PDA

View Full Version : Maria Sharapova will never win another GS title...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

jamesblakefan#1
08-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Her shoulder just isn't good enough. She's a DF machine right now, just like Coria was before his eventual breakdown. There's more people today capable of handling her one dimensional, mindless ball bashing game plan. She's never been more than that really, but now she's less consistent and thus, less effective. Watching her attempt to come to the net is like a tragic comedy.

And oh yeah, her screeching is worse than ever now that she sucks. The sad thing is, she'll probably make the USO QF b/c all the WTA girls are intimidated by her, when they shouldn't be. Her days of being top 5 are long gone, she'll be lucky to be top 10 again.

Watching her makes me wonder how she ever managed 3 GS titles. Did I leave anything out? At least she looks better in her headband than she did in the visor, that's a plus. :D

grafselesfan
08-08-2009, 10:27 PM
I tend to agree. She will never be the same player she was from 2004-2006 again. November 2007-March 2008 was her last blip of that kind of form you will ever see. I dont care for her and never did, but I do feel for her in a way as injury is a big part of that and that is always a sad thing to see. Then again even without the injury the limitations and one dimensional nature of her game has finally been figured out and is now being exposed, even by the current weak womens field.

JeMar
08-08-2009, 10:30 PM
She did look pretty hot tonight.

I think she can still make some inroads. She's got too much power to not be in the top 5 at least.

Did you see how she's been abusing her opponents' serve this week? If she were to get her serve up to "acceptable," she'd be in tomorrow's final.

grafselesfan
08-08-2009, 10:33 PM
She did look pretty hot tonight.

I think she can still make some inroads. She's got too much power to not be in the top 5 at least.

Did you see how she's been abusing her opponents' serve this week? If she were to get her serve up to "acceptable," she'd be in tomorrow's final.

It is too easy to just say she has too much power to not be in the top 5. Nicole Vaidisova hits the ball even harder than Maria and look where she is now. Yeah she had a chance to win todays match with decent serving but who was her opponent? A marginal top 20ish sort of player who I think has never gone past the round of 16 of a slam, certainly not someone she who will be a big hurdle to a slam title or even a top 10 ranking. Who is to say her serve will get any better? She has had major shoulder injuries linger since the start of 2007 and they are suddenly going to go away when they havent yet. I dont think so.

By the time she gets her act together again, if she ever does (if her shoulder will even allow her to in fact) who is to say the womens field will be as awful as it has been since 2006. It has to improve at some point.

GameSampras
08-08-2009, 10:36 PM
I wouldnt count her out quite yet. Especially in the state the WTA is in today. Venus essentially all washed up is managing success still and she is nowhere near the level she was long ago. Serena is far passed her prime, dedicating herself to the game a minute quantity of the time, and shes dominating at the slams. Im sure Sharapova can interject herself somewheres in the fold.

I mean even Davenport came back.. Clijsters came back. Im just waiting for Henin.. All of these players who seemed to have retired are coming back.. Why? Well the opportunity is open there for anyone now.. Even a player who has been out for quite some time with injuries.. But Maria still has a slam. I wouldnt count a slam winner in today's pathetic WTA

zagor
08-08-2009, 10:39 PM
If her shoulder doesn't get better at some point in the future you might be right.She needs to serve well to be able to win big titles,right now she's not able to do that.

JeMar
08-08-2009, 10:40 PM
It is too easy to just say she has too much power to not be in the top 5. Nicole Vaidisova hits the ball even harder than Maria and look where she is now. Yeah she had a chance to win todays match with decent serving but who was her opponent? A marginal top 20ish sort of player who I think has never gone past the round of 16 of a slam, certainly not someone she who will be a big hurdle to a slam title or even a top 10 ranking. Who is to say her serve will get any better? She has had major shoulder injuries linger since the start of 2007 and they are suddenly going to go away when they havent yet. I dont think so.

By the time she gets her act together again, if she ever does (if her shoulder will even allow her to in fact) who is to say the womens field will be as awful as it has been since 2006. It has to improve at some point.

Nicole Vaidisova did hit the ball hard, but she was also an even worse mover than Maria.

It's not all about the power, though. The women's game is in such a bad state right now that just believing you can win puts you near the top of the game. There's a reason why Serena can take two months off between slams and still win them, and talent's only a part of it. She's got the will power and belief that she can take the game's biggest tournaments while overweight and out of shape. Sharapova has that same kind of confidence and even tonight, as she struggled, you could tell that she still thought she could leave with that match in hand. That's pretty amazing considering that she was so shaky on serve.

jamesblakefan#1
08-08-2009, 10:42 PM
I wouldnt count her out quite yet. Especially in the state the WTA is in today. Venus essentially all washed up is managing success still and she is nowhere near the level she was long ago. Serena is far passed her prime, dedicating herself to the game a minute quantity of the time, and shes dominating at the slams. Im sure Sharapova can interject herself somewheres in the fold.

I mean even Davenport came back.. Clijsters came back. Im just waiting for Henin.. All of these players who seemed to have retired are coming back.. Why? Well the opportunity is open there for anyone now.. Even a player who has been out for quite some time with injuries.. But Maria still has a slam. I wouldnt count a slam winner in today's pathetic WTA

I would count this one out. I don't think she can beat Venus or Serena, did you see the whooping Venus gave her last wk?

Safina I'd say is better than her...she is #1 after all. :D

I get what you're saying a/b people coming back and having success-even Dokic made the AO QF. I don't think Maria's serve will hold up enough over 7 matches to allow her to be the same player that was able to win 3 slams. You still see flashes, but overall her game isn't as consistent as it used to be...she'll struggle even in the early rounds of slams b/c of her serve, and be too out of gas to step it up in the later stages of slams.

NotSoSuper
08-08-2009, 10:46 PM
I think its still a little early to tell.. Its clear right now that with her current form she most likely wont win a slam again..

But shes only 22 and id give her the rest of the year to return to form, and id expect her to return to the top 10 next year..

grafrules
08-08-2009, 10:49 PM
I have to agree with GameSampras and JerMar here. The womens field today is so PATHETIC that any slam winner, let alone a 3 time slam winner who beat closer to prime Serena and prime Henin in slam finals, cant ever be totally discounted. The field is just far too dreadful to count out someone with those credentials, no matter how much things seem against her now.

krprunitennis2
08-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Maybe she'll win the French in 2010. Haha

Wimby 2004? USO 2006? AUSO 2008?

Maybe it's an even year thing. And the order... :]

pmata814
08-08-2009, 11:23 PM
..... The sad thing is, she'll probably make the USO QF b/c all the WTA girls are intimidated by her, when they shouldn't be. .....

They're not intimidated... they just suck as much or more. The WTA has been unwatchable for a while now.

grafselesfan
08-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Safina I'd say is better than her...she is #1 after all. :D

Maria of 2004-2006 would pound the snot out of Safina on anything but clay where Safina might struggle to a win in 3 sets much of the time. Safina just isnt any good, you are one of the only ones who doesnt seem to realize this. I even remember you saying before the French that Safina with her "new" game would be bullying Henin around the court today and accused all those who didnt agree with it as being Henin worshippers who treated her like a god, LOL!

Maria's biggest problem is her chronic shoulder. I dont like her, I think she is a vastly overrated and overmarketed player and I dont consider her at all in the league of Serena, Henin, or Venus. I also dont consider her level of tennis as high as even Davenport who retired with only 3 slam singles titles. However had it not been for her chronic shoulder she would still be more of a threat than the bumbling Safina for slam titles, and if she were willing to play enough tournaments would be the artificial #1 of today on the flawed computer rankings in place of Safina.

Yes Safina is better than Maria right now, but had it not been for Maria's chronically bad shoulder she would not have been, probably ever. Career wise Safina will never achieve what Maria already has even if Maria retires tommorow, and Maria achieved a bit of hers back when there was some semblance of competition and a decent womens field in the game. I cant believe you forced me to defend Maria, LOL!

flying24
08-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Her shoulder just isn't good enough. She's a DF machine right now, just like Coria was before his eventual breakdown. There's more people today capable of handling her one dimensional, mindless ball bashing game plan. She's never been more than that really, but now she's less consistent and thus, less effective. Watching her attempt to come to the net is like a tragic comedy.

And oh yeah, her screeching is worse than ever now that she sucks. The sad thing is, she'll probably make the USO QF b/c all the WTA girls are intimidated by her, when they shouldn't be. Her days of being top 5 are long gone, she'll be lucky to be top 10 again.

Watching her makes me wonder how she ever managed 3 GS titles. Did I leave anything out? At least she looks better in her headband than she did in the visor, that's a plus. :D

By many of your little potshots interspersed with some of your somewhat reasonable points it is clear you dont like Maria and are biased against her in the first place. Thus it is hard to take you seriously on this one.

jamesblakefan#1
08-08-2009, 11:56 PM
Maria of 2004-2006 would pound the snot out of Safina on anything but clay where Safina might struggle to a win in 3 sets much of the time. Safina just isnt any good, you are one of the only ones who doesnt seem to realize this. I even remember you saying before the French that Safina with her "new" game would be bullying Henin around the court today and accused all those who didnt agree with it as being Henin worshippers who treated her like a god, LOL!

Maria's biggest problem is her chronic shoulder. I dont like her, I think she is a vastly overrated and overmarketed player and I dont consider her at all in the league of Serena, Henin, or Venus. I also dont consider her level of tennis as high as even Davenport who retired with only 3 slam singles titles. However had it not been for her chronic shoulder she would still be more of a threat than the bumbling Safina for slam titles, and if she were willing to play enough tournaments would be the artificial #1 of today on the flawed computer rankings in place of Safina.

Yes Safina is better than Maria right now, but had it not been for Maria's chronically bad shoulder she would not have been, probably ever. Career wise Safina will never achieve what Maria already has even if Maria retires tommorow, and Maria achieved a bit of hers back when there was some semblance of competition and a decent womens field in the game. I cant believe you forced me to defend Maria, LOL!

I was talking about right now, and right now, yes, Safina is better than Sharapova due to Sharapova's shoulder and ineffective serving displays in every match.

All your other potshots and filler doesn't matter to me...I admitted I was wrong a/b Safina @ the FO, ok? Does that make you happy? Did I just make your day?

Who knows if Safina will get 3 slams or not. She's still got a long career ahead of her, IMO. At least 2-3 more yrs of top 10 tennis if she keeps her head together.

"Maria 2004-2006 would beat the snot out of Safina on anything but clay"

Safina did beat Sharapova when she was #1 in 2005 on Carpet.

2005 MOSCOW CARPET Q D.SAFINA 1-6 6-4 7-5

h2h overall is 3-3.

Andy G
08-09-2009, 12:06 AM
who cares? she was never a dominant player anyway. her popularity came from her looks. she was good enough to win 3 majors. i would rather see her retire to modelling and get Henin back. Henin was a great player, she probably could beat a lot of the mens players.

grafselesfan
08-09-2009, 12:14 AM
Who knows if Safina will get 3 slams or not.

Yeah just like who knows if Nadal will get 10 U.S Opens or not. He has a better shot of it than Talentlessina winning 3 slams.

She's still got a long career ahead of her, IMO. At least 2-3 more yrs of top 10 tennis if she keeps her head together.

Keeps her head together, like it was ever there in the first place, LOL!

Safina did beat Sharapova when she was #1 in 2005 on Carpet.

2005 MOSCOW CARPET Q D.SAFINA 1-6 6-4 7-5

A total fluke, just like Safina's fluke win over Henin on clay you love to milk for all its worth. Fact is Safina very barely won her 2 matches on CLAY with Maria, Safina's best surface by far and Maria's worst by an enormous margin.

h2h overall is 3-3.

Read above.

jamesblakefan#1
08-09-2009, 12:16 AM
who cares? she was never a dominant player anyway. her popularity came from her looks. she was good enough to win 3 majors. i would rather see her retire to modelling and get Henin back. Henin was a great player, she probably could beat a lot of the mens players.

Let's not go overboard now. Henin was great, but she'd get double bagled by every men's player ranked in the top 1000. She's just not powerful enough to hang w/ any man, her power wasn't her strength..

jamesblakefan#1
08-09-2009, 12:19 AM
Yeah just like who knows if Nadal will get 10 U.S Opens or not. He has a better shot of it than Talentlessina winning 3 slams.

Keeps her head together, like it was ever there in the first place, LOL!
A total fluke, just like Safina's fluke win over Henin on clay you love to milk for all its worth. Fact is Safina very barely won her 2 matches on CLAY with Maria, Safina's best surface by far and Maria's worst by an enormous margin.

Read above.

Blah blah blah....I just gonna say what flying24 said to me to you. By many of your little potshots you fancy so much, interspersed with some of your somewhat reasonable points it is clear you dont like Safina at all and are biased against her in the first place. Thus it is hard to take you seriously on this one.

We'll see how Safina pans out. I think she has at least a slam in her, you obviously beg to differ. We'll see.

Andy G
08-09-2009, 12:25 AM
Let's not go overboard now. Henin was great, but she'd get double bagled by every men's player ranked in the top 1000. She's just not powerful enough to hang w/ any man, her power wasn't her strength..

ok, perhaps i over reacted, but i would still switch players

grafselesfan
08-09-2009, 12:25 AM
her power wasn't her strength..

Yes Henin's power wasnt a strength at all. That is why she regularly outpounded some of the famed big babes like Davenport and Capriati, even pre-prime Henin slugging peak Capriati off the court with vicious backhands on her worst surface in the 01 Wimbledon semis. That is why in all 4 of her 2007 matches with Serena she hit more clean winners than Serena, and in their U.S Open match on lightning fast hard court almost doubled Serena in winners- 30 to 17. I suppose she did all that just with finesse. :roll: Anytime you open your mouth about Henin it is sure to be comical. I hope your little dog she must have kicked someday is better now.

grafselesfan
08-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Blah blah blah....I just gonna say what flying24 said to me to you. By many of your little potshots you fancy so much, interspersed with some of your somewhat reasonable points it is clear you dont like Safina at all and are biased against her in the first place. Thus it is hard to take you seriously on this one.

