this.

Personally I think that the WB withdrawal hurt more.It's one thing to play and lose but I think it hurts more to stay at home,especially when you are the defending champion,while everyone else is at the greatest GS.

Serendipitous
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_1_23.gif

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Oh THAT explains it:)

mandy01
08-08-2009, 12:49 PM
He realised his mistake,that's why he is talking about it now.He admitted that Madrid was a mistake.It's not an excuse,it's the reality that Nadal now has to face.He cannot enter tournaments with bum knees anymore.He has done so in the past it worked for him but time waits for no one and neither does tendinitis.He now knows that he cannot enter another Slam if he doesn't feel good.He entered his most succesfull Slam that away and didn't even make quarters.I think he was hurt by 2 things at RG:the fact that he lost to soderling of all people and that the crowd ignored him and even cheered his defeat,supporting soderling even in the 4th set tiebreak.He knew that defeat at RG would come one day,not that it would come like this.

Personally I think that the WB withdrawal hurt more.It's one thing to play and lose but I think it hurts more to stay at home,especially when you are the defending champion,while everyone else is at the greatest GS.
Why Madrid? Why not Barcelona?( fewer points right?) Because he lost in Madrid?
Dont buy it and no I dont want to hear how attached he is to the tourney..Roger is extremely attached to Basel but missed it in 2005 because he wasnt sure of his fitness.

namelessone
08-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Bodo actually did.I believe it was in reference to that 'animal excitement" comment of Rafa's

I can't seriously believe that one guy can like the nr.2 more than the number 1.As I have said before,if Fed would have continued his decline as Nadal hit his no one would have made the hunter/hunted comparison.
Nadal has also been hunted.He defended his nr.2 for 160 weeks while chasing nr.1 spot and I bet he liked his time at nr.1.He has defended it from djokovic a few times and now he has to defend it from murray.

If he wouldn't have sabotaged himself by playing so much he would probably be at nr.1 still.

NickH87
08-08-2009, 12:52 PM
wahhhh nadal said this....wahhhh nadal said that.....im going to cry like a little baby because nadal said hes not ready....wahhhh

Serendipitous
08-08-2009, 12:52 PM
wahhhh nadal said this....wahhhh nadal said that.....im going to cry like a little baby because nadal said hes not ready....wahhhh

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Hey, does your mother know that you are up this late??
Constructive critisizm is always appreciated, your post, is gonna make u look like a ******

mandy01
08-08-2009, 12:54 PM
I can't seriously believe that one guy can like the nr.2 more than the number 1.As I have said before,if Fed would have continued his decline as Nadal hit his no one would have made the hunter/hunted comparison.
Nadal has also been hunted.He defended his nr.2 for 160 weeks while chasing nr.1 spot and I bet he liked his time at nr.1.He has defended it from djokovic a few times and now he has to defend it from murray.

If he wouldn't have sabotaged himself by playing so much he would probably be at nr.1 still.
Being no1 is a lot different than being no.2.For all these years except on clay Roger was the fav. going into all the events..suddenly it was Nadal.Its not easy to deal with.Even on clay so many expected Fed to overcome someone as brilliant as Nadal.
All in all it changed.I'm sure he liked being there.But handling the pressure is an entirely different thing.He was new to it in some ways.

drakulie
08-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Nadal_Freak and veron are not Nadal fans, but rather Nadal haters. Just ask drakulie, he'll tell you all about it.

Yup. You could include, The Truth in that group as well. Never seen posters make one player look like such a sissy.

namelessone
08-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Dont buy it and no I dont want to hear how attached he is to the tourney..Roger is extremely attached to Basel but missed it in 2005 because he wasnt sure of his fitness.

After playing in Madrid he had more pains and went to see a doctor and got another diagnosis.This is what the man himself said so I have to believe him.But he had pains in the clay season as well(since Monte Carlo) and won so I'm sure he thought that he could win RG as well.
Also another reason he got pains in Madrid is because of the Djokovic match,because he actually got a bye in that tournament so he played less but the djoker pushed him hard in that match.3 weeks of unnecessary tennis(rotterdam,barcelona,madrid) took their toll on him.He got injured in the rotterdam final and had problems after the madrid one so it's not like this was made up.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Yup. You could include, The Truth in that group as well. Never seen posters make one player look like such a sissy.
What did they say?? And they were supposed to be Nadal fans?

