PDA

View Full Version : Would Henin have broken or atleast tied Evert's record of 7 French Opens?

grafselesfan
08-08-2009, 11:23 PM
With the currently incompetent womens clay court field, where even the great Williams sisters struggle (Serena is still decent I guess but not winning) does anyone else think Henin would have surpassed or atleast tied Evert's 7 French Open titles had she not retired. Personally I think yes, she would probably have even shattered it. She was already at 4, the last 2 French Opens showed nothing that could challenge her even at say 60%. So already up to 6 pretty much gauranteed. Really is there anything that is going to emerge on clay these next few years to stop her from having continued to be a total lock even in diminished form. I am thinking she would have ended up winning 8 or 9.

By the way this doesnt mean I personally feel she would have been he greatest clay courter had she not retired. Evert would have won 10 French Opens had she even played the French from 1976-1978, and went on a 125 match win streak on clay which I am sure Henin would never have matched as she never even came close to that. Even if she won the French every year, and I am pretty sure she would have as I said, she would have still had some losses in some of the smaller clay events. While the mid to late 70s field on clay was just as much of a joke as the mid to late 2000s field Henin has dominated on clay, the clay court field of the 80s where Evert won 4 more of her Frenchs was much improved from the weak mid to late 70s and much stronger than todays.

Then one could also consider Steffi Graf who won 6 French Opens but vs a much tougher clay court field than either Evert or Henin ever faced, or Seles who without the stabbing might have won 8 or more French Opens again vs a much tougher clay court field than either Evert or Henin faced. Connolly and Lenglen were virtually unbeatable on clay in their day for many years (well Maureen as many years as possible).

jones101
08-08-2009, 11:36 PM
IMO if she played until she was 30, and still able to play up to her capabilities, she could have got 7 FO's, possibly anothar AO/USO too

flying24
08-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Of course she would have. What a dumb thread as it isnt even worth seriously debating. She would be tieing it already next year. Just shows how awful the womens field today is though as she is clearly not the best clay courter ever yet would have the record as if she were had she continued.

Cyan
08-09-2009, 06:15 AM
This is probably the muggiest era ever in womens tennis so yeah she could have beaten that record.

EtePras
08-09-2009, 07:56 AM
What a ridiculous question. When a player retires, that is a message saying they are done, and they know they have absolutely no chance of winning anything big. People don't just give up glory and millions of $$$ if they think they have even the slightest chance at it.

Sartorius
08-09-2009, 08:13 AM
What a ridiculous question. When a player retires, that is a message saying they are done, and they know they have absolutely no chance of winning anything big. People don't just give up glory and millions of $$$ if they think they have even the slightest chance at it.

True to an extent... I remember Henin openly said that she wasn't "feeling it" on the court anymore. IIRC she mentioned it talking about that very one-sided match against Serena just before she retired... You could see in that match, something was very wrong with Henin.

So yeah, she probably wouldn't do much anyway if she chose to continue. Shame, but that's the way it is. Still, she'll be remembered.

Grass_for_cows
08-09-2009, 09:05 AM
I voted no because I can't stand the weasel. But she probably would have. However soon afterward her PED use would have been discovered and she would have been forced out of the game in disgrace, her 7 FO's forever being tainted.

jamesblakefan#1
08-09-2009, 09:09 AM
I voted no because I can't stand the weasel. But she probably would have. However soon afterward her PED use would have been discovered and she would have been forced out of the game in disgrace, her 7 FO's forever being tainted.

People are going to start thinking this is my alt user id lol. :D

I say no as well. To the point that EtePras and Sartorious adressed, I agree. I say she probably would have still won it last yr, but after that who's to say she wouldn't burn out (as she did in real life) and lose much of her desire to remain at the top of a game.

Maybe if she'd taken a few months off and recharged, but if she kept playing I don't think she'd still be at the top of the game. She would have burned out eventually, just so happened to occur last yr instead of this yr or somewhere else down the line.

akv89
08-09-2009, 09:21 AM
She retired because she had no motivation to continue playing. I don't think she would have been able to win 3 more French Open titles with no gas in the tank.

flying24
08-09-2009, 10:56 AM
There is nobody who would have stopped her. She is in another planet from any of todays women on clay.

thalivest
08-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Of course she would have. She would have no competition on clay amongst todays field.

Cyan
08-10-2009, 10:25 AM
There is nobody who would have stopped her. She is in another planet from any of todays women on clay.

Exactly.....

flying24
08-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Exactly.....

Todays womens clay court field is so bad that a gruesomely out of shape far below her former best Serena Williams on her worst surface by far should have won this years French. The only one of todays women who could beat a 60% sluggish Henin on clay is Safina but never ever in a slam semi or final where it really matters. I cant believe anyone even questioning Henin's having a free ride to atleast the next 4 or 5 French Opens after 2007.

anointedone
08-11-2009, 05:02 AM
It depends if someone much more talented emerges or improves to that point on clay in either 2010 or 2011. If not then she clearly gets the record. She would have won the last two going away even likely no longer at her best based on her early 2008 play. However who knows if someone better than the current clay court field will emerge or develop by the next two years.

boredone3456
08-11-2009, 05:14 AM
She would at least tie it. 2008 would be hers, only threats would be the Serbians and Henin would have handled them as she had the previous year. 2009 the threats would be Safina, Kuzzy and Serena...Safina would choke..and Henin has proven herself against the other 2, so it would have likely been hers unless something cataclysmic happened. that would bring her to 6. I highly doubt she wouldn't have been ble to, if healthy, gotten to 7.

cknobman
08-11-2009, 06:51 AM
No Henin lacked heart and motiviation.

jamesblakefan#1
08-11-2009, 09:33 AM
No Henin lacked heart and motiviation.

Why doesn't she retire then? Oh wait, she did....so she'll never reach 7, thus the point of this thread is moot.