We'll see how Safina pans out. I think she has at least a slam in her, you obviously beg to differ. We'll see.

I have been consistent on my views of Safina ever since she became noteable enough to even be worth talking about last spring. So far she has done nothing to prove me wrong. I said she is a talentless mediocrity who wouldnt even be in the top 20 if she wasnt playing in the worst womes field ever, and yet even in the worst womens field ever wont ever win anything big. She continues to prove me right, and while she keeps making semis and finals she is further and further away from actually winning them each time out it seems. I also continue to predict everytime she reaches a big stage match she will self fall to pieces and she continues to prove me right there too. I continue to predict she will get destroyed everytime out by a Williams on a non clay surface and on that too she continues to prove me righ.

Why would I reconsider any of my views on her. She has never given me any reason to pause and think I might be wrong. She only continues to validate my always held views on her.

jamesblakefan#1
08-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Yes Henin's power wasnt a strength at all. That is why she regularly outpounded some of the famed big babes like Davenport and Capriati, even pre-prime Henin slugging peak Capriati off the court with vicious backhands on her worst surface in the 01 Wimbledon semis. That is why in all 4 of her 2007 matches with Serena she hit more clean winners than Serena, and in their U.S Open match on lightning fast hard court almost doubled Serena in winners- 30 to 17. I suppose she did all that just with finesse. :roll: Anytime you open your mouth about Henin it is sure to be comical. I hope your little dog she must have kicked someday is better now.

Her variety was her strength and what separated her from the field. Her serve alone would get eaten up by any remedial men's player. And you attack me for that? Gosh, get over your self and get off of the high horse. You just sound like a self righteous jerk in most of your posts, it's such a pain having reasonable conversations w/ someone so...arrogant. :roll:

There were also plenty of times where she got flat out overpowered by the WS and Sharapova, heck even Bartoli overpowered her at Wimbledon.

I was just making the pt that her strength wouldn't stand up in the men's game, and you ostracize me? Stop acting like the Bud Collins of TTW, really.

grafselesfan
08-09-2009, 12:47 AM
Her variety was her strength and what separated her from the field. Her serve alone would get eaten up by any remedial men's player. And you attack me for that? Gosh, get over your self and get off of the high horse. You just sound like a self righteous jerk in most of your posts, it's such a pain having reasonable conversations w/ someone so...arrogant. :roll:

There were also plenty of times where she got flat out overpowered by the WS and Sharapova, heck even Bartoli overpowered her at Wimbledon.

I was just making the pt that her strength wouldn't stand up in the men's game, and you ostracize me? Stop acting like the Bud Collins of TTW, really.

Yes you hit all those winners past the power hitters, and consistently most times outwinner the power hitters just with "variety". That is why Martina Hingis (who has more variety than Henin) did so well hitting winners vs the power hitters right, LOL!

Your hyperbolic diversions again? To be expected, just like your "Henin isnt a god, everyone is saying Henin is a god" rants when people lamented the current lame *** womens field missing someone of her caliber even as an out of shape/far past her former best Serena dominates with no competition, Venus shows little outside of Wimbledon, and the rest of the tour of hacks continue to hack it up. So you cant debate my comment properly without hyperbole so you resort to I must think I am the Bud Collins of TTW and name calling. Classic.

Bartoli did not overpower Henin at Wimbledon. Henin blew the match with a pathetic choke and a horde of unforced errors and double faults. Again you use a flukish result to try and prove your point. Perhaps one should argue 30 year old journeywomen with soft groundstrokes and serves, who used to be NCAA or junior stars long time ago, are tough matchups for Serena on grass because Jill Craybas showed this. The next time Henin and Bartoli played Henin hit 30 winners to Bartoli's 2 on a lightning indoor court, so who is generally going to be badly overpowered in that matchup.

Sharapova has overpowered Henin in only 2 of their 9 matches (the Miami match Henin lost due to errors and rustiness in one of her first matches back from injury), and in those 2 tournaments she was in unstoppable form and would have, and did, beat anyone she played. Venus has played prime Henin (April 2003 onwards) only once and she certainly didnt overpower her in that match, in fact she didnt even win a set. The last match Serena overpowered Henin was way back in Wimbledon 2003. The Miami 2008 match was more about Henin's inability to keep the ball in court than anything else. Their only recent match where either badly overpowered the other was Henin blasting Serena off the court in their U.S Open match on fast hard courts. Their other 4 matches it was mostly who was more consistent and mentally tougher.

jamesblakefan#1
08-09-2009, 12:52 AM
I just don't like how you talk down to people, as if you're the be all and end all of the history of tennis. Like you're the tennis encyclopedia or something. :roll:

That's where the Bud Collins thing came from. The overall tone of your posts come off as arrogant, and the "I'm always right" attitude you have really isn't what people like. I'm not the only one to notice it...the "holier than thou" act you play in the Fed/Pete debates grinds a lot of people's gears as well.

You feel one way, I feel another. Agree to disagree. But don't act as if your opinion is the only one that can be right, ok?

maximo
08-09-2009, 05:22 AM
HAHA

Sharapova's garbage. She made 61 UE's and lost to WHO??

She's still very pretty nontheless. :D

Cyan
08-09-2009, 06:12 AM
This is sad.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-09-2009, 06:26 AM

I fully agree, today she lost against Penetta, had 16!! (yes its true) doublefaults in 13 service-games...and this a woman who is a multi millionaire due to her tennis (at first at least,then came all the advertising etc). Pathetic!!

tintin
08-09-2009, 07:50 AM
it would be a great idea for Sharapova to work on her net game now that she is having trouble with her serve.I would try to sneak in as often as possible the rest of the season even if it means losing matches along the way.

that would really give her plan B and that put a lot less pressure on her shoulder
can she win majors again.absolutely:)

Serendipitous
08-09-2009, 08:02 AM
This is sad.

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

krprunitennis2
08-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Didn't Sharapova play like three matches in a row? Each night?

boredone3456
08-09-2009, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't rush to count her out. The injury is still reaping its head, but she is still relatively young and can turn it around if she rehabs her shoulder properly this time around. 2 years ago I would have said Kuznetsova would never win another slam (Heck I questioned her ability to even win a tier I title) and she won this years French Open. Anything is possible, Sharapova is talented and what she did at the 2008 australian open is still lurking in her...whether she gets to the point where her body allows it to come out again....only time will tell.

flying24
08-09-2009, 12:41 PM
You cant count out a girl who is only 22, who already has 3 slams, and is playing in the worst womens field in history. That is like saying you know she will never get healthy or improve her current form again, even with many years to possibly do it, and that the field is certain to improve much from what it is now in the coming years. I am no Maria fan but I would actually be surprised if she didnt win atleast 2 more slams to reach atleast 5. She will be lucky as heck to play in the era she plays in, especialy as she might well match her 2004-2006 form where she won 2 slams and had many times contending vs a very tough and much tougher field.

Lionheart392
08-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Never say never... she did manage to reach the QF of the French Open this year on a surface which she admits herself she sucks on, despite playing nowhere near her best and being defeated by notorious loser Alona Bondarenko not long before. Anything can happen in the WTA at the moment. Still she's probably done.

drwood
08-09-2009, 04:22 PM
I have to agree with GameSampras and JerMar here. The womens field today is so PATHETIC that any slam winner, let alone a 3 time slam winner who beat closer to prime Serena and prime Henin in slam finals, cant ever be totally discounted. The field is just far too dreadful to count out someone with those credentials, no matter how much things seem against her now.

She made the QF of the French this year -- on her worst surface. She'll be back.

darthpwner
08-09-2009, 04:24 PM
Maybe she'll win the French in 2010. Haha

Wimby 2004? USO 2006? AUSO 2008?

Maybe it's an even year thing. And the order... :]

agreed... hopefully she recovers and plays great tennis again

Emelia21
08-09-2009, 04:31 PM

Her forehand was crap :twisted:

UsualSuspect
08-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Sharapova is talented IMO. However if she doesnt get her shoulder problem out of the way, she will never win another slam.

Bud
08-09-2009, 07:39 PM

I disagree... she went through something similar before winning the AO. She'll be back with a vengeance... I see her winning another 2-3 slams before all's said and done.

ubermeyer
08-09-2009, 07:53 PM

She was talented. She may be fading out of her prime, but may make a comeback, who knows?

She looks better in the visor.

egn
08-10-2009, 12:15 AM
As long as she does not run into one of the chokers prior to the semifinals she is good.

If it is anyone outside of Serena in the top 10 vs. Maria in an early round my vote goes to the top 10 person...if it is a qf and up Maria gets it. Maria needs to hope in the US Open Safina does what she does as of late comes out in the early rounds and actually plays and can knock of Serena..Maria survives her draw and avoids the other william, stosur, azarenka and some random other player on a good streak and then meets Safina in the final. Sharapova's shoulder could tear, break and self combust but Safina will start crying...go WHY AM I SUCH A CHICKEN and give her the match. Probably after being up 6-0, 5-0, 40-love..as Sharapova is unable to move her arm. Safina will then fault every serve and hit every return of serve to New Jersey.

Terr
08-10-2009, 07:59 AM
I really really hope that won't be the case. I really loved to watch Sharapova play back in her early pro days. It's tragic to see her in the condition she's in now.

jamesblakefan#1
09-06-2009, 07:44 AM
Sharapova goes down early in the Open to Oudin. Her serve really is an embarassment, appears her shoulder is irreparapbly damaged from the wear and tear of that awful service motion. She'll never make another slam final, let alone win one due to her god awful serve.

JoelDali
09-06-2009, 08:25 AM
I'm sure you won't win another either.

DarthFed
09-06-2009, 08:30 AM
At least she has something to fall back on..she's pretty she can be a model :)

David_Is_Right
09-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Sharapova's chances of winning another slam ≫ Blake's chances of winning his first slam

AllDownTheLine
09-06-2009, 09:05 AM
I am sorry to see her loose. I have been a fan since I saw her up close a few years ago at an Andy Roddick Foundation doubles match with Maria, Roddick, Blake and anothe female pro in her late 20's, blonde, big and with a knee brace. This was played in Boca Raton, Florida in front of about 1,000 people.I can't remember the woman's name but I remember feeling bad for her after the match. The was a line crazy dunb***** fans 4 miles long in 102 degree heat waiting for Maria's autograph and the woman pro was just standing there alone for about 20 awkward minutes as people walked past her. It took me a hour and a half to finally get Maria's autograph.
Maria was funny, beautiful, gracious, and tall. She played great and joked around on the court with Roddick. Not my thing but the crowd was digging it.
She was dressed in tiny micro shorts and a tiny Nike T shirt that hugged her body. I remembered that best but there were two other things I got from that day.
1) Roddick had amazing control. I was suprised at the deft touch around the court that he was able to display. Admittingly he wasn't playing all out tennis during this friendly exhibition match but that's what was so great. The rallies were purposely long and fun to watch and I truly saw much better hands on Roddick than Blake.
2) Maria has strong solid powerful ground strokes. That is what I saw.
Her groundstrokes were so smooth and powerfull. I was stunned equally at her ability to volly cripsly and accurately.
I think that at 22 years old she still has a small window to be number 1 but it's all about the shoulder and serve. If she can ever learn to serve her entire game would rise to a level that would dominate the weak field in the WTA. She needs to fix her serve as it acts as an anchor weighing down her entire game.

grafselesfan
09-06-2009, 11:26 AM
I am no Maria fan but outside her serve her game looks like it is coming back together. She is still an incredible fighter. If she can get her serve back I wouldnt put it past her to be in more slam finals and even win more given the weak current womens field, especialy once Serena reaches the point she more ages out of her prime. She is only 22 for crying out loud. I can see why some think she has been an overhyped player by some but she has still proven she can win. She isnt Safina, demented one, or Jankovic who are older than her and all have proven nothing but their inability to never win. Unless the womens field improves and if she gets her serve back which she has plenty of time to do, she will win more slams.

Cindysphinx
09-06-2009, 11:41 AM
It's hard to say. If her problem is that her shoulder actually hurts, then she is likely done. I mean, surgeries do fail. Perhaps hers just didn't fix things well enough.

If she is serving badly just due to timing, then of course there is hope for her.

Do you think her calling the trainer was just gamesmanship? I think it was.

zagor
09-06-2009, 11:45 AM
I am no Maria fan but outside her serve her game looks like it is coming back together. She is still an incredible fighter. If she can get her serve back I wouldnt put it past her to be in more slam finals and even win more given the weak current womens field, especialy once Serena reaches the point she more ages out of her prime. She is only 22 for crying out loud. I can see why some think she has been an overhyped player by some but she has still proven she can win. She isnt Safina, demented one, or Jankovic who are older than her and all have proven nothing but their inability to never win. Unless the womens field improves and if she gets her serve back which she has plenty of time to do, she will win more slams.

I'm not that big fan of Maria and her one dimensional game(I think she's hot though)but she's a fighter,one of the few mentally tough players in WTA at the moment so I hope she gets back to her 2008 AO level and contend for slams again.

wyutani
09-06-2009, 11:48 AM
maybe she can win at least 2 more, but not RG.

grafselesfan
09-06-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm not that big fan of Maria and her one dimensional game(I think she's hot though)but she's a fighter,one of the few mentally tough players in WTA at the moment so I hope she gets back to her 2008 AO level and contend for slams again.

She is a 22 year old 3-slam winner who has only been back a few months from a long shoulder injury layoff. She has been showing noticeable improvements in her form the last few weeks. She has a long ways to go still, especialy with her serve. However to already write off a 22 year old girl with THREE slam titles who is attempting a comeback from injury, whiel we are amongst what is the worst overall field in womens tennis history, and the games greatest player turning 28 in a couple months, is incredibly short sighted. However not surprising given the source of this thread.

Cindysphinx
09-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Seriously, I started to wonder if she should just serve underhand.

grafselesfan
09-06-2009, 11:49 AM
maybe she can win at least 2 more, but not RG.

