PDA

View Full Version : Ashaway Crossfire 17 and similar strings setups

TheSubdude
08-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Does anyone use this string set or something similar to it? How do you string yours up?

I've never used it and have a set in my bag. What's the best way to try it out?

Thanks.

The_Question
08-08-2009, 06:56 PM
I used to use Crossfire 17. I used on a Prince Speedport Tour and did 60 on main (kevlar), and 63 on cross (syn gut). It's pretty stiff, and feel pretty dead.

Another one that's similar to Crossfire is Prince Pro Blend. It's a bit less stiffer...

TheSubdude
08-09-2009, 04:14 PM
That's a lot tighter than I would go but three - five pounds was what I had in mind.

How did that feel when you played it. . . besides stiff?

2ndserveace
08-09-2009, 04:40 PM
I use Crossfire II (basically 16 gauge Crossfire) right now. I string it up at 59lbs and it feels pretty good. It lacks the control I thought it would have, but control is still pretty good. Power is more than I thought it would be for the Kevlar, ans spin is great. I feel no discomfort in my arm, but the lack of feel is annoying at times. I break the mains in about 5 hours versus the two hours I was breaking full poly in.

Toad
08-09-2009, 04:59 PM
I have used Ashaway Crossfire 17 and similar variation for the past year. In all of my Kevlar/syn gut hybrids I string the Kevlar at 52 and syn gut at 55 (I use a Babolat Pure Drive +, no Cortex). I haven't played much with tensions, but I would string the Kevlar in the 48-55 lb range and the syn gut in the 53-60 range stringing the syn gut 3-6 lbs tighter than the Kevlar.

Ashaway Crossfire 17 has been my mainstay hybrid during all my testing for the past year, but since I am now stringing myself I am moving to a Ashaway Kevlar 18/Gosen OG Micro 17 hybrid as I have found this to last me about 25-30 hours which is when the tension loss becomes unbearable in the Kevlar for me. I am using Gosen OG Micro in the crosses because it is crisper and holds tension better than the Ashaway syn gut (and it is cheaper). Ashaway Crossfire 17 will give you amazing control, and my hybrid will give you even more control with a little more power.

I have also tried a Prince Pro Blend with Duraflex 16/PSGD 15L hybrid which I absolutely hated. It had a very dead feel and I didn't get good control with it.

I have also tried Gamma TNT Fusion Plus 19 which is a prepackaged hybrid (19 ga. Kevlar, 17 ga. syn gut). It didn't last long enough for me to justify the cost of it (somewhere around 4 hours), but it was marginally better than my Ashaway Kevlar 18/Gosen OG Micro 17 hybrid and I would highly recommend trying it if you aren't that big of a string breaker. It actually felt like a pretty lively string to me...not what you would expect from a Kevlar based hybrid.

If you are looking for more info, I recommend skimming through:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=276348

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=190596

lostinamerica
08-09-2009, 05:18 PM
I used it many years ago when I was playing college. I used it because I broke everything else (sans Pro Blend). I actually like it much better than Pro Blend. It is great of you are a string breaker but other wise go with something softer and more playable.

TheSubdude
08-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Great links. Thanks. I'm excited about trying this out.

I have used Ashaway Crossfire 17 and similar variation for the past year. In all of my Kevlar/syn gut hybrids I string the Kevlar at 52 and syn gut at 55 (I use a Babolat Pure Drive +, no Cortex). I haven't played much with tensions, but I would string the Kevlar in the 48-55 lb range and the syn gut in the 53-60 range stringing the syn gut 3-6 lbs tighter than the Kevlar.

Ashaway Crossfire 17 has been my mainstay hybrid during all my testing for the past year, but since I am now stringing myself I am moving to a Ashaway Kevlar 18/Gosen OG Micro 17 hybrid as I have found this to last me about 25-30 hours which is when the tension loss becomes unbearable in the Kevlar for me. I am using Gosen OG Micro in the crosses because it is crisper and holds tension better than the Ashaway syn gut (and it is cheaper). Ashaway Crossfire 17 will give you amazing control, and my hybrid will give you even more control with a little more power.

I have also tried a Prince Pro Blend with Duraflex 16/PSGD 15L hybrid which I absolutely hated. It had a very dead feel and I didn't get good control with it.

I have also tried Gamma TNT Fusion Plus 19 which is a prepackaged hybrid (19 ga. Kevlar, 17 ga. syn gut). It didn't last long enough for me to justify the cost of it (somewhere around 4 hours), but it was marginally better than my Ashaway Kevlar 18/Gosen OG Micro 17 hybrid and I would highly recommend trying it if you aren't that big of a string breaker. It actually felt like a pretty lively string to me...not what you would expect from a Kevlar based hybrid.

If you are looking for more info, I recommend skimming through:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=276348

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=190596

TheSubdude
08-24-2009, 01:10 PM
I finally got this strung up, and it stopped raining long enough to hit with it (30 minutes worth). With that little bit of time, I'm still on the fence.

Ashaway Crossfire 17 at 48/52 in a Prince O3 Tour Hybrid.

Honestly, all I can say after 30 minutes in heavy humidity is it felt a little dead. It felt a lot dead. Is that what to expect - trade feel for durability?

Toad
08-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Honestly, all I can say after 30 minutes in heavy humidity is it felt a little dead. It felt a lot dead. Is that what to expect - trade feel for durability?

I would give it a little more than 30 minutes, but yes, it will no doubt feel very dead. The only Kevlar that doesn't feel dead to me is Gamma TNT Fusion Plus 19, and Ashaway Kevlar 18 comes in second in that department. I would either try Gamma TNT Fusion, or try the same hybrid strung about 5 lbs tighter. When my Kevlar setups get loose, they become hard to control and lose any feel. I also find the prepackaged Crossfire syn gut to be kinda crappy. Gosen 17 made it crisper and more lively for me.

Dark_Angel85
08-24-2009, 05:45 PM
I've been using kevlar and the Ashaway kevlar hybrids are not something new to me. i've tried from Crossfire II to the Crossfire 18.... I've even tried other brands of kevlar that match up similar to it... all the way up to the thick-arse 15 gauge kevlar.

can't trade anything for it cause

it's durability/playability is the best balance i've got for it's price and times i have to restring my racquets.

of course... playability will be relative eh? but durability... you should get the picture, eh?

The_Question
08-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Ashaway Crossfire 17 at 48/52 in a Prince O3 Tour Hybrid.

Wow, that's very low tension you got there...up to mid 50s on both main and cross...