フェデラー
08-08-2009, 12:57 PM
where are the ***** at?

mandy01
08-08-2009, 12:57 PM
After playing in Madrid he had more pains and went to see a doctor and got another diagnosis by his doctor.This is what the man himself said so I have to believe him.But he had pains in the clay season as well(since Monte Carlo) and won so I'm sure he thought that he could win RG as well.
Also another reason he got pains in Madrid is because of the Djokovic match,because he actually got a bye in that tournament so he played less but the djoker pushed him hard in that match.3 weeks of unnecessary tennis(rotterdam,barcelona,madrid) took their toll on him.He got injured in the rotterdam final and had problems after the madrid one so it's not like this was made up. well he could've easily skipped Barcelona instead of playing 3 consecutive weeks.Or does he not understand his own limitations?
And Djokovic pushing him was a matter of chance.It dosent make playing Madrid a mistake.

Serendipitous
08-08-2009, 12:59 PM
where are the ***** at?

I'm right here.

P_Agony
08-08-2009, 01:00 PM
What did they say?? And they were supposed to be Nadal fans?

You would assume a poster called Nadal's Freak would be a fan of Nadal. :)

mandy01
08-08-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm right here. :lol: :lol:

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 01:02 PM
You would assume a poster called Nadal's Freak would be a fan of Nadal. :)
Well yeah...what happened?

Serendipitous
08-08-2009, 01:03 PM

He came out and said he's really a Gulbis fan.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 01:04 PM
He came out and said he's really a Gulbis fan.
For some reason i doubt that (no ofense):)

Serendipitous
08-08-2009, 01:06 PM
For some reason i doubt that (no ofense):)

I was just yoking. I'm sure that Mr. Freak is still a Nadal fan.

namelessone
Being no1 is a lot different than being no.2.For all these years except on clay Roger was the fav. going into all the events..suddenly it was Nadal.Its not easy to deal with.Even on clay so many expected Fed to overcome someone as brilliant as Nadal.
All in all it changed.I'm sure he liked being there.But handling the pressure is an entirely different thing.He was new to it in some ways.

Yeah,but you making it sound as if Nadal said "ah f**k it,I'm going back to nr.2,I like it more there".Nadal's decline came from his schedule which roughed up his knees.With more rested knees he could have approached RG differently and could have defended Wimbledon.Nadal's decline was more physical than mental,it's not like he couldn't take the pressure.Since he became nr.1 he improved his USOpen result by making his first semifinal there and he improved his AO results,by winning it,against Fed no less.Then the tendinits flared up again in MC and we all know what happened since then.He won clay masters but played very sloppy and got ousted in RG.And he couldn't defend wimbledon.

In the end I feel Rafa loss of nr.1 comes down to 3 things:

1)His knee condition
2)His sloppy clay game
3)Fed's comeback who waited around the corner for Nadal to hurt himself.

P_Agony

He kept treating Nadal like a sissy, providing excuses for just about anything Nadal does or says.

フェデラー
Gulbis smh.

namelessone
08-08-2009, 01:07 PM
well he could've easily skipped Barcelona instead of playing 3 consecutive weeks.Or does he not understand his own limitations?
And Djokovic pushing him was a matter of chance.It dosent make playing Madrid a mistake.

I think he does now.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 01:08 PM
He kept treating Nadal like a sissy, providing excuses for just about anything Nadal does or says.
OK, I dont really see the point of doing that

mandy01
08-08-2009, 01:09 PM
I think he does now. I certainly hope he does. .Not good to see players off with injuries like that.Thankfully he's still so much better conditioned than lets say Safin.And he's young..so plenty of time.
Marat.... :cry: :cry:

drakulie
08-08-2009, 01:10 PM

They are the only 3 posters that would constantly (post after post) say he is exhuasted, or injured, or has a blister, etc, etc, etc. This would happen after every loss. It got so bad, they would even do it when Nadal would win, like in a close match. I remember one thread where nadal got his *** handed to him the first set and The Freak/Veroniquem would post (during the match), time and time again how tired he was, exhausted, etc. In that match, Nadal came back to win the second set, and suddenly, thier posts changed of how well he was playing, and how he was showing the heart of a lion, yada, yada, yada.