That I agree with. She will never win the French barring a miracle or huge surprise.

zagor
09-06-2009, 11:52 AM
She is a 22 year old 3-slam winner who has only been back a few months from a long shoulder injury layoff. She has been showing noticeable improvements in her form the last few weeks. She has a long ways to go still, especialy with her serve. However to already write off a 22 year old girl with THREE slam titles who is attempting a comeback from injury, whiel we are amongst what is the worst overall field in womens tennis history, and the games greatest player turning 28 in a couple months, is incredibly short sighted. However not surprising given the source of this thread.

I actually think she played well off the ground against Odin(who is playing some great tennis at USO this year,great FH)but her serve is in terrible shape right now(she made 22 DBFs and the match was still very close until the very end),not surprising given her recent shoulder injury.If she somehow gets her serve back to somewhat decent level she'll be a contender again IMO(not on clay,she moves horribly on that surface).

grafselesfan
09-06-2009, 11:53 AM
I actually think she played well off the ground against Odin(who is playing some great tennis at USO this year,great FH)but her serve is in terrible shape right now(she made 22 DBFs and the match was still very close until the very end),not surprising given her recent shoulder injury.If she somehow gets her serve back to somewhat decent level she'll be a contender again IMO(not on clay,she moves horribly on that surface).

Exactly. Her serve is much worse than even Dementieva's right now and she still came much closer to beating Oudin than Dementieva was able to.

Fedace
09-06-2009, 11:53 AM

It is ok, as long as she keeps doing that Swimsuit photoshoots.....that is all that counts..:)

jamesblakefan#1
09-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Sharapova's chances of winning another slam ≫ Blake's chances of winning his first slam

Kick rocks.

jamesblakefan#1
09-06-2009, 02:07 PM
How long is the shoulder going to be an excuse? She's had shoulder problems for 3 years now, off and on. Eventually you have to admit her shoulder will probably never get fully back to 100%, or even 90% of what it used to be.

Emelia21
09-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Sharapova will win another slam as long as Dinara Safina is in the final :cry:

luckyboy1300
09-06-2009, 03:14 PM
if the pattern continues masha is due to win FO 2010.

stanfordtennis alum
09-06-2009, 03:18 PM
she will win another GS... she is till young!

jamesblakefan#1
09-06-2009, 05:57 PM
if the pattern continues masha is due to win FO 2010.

Hahahah. I guess both her and Roddick that year? :lol:

jamesblakefan#1
11-27-2009, 10:04 AM
I still stand by this assessment; now with Henin returning, I think it will be even harder for Sharapova to win a slam. She's just not consistent enough.

grafselesfan
11-27-2009, 10:21 AM
I still stand by this assessment; now with Henin returning, I think it will be even harder for Sharapova to win a slam. She's just not consistent enough.

and like all your other predictions this one will be wrong too. What does Henin have to do with anything according to your constantly rehashed logic anyway. You have already dismissed Henin winning anything outside the French (which will be yet another of your failed claims) and that is the slam Maria was never going to win anyway, thus by your constantly repeated stance Henin would be of no relevance to Maria winning or not winning another slam anyway.

jamesblakefan#1
11-27-2009, 10:30 AM
and like all your other predictions this one will be wrong too. What does Henin have to do with anything according to your constantly rehashed logic anyway. You have already dismissed Henin winning anything outside the French (which will be yet another of your failed claims) and that is the slam Maria was never going to win anyway, thus by your constantly repeated stance Henin would be of no relevance to Maria winning or not winning another slam anyway.

Tell me why Sharapova will win a slam. No need for meaningless personal attacks and gibberish.

You started a thread yesterday w/ the slam winners of 2010, and Sharapova was not among them. In fact you only picked Henin to definitvely win the French, with her as 2nd favorite behind Serena at the USO. So tell me again how is my prediction such an epic failure, when you yourself don't have Sharapova winning a slam next year, and only have Henin favored to win the FO, which I do as well?

grafselesfan
11-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Tell me why Sharapova will win a slam. No need for meaningless personal attacks and gibberish.

You started a thread yesterday w/ the slam winners of 2010, and Sharapova was not among them. In fact you only picked Henin to definitvely win the French, with her as 2nd favorite behind Serena at the USO. So tell me again how is my prediction such an epic failure, when you yourself don't have Sharapova winning a slam next year, and only have Henin favored to win the FO, which I do as well?

In case you havent noticed Maria has been steadily improving in her comeback. She made a tier 1 final, despite serving horrendously came closer to beating Oudin than Dementieva or Petrova did, and won a tournament this fall in a decent field. Serena, Henin, and even Clijsters are all much older than she is. Even if she doesnt win a slam next year it is pretty much a foregone conclusion she will at some point win more slams given her talent level and determination, and the lack of viable alternatives. It is doubtful whether Safina, Jankovic, or even the still unproven up and comers can ever win a slam.

I picked the U.S Open as either Henin or Serena so I gave them equal chances. I dont know if Henin will win a slam outside the French next year since she probably wont be ready to win the Australian, probably wont win Wimbledon with both Williams still near their best on grass up until next year atleast (even if Venus nowhere else), and while she has a chance at the U.S Open the competition there will be tough. However I cant imagine her not winning a non French at some point in her comeback, even if not neccessarily next year.

jamesblakefan#1
11-27-2009, 10:35 AM
I also stated that Wozniacki and Azarenka were both younger players on the rise who had potential to win slams in the future. This was during the summer. You derided me and called me the usual (clown, joke, etc.) Yet when Wozniacki makes the USO final, I get no credit. Funny to see you listed both of them as slam contenders for next year. Yet I'm always such an epic failure with my predictions...:rolleyes:

And don't bring up the Safina predictions, which I've already admitted to being wrong about (and proved you wrong in doing so).

jamesblakefan#1
11-27-2009, 10:40 AM
In case you havent noticed Maria has been steadily improving in her comeback. She made a tier 1 final, despite serving horrendously came closer to beating Oudin than Dementieva or Petrova did, and won a tournament this fall in a decent field. Serena, Henin, and even Clijsters are all much older than she is. Even if she doesnt win a slam next year it is pretty much a foregone conclusion she will at some point win more slams given her talent level and determination, and the lack of viable alternatives. It is doubtful whether Safina, Jankovic, or even the still unproven up and comers can ever win a slam.

I picked the U.S Open as either Henin or Serena so I gave them equal chances. I dont know if Henin will win a slam outside the French next year since she probably wont be ready to win the Australian, probably wont win Wimbledon with both Williams still near their best on grass up until next year atleast (even if Venus nowhere else), and while she has a chance at the U.S Open the competition there will be tough. However I cant imagine her not winning a non French at some point in her comeback, even if not neccessarily next year.

So you admit I'm probably right? I said next year Henin will win the French and nothing else, you pretty much agree with me, just don't have the balls to say so.

And as for Sharapova's talent, she's no more of a one dimensional ball basher than Safina and Dementieva and co who you derride so much. True she's strong mentally, which is an asset in the women's game, but once she runs into a real player (i.e. WS, Clijsters, Henin, heck even Dementieva crushed her in Canada, Pennetta crushed her in LA) her serve falls apart, and her 1D ball bashing game isn't good enough anymore.

LiveForever
11-27-2009, 10:49 AM
So you admit I'm probably right? I said next year Henin will win the French and nothing else, you pretty much agree with me, just don't have the balls to say so.

And as for Sharapova's talent, she's no more of a one dimensional ball basher than Safina and Dementieva and co who you derride so much. True she's strong mentally, which is an asset in the women's game, but once she runs into a real player (i.e. WS, Clijsters, Henin, heck even Dementieva crushed her in Canada, Pennetta crushed her in LA) her serve falls apart, and her 1D ball bashing game isn't good enough anymore.
LOL. Sharapova is a much much better player than Safina and Dementieva. She isnt a pathetic choker on big moments and she has beaten those "real players" many times in big tournaments. She wasnt afraid to step up and beat Serena and Henin in big moments in her career. She has a great chance to win once again. You are giving us lame examples of her recent poor form. Everyone knows she is still trying to find her way back to the top

RelentlessAttack
11-27-2009, 10:50 AM
If she can become more consistent with her serve, I think she has the mental strength to win another slam. There's a general lack of mental strength and dedication it seems on the women's tour unfortunately.

grafselesfan
11-27-2009, 10:50 AM

You have said Henin wont ever win a slam outside the French ever again. I am not saying she "might" (I didnt say wouldnt) win a slam outside the French next year. There is a difference between the two. Anyway my hunch is that Henin will win 2 slams next year, I am not entirely sure which the 2nd one will be.

Wozniacki and Azarenka could win a slam one day but there are 4 slams every year. Safe to say they are not ever going to be the stupendous forces that would not leave other slams that need to be one by someone once the older Serena, Henin, Venus, and Clijsters are done winning slams other than maybe the odd one for one of them. Who is more likely than Maria to win slams at that point? Certainly not Safina, Jankovic, Azarenka, Wozniacki, or anyone else I can think of now.

You have to keep in mind that Maria was away from the game for almost a whole year with a major shoulder injury she had to have surgery on twice. Of course she is not instantly going to be back at her best, it would be foolish to expect so. The key is that in the latter part of the year she gradually got better, and gives strong indication with more time she could be back at her best. Her serve isnt back yet, but that is something that could be rectified with time. I dont see how anyone can say her ball bashing wont be good enough to win anything big anymore, nearly all the top players outside the Williams and Belgians to some degree, are one dimensional ball bashers today. The weakness of the womens game has already been well documented, Maria at her best woud certainly be in the mix to win slams, if not next year at some point. Given her age she could easily play another 6 or more years, so it is not like she has to be favorite to win any particular slam any year to even win another 2 or 3 slams.

Yes Maria is a ball basher. While she is very talented, she also isnt an amazing talent at the Serena or Henin level. She is a very hard worker and very determined, and when healthy maxes out her talent. However she does have one skill that many of these other dont. She actually knows how to win, as her 3 slams including big defeats of more talented greats like Serena and Henin to do so proves. Safina, Dementieva, and Jankovic in their times near the top have proven only their inability not to win. Kuznetsova has been able to stumble her way to big win on a couple occasions, but is still a big underachiver who hasnt really proved her mettle vs the very best. It is too soon to tell on Azarenka or Wozniacki, but as I said neither look like some world beater, even if one or both manage to win a slam. Same goes for Oudin or Lisicki. Radwanksa forget her ever winning anything big with her 40 mph second serve.

I know you are a Safina fan but like it or not Maria is both more talented and far mentally tougher than her, in addition to probably being just as hard a worker as the extremely hard working Safina. If she stays healthy there is no reason she wouldnt cruise back past her. There is a reason Safina is older than Maria and relative to Maria has done squat with her career, particularly until the last year or two when the womens game has fallen apart with people like Henin, Clijsters, Maria, having their problems and not only aided Serena's return to dominance as the haters keep reminding, but resulted in such baffling occurences as Safina's rise to the top.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Sharapova is as talented as my left ball.
The only thing she is capable off is pounding away with all shes got and hope for it to get in! She cant serve (10-20 df/match) she cant volley (few women can) if her opponent is slicing a short ball she runs to it -pounds away with all shes got and screams so that the people living 10 miles from the Stadium can hear her. And her dad has got to be the weirdest guy in the world, yelling vamos from the stands!? Wut!? :shock::shock:

LiveForever
11-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Sharapova is as talented as my left ball.
The only thing she is capable off is pounding away with all shes got and hope for it to get in! She cant serve (10-20 df/match) she cant volley (few women can) if her opponent is slicing a short ball she runs to it -pounds away with all shes got and screams so that the people living 10 miles from the Stadium can hear her. And her dad has got to be the weirdest guy in the world, yelling vamos from the stands!? Wut!? :shock::shock:
But... she has 3 slams to her name and has beaten top notch pros in all the Grand Slams she has won. Cant really blame her for only pounding away. Isnt that what all women pros do now? Safina, Dementieva, Penetta, the list goes on and on.

grafselesfan
11-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Safina and Dementieva could only dream as being as "untalented" and having 3 slam titles at 22 as Maria does.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
11-27-2009, 11:03 AM
But... she has 3 slams to her name and has beaten top notch pros in all the Grand Slams she has won. Cant really blame her for only pounding away. Isnt that what all women pros do now? Safina, Dementieva, Penetta, the list goes on and on.

Well yes, thats the WTA ladies and gentlemen.

LiveForever
11-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Safina and Dementieva could only dream as being as "untalented" and having 3 slam titles at 22 as Maria does.
LOL. Safina has made 3 slam finals and has gotten ravaged in straight sets everytime. Serena served her a bagel. It is simply ridiculous to compare this to Sharapova who beat Henin and Serena in straight sets in her first 2 slam finals.

grafselesfan
11-27-2009, 11:13 AM
LOL. Safina has made 3 slam finals and has gotten ravaged in straight sets everytime. Serena served her a bagel. It is simply ridiculous to compare this to Sharapova who beat Henin and Serena in straight sets in her first 2 slam finals.

Exactly. Yet when I bring up something like regarding Safina according to JBF I am supposably the one who is being a hater, not someone who makes threads writing off players who have 3 slam titles at only 22 and are coming back from an extremely difficult injury. The key words in womens tennis might as well be serve and nerve. That is the biggest thing, along with overall talent level, that sets the Williams apart from the others since Henin left. Maria has one of those things, and atleast has the potential to get to having the other. Safina has never had either of those things and never will. Apart from that Safina is no less a one dimenional baseline ball basher than Maria (and not even as good of one when Maria is at her best either).

jamesblakefan#1
01-17-2010, 06:37 PM
*cough* BUMP *cough*

All-rounder
01-17-2010, 06:37 PM
*cough* BUMP *cough*
LOOOOOOOOL :)

Who else??

