PDA

View Full Version : Best Tennis Movies

YEMntFtb
04-01-2005, 07:40 PM
What are some good tennis movies? Not documentries but movies about people who play tennis. I saw one awhile back about a kick trying to make it in the futures and his coach and stuff.

Anyway, must be some movies out there.

dAgEnIuS
04-01-2005, 07:46 PM
i dont think there are lot of tennis movies out there.....
the only one i know, and that i saw was the recent "Wimbledon" and it was awful...

Capt. Willie
04-01-2005, 08:12 PM
I can only think of a few and they are all bad. Players (1979) Dean Paul Martin and Ali McGraw. Martin is playing the Wimbledon final against Vilas and the story is told in flashbacks as to how he got to where he is. Lots of cameos by the top players of the time. Spring Fever (1983) Carling Bassett. I don't remember it all that well, as I recall it was about a junior girls tournament mixed with typical 80s teen comedy. Jocks (1987) Really bad teen comedy about a college tennis team playing for the national championship. Speaking of Wimbledon, when the real life Wimbledon champion is hotter than the Hollywood actress playing a Wimbledon champion, you know you're in trouble.

MegacedU
04-01-2005, 08:44 PM
I LOVED Wimbeldon. How can you say it was awful. It was the cutest thing in the world. I actually got nervous watching it. The camera work was really cool.

supersmash
04-01-2005, 09:19 PM
I don't think a pro would smack a ball into the net when his opponent is on the floor.

Capt. Willie
04-01-2005, 09:38 PM
Come to think of it, sports movies in general are usually pretty bad. The only sport that seems to occasionally produce good movies is boxing. On The Waterfront, Rocky (the first one, not the subsequent crap), Raging Bull and most recently Million Dollar Baby.

aj_m2009
04-01-2005, 09:46 PM
Come to think of it, sports movies in general are usually pretty bad. The only sport that seems to occasionally produce good movies is boxing. On The Waterfront, Rocky (the first one, not the subsequent crap), Raging Bull and most recently Million Dollar Baby.

What about Hoosiers? It isn't boxing but it was still a great movie, especially since it was about a high school in my home state and made there too(surprisingly). Anyway, I don't really know of any tennis movies besides Wimbledon. Isn't there supposed to be one coming out later this year?

Capt. Willie
04-01-2005, 10:32 PM
What about Hoosiers? It isn't boxing but it was still a great movie When I said boxing movies I was talking in general terms as that sport seemed to produce the best subject matter for some reason. But yes, I agree Hoosiers was a very good film. Another good sports movie, in my opinion, was Seabiscuit. Of course that was more about three men who had fallen opon hard times and overcame their personal demons through a castoff horse. Oh, and another one I liked was The Bad News Bears (the first one, the other two sucked). The very fact that the Bears lost the championship game made it so much better...in the end they gained something far greater than a championship, they gained self respect.

aj_m2009
04-01-2005, 10:41 PM
When I said boxing movies I was talking in general terms as that sport seemed to produce the best subject matter for some reason. But yes, I agree Hoosiers was a very good film. Another good sports movie, in my opinion, was Seabiscuit. Of course that was more about three men who had fallen opon hard times and overcame their personal demons through a castoff horse. Oh, and another one I liked was The Bad News Bears (the first one, the other two sucked). The very fact that the Bears lost the championship game made it so much better...in the end they gained something far greater than a championship, they gained self respect.

I knew what you were saying but I was kinda trying to say "hey, there may be some good boxing movies but it isn't the only sport that has a good movie." Anyway, I haven't seen the others but I would like to see them. Oh, and Remember the Titans was also a really great movie, its kinda about football, but probably more not.

0.2RatedPlayer
04-01-2005, 10:48 PM
i dont think there are lot of tennis movies out there.....
the only one i know, and that i saw was the recent "Wimbledon" and it was awful...

yeah, i agree. they dove so many times in that movie. that petercult guy dove in every single match, how unrealistic.

Kirko
04-01-2005, 11:11 PM
Strangers on a Train by Alfred Hitchcock. The best boxing movie The Harder they fall; with humphrey bogart and rod steiger.