This went on for nearly a year. They would cry about scheduling, how Nadal would someitmes have to play at night, or sometimes complain if he had to play during the day.

The excuse machine would make anyone who doesn't watch tennis think Nadal must be some sort of wussy.

Anyway, long story short, I started to calling them all "Nadal haters. "

Serendipitous
08-08-2009, 01:12 PM
They are the only 3 posters that would constantly (post after post) say he is exhuasted, or injured, or has a blister, etc, etc, etc. This would happen after every loss. It got so bad, they would even do it when Nadal would win, like in a close match. I remember one thread where nadal got his *** handed to him the first set and The Freak/Veroniquem would post (during the match), time and time again how tired he was, exhausted, etc. In that match, Nadal came back to win the second set, and suddenly, thier posts changed of how well he was playing, and how he was showing the heart of a lion, yada, yada, yada.

This went on for nearly a year. They would cry about scheduling, how Nadal would someitmes have to play at night, or sometimes complain if he had to play during the day.

The excuse machine would make anyone who doesn't watch tennis think Nadal must be some sort of wussy.

That's pretty interesting.

フェデラー
08-08-2009, 01:14 PM
thank god the ***** are gone.

Serendipitous
08-08-2009, 01:17 PM
thank god the ***** are gone.

No, I'm still here.

bruce38
08-08-2009, 01:29 PM
If Nadal doesn't win then he hasn't played his best tennis. Circular logic in a fantasy world that always makes him the best ever. Don't these guys ever get it?

maximo
08-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Nadal's going to surprise all of you when he plays next week!!

Serendipitous
08-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Nadal's going to surprise all of you when he plays next week!!

I sure hope so......:):):).......I hope it's a good surprise.

maximo
08-08-2009, 01:37 PM
I sure hope so......:):):).......I hope it's a good surprise.

We Need Rafa back playing some exquisite tennis! :twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK3y7gpX2kQ&feature=related

Serendipitous
08-08-2009, 01:40 PM

Nice highlights......:twisted::twisted::twisted:

edberg505
08-08-2009, 01:40 PM
If Nadal doesn't win then he hasn't played his best tennis. Circular logic in a fantasy world that always makes him the best ever. Don't these guys ever get it?

LMAO, that pretty much sums it up.

Chadwixx
08-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Nadal is mentally broken down. The loss to fed really seemed to hurt him.

He has been making more excuses than serena lately. Kafelnikov said it best, this is professional tennis we all have blisters.

Cesc Fabregas
08-08-2009, 01:52 PM
lol at this thread, *******s talking crap again, Federer is king of excuses mono, bad back, Mirka has a cold, hurt back again during rough sex with Mirka etc.

bolo
08-08-2009, 01:55 PM
lol at this thread, *******s talking crap again, Federer is king of excuses mono, bad back, Mirka has a cold, hurt back again during rough sex with Mirka etc.

Cesc, it's best to limit your presence in this thread, unless you want some sticky stuff all over you. :)

P_Agony
08-08-2009, 01:58 PM

Then why does Nadal feel the need to give excuses in advance? Has he learned from the mistake he made at the FO (where he should have given excuses in advance to prepare everyone for the beating he recieved?)

namelessone
08-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Nadal is mentally broken down. The loss to fed really seemed to hurt him.

He has been making more excuses than serena lately. Kafelnikov said it best, this is professional tennis we all have blisters.

Oh yeah,that's why he has in such a crappy mood in the Madrid ceremony.He almost cried.Come on...

He hasn't been making excuses,he has been pointing out the obvious.People have told him in the past that he shouldn't push so hard and now he has found out what his limits are and how he should approach entering tournaments health-wise.
"We all have blisters?".Look,a lot of players have tendinitis.But few play with Nadal's style and even fewer play at the top like Nadal does.Nadal's problems are not minor.Since 31 oct to present day about 9 months have passed.Out of those 9,Nadal stayed on the sidelines for 4 and a half months combined.If that's not a serious injury I don't know what is.He missed TMC and DC final and then he skipped queens and Wimbledon and DC tie.All big tournaments.

Cesc Fabregas
08-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Then why does Nadal feel the need to give excuses in advance? Has he learned from the mistake he made at the FO (where he should have given excuses in advance to prepare everyone for the beating he recieved?)