LiveForever
01-17-2010, 06:50 PM
*cough* BUMP *cough*
LOL. sorry JBF#1, but you have proven absolutely nothing yet. Sharapova is 23 so she has many chances to win a slam. Your thread is premature. I wont be surprised if she doesnt though .

rudester
01-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Unfortunately Maria will not win this years Australian Open, losing to Kirilenko in 3 sets.
I was really getting tired of her squealing and grunting.

jamesblakefan#1
01-17-2010, 06:56 PM
LOL. sorry JBF#1, but you have proven absolutely nothing yet. Sharapova is 23 so she has many chances to win a slam. Your thread is premature.

What did I say in the OP? Her shoulder isn't good enough. A shoulder injury isn't the type of thing you just get over as time goes on. Depending on the severity, it will stay with you the rest of your career. That was my main point. Her shoulder injury has made her serve so hit and miss, it's impossible to see it holding up over 7 matches to win a slam.

You guys keep saying, give her time. How much time is needed? She's been back over half a year now, 4 slams and still no SF and only 1 QF (at the French of all places, where she then got spanked). And still she is having the same serve issues. She won a title in China, and everyone thought I'd be soon proven wrong. But now she's out early again in a major. 23 isn't young in tennis. It's not too farfetched to say her best days are behind her, and I still stand by my original point.

LiveForever
01-17-2010, 07:00 PM
What did I say in the OP? Her shoulder isn't good enough. A shoulder injury isn't the type of thing you just get over as time goes on. Depending on the severity, it will stay with you the rest of your career. That was my main point. Her shoulder injury has made her serve so hit and miss, it's impossible to see it holding up over 7 matches to win a slam.

You guys keep saying, give her time. How much time is needed? She's been back over half a year now, 4 slams and still no SF and only 1 QF (at the French of all places, where she then got spanked). And still she is having the same serve issues. She won a title in China, and everyone thought I'd be soon proven wrong. But now she's out early again in a major. 23 isn't young in tennis. It's not too farfetched to say her best days are behind her, and I still stand by my original point.
You can stand by your point all you want. We will see the next few years. Players can always find inspired form and go on a tear which is why tennis is a really fascinating sport.

davey25
01-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Good. 3 is already a massive overachievement for her talent level anyway.

TMF
01-17-2010, 07:02 PM
She's in a drought, yes, but her career isn't over. I don't think anyone is in right position to say that she'll never win another slam. You just never know.

kishnabe
01-17-2010, 07:49 PM
I bet she still has one slam in her...

Dimension
01-17-2010, 07:52 PM
I bet she still has one slam in her...

Hopefully French Open so that she can complete a career grand slam. :)

anointedone
01-17-2010, 07:54 PM
Even if she somehow recovers her form I dont see her winning a slam for another 3 years atleast. The Henin, Serena, Clijsters, and maybe Venus (if she can hang in still as she is aging now) trio or quartet will prevent her from winning any slams in 2010, 2011, or 2012. Then come 2013 she will be 26, and there will be others like Azarenka, Wozniacki, who are already contenders now and should be even stronger by then. There will be new forces we dont know of now. It will be hard for her to ever win another slam.

anointedone
01-17-2010, 07:54 PM
Hopefully French Open so that she can complete a career grand slam. :)

There is more chance of Sampras coming out of retirement and winning the French than of Maria ever winning the French now.

bertrevert
01-17-2010, 08:05 PM
She won in a diff way though - didn't she just stitch up the mother of all sponsorship contracts?

She'll be making money irrespective of winning another slam.

BTW, I agree, best days are behind her now...

equinox
01-17-2010, 09:04 PM
Maria is one major loss away from doing playboy. That's how far her playing level has dropped.

Dimension
01-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Maria is one major loss away from doing playboy. That's how far her playing level has dropped.

:shock: :shock:

Lucinda
01-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Let's focus on what's really horrible about Sharapova - that dress she was wearing!

Dimension
01-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Let's focus on what's really horrible about Sharapova - that dress she was wearing!

I was rubbing my eyes when I saw her with that dress... Couldn't believe she was wearing that.

joeri888
01-17-2010, 10:01 PM
I was rubbing my eyes when I saw her with that dress... Couldn't believe she was wearing that.

Pictures?

Maria is one major loss away from doing playboy. That's how far her playing level has dropped. Let's root against her and see what she looks like.

Dimension
01-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Pictures?

Let's root against her and see what she looks like.

A skeleton, that's what she will look like. Thoguht I realized she gained some pounds lately. Still very skinny though.

namelessone
01-17-2010, 10:06 PM
It's sad to think that Sharapova and most female tennis players today fall under this category:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVMAu-Rlfu4

Dimension
01-17-2010, 10:09 PM
Pictures?

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=397742&page=31

The picture is on the top of the page

Dimension
01-17-2010, 10:11 PM
It's sad to think that Sharapova and most female tennis players today fall under this category:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVMAu-Rlfu4

http://cdn1.knowyourmeme.com/i/10638/original/astronomically-epic-win.jpg

nabbydian
01-18-2010, 01:04 AM
she wins a slam every 2 years, i think Maria is a very form player.
she is getting to be more and more like Nadal kind of player, when everything clicks she'll on a roll again although i cant see it happens anytime now especially with FO coming up

jimbo333
01-18-2010, 03:39 AM
She'll never win another tennis match, never mind a GS, if she serves like that again!

LafayetteHitter
01-18-2010, 07:33 AM
She sure does look better on court than that big overweight Serena.

jimbo333
01-18-2010, 08:39 AM
She sure does look better on court than that big overweight Serena.

Why are you worried about what she looks like, you are as bad as those people in that appalling "guys only" thread!

I watch tennis to enjoy how well players actually play tennis, and Serena is a great player and Maria is frankly rubbish!

CanadianChic
01-18-2010, 08:41 AM
Did I leave anything out? At least she looks better in her headband than she did in the visor, that's a plus. :D

Well there ya go! Way to see the silver lining.

jazzyfunkybluesy
01-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Good I am sick of that loud pimple faced giraffe.:twisted:

Sumo
01-18-2010, 08:57 AM
She'll never win another tennis match, never mind a GS, if she serves like that again!

It wasn't the serve last night, it was the 70ish unforced errors.

LafayetteHitter
01-18-2010, 09:40 AM
Why are you worried about what she looks like, you are as bad as those people in that appalling "guys only" thread!

I watch tennis to enjoy how well players actually play tennis, and Serena is a great player and Maria is frankly rubbish!

Maria is pretty lame and her screeching is horrible but Serena looks like a water buffalo on the court the way she stumbles around.

West Coast Ace
01-18-2010, 10:43 AM
Good I am sick of that loud pimple faced giraffe.:twisted:Sounds like someone is suffering Short Man's Disease...

It wasn't the serve last night, it was the 70ish unforced errors.I'd go one step further. General lack of match play. I'm sure she pocketed a nice chunk in HK playing that exo - like she needs any more money. She didn't get enough matches in to be sharp on Day 1. Kiri practically handed the match back to her and she couldn't reclaim it.

To the OP - barring any huge injury, she'll win at least 2 more.

On a side note: I wonder how much longer Joyce will be her coach. Might be time for a change (not that I'm blaming him one bit for this loss).

thalivest
01-18-2010, 11:17 AM
Jamesblakefan is right. Maria will never win another slam.

jazzyfunkybluesy
01-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Sounds like someone is suffering Short Man's Disease...

I'd go one step further. General lack of match play. I'm sure she pocketed a nice chunk in HK playing that exo - like she needs any more money. She didn't get enough matches in to be sharp on Day 1. Kiri practically handed the match back to her and she couldn't reclaim it.

To the OP - barring any huge injury, she'll win at least 2 more.

On a side note: I wonder how much longer Joyce will be her coach. Might be time for a change (not that I'm blaming him one bit for this loss).

Im 6'1 ace. She just annoys me to no end thats all.

JankovicFan
01-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Those who actually saw the match can tell you it was Kirilenko who pressed hard enough to cause all the errors from Sharipova. Kirilenko won that match playing championship tennis. She appeared tired and choked a bit toward the end but came right back and finished it out. It was no gimme. Sharipova missed on a couple key points, unlucky on one or two flukes, and that was the story.

Parts I noticed included how well Kirilenko could return serve, even Sharipova's best shots at considerable pace and with good placement. Kirilenko is quite an athlete. She hasn't been very visible since her AO2008 prime time appearance. A real treat. The DirectTV commentators said it was like a final, and I agree...lots of really good, well matched tennis.

Texastennis
01-18-2010, 11:49 AM
I also thought Kirilenko played very very well - she earned it. Kudos to her. She's been in a kind of prolonged sophomore slump but she's still only 22 and very talented.

Sharapova - at least she's given up on last summer's disastrous effort to changer her service motion. I don't know what the future holds for her. She's back nine months or so I think now and players who have returned from surgery successfully seem like they're usually well back sooner than nine months. So that raises a real question mark about whether she can return to top 5 or GS winnining. Obviously she's not match sharp at all, and it's difficult to understand the rationale for her no warm up tournament schedule. So maybe we should see if she can improve with some more tournaments.

Peters
01-18-2010, 11:53 AM
I still feel if Sharapova could sort out her serve (even just improved it to an 'average' quality) and remained fit for an entire season she would be formidable again. She has all the strokes.

Kirilenko on the other hand is a solid grafter but nothing much more than that as far as I can see. I can't see her getting too far in this tournament but then.....it's women's tennis, so it's impossible to predict which players are going to be in form or not.

Mustard
01-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Her shoulder just isn't good enough. She's a DF machine right now, just like Coria was before his eventual breakdown.

Do you really think Maria Sharapova has the service yips like Guillermo Coria did? She could well have, as she served 11 double faults yesterday. We'll need to keep an eye on her game in the upcoming months. She could be finished as a top professional if she has the yips, just like it finished off Coria.

When Coria returned after shoulder surgery, he played to a good level for over half a year without any problems, including his serve. He started getting the service yips in July 2005, and by the 2006 clay-court period, his extremely poor serve was completely destroying his game and soon forced him out of ATP tennis tournaments altogether. Coria served over 20 double faults in a best of 3 sets match on more than one occasion in 2006, including 4 straight DFs in a single game against Kiefer at the 2006 Monte Carlo Masters. That Coria still managed to win that particular match shows how good the rest of his game still was, but his serve was just awful.

anointedone
01-18-2010, 12:12 PM
Do you really think Maria Sharapova has the service yips like Guillermo Coria did? She could well have, as she served 11 double faults yesterday. We'll need to keep an eye on her game in the upcoming months. She could be finished as a top professional if she has the yips, just like it finished off Coria.

When Coria returned after shoulder surgery, he played to a good level for over half a year without any problems, including his serve. He started getting the service yips in July 2005, and by the 2006 clay-court period, his extremely poor serve was completely destroying his game and soon forced him out of ATP tennis tournaments altogether. Coria served over 20 double faults in a best of 3 sets match on more than one occasion in 2006, including 4 straight DFs in a single game against Kiefer at the 2006 Monte Carlo Masters. That Coria still managed to win that particular match shows how good the rest of his game still was, but his serve was just awful.

I think that is possible. Maria relies on her serve far more than Coria did so if he couldnt last on tour once he got the yips, she certainly wont be winning any slams with it, even with a rather weak womens field that is weak even for WTA standards, and far and away weaker than the mens. She doesnt play defense that well so she needs to not only get serves in but powerful and well placed first serves that set her up to control points and hit her big groundstrokes without having to move around much. If she cant do that she is pretty worthless for the most part.

Buckethead
01-18-2010, 12:19 PM

You are crazy,my fruend,but it's your opinion.Don't forget she is still young,stayed out for one year,and her will and eager to be better will always be there.She has desire,and you can expect her to win and bounce back.
Sometimes it takes sometime,to get used to different things,motions,equipment,and her preparation probably wasn't that good.
We will see what happens,and we will bring this thread back later in the year.

jamesblakefan#1
01-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Maria is pretty lame and her screeching is horrible but Serena looks like a water buffalo on the court the way she stumbles around.

There's other players on tour in far worse shape physically than Serena, yet I don't see you chastising them. It's only because Serena is still among the best even while not a "skinny mini" that you choose to use such immature namecalling.

djokovicgonzalez2010
01-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Good investment, Nike :D

egn
01-18-2010, 01:06 PM
She lost to Kirlenko..who played quite damn well..Sharapova served quite awfully. The only issue right now is her serve in essence..had Sharapova served just a bit better she would have won that match. Therefore I am not ready to sell her out yet. She needs to work with a coach and reinvent or redo her serve. There is a problem there and at least she knows it as well. If I recall Kirlenko had won less points than Sharapova for most of the match and it might have finished that way. THe commentators were talking about that. If Sharapova fixes her serve there is no way in hell she doesn't get back into the top ten if not top 5. Shes still in phenomenal shape otherwise, she has a stronger mentality than most of the women. Hell even in that less set knowing how awful she had been serving she still broke back to get one last chance. She never looked mentally out of it, it was a service problem. She was playing her heart out there, chasing down the balls.

So as long as Sharapova fixes her serve..she will do fine. If not then we can all put the nail in the coffin.

BigServer1
01-18-2010, 01:14 PM
She's what...22? I think she'll be alright, and she has nearly a year off court, so her body shouldn't be too beat up.

I think she'll get back into form and be better by Wimbledon. Will see ever win a slam again? Maybe, maybe not, but I don't see her losing a lot of 1st round matches going forward.

anointedone
01-18-2010, 01:26 PM
She's what...22?

She is 23.

Bloodshed
01-18-2010, 02:19 PM
Well I don't want to sound like a jerk but I hope she never wins any more GS in her life.

Her hideous shrieks, outfits,UE and DF are enough to make me dislike her.

Annika
01-18-2010, 02:38 PM
I've gotten tired of her long melodramatic tossing to serve and her shrieks. She doesn't look too fit anymore either. I still love watching Henin and Cjlisters, who don't wear dangling earings or scream loudly, play. Now to me that's tennis. :)

fedhingis515
01-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Well I don't want to sound like a jerk but I hope she never wins any more GS in her life.