Kaptain Karl
04-02-2005, 12:06 AM
There are NO good tennis movies, period. (Meg, you just proved you're a Chick with your praise of that awful movie. It wasn't a tennis movie. It was a Chick Flick.)

- KK

MegacedU
04-02-2005, 03:37 PM
Well I've never been one to hide my Chick-ness.

Kirko
04-02-2005, 03:50 PM
wimbledon I got "red in the face" , that is embarassed watching it. It was super bullsh********t.

splink779
04-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Wimbledon was embarassing to our sport. The ball was computer generated and the players didn't know what they were doing, yet they still showed match play and it looked ridiculous. Maybe they coul've used stunt doubles but put the actor's faces on them with special fx. Its been done.

MegacedU
04-02-2005, 04:17 PM
God Almighty, what did you want REAL players? If that's what you want turn on the Tennis channel. Maybe Wimbeldon thinks you're an embarassment to tennis too.

Oh btw - I BOUGHTthe dvd and saw a show on the making of it. Kirsten Dunst had to go through LOTS of training for that and so did all the tennis playing actors.

The movie was not created for masters of the game like ourselves. It was appealing to the general public and that's the mission.

aj_m2009
04-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Wimbledon was embarassing to our sport. The ball was computer generated and the players didn't know what they were doing, yet they still showed match play and it looked ridiculous. Maybe they coul've used stunt doubles but put the actor's faces on them with special fx. Its been done.

I haven't seen Wimbledon so I don't know how bad or good it was so...yeah. Anyway, what they should have done was get some recently retired players to play the parts so it might not look so bad.

MegacedU
04-02-2005, 04:23 PM
They had Johnny Mac and that's allllll that matters.

aj_m2009
04-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Like I said, I haven't seen it, I mean so I can't really say anything about it but from what Splink said, and everyone else for that matter(except Meg), it sounded horrible. That also means that I don't really know who was in it besides Kirsten Dunst and Paul Bettany.

Honestlybad
04-02-2005, 04:29 PM
That movie was really bad. The guy playing the lead role (i didn't even other to memorize his name) was spastic. He did not even know how to run. It was so embarrasing to watch him try to move around on the court...

splink779
04-02-2005, 04:32 PM
God Almighty, what did you want REAL players? If that's what you want turn on the Tennis channel. Maybe Wimbeldon thinks you're an embarassment to tennis too.

Oh btw - I BOUGHTthe dvd and saw a show on the making of it. Kirsten Dunst had to go through LOTS of training for that and so did all the tennis playing actors.

The movie was not created for masters of the game like ourselves. It was appealing to the general public and that's the mission.

You're right. But that just makes me more angry. If you see other sports movies (baseball, football, basketball) they do a fine job making it look realistic. It's just frustrating because tennis is relatively small in America. Just like ESPN doesn't care about pleasing real fans (i.e. only showing americans, and replays of americans), the movie producer's didnt care about making it look truly realistic.

schaefferm46
04-03-2005, 02:59 PM
rudy...........rudy...............rudy rudy

aj_m2009
04-03-2005, 03:01 PM
rudy...........rudy...............rudy rudy

Yes, this was also a great movie, and also about a team in Indiana(right?).:)

Capt. Willie
04-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Rudy :) yeah I forgot about that one. I guess there are a few more good sports movies than I had originaly given Hollywood credit for. We should start a new thread...worst movies. My vote: The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh.

bertrevert
04-04-2005, 12:14 AM
Wimbledon was formulaic - but I thought the match play at least achieved realism!

It's a cool fillum.

The Legend of Baggar Vance was not too bad in terms of golf: Will Smith et al.

The Tennis sub-theme in The Royal Tannenbaums is pretty hilarious stuff.

aj_m2009
04-04-2005, 12:18 AM
Does Happy Gilmore count as a golf movie? That movie was hilarious.

matchpoints
04-04-2005, 01:36 AM
Of course she's going to like that movie. Everyone said it was a chick flick, hence why I'm not paying to watch it.
It's really hard to make a good tennis movie as the sport doesn't have as many fans and some of the other sports. It was still nice to see an attempt though. I wish they had used Kournikova as the leading role. That would have brought more attention and maybe then I would have payed to watch it.