Nadal isn't a 100% fit, he is rusty and is still feeling discomfort in his knee.

maximo
Cesc, it's best to limit your presence in this thread, unless you want some sticky stuff all over you. :)

That's what happened to me all day. ;)

I guess Cesc can do the night shift.

Cesc Fabregas

hahaha, lol.

Serendipitous
08-08-2009, 02:04 PM

Sounds like fun.

Chadwixx
08-08-2009, 02:04 PM
He hit a double :)

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 02:05 PM

Lol, wow...thats...quite a story...some ppl never stop to amaze you.

raiden031
08-08-2009, 02:07 PM
This is why Nadal is not as good a sportsman as people think. He creates a pre-emptive excuse if he doesn't perform well. Its a win-win situation.

If Nadal loses bad at the US Open, its because he's not 100%.

If Nadal wins the US Open, then he is amazing because he can overcome his injury and come back strong.

Thats why he should just shut up and let the racquet do the talking.

Mansewerz
08-08-2009, 02:08 PM

Don't get him started! :D

Wasn't he on crutches as well? Either way, good point.

That's part of his game style though.

Nadal's english is bad so take everything he says with a grain of salt.When he was asked about the schedule,he responded that he has played the same schedule in previous years so he didn't think that it would be a problem in 09'.But his body has caught up to him this year and he realised it.That's why he is saying things about scheduling now.

But IMO he shouldn't complain.He's the one that added another full unneccesary month of tennis to his schedule by playing rotterdam,barcelona and Madrid.I think this is a real catch 22 for him.In order for Rafa to get into form,into a rhythm if you will,he needs to play a lot of matches,a lot of tournaments.But playing too many can hurt his body.But if he plays too few he can't get good enough because he will have little competitional mileage.

Key Point in bold.

LOL

Yeah,but you making it sound as if Nadal said "ah f**k it,I'm going back to nr.2,I like it more there".Nadal's decline came from his schedule which roughed up his knees.With more rested knees he could have approached RG differently and could have defended Wimbledon.Nadal's decline was more physical than mental,it's not like he couldn't take the pressure.Since he became nr.1 he improved his USOpen result by making his first semifinal there and he improved his AO results,by winning it,against Fed no less.Then the tendinits flared up again in MC and we all know what happened since then.He won clay masters but played very sloppy and got ousted in RG.And he couldn't defend wimbledon.

1)His knee condition
2)His sloppy clay game

Yes, he played so horrible in Roland Garros. I guess Robin Soderling didn't do anything right that day :rolleyes:

And point number 3 is ridiculous. Yes, Fed was waiting on his Netjets plane, petting a white cat, thinking "when will this man break down so I can make a comeback". Fed was not waiting for an injury. He was working his own fricking game!

Um, WTF? sticky stuff :twisted:

bolo
08-08-2009, 02:09 PM
That's what happened to me all day. ;)

I guess Cesc can do the night shift.

lol. You have to wonder what Seren. is doing in this thread. He must be soaked right now. :)

This is my last post lest I be marked. :)

Serendipitous
08-08-2009, 02:13 PM
lol. You have to wonder what Seren. is doing in this thread. He must be soaked right now. :)

This is my last post lest I be marked. :)

Soaked? :confused:

P_Agony
08-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Nadal isn't a 100% fit, he is rusty and is still feeling discomfort in his knee.

Then he shouldn't play, simple as that. If he plays he is 100%, no excuses. If he wins, good for him, if he losses, he was outplayed, end of story.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Then he shouldn't play, simple as that. If he plays he is 100%, no excuses. If he wins, good for him, if he losses, he was outplayed, end of story.
I agree, either you are all in or you are all out!

namelessone
08-08-2009, 02:57 PM
@Mansewerz,
Yes, he played so horrible in Roland Garros. I guess Robin Soderling didn't do anything right that day :rolleyes:

And point number 3 is ridiculous. Yes, Fed was waiting on his Netjets plane, petting a white cat, thinking "when will this man break down so I can make a comeback". Fed was not waiting for an injury. He was working his own fricking game!