Her hideous shrieks, outfits,UE and DF are enough to make me dislike her.

I wanted to post this but I didn't have the guts to lol. Add her laughable net play and one dimensional ball bashing to that list for me. It's funny cause I hate her tennis but sometimes I enjoy her. I guess her fight keeps me interested at times.

Bloodshed
01-18-2010, 02:47 PM
I've gotten tired of her long melodramatic tossing to serve and her shrieks. She doesn't look too fit anymore either. I still love watching Henin and Cjlisters, who don't wear dangling earings or scream loudly, play. Now to me that's tennis. :)

If you watched the Henin Clijsters match @ Brisbane this year, that was some of the most beautiful tennis I've ever seen in a long time (better than the overrated Dementieva Serena 20009 Wimbledon match).

Annika
01-18-2010, 02:51 PM
If you watched the Henin Clijsters match @ Brisbane this year, that was some of the most beautiful tennis I've ever seen in a long time (better than the overrated Dementieva Serena 20009 Wimbledon match).

I so agree. And you're probably too young to remember but Clijsters reminds me so much of Evonne Goolagong from Australia. A very smooth elegant runner and long arm swings; not to mention her splits. Evonne played beautifully on clay. It was like watching a ballet. :)

http://www.milesago.com/Almanac/Images/evonne.jpg

TennisandMusic
01-18-2010, 02:52 PM
There's other players on tour in far worse shape physically than Serena, yet I don't see you chastising them. It's only because Serena is still among the best even while not a "skinny mini" that you choose to use such immature namecalling.

Whoa, really? Like who? Serena has to be over 200 easily right? I'm honestly just curious, I can't think of anyone outside of Bartoli, but people rip on her too. If she were as good as Serena she would get more attention, but she isn't.

rudester
01-18-2010, 02:58 PM
Is it possible for her to play without the noise? I just can't get past that grating, obnoxious, annoying, pestiferous, galling, irritating, disagreeable sound she makes every time she hits the ball. There are some great players throughout tennis history that could play with a classy silence. What is up with Maria?

Bloodshed
01-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Is it possible for her to play without the noise? I just can't get past that grating, obnoxious, annoying, pestiferous, galling, irritating, disagreeable sound she makes every time she hits the ball. There are some great players throughout tennis history that could play with a classy silence. What is up with Maria?

Well that's the thing, Gilbert says Maria doesn't make a single sound during practice so why would she do it on a grandstage (unlike Azarenka does it every single because she's a freak of nature). I remember when she was getting blasted off the courts by Cibulkova in RG, when she looked depressed in the beginning of the 2nd set, she wasn't making any sounds. However when Cibulkova started to choke the match, Sharapova was screaming loudly like if someone stabbed her from behind. Absolutely heinous of Sharapova to mentally disrupt an opponent like that.

soyizgood
01-18-2010, 03:43 PM
She is 23.

Are you sure? She won Wimbledon in 2004 as a 17 year old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_sharapova

She turns 23 in April. Roughly one year younger than Safina.

jamesblakefan#1
01-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Whoa, really? Like who? Serena has to be over 200 easily right? I'm honestly just curious, I can't think of anyone outside of Bartoli, but people rip on her too. If she were as good as Serena she would get more attention, but she isn't.

Petrova and Kleybanova for starters. Here's Kleybanova.
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/2010+Australian+Open+Day+1+TqqnmHfETZTl.jpg

and Petrova

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/2009+China+Open+Day+8+lf4b1PUCEl4l.jpg

Serena

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/2010+Medibank+International+Day+6+swVmXuYLaEdl.jpg

Serena's a lot more 'top heavy', while the others appear to have a bun in the oven. Just sayin...

BigServer1
01-18-2010, 03:58 PM
She is 23.

She was born April 19th, 1987...That makes her 22.

TennisandMusic
01-18-2010, 04:01 PM

and Petrova

Serena

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/2010+Medibank+International+Day+6+swVmXuYLaEdl.jpg

Serena's a lot more 'top heavy', while the others appear to have a bun in the oven. Just sayin...

Whoa, that first girl is large. I don't really think people bag on her though because she is an "unknown." Petrova is kind of a journey woman, and frankly from what I've seen she is nowhere near Serena on the lower half. That's Serena's problem really, she can be looking fitter up top and still have massive chunky legs and butt. Like REALLY massive. If she wins, she wins, and that's just a testament to either how good she is or how bad everyone else is...but she still wins, even when she's not in good shape.

I think she just draws the most heat because she's at the top, and she's really got a certain kind of attitude...and some people might think there is more too it than that, but I don't think that's a discussion worth getting into once again haha.

jamesblakefan#1
01-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Whoa, that first girl is large. I don't really think people bag on her though because she is an "unknown." Petrova is kind of a journey woman, and frankly from what I've seen she is nowhere near Serena on the lower half. That's Serena's problem really, she can be looking fitter up top and still have massive chunky legs and butt. Like REALLY massive. If she wins, she wins, and that's just a testament to either how good she is or how bad everyone else is...but she still wins, even when she's not in good shape.

I think she just draws the most heat because she's at the top, and she's really got a certain kind of attitude...and some people might think there is more too it than that, but I don't think that's a discussion worth getting into once again haha.

I just think it's more to do w/ Serena's personality than anything else. If someone has a good personality, then people are less likely to point out their flaws.

Like people seem to forget that one of the greatest of all time, Seles, wasn't always the thinnest in her playing days. But it gets overlooked by and large b/c she's a nice person.

jimbo333
01-18-2010, 04:13 PM
I'm sorry, but some of these comments about Serena are simply unbelievable!

She is extremely fit and strong, and little fat on her at all, mainly muscle. She is a great tennis player!

Please just watch the tennis!

Riosfan
01-18-2010, 04:25 PM
i think she's burnt out to some degree. been there done that, it's all just the same thing over and over now. the thrill of being the new kid, the underdog is gone. she's the hunted now. She's done just about everything in tennis, now she's almost like a prisoner of the sport. it's that fine line that fine edge of fresh desire and hunger to prove something. now she just seems to be going through the motions more than really really wanting and needing it. She does not seem to be really enjoying it and smiling and loving it. more like she's there because it's her life, she has to be. I think she needs a year or two off to enjoy life, then come back with renewed hunger and enthusiasm.

TMF
01-18-2010, 04:29 PM

and Petrova

Serena

You cherry picked certain pictures that make others look worse.

Serena
http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Serena-Williams-tennis-247734_416_300.jpg

Here, Serena is so out of shape that she’s in great agony just by trying to hit a tennis ball.

You are not fooling anyone!

rudester
01-18-2010, 04:31 PM
Well that's the thing, Gilbert says Maria doesn't make a single sound during practice so why would she do it on a grandstage (unlike Azarenka does it every single because she's a freak of nature). I remember when she was getting blasted off the courts by Cibulkova in RG, when she looked depressed in the beginning of the 2nd set, she wasn't making any sounds. However when Cibulkova started to choke the match, Sharapova was screaming loudly like if someone stabbed her from behind. Absolutely heinous of Sharapova to mentally disrupt an opponent like that.

I did not realize that she could hit quietly, if she is doing this to distract opponents, i agree with Martina Navratilova, there really ought to be some hard rules on this sort of behaviour

TMF
01-18-2010, 04:32 PM
I'm sorry, but some of these comments about Serena are simply unbelievable!

She is extremely fit and strong, and little fat on her at all, mainly muscle. She is a great tennis player!

Please just watch the tennis!

But look at what they said to Sharapova? She has a far more healthier body than Serena but still get bash(not to mention her game:mad:).

jamesblakefan#1
01-18-2010, 05:06 PM
You cherry picked certain pictures that make others look worse.

Here, Serena is so out of shape that she’s in great agony just by trying to hit a tennis ball.

You are not fooling anyone!

If Serena is 'out of shape', then so was Clijsters pre retirement, Kuznetsova, Petrova; Seles and Davenport also weren't the 'skinny minis' you seem to love, yet are more accomplished then those who you seem to trumpet. Don't be vain, if you're going to paint Serena with a certain brush, then paint the likes of Petrova and Kuznetsova w/ the same brush, or else shut up about it. If a "fat" Serena can win 11 slams, that says more about Henin, Sharapova, and Clijsters not being able to beat someone 'out of shape' and who 'doesn't care about tennis' than it does about Serena.

THUNDERVOLLEY
01-18-2010, 05:19 PM
If a "fat" Serena can win 11 slams, that says more about Henin, Sharapova, and Clijsters not being able to beat someone 'out of shape' and who 'doesn't care about tennis' than it does about Serena.

Quoted for truth.

Once again, certain members' desperate, sandbox-based comments are their only offense, since facts and history mean little to them.

davey25
01-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Like people seem to forget that one of the greatest of all time, Seles, wasn't always the thinnest in her playing days. But it gets overlooked by and large b/c she's a nice person.

Seles actually was rail thin almost before the stabbing. Did you ever see her play before the stabbing? She was never even close to chubby. After the stabbing yes she was quite chubby, even fat much of the time. However remember she won only 1 of her 9 slams after the stabbing. She won 8 of her 9 before and she was always skinny. Not that I am disagreeing with your overall point, just pointing that out when you refer to Seles. She wasnt a winner of slams hardly ever when she was a bigger women.

halalula1234
01-18-2010, 05:44 PM
her australian open 2010 dress looks like seaweed.

anointedone
01-18-2010, 10:09 PM
her australian open 2010 dress looks like seaweed.

Yeah it is a joke. I am not one who believes in draw conspiracies though. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you dont. This time Serena got very lucky with the draw, but ultimately she was probably going to make the semis or final with nearly any draw then it just comes down to who performs best in those matches. That is unless her leg injury is really hurting, in which case she could go out earlier even with her current draw. So I dont think in the big picture it makes much difference.

jimbo333
01-19-2010, 03:33 AM
But look at what they said to Sharapova? She has a far more healthier body than Serena but still get bash(not to mention her game:mad:).

I have no idea what you are talking about:shock:

Serena has as healthy a body as any other female tennis player!

She is an extremly fit and strong sportswoman. Honestly I give up, I'm off to watch some tennis.

Ripper014
01-19-2010, 07:59 AM

Though I like Maria... she is not alone... Serena is another screamer... as is Venus. I hit the ball pretty hard and have never felt the need to scream... Sele is the first that I can recall taking it to the extreme. I believe it should be regulated... as it does affect not being able to hear the sound of the tennis ball being struck, which is an important part of tennis. Sound is your first que as to how hard and how much spin is being imparted on the ball.

NamRanger
01-19-2010, 08:10 AM
If Serena is 'out of shape', then so was Clijsters pre retirement, Kuznetsova, Petrova; Seles and Davenport also weren't the 'skinny minis' you seem to love, yet are more accomplished then those who you seem to trumpet. Don't be vain, if you're going to paint Serena with a certain brush, then paint the likes of Petrova and Kuznetsova w/ the same brush, or else shut up about it. If a "fat" Serena can win 11 slams, that says more about Henin, Sharapova, and Clijsters not being able to beat someone 'out of shape' and who 'doesn't care about tennis' than it does about Serena.

Serena was not fat during her prime years, just big and muscular. However, once Serena discovered she could go in and win slams at will while being fat (Australian Open 2007, and don't even say she wasn't, because she herself admitted she was overweight), it really didn't matter to her anymore to be in shape.

She's abit better now that she's realized the women's field became much stronger all of a sudden within just a year.

TMF
01-19-2010, 08:44 AM
I have no idea what you are talking about:shock:

Serena has as healthy a body as any other female tennis player!

She is an extremly fit and strong sportswoman. Honestly I give up, I'm off to watch some tennis.

Sharapova looks more proportional basing on height, weight and size. We don’t know exactly what’s their health status, but I bet you Serena has excess fat, and a higher cholesterol level than Maria.

strong women doesn’t always equate to fit. A sumo wrestler is extremely strong, but not the fittest;).

NamRanger
01-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Sharapova looks more proportional basing on height, weight and size. We don’t know exactly what’s their health status, but I bet you Serena has excess fat, and a higher cholesterol level than Maria.

strong women doesn’t always equate to fit. A sumo wrestler is extremely strong, but not the fittest;).

Ignorant statement. Sumo Wrestlers in fact have one of the healthiest hearts in the world, on par with cyclists and marathon runners.

TMF
01-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Ignorant statement. Sumo Wrestlers in fact have one of the healthiest hearts in the world, on par with cyclists and marathon runners.

You have a problem with me saying sumo wrestler is not the fittest?:shock:

And no, I didn't compared their healthy heart to cycling/marathon runners.:roll:

And since you mention about their heart....
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/1318722

"A lot of sumo wrestlers have health problems related to being overweight. Many have knee and leg problems and lots get gout. Some even suffer from diabetes. The big thing is that after they retire, most lose a ton of weight since it is unnatural. "

“Sumo wrestlers have a life expectancy of between 60 and 65, more than 10 years shorter than the average Japanese male. They often develop diabetes and high blood pressure, and are prone to heart attacks.”

hahahahahahaha:-D

THUNDERVOLLEY
01-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Sharapova looks more proportional basing on height, weight and size.

On which planet? She has a short torso, abnormally long legs, a small skull, and walks in a clumsy fashion as though she is not meant to be her height. Compare that to Vaidisova, who is tall, but is proportionate, and has the gait of a normal person.

We don’t know exactly what’s their health status, but I bet you Serena has excess fat, and a higher cholesterol level than Maria.

This is not medically sound, as there are rail thin individuals with dangerously high cholesterol levels or high blood pressure while others 2 or 3 times their size do not suffer from the condition, thus, there are no absolutes regarding weight and good health.

Ripper014
01-19-2010, 02:59 PM
On which planet? She has a short torso, abnormally long legs, a small skull, and walks in a clumsy fashion as though she is not meant to be her height. Compare that to Vaidisova, who is tall, but is proportionate, and has the gait of a normal person.