Capt. Willie
04-04-2005, 10:01 AM
The Tennis sub-theme in The Royal Tannenbaums is pretty hilarious stuff. Royal Tannenbaums is an awesome movie and ya gotta love the whole Borg thing the one son had going on.

MegacedU
04-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Scarlett Johansen in In Good Company is a tennis player. Topher Grace is such a cutie.

Capt. Willie
04-04-2005, 08:39 PM
Scarlett Johansen in In Good Company is a tennis player. Topher Grace is such a cutie. Ummmm.....no, Scarlett Johansen is the cutie.

theace21
04-04-2005, 09:12 PM
If I remember the tennis action in players was pretty good, it was the lack of any plot that killed the movie...Going to blockbuster and see if they have ever heard of Players - back to the VHS machine for that one...

wt888usa
04-04-2005, 09:35 PM
i saw a movie once on tv i think it was called "The break" anyone seen this? anyone know where i can get it cause I watched it a long time ago when i wasn't interested in tennis and would like to watch it again. couldn't find it in blockbuster...

Camilio Pascual
04-05-2005, 05:58 AM
Baseball seems to be the sport best for books and boxing for movies. There was tennis incidental to the story in the truly great movie, "The Garden of the Finzi-Continis."

Kirko
04-05-2005, 12:13 PM
That was a wonderful movie ! Also the Last Emperor had a tennis scene that related to the thrust of the story of Henry Pui.

MonkeyPox
04-05-2005, 04:27 PM
I just saw Wimbledon on the plane on a recent trip to Europe, otherwise I never would have. I had heard Pat Cash talking about how he trained Dunst and Bettany to be good players, but they were horrid. I mean pretty good considering that neither of them had ever picked up a racquet, but come on it was a disgrace to Wimbledon to use their actual courts for that. Why he couldn't get someone decent looking and hammy like Phillipousis for the male role is beyond me. The female part would be harder to get, but maybe without too much prodding Serena might have. She wants to act so much it hurts. And when she does it hurts. But maybe that wouldn't have been a good couple. Even Blake and Serena or something. But those other two could not play tennis to save their lives. And seeing Chris and Mac and Carillo in there made it even worse.

At least Dean Paul Martin was a real player when he made Players.

And as scary as she is Myskina likes to pose for pictures, clothed and otherwise, so she prolly would have done it too.

MegacedU
04-05-2005, 06:53 PM
Oh my ... I reallly hope you're not serious about your thoughts about Serena. That would have KILLED the movie. Everyone would get the guys and the girls matches confused.

aj_m2009
04-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Oh my ... I reallly hope you're not serious about your thoughts about Serena. That would have KILLED the movie. Everyone would get the guys and the girls matches confused.

That was really mean. Just because she isn't exactly a girly girl doesn't give you the right to say she looks like a guy, for all we know you could look the exact same way.

MonkeyPox
04-06-2005, 12:10 PM
I just meant that she would be willing to at least be in a movie. She would probably even pay them to let her do it.

On a side note, isn't it funny in retrospect that people made such a big damn drama about Navratilova in the late 80's and Mauresmo and the late 90's about how muscular and big they were and neither of them is like half the size of Serena and no one says a word. I guess that would mean that must have been code for lesbian.

I saw Navratilova at Wimbledon and she was tiny. Short and while very well defined, not big at all. I guess it's just that she was the first one to lift weights or something.

Camilio Pascual
04-06-2005, 01:13 PM

Okay, YOU will get confused, but the rest of us won't.

MegacedU
04-06-2005, 01:44 PM
LOL - Apologies to anyone I may have OFFENDED. Pfft. Those muscles aren't normal for a female. They might be female with a touch of human growth hormone trip but that's certainly not natural.

She IS a girly girl. She comes close the amount of pink I wear. The difference? My clothes FIT me. She just needs to stop the ridiculously tight spandex that-shirt-looks-like-it-would-fit-a-four-year-old look. I never said her facial features look manly per se.

aj_m2009
04-06-2005, 01:47 PM
...I never said her facial features look manly per se.