Don't misinterpret.I didn't include Soderling because he simpy took advantage of the situation that favored him.The conditions were dry and fast and Nadal was playing crappy as he had done in the rest of the clay season(almost losing to djokovic twice,losing to federer,being 4-0 against verdasco in barca,losing exo before RG against nr.109 in the world and struggling against 31 old daniel)and soderling had nothing to lose so he hit almost everything for a winner.Nadal played bad in RG and got ousted by the first serious player he came across.And don't give me the "hewitt destruction" argument,hewitt is a veteran coming off a hip surgery who played on his worst surface.Even if he would have beat Soderling,Davydenko would have killed the Nadal that showed up at RG 09'.People make such a big fuss out of the Soderling match that you would think that Nadal lost 6-2,6-0,6-1 whereas only the first set was clearly won by Soderling,the other three were close.

When I was talking about Fed waiting I was saying that Fed needed Nadal to crumble,game-wise or body-wise because if Nadal had won RG(perhaps even against Fed again) and entered WB, Federer wouldn't have been exactly on cloud nine.Fed did his thing and Nadal's knees+Soderling gave him a chance at a comeback and he took it.It's as simple as that.Fed could have worked on his game all he wanted.If Nadal had taken better care of himself and had won the RG again Federer wouldn't have had so much confidence.How many Fed fans believed that Roger could have won RG this year? Very few,let me tell you that.For Rog to win RG,someone else would have to take care of Rafa or Nadal should have been injured/retired.Turns out it was a bit of both as Nadal entered with rickety knees and Soderling was red hot that day.

Without the RG,Federer wouldn't have had the calm to approach WB again as he did this year.RG 09' was a big turning point for Federer,it catapulted him not only to greatness but to a life in which he is relieved of tennis pressure because he has achieved most of the things he set out to do.He is now probably looking to grab another 2-3 slams and he'll call it a day.I know he wants to play at least until 2012 but he will be 31 by then.Even though he is very talented I find it hard to believe that he will be winning Slams at that age.

Cyan
08-08-2009, 03:01 PM

"Rafa", the only player on tour that does not cr@p in his pants when he plays Fed at a slam final. Imagine if Rafa did not exist all these years? Tennis would have been a comedy of errors with a bunch of sissies and pansies choking and cr@pping in their pants non-stop vs Fed at the slam finals :oops: Then again all slam finals these past few years where the player in the other side of the net vs Fed was not Rafa, was a choker, pant crapper with no balls :oops:

Cesc Fabregas
08-08-2009, 03:05 PM
"Rafa", the only player on tour that does not cr@p in his pants when he plays Fed at a slam final. Imagine if Rafa did not exist all these years? Tennis would have been a comedy of errors with a bunch of sissies and pansies choking and cr@pping in their pants non-stop vs Fed at the slam finals :oops: Then again all slam finals these past few years where the player in the other side of the net vs Fed was not Rafa, was a choker, pant crapper with no balls :oops:

If Nadal wasn't around tennis would have been terrible 03-09 Federer would have about 23 slams and tennis would have been pointless to watch.

Cyan
08-08-2009, 03:11 PM
If Nadal wasn't around tennis would have been terrible 03-09 Federer would have about 23 slams and tennis would have been pointless to watch.

Exactly. :oops::oops:

Mansewerz
08-08-2009, 03:15 PM

I love your objectivity!

[/end sarcasm]

Do you realize that those pansies that you speak of are the same field that Rafa faces? I guess Rafa doesn't deserve his **** either!

@Mansewerz,

Don't misinterpret.I didn't include Soderling because he simpy took advantage of the situation that favored him.The conditions were dry and fast and Nadal was playing crappy as he had done in the rest of the clay season(almost losing to djokovic twice,losing to federer,being 4-0 against verdasco in barca,losing exo before RG against nr.109 in the world and struggling against 31 old daniel)and soderling had nothing to lose so he hit almost everything for a winner.Nadal played bad in RG and got ousted by the first serious player he came across.And don't give me the "hewitt destruction" argument,hewitt is a veteran coming off a hip surgery who played on his worst surface.Even if he would have beat Soderling,Davydenko would have killed the Nadal that showed up at RG 09'.People make such a big fuss out of the Soderling match that you would think that Nadal lost 6-2,6-0,6-1 whereas only the first set was clearly won by Soderling,the other three were close.