This is not medically sound, as there are rail thin individuals with dangerously high cholesterol levels or high blood pressure while others 2 or 3 times their size do not suffer from the condition, thus, there are no absolutes regarding weight and good health.

I think the OP said more proportional... and I would accept that as an accurate statement.

thalivest
01-20-2010, 06:35 AM
If a "fat" Serena can win 11 slams, that says more about Henin, Sharapova, and Clijsters not being able to beat someone 'out of shape'

Well on Sharapova you would be correct but Henin is 5-3 and 4-1 in slams vs Serena since 2003, but more specifically 3-2 and 3-0 in slams since whatever date you believe she became "fat" (they didnt play any matches between August 2003 to March 2007 so obviously sometime in that span). Clijsters won her only meeting so far with a "fat" Serena. So there really is no basis for saying Henin and Kim have been unable to beat Serena in that shape. As for the 11 slams Serena was very fit when she won the first 6 from 99-2003, Henin and Clijsters were absent with injuries/illness from the 05 AO, Henin was absent from the 07 AO and Kim was completing her retirement tour basically, and Henin and Clijsters were both in their first retirement when she won her last 3. So even the winning 11 slams while fat saying something about Henin and Clijsters doesnt make any sense as she never won slams in her "fat" condition with Henin and Clijsters in the field yet apart from Kim being in the 07 AO field.

If you are going to say she would have beaten them anyway, that would be no less your own opinion than others saying Serena wouldnt have won more slams if Henin hadnt retired, etc....

thalivest
01-20-2010, 07:21 AM
Anyway on top of all that I dont even think Serena is truly "fat" to being with. So I wouldnt agree with demeaning the players who regularly lose to a fat Serena (which there is no evidence of yet with that happening with Henin or Clijsters anyway) since I dont think Serena is. She was fat during her major slump when she went slamless a long time but she has whipped herself back into shape. She is a not a small girl by nature. She has a large build and bone structure. I dont know people dont understand that not everyone is built to be skinny, it doesnt mean they are out of shape. She is in way better shape now than what Seles was during almost her whole post stabbing career.

Cyan
01-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Hey but she has that new Nike deal $$$$$$$$$$

NamRanger
01-20-2010, 05:04 PM
You have a problem with me saying sumo wrestler is not the fittest?:shock:

And no, I didn't compared their healthy heart to cycling/marathon runners.:roll:

And since you mention about their heart....
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/1318722

"A lot of sumo wrestlers have health problems related to being overweight. Many have knee and leg problems and lots get gout. Some even suffer from diabetes. The big thing is that after they retire, most lose a ton of weight since it is unnatural. "

“Sumo wrestlers have a life expectancy of between 60 and 65, more than 10 years shorter than the average Japanese male. They often develop diabetes and high blood pressure, and are prone to heart attacks.”

hahahahahahaha:-D

You are totally ignorant and should never speak again on this subject

"Research shows that the left side of the heart of sumo wrestlers—like most top athletes—is more muscular than most people’s.

Unlike other elite athletes, though, the cavities of their left hearts are very capacious as well. This condition afflicts the flabby hearts of the very obese too. Unlike the latter though, sumo wrestlers have normal heart functions.

This unusual combination of a very capacious left side of the heart (seen in the very obese) and normal heart function (which the very obese do not have) because of over-developed left heart muscles (seen in top athletes) was first reported in the American Journal of Cardiology in 2003.

So while they may be overweight, they are not obese and are, in fact, healthy athletes? This would generally be true of the top-ranked sumo wrestlers"

http://www.kocosports.com/absolutenm/anmviewer.asp?a=30976&z=4

Like I said, you are ignorant. I never said Sumo Wrestlers don't have joint problems, I just pointed out that they have one of the healthiest hearts in the world.

THUNDERVOLLEY
01-20-2010, 10:25 PM
You are totally ignorant and should never speak again on this subject.

Like I said, you are ignorant. I never said Sumo Wrestlers don't have joint problems, I just pointed out that they have one of the healthiest hearts in the world.

Yeah, but he had to argue in that ****-poor way in order to take yet another stab at...well...you know...

davey25
01-21-2010, 07:14 AM
Yeah, but he had to argue in that ****-poor way in order to take yet another stab at...well...you know...

So basically it is more important for some people to keep using more idiotic and completely uninformed examples than to just give up and admit they are wrong.
:twisted:

THUNDERVOLLEY
01-21-2010, 07:30 AM
So basically it is more important for some people to keep using more idiotic and completely uninformed examples than to just give up and admit they are wrong.
:twisted:

Yes, TMF should have admitted his argument was a failed one.

All-rounder
01-21-2010, 07:32 AM
Yes, TMF should have admitted his argument was a failed one.
He knew it was he's just in denial :roll:

heartman
01-21-2010, 07:42 AM
You know, she's a helluva shotmaker from the baseline. Not much else to her game that impresses me. IMHO, her biggest issue is that she just doesn't appear to be much of an athlete - I mean, I wonder if she can chew gum and dribble a ball at the same time. Very mechanical, very structured game, very little dynamic.

While I detest Serena W, I sure wouldn't want to take her on in a game of 1-on-1 on the basketball court, or whatever. Now she's an athlete - must give her that much...

davey25
01-21-2010, 07:45 AM
You know, she's a helluva shotmaker from the baseline. Not much else to her game that impresses me. IMHO, her biggest issue is that she just doesn't appear to be much of an athlete - I mean, I wonder if she can chew gum and dribble a ball at the same time. Very mechanical, very structured game, very little dynamic.

While I detest Serena W, I sure wouldn't want to take her on in a game of 1-on-1 on the basketball court, or whatever. Now she's an athlete - must give her that much...

That is Maria's problem. Yes she has one game style she can play very well. However there are others who can play that game style as well or better, but in addition are much more athletic, much smarter, have a plan B and plan C (foreign concepts to Maria), can actually play at the net. Players like Venus, Serena, Justine, Kim, even Kuznetsova (though lacking Maria's mental toughness in a big way, I am just talking game and tactics wise), all have.

jamesblakefan#1
09-06-2010, 07:42 PM
So I started this thread a year ago, and 5 slams later I continue to be validated. Even with Henin and Serena out of the field Sharapova can't make it to the QF and gets schooled by Wozniacki. She did try to show some variety, but ultimately it was futile. It's not the shoulder anymore, it's just the fact that her 1D gameplan isn't enough anymore as 90% of the field plays the same game. She'll wade around the top 15 for a few more years, maybe a slam SF here or there, but will never return to her former #1 status and will never win another slam.

thalivest
09-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Who knows. She is showing some improved form. She did probably get unlucky with her draws in the last 2 slams drawing Serena and Wozniacki (one of the best in this Serena/Henin-less field) so early and might well have gone alot further otherwise. Personally I think she overachieved to even win 3 slams so I kind of hope she doesnt win another though.

Jonnykobles
09-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Really? I thought maria was playing really well - its just that Wozniaki is really hot right now...

new_tennis_player
09-06-2010, 08:37 PM
So I started this thread a year ago, and 5 slams later I continue to be validated. Even with Henin and Serena out of the field Sharapova can't make it to the QF and gets schooled by Wozniacki. She did try to show some variety, but ultimately it was futile. It's not the shoulder anymore, it's just the fact that her 1D gameplan isn't enough anymore as 90% of the field plays the same game. She'll wade around the top 15 for a few more years, maybe a slam SF here or there, but will never return to her former #1 status and will never win another slam.

I agree. She just doesn't have the tennis IQ to take her to the next level.

That, and she's slowing down due to extreme mileage of years on the tour, and increased height and weight (will she ever stop growing?).

Even if she hits the cover off the ball, a golden retriever like wozniacki will still get it back. :)

new_tennis_player
09-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Really? I thought maria was playing really well - its just that Wozniaki is really hot right now...

Maria is getting deep into draws, especially in some of the smaller shows, but whether she can get as far as the finals and then win it in a major is a different question altogether.

SLD76
09-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Serve

Serve

Serve.

I told my friend before the match, as her serve goes, so goes the rest of her game.

Until she gets that serve halfway reliable, she has no chance outside of a very easy draw and the stars truly aligning of winning a major again. Period.

new_tennis_player
09-06-2010, 08:53 PM
It's not just her serve, it's all of those UE's. She keeps trying to overhit the ball.

She really does need a new coach. She's healthy now and she's still not close to sniffing a major's semifinal.

SLD76
09-06-2010, 08:59 PM
I dunno...as the match went on it didnt seem like Maria was going flat out for shots on the lines, so I cant say she was trying to overhit every ball.

But once her serve got shaky, the ground game became less confident.

And also, she was definitely frustrated by Woz' defense and woz moving her around the court.

But I still say, as her serve goes, so goes Maria's game.

Juges8932
09-06-2010, 09:28 PM
It's not just her serve, it's all of those UE's. She keeps trying to overhit the ball.

She really does need a new coach. She's healthy now and she's still not close to sniffing a major's semifinal.

I would argue that the UEs are a product of her serve game. It's pretty coincidental that when her serve is on, he UEs are down, but when her serve is crap, her UEs go up. Maria's game comes and goes with her serve.

She could definitely use more net play like she did a few times in that match that resulted favorably for her.

She was smashing the ball that would have blown 90+% of other players off the court, but Woz is just a great defender and was able to stay in the points just long enough.

I still have faith in her. She really does need to work on that serve. When her serve is going, she is tough to beat.

new_tennis_player
09-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Yeah, she's very inconsistent.

She's ferociously competitive, but can't seem to maintain her composure. What a shock on the WTA tour.

LafayetteHitter
09-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Pova and Serena are gonna start a hiphop girl band Pova and the Hyenas.

mtommer
09-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Never say never... she did manage to reach the QF of the French Open this year on a surface which she admits herself she sucks on, despite playing nowhere near her best and being defeated by notorious loser Alona Bondarenko not long before.

I agree. The difference between Sharapova, Williams, Henin, and Clistjers is that when they hit the ball, it's hit with purpose and strategy. They don't just mindlessly ball bash though they do bash the ball. This type of play will eventually net results for all the above once each returns to form (for those that aren't in form) as defeating "just hit the ball and hope the other misses" that most of the rest of the field displays, a prime reasons for the poor quality right now, is fairly easy. *(Granted this is oversimplifying what I want to say but I'll go with it anyway)*

tacou
09-06-2010, 11:27 PM
she's still so young...in 4 years woz is the only player who will be left around, and Maria i f she's healthy.

I think she's too good not to at least make some more finals

LetsGoRoddick
09-07-2010, 03:04 AM
I miss the WTA of Williams, Sharapova, Davenport, Henin, Mauresmo

what happened?!

jamesblakefan#1
09-07-2010, 03:17 AM
I agree. The difference between Sharapova, Williams, Henin, and Clistjers is that when they hit the ball, it's hit with purpose and strategy. They don't just mindlessly ball bash though they do bash the ball. This type of play will eventually net results for all the above once each returns to form (for those that aren't in form) as defeating "just hit the ball and hope the other misses" that most of the rest of the field displays, a prime reasons for the poor quality right now, is fairly easy. *(Granted this is oversimplifying what I want to say but I'll go with it anyway)*

Really? I think "Just hit the ball and hope the other misses" is Maria's game completely. She doesn't have any net game of note, practically has to bend over backwards to hit a drop shot or slice (she hit a few drop shots yesterday, then went back to bashing eventually). Serena, Henin, and Clijsters can at least mix it up from time to time, Sharapova has nowhere near their level of variety.

Cindysphinx
09-07-2010, 03:40 AM
No serve variety or consistency.

No slice or moonball.

No agility or defensive skills.

No drop shot.

No net game.

No more slams.

heartman
09-07-2010, 06:04 AM
OCD - cannot accommodate outside distraction - mentally walks a thin line.

And the shrieking? Women's Pro tennis is prostituting itself in the name of selling the game. What a disgrace she is with the noise she makes - no other professional player in any sport makes that kind of noise at that kind of decibel level - she's pretty, sex sells, women's pro tennis needs her and is willing to put up with it.

Simply disgraceful.

THUNDERVOLLEY
09-07-2010, 06:18 AM
No serve variety or consistency.

No slice or moonball.

No agility or defensive skills.

No drop shot.

No net game.

No more slams.

^ always Sharapova's problem. Though I noted she was moving around more--certainly coming in more than the "I'm not sure what coming in means" Wozniacki, this latest tactic is too little, too late for Sharapova, who believed (along with her camp) that the horrible one-dimensional, baseline-loving/bashing game was the model of all tennis to come.

Meanwhile, during the same era, she was outplayed by those who realized the entire court exists for a reason. Now that she (sort of) comprehends this, it is far too late. Add that to her God-awfully gangly, flat-footed movement, and no one was going to see her rise to legend status.

cknobman
09-07-2010, 06:48 AM
How bout she learn how to fracking come to net for chrissakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There were about 50 chances yesterday against Woz where Sharapova had clear approaches to net to put away easy balls where I watched her retreat from the freaking service line to hit a groudstroke.

FRUSTRATING having to watch that for an entire match.

DO SOMETHING BESIDES HIT BALL HARD AND SCREECH!!!!!!!!!

AM95
09-07-2010, 07:48 AM
How bout she learn how to fracking come to net for chrissakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There were about 50 chances yesterday against Woz where Sharapova had clear approaches to net to put away easy balls where I watched her retreat from the freaking service line to hit a groudstroke.

FRUSTRATING having to watch that for an entire match.

DO SOMETHING BESIDES HIT BALL HARD AND SCREECH!!!!!!!!!

and look hot :D

I_love_tennis
09-07-2010, 08:14 AM
OCD - cannot accommodate outside distraction - mentally walks a thin line.

And the shrieking? Women's Pro tennis is prostituting itself in the name of selling the game. What a disgrace she is with the noise she makes - no other professional player in any sport makes that kind of noise at that kind of decibel level - she's pretty, sex sells, women's pro tennis needs her and is willing to put up with it.

Simply disgraceful.

This is true with every pro sport.

dcdoorknob
09-07-2010, 08:19 AM
She'll win another slam.