Then what did you say?

MegacedU
04-06-2005, 01:53 PM
What I said was in reference to her...masculine bodily features.

Show me where I said anything about her face. We'll talk.

aj_m2009
04-06-2005, 02:14 PM
I agree, you didn't say anything about her face, but you also didn't say anything about that. All you said was "Everyone would get the guys and the girls matches confused'. That could mean her face looks like a guys face, her body, etc...Anyway, whatever you meant it still sounded mean whether it was meant to be mean or not.

MonkeyPox
04-06-2005, 02:35 PM
Even at her size, Serena comes across to me as totally drug free. Unlike some other like say Capriati who might as well have been on the posters for it and Henin for that matter who was just about as bad.

Of course the ironic thing is that the only person we know for a fact to have been on steroids (men) was also probably the skinniest, Petr Korda. He got busted for it at least. And Tatum O'Neal said Mac was on it too, but she's not really to be trusted I guess.

MonkeyPox
04-06-2005, 02:35 PM
This thread took some weird turns.

norcal
04-06-2005, 03:23 PM
LOL - Apologies to anyone I may have OFFENDED. Pfft. Those muscles aren't normal for a female. They might be female with a touch of human growth hormone trip but that's certainly not natural.

She IS a girly girl. She comes close the amount of pink I wear. The difference? My clothes FIT me. She just needs to stop the ridiculously tight spandex that-shirt-looks-like-it-would-fit-a-four-year-old look. I never said her facial features look manly per se. Meg, post a pic of your self in the 'your picture' thread. And you can wear rediculously tight spandex for comparison purposes if you like.

Capt. Willie
04-06-2005, 07:29 PM
In an attempt to get this back on subject...I'm sitting here watching ESPN Classic (Cheap Seats) while reading these posts and on comes the advertisement for the sports movies they show on Sunday nights. Among the clips they showed was a movie I had forgotten about...Slapshot. Now I'm not a big hockey guy so I don't know how realistic the hockey scenes and skating were, but that was one funny film. The Hanson brothers (not to be confused with those MMM-Bop kids) ruled! Oh, and I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of Meg.

Phil
04-07-2005, 01:04 AM
I remember an Italian movie, think it was called "The Garden of the Prizzi Contini" or something like that. Had some tennis in it-wooden racquets, 1940's upper class Italian club. No one was hitting any major topspin-just flat, and the kick serves were awful.

Wimbledon-a piece of shiat. But I saw it on the plane, so at least I didn't have to pay
good money for it. Not sure what was worse-Wimbledon or Garfield.

aj_m2009
04-07-2005, 01:26 AM
...Not sure what was worse-Wimbledon or Garfield.

Like I said, I haven't seen Wimbledon so I don't know how good or bad it was but I did get to see Garfield, that movie was just awful. I prefer the cartoon.:)

MegacedU
04-07-2005, 12:35 PM
I'll consider the requests. But is there any assurance I wont end up on a milk carton? I'll think about it.

Kaptain Karl
04-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Meg - Find a pic of you from about 10 courts away ... or you among a bunch of friends (and don't tell who you are). Some of the ... boyz ... on TW are not to be trusted.

- KK

fantom
04-07-2005, 01:26 PM
I boycotted Wimbledon as soon as I saw the first trailer for it. Then I saw a 'making of Wimbledon' piece on the Tennis Channel.......and almost canceled the Tennis Channel for showing it!

How could they let those actors step on those courts DURING the tournament????

HookEmJeff
04-07-2005, 01:53 PM

Hell yeah they could have. If they can make Keanu Reeves do the stuff he did in the Matrix trilogy then surely they can make Kristen Dunst a passable tennis player (pun, NOT intended). Granted, Keanu is considerably more agile than Dunst, and you can't smooth out terrible ball-striking form in movietime. The rallies in that movie were so fake. I guess Kirsten and that other guy did a lot of standing around hitting invisbile balls against a blue screen. I bet Kirsten Dunst has NEVER hit a ball can with her serve.