When I was talking about Fed waiting I was saying that Fed needed Nadal to crumble,game-wise or body-wise because if Nadal had won RG(perhaps even against Fed again) and entered WB, Federer wouldn't have been exactly on cloud nine.Fed did his thing and Nadal's knees+Soderling gave him a chance at a comeback and he took it.It's as simple as that.Fed could have worked on his game all he wanted.If Nadal had taken better care of himself and had won the RG again Federer wouldn't have had so much confidence.How many Fed fans believed that Roger could have won RG this year? Very few,let me tell you that.For Rog to win RG,someone else would have to take care of Rafa or Nadal should have been injured/retired.Turns out it was a bit of both as Nadal entered with rickety knees and Soderling was red hot that day.

Without the RG,Federer wouldn't have had the calm to approach WB again as he did this year.RG 09' was a big turning point for Federer,it catapulted him not only to greatness but to a life in which he is relieved of tennis pressure because he has achieved most of the things he set out to do.He is now probably looking to grab another 2-3 slams and he'll call it a day.I know he wants to play at least until 2012 but he will be 31 by then.Even though he is very talented I find it hard to believe that he will be winning Slams at that age.

He didn't really struggle against Marcos Daniel. Pretty sound win there.

The way I see it, Rafa was not at the same level as he was in 2008 RG, but he was still at a level that could have won him RG2009. He was outplayed, plain and simple.

And your elaboration on the Federer point I brought up was good. It was just the word choice earlier that sounded wrong to me.

So let's see this. Even if Rafa wasn't playing his best tennis and playing "crappy", why was everyone saying "Rafa will win FO 2009 easily". Yet the moment he lost, he was playing crappy. Last I checked, he almost sweeped every clay court tournament that he played. And almost losing to Djoker? Are you serious? He almost lost to Djoker in 2008 as well, his most dominant year the red stuff. But I agree, he wasn't playing as well as 2008 standards (who could blame him that level was high as hell!).

So why is it that when Federer was losing last year, everyone was catching up. He was not declining, people just figured him out. Rafa was the ultimate player for defeating the Mighty Federer. Very few people actually admitted that Federer was playing at a much lower level than he was 2004-2007.

Double standards, no?

Mansewerz
08-08-2009, 03:16 PM
This is why Nadal is not as good a sportsman as people think. He creates a pre-emptive excuse if he doesn't perform well. Its a win-win situation.

If Nadal loses bad at the US Open, its because he's not 100%.

If Nadal wins the US Open, then he is amazing because he can overcome his injury and come back strong.

Thats why he should just shut up and let the racquet do the talking.

I agree. He is similar to some of his fans (TheTruth). He may not come out and say crap like "I wasn't outplayed, I played utterly horrible". He is discreet in his ways, but under it all, he is still being unsportsmanlike.

JennyS
08-08-2009, 03:34 PM
I wonder why it has taken Nadal this long to figure out that he overplays especially during the spring. Just consider that since 2005 (when he won Beijing and Madrid, he hasn't won a title later than August....

2006: won no titles after the French Open. Made only one final (Wimbledon)

2007: won only one title after the French Open Stuttgart (July)
played only one final after that (Paris Masters)

2008: won 4 tournaments after the French Open, the last coming in August (the Olympics)
Didn't make another final during the year.

Cyan
08-08-2009, 03:36 PM
I love your objectivity!

[/end sarcasm]

Do you realize that those pansies that you speak of are the same field that Rafa faces? I guess Rafa doesn't deserve his **** either!

He doesn't cr@p or pee vs Fed at slam finals. The rest of the players on tour do. They don't have the cojones to beat Fed at a slam final. Period. :oops:

FedFan_2009
08-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Yes ****** is a flaming evil hypocrite!!!!

LafayetteHitter
08-08-2009, 03:40 PM
He must have hired the old Williams excuse coach.

FedFan_2009
08-08-2009, 03:42 PM
He doesn't cr@p or pee vs Fed at slam finals. The rest of the players on tour do. They don't have the cojones to beat Fed at a slam final. Period. :oops:

The rest of them are not willing to blow out their knees to beat Federer in a slam final, they see the BIGGER picture! F.e, Nole often cites "career management" when he tanks a grand slam match.

Cyan
08-08-2009, 03:47 PM
The rest of them are not willing to blow out their knees to beat Federer in a slam final, they see the BIGGER picture! F.e, Nole often cites "career management" when he tanks a grand slam match.

