PDA

View Full Version : Had a really crap training seesion for the 2nd day in a row!

mTm28
08-08-2009, 01:41 PM
For the second day in a row ive had a really crap training session, my performance coach even stopped my training and threw me off the court because i got so angry with myself. So i was wondering how you guys cope with a bad session or a string of bad hits? What do you do to make you confidence recover? Or dont you care and just get on with it?

mTm28
08-08-2009, 01:42 PM
sorry if this threads in the wrong place, still getting used to this forum thing.

onkystomper
08-08-2009, 01:46 PM
dude.. bottom line is sometimes you just don't click and then you get angry... the trouble is for most t=when they get angry they get worse and then do what you are doing... worrying about it and next time in your head you are thinking 'dont have a bad session' but the human mind can not process negatives i.e. dont do something...

so what you got to try and do is think i WILL be good this time and just let the bad session go.. it is in the past. just try to relax and not think about it too much :)

HA it is so easier said than done though...

Mick
08-08-2009, 01:49 PM
in the history of tennis, i think only john mcenroe managed to play better when he's angry. everybody else plays worse.

mTm28
08-08-2009, 02:20 PM
dude.. bottom line is sometimes you just don't click and then you get angry... the trouble is for most t=when they get angry they get worse and then do what you are doing... worrying about it and next time in your head you are thinking 'dont have a bad session' but the human mind can not process negatives i.e. dont do something...

so what you got to try and do is think i WILL be good this time and just let the bad session go.. it is in the past. just try to relax and not think about it too much :)

HA it is so easier said than done though...

Lol alot easier said, than done! :) But dont you dwell on them and try and figure out why it went that badly wrong?

TennisNinja
08-08-2009, 04:09 PM
in the history of tennis, i think only john mcenroe managed to play better when he's angry. everybody else plays worse.

Him and maybe Jimmy Connors.

120mphBodyServe
08-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Try and listen to some music that will relax you before you play.
Don't be so hard on yourself, learn from your mistakes don't get angry at yourself. That's not going to do anything for you....
You're just learning ok? We all made mistakes along the way...
Analyse your mistakes so you know what's happening with your strokes...
Maybe lay off the sugar and processed foods? Maybe there's a preservative that's making your brain go wacko??

And if you feel like you're going to lose it... Just take a deep breath, inhale with the nose and exhale with your mouth...
Close your eyes and imagine you're somewhere beautiful...
Or maybe you're a migratory bird gliding over the ocean along with your other migratory bird friends getting ready for the eating/mating season... :-D
Keep doing this until the rage has gone...

Relaxx.... Find some relaxing music.... mmmmmmmm....

Datacipher
08-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Him and maybe Jimmy Connors.

Connors wasn't sincerely angry. Sure, he'd get ticked off, but he was a controller and manipulator. He'd use these things to his advantage. Half the time, he would pretend to be angrier than he really was.

However, Gonzalez and Nastase are 2 others who sometimes played better when angry. Nastase, found that as he got towards the end of his career, anger made him play worse, not better, and he felt Mcenroe had that problem also.

Bill Tilden was also said to be capable of hitting repeated aces when he got angry.

Oh, and maybe Tarango, but anger was his semi-normal state.

Birke
08-09-2009, 10:07 AM
You need to step away for a moment...go to the nearest drinking fountain and let some water run on your forehead and face. Cools and calms you down when you get too heated