The only thing I thought was decent about that movie was the inner dialogue when Peter Colt was playing. That's where my most comic moments are on the tennis court, and that's what was decent about that flick. You would NOT want to hear what I was thinking...haha. Some gratuitous nudity would have really enhanced the watchability of that movie, too.

They had the real commentators but no real tennis players. Also, I don't think the father of a big-time No. 1 prospect like Kirsten Dunst was supposed to be in that flick would EVER allow his underage daughter/cash cow to go out and just act like a Mariah Carey ***** wannabe. I think if Maria Sharapova wasn't coming home at night, Yuri would freaking go ape sheeee-yot on somebody. Peter Colt would not have lived to play that Wimbledon final if he tried to get it on with her.

Jeff

equinox
04-09-2005, 06:23 AM
wimbledon, if only for watching kirsten dunst.

Noelle
04-09-2005, 07:34 AM
Wimbledon, if only for the fact that there was no tennis on TV when I watched it on DVD. :) What can I say, I'm also a chick (but I don't necessarily like all chick flicks). I think all the diving Peter Colt/Paul Bettany did was for dramatic effect, but I really wish they'd gotten actors who were already tennis players, instead of trying to turn actors into tennis players. The lead actors had some weird hitches in their serves.

MegacedU
04-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Meg - Find a pic of you from about 10 courts away ... or you among a bunch of friends (and don't tell who you are). Some of the ... boyz ... on TW are not to be trusted.

- KK

Good plan.

gregraven
04-10-2005, 06:18 AM
i saw a movie once on tv i think it was called "The break" anyone seen this? anyone know where i can get it cause I watched it a long time ago when i wasn't interested in tennis and would like to watch it again. couldn't find it in blockbuster...

Yep, I've seen it. Came out in 1995, starring Vince van Patten, among others. Slightly cheesey, but at least it's tennis-centric. Here's the link to information from the IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112574/

goober
04-10-2005, 06:53 AM
. I think all the diving Peter Colt/Paul Bettany did was for dramatic effect, but I really wish they'd gotten actors who were already tennis players, instead of trying to turn actors into tennis players. The lead actors had some weird hitches in their serves.

No that would be a disaster. There are very few athletes that can act. Sure there are some that can do bit parts. But it is far more important to a movie to have good actors to carry a movie. The general public who don't play tennis and makes up the largest viewing audinece won't recognize a bad serve technique. However everybody can recognize bad acting.

aj_m2009
04-10-2005, 01:33 PM
No that would be a disaster. There are very few athletes that can act. Sure there are some that can do bit parts. But it is far more important to a movie to have good actors to carry a movie. The general public who don't play tennis and makes up the largest viewing audinece won't recognize a bad serve technique. However everybody can recognize bad acting.

2 words: acting lessons

goober
04-10-2005, 01:58 PM
2 words: acting lessons

Well if it were that easy- than any former athlete can take some lessons and star in a major hollywood production. Unfortunatley very few ex-athletes have done this. Most of them have been pretty bad that have tried. We are not talking about some two bit commercial for reebok or ESPN. Investing millions of dollars on a movie with some former or current tennis player after giving them some acting lessons makes about as much sense as giving an actor some tennis lessons and banking on them making it on the pro tour.

What they should have done is spent more time with the two stars to make their techniques look better. Since it was all tennis was CGI stuff anyways, it is not like they actually had to hit the ball cleanly. They just had to look like they had decent technique.

aj_m2009
04-10-2005, 02:07 PM
Well if it were that easy- than any former athlete can take some lessons and star in a major hollywood production. Unfortunatley very few ex-athletes have done this. Most of them have been pretty bad that have tried. We are not talking about some two bit commercial for reebok or ESPN. Investing millions of dollars on a movie with some former or current tennis player after giving them some acting lessons makes about as much sense as giving an actor some tennis lessons and banking on them making it on the pro tour.

What they should have done is spent more time with the two stars to make their techniques look better. Since it was all tennis was CGI stuff anyways, it is not like they actually had to hit the ball cleanly. They just had to look like they had decent technique.