I take Nadal retiring with 8 slams over Nole AKA the new Safin retiring with just 2 slams.

FedFan_2009
08-08-2009, 03:51 PM
I take Nadal retiring with 8 slams over Nole AKA the new Safin retiring with just 2 slams.

Nole can "career manage" his way to 4 slams I think. Most important to stay injury free then FIGHT LIKE MAD BULL TO WIN RIGHT NOW!

drakulie
08-08-2009, 04:02 PM
I agree. He is similar to some of his fans (TheTruth). He may not come out and say crap like "I wasn't outplayed, I played utterly horrible". He is discreet in his ways, but under it all, he is still being unsportsmanlike.

Sometimes I wonder if the *******s on this board are talking about Nadal or Serena with all the excuses and less than "100%" Bull crap.

Cyan
08-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Nole can "career manage" his way to 4 slams I think.

Doubt it....

yung goon
08-08-2009, 04:19 PM
cut the guy some slack hes been off for 2 months. sorry if he cant say with 100% sincerity that his knees will be fine.

mandy01
08-08-2009, 08:04 PM

1)His knee condition
2)His sloppy clay game

First off ,if he's so good with pressure why the hell does he constantly put himself as the underdog?
Whats this nonsense of him not being the fav. and Roger being the favourite?
As for your 3 things..WRONG.
1)Nadal's condition was his own fault.
2) Thats his problem..And no he may not have been at his best but he was not sloppy.He won three tourneys and reached one final.I dont buy it.
3) Federer didnt 'wait around.' He was consistent,better conditioned and wiser with his schedule.

mandy01
08-08-2009, 08:06 PM
lol at this thread, *******s talking crap again, Federer is king of excuses mono, bad back, Mirka has a cold, hurt back again during rough sex with Mirka etc. lame :lol:
You call Fed the king of excuses ? Well in that case Nadal is the king of both pre-emptive and post loss excuses.:wink:

Sentinel
08-08-2009, 08:36 PM
As long as his knees are fine, I hope he plays. Better to have a less than 100% Nadal than most of the other awfully boring inconsistent mentally weak players!

I hope we can keep away from all the "asterisk against this win" threads and posts, though.

Sentinel
08-08-2009, 08:39 PM
I wish Federer would learn a thing or two from Nole about Career Management.

World Beater
08-08-2009, 09:28 PM

nadal's english isnt that bad. i heard his own clear words in the interview on TV. anyways, bottomline - nadal has changed his tone for sure. he didnt blame the schedule before and now he does.

he has nobody to blame but himself.

JeMar
08-08-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm just gonna post what I posted on the other thread just like this.

If Nadal starts making excuses, it's a good sign he's feeling great.

Look, some people need a crutch in order to play their best. In Nadal's case, it's low expectations on anything but clay. In Federer's case, he thrives under heavy expectations. This isn't new, and it's not going to change. Just learn to live with it, guys.

World Beater
08-08-2009, 09:34 PM

its a pity nadal's cojones are nowhere to be found at the usopen or against the atp tour.

フェデラー
08-08-2009, 09:44 PM
just be happy nadal exists that there can actually be a goat debate. If nadal didnt exist, federer would have 3 calender slams by now, on top of that he would have most likely gotten gold at beijing, and would have surpassed pete's most weeks at no.1 and most year end no.1s.

mandy01
08-08-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm just gonna post what I posted on the other thread just like this.

If Nadal starts making excuses, it's a good sign he's feeling great.

Look, some people need a crutch in order to play their best. In Nadal's case, it's low expectations on anything but clay. In Federer's case, he thrives under heavy expectations. This isn't new, and it's not going to change. Just learn to live with it, guys.
Exactly..no way I'm buying it..he said the same thing before AO and then won it..I am more than sure he'll come out blazing.The rust will wear off as he starts to get matches under his belt.

rafan
08-09-2009, 01:40 AM
Exactly. :oops::oops:

I second that

rafan
08-09-2009, 01:41 AM
Exactly..no way I'm buying it..he said the same thing before AO and then won it..I am more than sure he'll come out blazing.The rust will wear off as he starts to get matches under his belt.

Well Mandy lets hope so - we need Fed and Rafa