I'm not even saying all the criticism's of Maria's game are off base. Lack of variety, only one gameplan for every match, etc. etc. Fair points all. She's definitely not my favorite player to watch. In most majors, these issues will continue to be exposed and she will continue to not win most of them (and I'm sure JBF will continue to bump this thread every time this happens. :roll:)

But her A game (on the occasion she finds it) is still good enough to win a major. The girl is 23 years old. She's a fighter and a hard worker, and when she's zoning, she's pretty damn tough to deal with. One more major isn't too much to expect, and I think most people in this thread are pretty short sighted for saying it can't and won't happen.

cigrmaster
09-07-2010, 08:36 AM
She will never win another major because she does not have the brains for it. To win majors you have to be tactically superior to your opponent along with a certain level of consistency. She is so lacking in those two departments.

I have to turn down the volume when I watch her matches, her screaming is so annoying. I am glad she is out and we don't have to listen to her. The WTA should have nipped this in the bud years ago with Seles.

In regards to Serena and her weight, yes at times she was carrying more weight than she should have, but she is naturally a big girl. When she was young and in perfect condition, she was still huge. Her thighs are like those of a pro football player, which does give her a great base and allows her to generate a ton of power.

People may not like Serena, but she is still one of the top 5 woman in the history of the game and deserves respect based on that alone.

thalivest
09-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Whether Maria wins another major depends more on what is around her than her at this point. Despite her youth probably isnt going to get any better when she hasnt for years now. In fact I doubt she will ever return to her 2004-2008 level.

The one saving grace for her is the weakness of the womens field currently. However that is where her fate will be more dependent in what is around her. Will Wozniacki continue to improve, and will she become a bonafide #1 contender who wins multiple majors. How much longer will Clijsters, Serena, and Henin last as threats, and will Justine regain some of her old form. How much more will Azarenka, Wickmayer, and the other still not fully established current up and comers improve. Who is coming up after this group.

ACE of Hearts
09-07-2010, 10:47 AM
She is awful!!!!Lets not make the shoulder to be an excuse!!!Her groundstrokes arent a thing of beauty and she pushes her forehand at times!!!

new_tennis_player
09-07-2010, 10:51 AM
She'll continue to win titles, but not at majors.

At the smaller tournaments, there will always be several key players absent, plus the players won't be playing as hard or be as focused (not intentionally of course, but the stakes are not quite as high).

At those smaller venues, yes, she'll continue to win.

When all the chips are on the table, and when every player is present and accounted for, and when she has to face every type of elite player and gameplan, she's likely (different from inevitably) to fall short.

She has the ability, but not the strategy.

A new coach could take her far.

Agassi improved greatly after dropping Bollettieri for example (what a surprise).

She'll win another slam.

I'm not even saying all the criticism's of Maria's game are off base. Lack of variety, only one gameplan for every match, etc. etc. Fair points all. She's definitely not my favorite player to watch. In most majors, these issues will continue to be exposed and she will continue to not win most of them (and I'm sure JBF will continue to bump this thread every time this happens. :roll:)

But her A game (on the occasion she finds it) is still good enough to win a major. The girl is 23 years old. She's a fighter and a hard worker, and when she's zoning, she's pretty damn tough to deal with. One more major isn't too much to expect, and I think most people in this thread are pretty short sighted for saying it can't and won't happen.

JediMindTrick
09-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Can somebody explain to me how is it possible, after so many years at the Boletieri tennis academy, that she volleys like a park player? What kind of people teach at that "academy"?

kiwiconman
09-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Can somebody explain to me how is it possible, after so many years at the Boletieri tennis academy, that she volleys like a park player? What kind of people teach at that "academy"?

Lol! My thoughts exactly. She really is the archetypal Bollettieri academy product: elbow-against-body forehand, loud screeching when hitting the ball, zero net play.

It begs the question, why is his academy so highly regarded??

polski
09-07-2010, 04:03 PM
She'll win another Slam. Outside of Paris, all she needs is a few upsets in the draw & to have her game clicking. She obviously cannot serve the way she is & expect to do it. And yes, the net game needs some work. Regardless, I anticipate the stars aligning for her & she'll get to a couple more finals and squeel one out.

pmerk34
09-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Lol! My thoughts exactly. She really is the archetypal Bollettieri academy product: elbow-against-body forehand, loud screeching when hitting the ball, zero net play.

A lot of good players either went there or were involved there in some way shape or form.

Grass_for_cows
09-07-2010, 04:32 PM

She kind of won three majors before she was 21. Park-player volley, that's a good one.

kiwiconman
09-07-2010, 05:15 PM
She kind of won three majors before she was 21. Park-player volley, that's a good one.

True. But for every Maria Sharapova there is a Jelena Jankovic, Anna Kournikova and Michelle Larcher de Brito :)

Grass_for_cows
09-07-2010, 05:34 PM
True. But for every Maria Sharapova there is a Jelena Jankovic, Anna Kournikova and Michelle Larcher de Brito :)

Kournikova was good in doubles and stuff.

jamesblakefan#1
09-07-2010, 05:48 PM
She'll win another Slam. Outside of Paris, all she needs is a few upsets in the draw & to have her game clicking. She obviously cannot serve the way she is & expect to do it. And yes, the net game needs some work. Regardless, I anticipate the stars aligning for her & she'll get to a couple more finals and squeel one out.

Great players don't need to rely on upsets to win majors, they beat other great players to do so. Before Stanford Sharapova had not beaten a top 40 player all season. Notably she's improved, but still not on the top echelon of slam contenders. Serena, Henin, Clijsters, are all firmly ahead of her. Wozniacki, Venus, Zvonareva, Stosur are also ahead of her as well. And at any given time there's a slew of top 30-top 40 players that would have no problem knocking off Sharapova in a major, as we saw earlier this year in Australia. Ultimately it's hard for me to see Sharapova ever regaining the consistency necessary not only to beat the Serenas and Clijsters of the world, but some of the lower ranked players as well over the course of 7 matches.

thalivest
09-08-2010, 06:44 AM
Henin is not ahead of Maria right now.

THUNDERVOLLEY
09-08-2010, 07:01 AM
She'll win another Slam. Outside of Paris, all she needs is a few upsets in the draw & to have her game clicking.

A true champion--or contender--does not need upsets. Only those with no true game need others to disappear from the draw in order to win.

MotherMarjorie
09-08-2010, 07:08 AM
Meanwhile, during the same era, she was outplayed by those who realized the entire court exists for a reason. Now that she (sort of) comprehends this, it is far too late. Add that to her God-awfully gangly, flat-footed movement, and no one was going to see her rise to legend status.
No one from this generation rose to attain "legendary" status, post Steffi Graf. I don't understand why you choose to attack a 3-time grand slam winner in this instance. She's had a good career thus far, but none of these women are legends. None of them.

Sunshine On My Shoulders,

Mother Marjorie Ann

Cindysphinx
09-08-2010, 07:34 AM
About this volleying thing . . .

I will never understand how anyone decides to become a professional tennis player despite lacking a shot as important as the volley.

I saw some female player (Radwanska?) try to hit a 2HBH approach volley recently. And she is not the only one. The first time I tried to hit a 2HBH volley in a beginner tennis clinic, the pro stopped me *immediately* and told me I had to hit it with 1HBH. So where do these players train where no one teaches them how to volley properly such that they just stick their rackets out and close their eyes?

Come on. Volleying is not *that* hard. It's not like you have to spend years on it. It is not a complicated, height-dependent motion like the serve. Djokovic and Nadal figured out early that you need a net game. Even Davydenko has improved in this area. How come Maria with her wingspan can't learn to volley?

Sheez. Watching Sam Stosur -- a supposed doubles player -- butcher all of those volleys made me want to hurl.

pmerk34
09-08-2010, 08:12 AM
About this volleying thing . . .

I will never understand how anyone decides to become a professional tennis player despite lacking a shot as important as the volley.

I saw some female player (Radwanska?) try to hit a 2HBH approach volley recently. And she is not the only one. The first time I tried to hit a 2HBH volley in a beginner tennis clinic, the pro stopped me *immediately* and told me I had to hit it with 1HBH. So where do these players train where no one teaches them how to volley properly such that they just stick their rackets out and close their eyes?

Come on. Volleying is not *that* hard. It's not like you have to spend years on it. It is not a complicated, height-dependent motion like the serve. Djokovic and Nadal figured out early that you need a net game. Even Davydenko has improved in this area. How come Maria with her wingspan can't learn to volley?

Sheez. Watching Sam Stosur -- a supposed doubles player -- butcher all of those volleys made me want to hurl.

How come serve and volleyer's in the days gone by couldn't learn to hit like Sharapova? Helena Sukova's chipped one handed BH and weak topspin on both side made her a sitting duck vs Martina in the '86 US finals. Maybe if she would have learned to hit the ball like Maria off the ground she would have had a chance.

thalivest
09-08-2010, 08:15 AM
How come serve and volleyer's in the days gone by couldn't learn to hit like Sharapova? Helena Sukova's chipped one handed BH and weak topspin on both side made her a sitting duck vs Martina in the '86 US finals. Maybe if she would have learned to hit the ball like Maria off the ground she would have had a chance.

Not to mention her slam finals and semis over the year vs Graf which were pretty much a joke due to the things you said (except for the 90 Australian Open final where Graf played on e of her worst matches and still won).

jamesblakefan#1
09-08-2010, 08:30 AM
Henin is not ahead of Maria right now.

Henin had a final in Australia where Sharapova lost 1R, beat Maria at the French, and both lost 4R Wimbledon. Henin is #8 in the WTA Race, Sharapova is #19, and that's with Henin missing the entire summer. Henin IS ahead of Sharapova right now. She has a far better shot of winning a major anytime soon than Sharapova.

yellowoctopus
09-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Currently she is the most-exposed, most-recognized, and highest-paid tennis professional. Who needs another Grand Slam?

http://sliderulesports.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/maria_sharapova1.jpg

thalivest
09-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Henin had a final in Australia where Sharapova lost 1R, beat Maria at the French, and both lost 4R Wimbledon. Henin is #8 in the WTA Race, Sharapova is #19, and that's with Henin missing the entire summer. She has a far better shot of winning a major anytime soon than Sharapova.

It will be interesting to see who ends the year ranked higher though. I am not impressed with Henin's comeback at this point though. She couldnt even beat an injured and fatigued Serena in the Australian Open final, even after having all the momentum early in the 3rd set. Then suffering some horrible losses on her favorite surface, a couple of those to relative unknowns (I am not referring to Stosur as one of the unknowns), getting owned by Clijsters all year even though Kim herself has had a dissapointing year so far (though if she wins the U.S Open it will salvage it somewhat), and losing 4th round at 2 of her 3 slams played this year.

As to who is a bigger threat to win a slam right now between Henin or Maria I would say it is a toss up. I dont think either have much of a hope at their current level. If Henin couldnt even win the Australian Open with her draw there it is pretty much impossible for her to win one at her current level of play too IMHO. You are right in that Henin might well have more hope in the future than Maria as it would seem alot more likely she improves from her level of 2010 than Maria, and if she gets even close to her old level winning the French could be pretty easy for her against the current crop. As they both are now though I think odds of winning one are similar (close to nothing for both).

kiwiconman
09-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Kournikova was good in doubles and stuff.

Lol! :)

10 chars

jamesblakefan#1
09-08-2010, 08:41 AM
Question: When was the last time Sharapova beat a top 5 player? Anyone?

kiwiconman
09-08-2010, 09:08 AM

She beat Jankovic in Tokyo last year after she retired 5-2 down in the first set.... if you can consider that 'beating' another player. Lol.

new_tennis_player
09-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Sharapova's quality of play reminds me a lot of bartoli, another top 15 player: hits the ball hard, not nearly as good as they should be hitting winners (locations needs a lot of improvement), wonky serve, can't get around the court very well.

It is what it is, people. She's won majors in the past, and she is pretty, and commands a lot of media attention, but that doesn't mean she has the game to win majors.

For those of you defending her game: would you lay some money down on Sharapova to win a major. Any major? That would be.....foolish. Sorry. I don't like to say that. But all of those errors and double faults would give you pause. As they should.

The woman's game is based upon BBB. You know what I mean. I used to get really offended when I read those comments: I assumed they were sexist comments. After watching a lot of tennis this summer, trying to pick up tips from the pros, sadly, I realize all of it is true. ALL of it.

THUNDERVOLLEY
09-08-2010, 09:15 AM

Stosur was anxious during the match, thanks to the few times she was leading on the board. If you notice, it was usually when she was trying to break Kim that the volley failed her. Clearly, Stosur has some emotional stability issues which serious hinder otherwise routine shots from her arsenal.

Grass_for_cows
09-08-2010, 09:17 AM

There's no reason to hit 1hbh volleys if you are more comfortable and successful with 2 handers. Connors, Kournikova, and Hingis are some excellent net-players that hit 2 hbh volleys.

It's much harder to volley against other top pros, especially when racquet technology favors baseline game so much.

THUNDERVOLLEY
09-08-2010, 09:18 AM

You will hardly see an honest answer from certain lovesick TW cheerleaders, who when challenged, start talking about irrelevant data like Sharapova's endorsement deals, how mush they hate other players or fantasies about how (allegedly) "attractive" she is. Explains a great deal about their so-called faith in her game.

nikdom
09-08-2010, 09:19 AM

I would know that if I bothered to keep track of women's top 5 players.

As it is, I forget who won the AO and Wimbledon women's. I remember Schiavone won the FO, cos, well, it was Schiavone.

new_tennis_player
09-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Stosur was anxious during the match, thanks to the few times she was leading on the board. If you notice, it was usually when she was trying to break Kim that the volley failed her. Clearly, WTA players have some emotional stability issues which serious hinder otherwise routine shots from their arsenal.

As a 3.0 (self rated), I shouldn't be criticizing these players. None of us should be.

Now that I've got that out of the way....