Well, there are some players that can act decently. Serena is ok, not great, but not horrendous either. Same for Roddick. If they had a few lessons they wouldn't be to bad.

Noelle
04-10-2005, 08:38 PM
No no no! What I meant was that there may be actors (real actors, not athletes-turned-actors) out there who already play tennis. For instance, any dance movie usually hires actors who already have some dance background. Why couldn't they look for actors who already knew how to play tennis--at least, recreationally?

aj_m2009
04-10-2005, 08:58 PM
No no no! What I meant was that there may be actors (real actors, not athletes-turned-actors) out there who already play tennis. For instance, any dance movie usually hires actors who already have some dance background. Why couldn't they look for actors who already knew how to play tennis--at least, recreationally?

Well, how many actors or actresses can you think of that play tennis? I myself can't really think of any.

Kaptain Karl
04-11-2005, 09:37 AM
Well, there are some players that can act decently. Serena is ok, not great, but not horrendous either. Same for Roddick. If they had a few lessons they wouldn't be to bad.Oh PULEEEZE! Serena cannot act, period. She is HORRIBLE as an actor. (I have acting and directing credentials. Trust me ... she sux.)

Venus is actually a better actor than Serena.

In my opinion, Andy's handlers have managed his "acting" very well. IOW, they've made sure he has very little real acting to do. Keep it brief, and you can pull off the illusion that someone can act.

I'd give Serena an Acting "F-Minus, Minus." I'd give Andy a "C-Minus".

... any dance movie usually hires actors who already have some dance background. Why couldn't they look for actors who already knew how to play tennis--at least, recreationally?Acting is still greatly influenced by the "Studio Actors" of the 40's and 50's. Back then, being an actor meant you could act, sing, dance and play (a few) musical instruments.
I have lost many parts because I could act, dance, play piano ... but not sing. (Actually, it was a musical which propelled me into the Director's Chair.)

Being able to play tennis hasn't been on the list of prerequisites ... ever. There are some actors who "can" play, but the best guy (name escapes me right now) is only about a 3.0.

- KK

aj_m2009
04-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Oh PULEEEZE! Serena cannot act, period. She is HORRIBLE as an actor. (I have acting and directing credentials. Trust me ... she sux.)

Venus is actually a better actor than Serena.

In my opinion, Andy's handlers have managed his "acting" very well. IOW, they've made sure he has very little real acting to do. Keep it brief, and you can pull off the illusion that someone can act.

I'd give Serena an Acting "F-Minus, Minus." I'd give Andy a "C-Minus"...

Serena isn't that bad, you make it sound like a dog could do a better job. And I don't know about Venus, never seen her act.

Kaptain Karl
04-11-2005, 02:43 PM
Serena isn't that bad, you make it sound like a dog could do a better job. Was I not clear enough?

A dog ... a stuffed animal ... a POST can act better than Serena.

aj - To help me better understand your "yard stick" of what makes a good actor, please name the two or three actors (movie or stage) who you think are really good.

- KK

hyperwarrior
04-11-2005, 06:56 PM

I guess they pick ATP players to be stuntmen in the film

aj_m2009
04-11-2005, 07:36 PM
...aj - To help me better understand your "yard stick" of what makes a good actor, please name the two or three actors (movie or stage) who you think are really good.

- KK

Ok, hmmm... Julia Roberts(Motor, whatever), Robin Williams, and Sandra Bullock are all good actors and actresses.

Kaptain Karl
04-12-2005, 09:37 AM
Okay, that helps, aj. Of your three, I'd say Robin is truly great -- though not given the credit he deserves ... Julia is "above average" ... and, until just recently, Sandra hasn't demonstrated enough range to say she's any better than average. (The jury's still out on her, IMO.)

Tom Hanks and Anthony Hopkins are two "Greats" who come immediately to mind.

- KK

ChrisNC
04-12-2005, 10:59 AM
Okay, that helps, aj. Of your three, I'd say Robin is truly great -- though not given the credit he deserves ... Julia is "above average" ... and, until just recently, Sandra hasn't demonstrated enough range to say she's any better than average. (The jury's still out on her, IMO.)

