PDA

View Full Version : Biggest weapon backhand

cadfael_tex
08-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Was just wondering, who's backhand is the biggest weapon? What makes it so?

ckledzepplin
08-09-2009, 01:29 PM
nadal by far, because he's right handed so he has the power of his writing hand and his tennis hand

OJ ROD
08-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Nalbandian. Power, control, and a seemingly neverending consistency.

Conquistador
08-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Federer's backhand pass IMO--because he forces you deeper and deeper into the backcourt OFFENSIVELY. Federer has the ability to use this defensive pass to force his opponents into errors with their crosscourt forehands. Did I mention that he is really, really good?

rod99
08-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Federer's backhand pass IMO--because he forces you deeper and deeper into the backcourt OFFENSIVELY. Federer has the ability to use this defensive pass to force his opponents into errors with their crosscourt forehands. Did I mention that he is really, really good?

you obviously don't watch a lot of tennis. i'm a huge federer fan but there are plenty of guys with a bigger backhand weapon than federer. just off the top of my head:

nalbandian
murray
djokovic
stepanek
fish
del potro
wawrinka
gasquet
haas

JeMar
08-09-2009, 02:49 PM
If you're going by week-in-week-out performance, I'd have to go with Murray, Djokovic (although not so much anymore), or Del Potro.

<3tennis!!!
08-09-2009, 03:11 PM
sir, you have no clue

akv89
08-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Nalbandian

Fedfan1234
08-09-2009, 03:21 PM
you obviously don't watch a lot of tennis. i'm a huge federer fan but there are plenty of guys with a bigger backhand weapon than federer. just off the top of my head:

nalbandian
murray
djokovic
stepanek
fish
del potro
wawrinka
gasquet
haas

You have to make distinqtions. Nobody can play a backhand flick, backhand slice, backhand drop shot or even a backhand smash like Federer.
Federer's flat or top spin backhand is also better than most players you mention above. I wonder if you watch enough tennis if you really want to suggest that Fish or Stepanek have a better backhand than Federer.
But I agree that Federer's is not the best with the backhand passing shot this clearly is Nadal with his top spin backhand passing shot, but than again Nalbandian, Safin and Murray can hit a pretty good flat backhand passing shot.

dragonfire
08-09-2009, 03:28 PM
safin in his prime, no doubt

rod99
08-09-2009, 03:45 PM
You have to make distinqtions. Nobody can play a backhand flick, backhand slice, backhand drop shot or even a backhand smash like Federer.
Federer's flat or top spin backhand is also better than most players you mention above. I wonder if you watch enough tennis if you really want to suggest that Fish or Stepanek have a better backhand than Federer.
But I agree that Federer's is not the best with the backhand passing shot this clearly is Nadal with his top spin backhand passing shot, but than again Nalbandian, Safin and Murray can hit a pretty good flat backhand passing shot.

wrong. all of the players i mentioned have better backhands than federer. it's the rest of federer's game that elevates him above those guys. and keep in mind i'm a huge federer fan. his backhand is good but it's no better than good.

Conquistador
08-09-2009, 03:46 PM
You tennis fans missed my point. I was talking about Federer's backhand pass-not his BACKHAND--big difference there folks. Federer's backhand pass is nearly robotic, no one can top that.

rod99
08-09-2009, 04:00 PM
You tennis fans missed my point. I was talking about Federer's backhand pass-not his BACKHAND--big difference there folks. Federer's backhand pass is nearly robotic, no one can top that.

not true. i'll take plenty of guy's backhand pass over federer. i'd take nadal's over federer's and i'm a much bigger fed fan.

Conquistador
08-09-2009, 04:02 PM
not true. i'll take plenty of guy's backhand pass over federer. i'd take nadal's over federer's and i'm a much bigger fed fan.

I disagree. Federer's backhand pass is nearly robotic. He creates chaos for the other player because of the errors he forces. This is the Federer that I know.

Gugafan
08-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Gasquet BH....Vastly Superior then any other part of his game.

thejoe
08-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Nalbandian.

RoddickAce
08-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Definitely RODDICK, just kiddin...but his backhand at Wimbledon was really good, he even "out-backhanded" murray, hewitt and fed.

I would say that Safin, Nalbandian and Haas have/had the best offensive backhands out there.

Ambivalent
08-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Backhand pass - Federer
Backhand rally ball/winner - Nalbandian
Backhand return - Murray
Backhand approach - Roddick :)

UsualSuspect
08-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Federer's backhand pass is up there with anyone. Some of his backhand passes arent even strokes, he just uses ridiculous touch to pass his opponents.

cadfael_tex
08-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Lots of opinions, let's try to tie in something that would be of use to poor hackers like me. What makes them great? What is it about these particular players form, strategy, etc that makes there backhand a weapon? What can I (and anyone) learn from them?