Sam Stosur is about as quick as a tortoise, and I've yet to see ANY WTA player withstand pressure very well. Serena's tough, but look what happens when she's called for a foot fault.

Women's tennis is women's tennis. There's nothing you, nor great coaching, nor the players, can do about it.

THUNDERVOLLEY
09-08-2010, 09:22 AM
No one from this generation rose to attain "legendary" status, post Steffi Graf.

Still living in the cloudy realm of denial.

thalivest
09-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Serena is a top 8 women player of all time with still potential to go higher. Venus and Henin are top 15 women players of all time. I would say they rose. Maria did not in anything close to the same way despite getting more hype and attention than all those save maybe Serena.

THUNDERVOLLEY
09-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Serena is a top 8 women player of all time with still potential to go higher. Venus and Henin are top 15 women players of all time. I would say they rose. Maria did not in anything close to the same way despite getting more hype and attention than all those save maybe Serena.

Quoted for truth.

jamesblakefan#1
09-08-2010, 10:29 AM
She beat Jankovic in Tokyo last year after she retired 5-2 down in the first set.... if you can consider that 'beating' another player. Lol.

Jankovic was not top 5 at the time.

Sharapova has not beaten a top 5 player since AO 08. Over 2 and a half years since a supposed top player has beaten a top 5 player.

pmerk34
09-08-2010, 10:57 AM

Maria has looks the media loves to promote. When woman's tennis is discussed in conversation at work or with friends etc. The first thing the guys AND the women comment about is the woman players: 1)looks 2)clothes 3)screeching 4)lesbianism and then maybe her tennis.

Buckethead
09-08-2010, 04:27 PM
I paid attention to some of her latest match and here is what I have noticed:
1-No serve variation,2nd serve sucks,too inconsistent.
2-ground strokes-only hard hitting in the middle of the court,can't change direction of the ball,too predictable,no variation in pace,spin or nothing.
3-Movement-very slow,can't change direction(too slow) footwork isn't good
4-you only see her at the net at the coin toss and after the match.
5-She needs a real coach

phoenicks
09-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Last time, Maria serve is so good that it's basically a shot that sets up for her big groundies so she can dictate play from the 1st point onwards, hence the need for good footwork is not pressing.

Now, her serve is not as good after her shoulder injury, her serve can't be consistently relied upon to set up her big groundies, she'll have to move around abit more. Coupled with the fact that the whole WTA is good is breaking serve because women practice it well to get games due to their weak serve. Hence magnifying her weakness and minimizing her strength, this is the reason why she has been losing/ inability to win a title.

SLD76
09-08-2010, 08:51 PM
I will never understand how anyone decides to become a professional WTA player despite lacking a shot as important as the serve.

I fixed it for you.

THUNDERVOLLEY
09-12-2010, 05:06 AM
I wonder how the Sharapova defenders' predictions stand at this point? It is not as though her camp has anywhere to go with her training (ex. slightly coming in more was a minor aid against flat-footed Wozniacki, but that kind of movment would get her killed with superior players as see at this year's Wimbledon), and her serve appears to have problems that are not fading, so...........

HiroProtagonist
09-12-2010, 06:11 AM
I thought she looked preety good this summer, I dont think she will be winning ne slams.....probably ever again, but u have to give her the credit she deserves for being so mentally tough in a tour of bi-polar Russians.

She has top 10 talent in a very shallow talent pool that is the WTA.

THUNDERVOLLEY
09-12-2010, 06:47 AM
She has top 10 talent in a very shallow talent pool that is the WTA.

But this just suggests she will burn off the remainder of her career as a marginal "name" when events begin, but never having a realistic chance...unless we listen to shills like Mary Jo Fernandez, who picked her to win this USO (when no sane mind would).

thalivest
09-12-2010, 06:49 AM
Mary Joe's husband is Maria's longtime agent as far as I know. Mary Joe as usual is pushing her own agenda. I dont think even she really believes half the things she says. Also explains her shoving the Oudins and Matek-Sands of the World down our throats when she is the U.S Fed Cup Captain and has to get us excited about young American talent which may not really even exist at the moment.

THUNDERVOLLEY
09-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Also explains her shoving the Oudins and Matek-Sands of the World down our throats when she is the U.S Fed Cup Captain and has to get us excited about young American talent which may not really even exist at the moment.

True; Oudin made her '09 splash, but as this USO proved, the only American talent (one of two) with any serious shot at majors over the next few years are not this crop of so-called "young talent."

thalivest
09-12-2010, 09:24 AM
True; Oudin made her '09 splash, but as this USO proved, the only American talent (one of two) with any serious shot at majors over the next few years are not this crop of so-called "young talent."

What do you think has happened with Oudin? Did she get too high on herself after one good tournament rather than staying grounded, or was she just never that good. Or does she have the right people around her to help her develop properly. Of course it is easier when you are coming up. I think she took alot of her opponents by surprise last year coming up. Once people are familiar with you, you have to be that much better just to have the same success, let alone more.

THUNDERVOLLEY
09-12-2010, 11:36 AM
What do you think has happened with Oudin? Did she get too high on herself after one good tournament rather than staying grounded, or was she just never that good. Or does she have the right people around her to help her develop properly. Of course it is easier when you are coming up. I think she took alot of her opponents by surprise last year coming up. Once people are familiar with you, you have to be that much better just to have the same success, let alone more.

I think she was full of herself immediately after USO '09, but that had long since won off. That said, the article I posted (in the Oudin thread) would lead me to read between the lines that her camp (including interested parties such as Fernandez, et al) did not help her situation, as I believe they used her to be the "remedy" for women's tennis in America because the two best Amercian female players in a generation were never their idea of Austin-esque "Americana," hence the intense focus and build-up of Oudin (which still contiunes to this day-like the Amercian Express commercial).

Oudin needs a complete makeover which starts by dumping her entire camp--coaches, relatives, and the ill USTA interests, then getting a top coach with a long list of proven success--particularly in the department of transforming weak tools into effective tools. I doubt she will do any of this, as she seems to enjoy being on board with the BS American tennis/propaganda system, but the help is out there if she wants it.

She actually has heart and appears to like the game (unlike Sharapova, who seems to be a BS "company" from childhood forward), so I would like to see her after new coaching...it could lead to better results than USO '09.

Buckethead
09-28-2010, 06:30 AM
I just wanted to let some of you know that Sharapova has lost on the first round in Tokyo to Kimiko Date krumm.

jamesblakefan#1
01-23-2011, 04:25 AM
I didn't watch the match, but judging by the stats and her previous performances, her serve still sucks (5 DFs) and her ground game is still inconsistent and terrible (30 UEs). The past two slams now she's been beaten by the younger generation of players (Wozzi, Petkorazzi). It seems more and more likely that I will be right on this.

equinox
01-23-2011, 06:16 AM
doesn't really matter if she ever wins again. as long she keeps her face on tv and print , the money will keep pouring in.

how about that scar on her shoulder?

Manus Domini
01-23-2011, 06:19 AM
I didn't watch the match, but judging by the stats and her previous performances, her serve still sucks (5 DFs) and her ground game is still inconsistent and terrible (30 UEs). The past two slams now she's been beaten by the younger generation of players (Wozzi, Petkorazzi). It seems more and more likely that I will be right on this.

she's the same generation, she's just 3 years older...

Babolast
01-23-2011, 06:24 AM
She is washed up.

jerriy
01-23-2011, 06:45 AM
I didn't watch the match, but judging by the stats and her previous performances, her serve still sucks (5 DFs) and her ground game is still inconsistent and terrible (30 UEs). The past two slams now she's been beaten by the younger generation of players (Wozzi, Petkorazzi)Ah, but that's the tricky part right there.

$ha$ha is unique the WTA in that she's just as young as the younger generation :)

Buckethead
01-23-2011, 08:25 AM
I am agreeing with JB Fan, I don't think she'll win another major.
She is just a bad player overall and there are many people in the top 30 that can knock her out easily.
Nowadays she only wins if she plays really well and that can work always.

Tanya
01-23-2011, 08:28 AM
she's the same generation, she's just 3 years older...

Sharapova has been around (or been a factor, at least) for a lot longer than the younger generation. She's already a veteran at age 23 or however old she is.

TheTruth
01-23-2011, 08:57 AM
It's never a good idea to over hype these new prospects. As soon as a woman comes out with a decent face, they're putting all of this pressure on them, picking them to win every tournament they enter. The next thing you know they're mass producing her as the next Kournikova, photo shoots, commercials, excessive media coverage, et al. It's as if they don't realize the same things that inhibited Anna will also inhibit their highly touted "cash cows."

How much motivation can you have when they give you money hand over fist without you striking a ball? It destroys the hunger and ultimately these young girls careers.

It's pretty sad.

THUNDERVOLLEY
01-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Sharapova has been around (or been a factor, at least) for a lot longer than the younger generation. She's already a veteran at age 23 or however old she is.

True; she's no newcomer, but her recent performance makes her appear to be a player far older than her years--just struggling to be the random player.

dcdoorknob
01-23-2011, 12:57 PM

Hey, looks like JBF isn't the only one with a prediction that has continued to be true up to this point in time.

NamRanger
01-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Hey, looks like JBF isn't the only one with a prediction that has continued to be true up to this point in time.

My prediction of Del Potro beating Federer in the USO final was true. Poor P_Agony had some serious egg on his face.

jamesblakefan#1
01-23-2011, 02:55 PM
She'll win another slam.

If she couldn't win with a field as open as this one was w/ Serena being out, Venus being injured, Henin recovering from injury/being ineffective, and no real major threat outside of Clijsters, on her favorite surface, then she will never win one.

The thing about zoning is that it goes both ways; there's plenty of girls who zone and can beat her, or don't even need to zone to beat her. She's lost the air of invincibility which she had during her time at the top, and will never regain that. Simply being a fighter isn't enough when you no longer have the tools necessary to compete consistently at major events.

NadalAgassi
01-23-2011, 03:13 PM
What exactly is Maria's "A game" now? She isnt the same player she was from 2004-2008 and probably never will be again. Her A game is now is not what it was several years back. Her new A game is not so great there still arent multiple players today who can beat it. And furthermore she is very erratic in producing anything approaching even that, and it takes 7 rounds to win a major. And as JBF pointed out she no longer has a psychological or mental edge of any sort. Other girls dont look at her as a top player anymore, yet as a multiple slam winner she is a huge scalp all the same.

The womens game has hit arguably an all time low in the last 3 years. It has to improve from here. And Maria isnt even coming close to contending for a slam in the last 3 years (since her 2008 AO win) against THIS field with only 1 slam quarterfinal where she was nearly double bageled by Cibulkova.

The field will probably be more open in 2-3 years with Venus and Henin for sure retired, and Serena and Clijsters quite possibly/probably as well. However by that point, if she herself is even still playing which I have real doubts about now, she will be a 26 year old having peaked at around ages 18 and 19. Wozniacki has clearly passed her by, Azarenka as overhyped as she is probably has as well. And girls like the two younger Germans who pushed her or spanked her in her last 2 rounds here are on the way past her as well. Others like Wickmayer, Radwanksa, and Lisicki could take it to the next level at some point, and there will be a newer generation of players by then we know almost nothing of now.

Harry_Wild
01-23-2011, 04:02 PM
The Chinese ladies are gaining speed in the rankings and have beat many top ten ranked players in 2010 and look good in 2011. Maria will have to contend with these up and comers.

dcdoorknob
01-23-2011, 10:29 PM
If she couldn't win with a field as open as this one was w/ Serena being out, Venus being injured, Henin recovering from injury/being ineffective, and no real major threat outside of Clijsters, on her favorite surface, then she will never win one.

The thing about zoning is that it goes both ways; there's plenty of girls who zone and can beat her, or don't even need to zone to beat her. She's lost the air of invincibility which she had during her time at the top, and will never regain that. Simply being a fighter isn't enough when you no longer have the tools necessary to compete consistently at major events.

She doesn't actually have to compete consistently at majors to be able to win one in the next 6 or 7 years. Kuznetsova has never had any sort of consistency whatsoever at majors or anywhere else and she's won 2.

Can we at least agree to wait until Sharapova is out at Wimbledon to bump this again though? I don't think anyone is expecting her to ever win the French, so there isn't much need to bump this thread when she loses there this year, even if it happens to be an ugly loss.

jamesblakefan#1
01-24-2011, 07:36 AM
She doesn't actually have to compete consistently at majors to be able to win one in the next 6 or 7 years. Kuznetsova has never had any sort of consistency whatsoever at majors or anywhere else and she's won 2.

Can we at least agree to wait until Sharapova is out at Wimbledon to bump this again though? I don't think anyone is expecting her to ever win the French, so there isn't much need to bump this thread when she loses there this year, even if it happens to be an ugly loss.

Well I didn't bump it from AO until after the USO last year, so your argument about me bumping it after every slam is invalid anyways.

THUNDERVOLLEY
01-24-2011, 08:42 AM

Why hold on to such hope? Of the top players and/or up-and-comers, name one that the present day Sharapova can easily defeat when it counts? Waiting until a likely Wimbledon collapse to bump the thread is (in my opinion) avoiding the obvious. No matter where she plays (see the 2010 USO), her game is no threat, many figured it out long ago, and newcomers simply do not fear her (not that anyone really feared her even in her blink-and-you-missed-it heyday).

soyizgood
01-24-2011, 09:34 AM
It all goes downhill even more after she gets married. After all, she said before she does not picture herself playing into her late 20's.

NadalAgassi
01-24-2011, 09:39 AM
If Maria doesnt have a good season she will retire at the end of this year (if not sooner). Bank on it. I think that is actually quite likely in fact.

On the other hand she might stay just for a chance to play in the Olympics, so maybe 2 years more max unless things improve alot.

LOL at the idea she is going to play another 6 or 7 years. The person who said that obviously hasnt read any of her interviews over the last couple years. Along with having a husband who is a pro athlete, she is not going to want to continue to be apart from him to play tennis as a has been dealing with continued dissapointing results just to hope a lucky slam might fall into her lap if she plays long enough.