Tom Hanks and Anthony Hopkins are two "Greats" who come immediately to mind.

- KKTotally agree on all 5

Kevin T
04-12-2005, 12:21 PM
Capt. Willie named it on the first page; it's JOCKS!!! No question about it. Classic '80's flick! Long-haired pretty boy, rebel, no practicing, beer-guzzling partier in 80's cut-off sweats wins national collegiate title! C'mon, it was pure Velveeta. I can just see myself watching that flick in my Wilander Tacchini gear and Nike Air Trainers, vintage J Mac. How can you not love those '80's movies. All you need is a new topic, plug it into the '80's movie formula and you've got yourself 90 minutes of entertainment. Second is Mr. Deeds for it's tennis scene. The sight of the guy in the shower after the match is horrific. Everyone, go out and rent Jocks. Actually, you'll never find it. You may have to go a specialty store and order it but it will be worth the time and $$.

Phil, God bless you for having to watch Wimbledon and Garfield in the air. I know you travel a lot, so if you get the chance to watch Lewis Black's HBO special, please do. He has a great bit about flying to New Zealand ("If you get the chance to go to New Zealand...Don't! Instead, sit in a chair in your living room and squeeze your head..."). It's a classic.

axbige
04-14-2005, 01:48 PM
Capt. Willie named it on the first page; it's JOCKS!!! No question about it. Classic '80's flick! Long-haired pretty boy, rebel, no practicing, beer-guzzling partier in 80's cut-off sweats wins national collegiate title!

I can't believe more people haven't seen this movie (JOCKS). It's by far one of the funniest sports comedies.

Phil
04-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Phil, God bless you for having to watch Wimbledon and Garfield in the air. I know you travel a lot, so if you get the chance to watch Lewis Black's HBO special, please do. He has a great bit about flying to New Zealand ("If you get the chance to go to New Zealand...Don't! Instead, sit in a chair in your living room and squeeze your head..."). It's a classic.

That's funny, Kevin-but, NZ isn't all that bad! I'll have to check out that HBO special.

I thought of another decent film tennis scene, in "Taking Care of Business", starring Jim Belushi. Or, maybe I'm getting it mixed up with another film, but anyway...The film's one of those "trading places" deals; Belushi's character is a schlubb, but he finds the filofax of a big ad exec and then impersonates him, attending all of his meetings. In one scene he shows up for a tennis game with a big wig Japanese executive. He's obviously never played tennis before, and he starts swinging the racquet like a baseball bat and BEATS the Japanese bigwig. The big wig's toadies watching court-side are shocked-you NEVER beat your biggest account, but the Big Guy actually shakes Jim's hand and complements him on his game. He was tired of people letting him win-he KNEW this is what they were doing, and he respects this dude who's not afriaid to beat the boss. He signs the contract. Hollywood...hrummmph!

Lancer Tennis
04-20-2005, 08:32 AM
Hello Everyone

I have been reading this thread and am reaching the following conclusions:

Good movies that either feature tennis or include tennis in a sub-plot:

Strangers on a Train
The Royal Tennenbaums
In Good Company
The Garden of Finzi (sp) Continis
The Last Emperor
Players

And the winner is.........

my vote goes to Strangers on A Train. Great Hitchcock thriller in which a leading US Amateur tennis player is stalked by a creep named Guy. The tennis sequences might rate a smile or too, but the suspense factor is still great after all these years.

I have really enjoyed the commentary, even those about "Wimbledon" and the girly qualites of the Williams sisters!

Prestige_Spin
04-21-2005, 08:37 PM
Wimbeldon the movie is making fun of our sport cause that movie is ***. even though kirsten dunst is hot she made fun of us. i say that movie sucks and is the stupidest thing since nadals capris.

MegacedU
04-23-2005, 04:45 PM
Though that was really funny, Prestige, I still must disagree. Plus, when proving your point, not being redunant is key. Wimbeldon was awesome. If you want good tennis, turn on the Tennis Channel. - Even there you might not find it. In which case, you can come find me, and we'll clear that up.