Conquistador
08-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Lots of opinions, let's try to tie in something that would be of use to poor hackers like me. What makes them great? What is it about these particular players form, strategy, etc that makes there backhand a weapon? What can I (and anyone) learn from them?

What makes them great is the fact that the backhand pass is more of a defensive shot-one to push the opponent back vertically. The backhand is essential to forcing the opponent to make an error.

rod99
08-09-2009, 05:21 PM
What makes them great is the fact that the backhand pass is more of a defensive shot-one to push the opponent back vertically. The backhand is essential to forcing the opponent to make an error.

i'm not really sure what this means. plenty of guys can generate a ton of pace off their backhand, which means they aren't having to hit it as a defensive shot.

ReturnWinner
08-09-2009, 06:22 PM
If you mean big as power then Safin has the biggest two handed backhand, and Calleri the biggest single backhand (well he had as retired after wimbledon)

sh@de
08-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Actually I would take Fed's backhand pass over most people, probably over everyone except Nadal. I'd also take his backhand dropshot anyday. But in terms of topspin / flat rally / winner strokes, I'd take Murray's, Djoker's, Nalby's and Nadal's over Fed's. That said, Fed's backhand really isn't shabby, I'm sure it's better than Fish's and Stepanek's...

Bud
08-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Wawrinka has a devastating 1HBH... which is currently the best in the mens' game, IMO.

purple-n-gold
08-09-2009, 07:44 PM
1.Connors
2.Borg
3.kuerten

ubermeyer
08-09-2009, 08:01 PM

nalbandian
murray
djokovic
stepanek
fish
del potro
wawrinka
gasquet
haas

Murray??? Fish??? Wawrinka??? Stepanek???

I'd take Fed's backhand over these any day.

Noveson
08-09-2009, 08:07 PM

Honestly? Federer's backhand one large reason why he hasn't won more french opens, and another wimbledon.

Toxicmilk
08-09-2009, 08:24 PM

Well sure but then you can see how this would cause confusion because this thread is called "biggest weapon backhand"...not "best backhand pass"///

I like Nalbys...btw. And I'm not a Murray fan but his is quite impressive sometimes, looks effortless.

FedExFan
08-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Gasquet's BH, amazing power and variety for a 1 hander

all_backhand
08-09-2009, 09:19 PM
I don't mean to insinuate ignorance, but I am rather curious about whether the people claiming the greatness of Fed's backhand compared to the players on rod99's list have actually watched some of those guys play more than a handful of times.

I mean, obviously people have seen Djokovic and Murray play, but I feel fairly confident in saying that anyone who's actually watched guys like Nalbandian and Wawrinka play over there careers would definitely not infer that Federer's backhand is a bigger weapon than those guys.

Federer doesn't even have the best one-handed backhand on tour let alone the best overall backhand. As far as his backhand pass goes, I think that shot, in general, speaks more to his decision making and touch which, I'd agree, are unrivaled. In terms of pure ball-striking though, he's bested by, at least, a handful of guys.

Federer plays alot and wins alot and I think that contributes to some people's inability to objectively compare his backhand to some of the "lesser" guys on tour.

Clydey2times
08-09-2009, 09:27 PM

You're probably about the only one who would take Federer's BH over Murray's. Why do you think Murray almost always comes out on top when they go BH to BH? It's one of the main reasons he has such a good record over Federer. His backhand is far superior.

OliverSimon
08-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Wawrinka! Of course has the best backhand!

Wawrinka has a devastating 1HBH... which is currently the best in the mens' game, IMO.

10char

dragonfire
08-09-2009, 11:16 PM
murray or nadal have the best backhands ATM.

sh@de
08-10-2009, 01:10 AM
Uh Murray DEFINITELY has a better backhand than Fed... as do Nalby and Djoker I think.

Gorecki
08-10-2009, 01:40 AM

you watch too many youtube highlight reels!

rod99
08-10-2009, 02:09 AM

that's fine. you'd also be wrong.

dragonfire
08-10-2009, 02:10 AM
murray might not have the power of safin, but he can place it well and is very consistent, nalbandian has a good backhand, but is too overrated.

Toxicmilk
08-10-2009, 08:13 AM
murray might not have the power of safin, but he can place it well and is very consistent, nalbandian has a good backhand, but is too overrated.

Didnt seem overrated when he (used to lol) own fed with it.