PDA

View Full Version : Stosur: Big Forehand

Conquistador
08-09-2009, 04:52 PM
I was watching the stosur-pennetta match, and WOW does Stosur have a huge forehand. I just see her climbing up the ranks and becoming world number 1 someday. I was impressed

Bilbo
08-09-2009, 05:13 PM
i dont kno about forehand... but the girl is RIPPED UP! I mean she has muscles rippling in the weirdest places lol...

darthpwner
08-09-2009, 05:16 PM
stosur plays like a man like the williams sisters

FedFan_2009
08-09-2009, 05:21 PM
She has a bigger forehand then Leyton. Bigger biceps too.

tata
08-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Isnt she one of the players that has a rather spinny first serve than a flat one? Ive seen her play before and it SEEMS her first serve is more about overwhelming you with spin than pace.I believe she also likes to punish and rip cold winners off 2nd serves.

JeMar
08-09-2009, 05:36 PM
I was watching the stosur-pennetta match, and WOW does Stosur have a huge forehand. I just see her climbing up the ranks and becoming world number 1 someday. I was impressed

Never gonna happen. She's already in her mid-20s.

Bud
08-09-2009, 08:41 PM

I think she'll go top 10 and stay there for awhile. I don't see her in the top 5... unless it's just briefly.

She has an excellent serve, FH and BH slice. Most of her issues seem mental.

Jonny S&V
08-09-2009, 08:46 PM

Williams sisters don't play like men, they are just built like them in some ways, they hit too flat. Stosur plays like a man, heavy topspin mixed with pace. Pat McEnroe/Brad Gilbert/Luke Jensen must be tickled that women playing a man's game is starting to climb the rankings.

christo
08-09-2009, 11:45 PM
i dont kno about forehand... but the girl is RIPPED UP! I mean she has muscles rippling in the weirdest places lol...

as long as she doesn't stand up to pee it's ok

フェデラー
08-09-2009, 11:45 PM
she is on steroids thats why.

tiebraek
08-10-2009, 09:36 AM
I thought Santoro played like a woman...or Beck's serve reminds me of a woman serve...tsk.tsk..

I'd say that Stosur(and Williams Sis) has as good and powerful groundstrokes and serves as the men do!

audioaffliction
08-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Stosur's game does remind me of the men's game in many ways. And her forehand is great when she's in the ad court. She needs to work on her movement when going to the deuce court--whenever a heavy ball is hit to that side, she gets to it late and often has to slice a forehand back, which results in her opponent taking over the point.

sureshs
08-10-2009, 12:14 PM

She also likes women, just like men.

sheets
08-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Her forehand is refreshing to see. Not a pure flat power shot but a very heavy powerfully stuck ball that even when it lands short (which happens perhaps a tad too often) it kicks up nice and high and through the court. Her serve is also interesting. Lots of spin and angles, wicked second serve delivery which is unusual to see these days in the WTA.
The biggest issue she has is her topspin backhand i think. She seemed to mistime it a fair amount and make more errors off that wing, but its still hit with a good amount of spin and pace. Also has a pretty nice slice bit the court nicely could curve it with side spin. I noticed she uses it to draw people in to the net like federer though his is far more effective.
She's in great shape and though not graceful can cover court. It'll be interesting to see how well she does at the U.S. open where her forehand and serve should flourish.

dropshot winner
08-11-2009, 12:16 AM
I saw her play recently, and here forehand is really big, but inconsistent.

She's one of the few female players with a good kick serve and slice.

corners
05-31-2010, 06:28 AM
She is really ripping it tonight against Henin. Both of these ladies seem to have emulated Federer/Nadal to maximize the whip and resultant racquet speed with their pronated takebacks. Evolution of the game right before our eyes.

jodd
05-31-2010, 07:48 AM
ditto to the previous post.

the spin/pace combo really seemed to cause problems for henin's backhand.

i always hear people talk about how flat the women's strokes are...the women have plenty of spin, it's just rare to find someone who can hit spin with pace like stosur or even henin (think of schnyder...lots of spin, slowish balls). why is it that this is the case for the women's tour? or is it really quite similar on the men's tour?

dropshot winner
05-31-2010, 07:51 AM

i always hear people talk about how flat the women's strokes are...the women have plenty of spin, it's just rare to find someone who can hit spin with pace like stosur or even henin (think of schnyder...lots of spin, slowish balls). why is it that this is the case for the women's tour? or is it really quite similar on the men's tour?

Hiting hard, spinny balls takes a lot of strength, just look at the the arms of Stosur and Nadal.

jerriy
05-31-2010, 08:04 AM
Yup, that's strength. And Stosur is not shrieking or even huffing when she hits it (unlike the usual WTAers and even Nadal)

Maestro Nalbandian
05-31-2010, 08:24 AM
Yup, that's strength. And Stosur is not shrieking or even huffing when she hits it (unlike the usual WTAers and even Nadal)

I must say I like her style, it was quite enjoyable watching her unloading those forehands.

corners
06-01-2010, 12:03 AM

Have you read the poster tricky's posts about the difference between ATP-pull and WTA-push style forehands? Tricky holds that the WTA-push style relies more on linear weight transfer (classic style) and is somehwat limited in terms of the amount of hand/arm rotation, and thus spin, available. The ATP-pull (aka modern windshield-wiper, aka "Millenium forehand") style relies more on torso rotation and allows for a heavier ball due to increased wiper action.

Justin switched to the ATP-pull style years ago by studying film of Agassi, and some have noticed that she's comeback to the tour with a further refinement: the pronated takeback, "slingshot" variation used by Federer and Nadal.

Do an advanced search with "tricky" as author and "forehand" as the subject and you'll find lots of interesting stuff on this. Pretty esoteric from a mechanical perspective but fascinating if you're interested in forehand optimization.

I don't know what kind of forehand Stosur had previously, but right now it looks to me that she is using an ATP-pull style with a very low and abbreviated pronated takeback (the racquet face is closed all the way though the backswing), also with the "slingshot". Yesterday it looked like she was able, with this very abbreviated takeback, to really whip the ball with pace and spin with little time needed to setup. All she had to do was arrive, unit turn and swing.

The very low takeback (racquet tip below shoulder) is actually reminiscent of Rod Laver's own slingshot, but while he used a continental grip, Stosur is using semi-western. As Jerriy remarked above, she also seemed to expend little effort hitting this potent shot, which is also a feature of the "slingshot" style, according to tricky.

If you go back and look at footage of Federer hitting forehands from pre-2007, especially pre-2005, you'll notice he used the "slingshot" less than now, instead, he really launched his body at the ball - a bit more like Djokovic, though their mechanics are different. Nowadays, his backswing is tighter and more compact and he slingshots nearly every forehand. Doing so, his lower body seems much quieter and his movements less violent and dramatic. Stosur doesn't have the same elegance when she hits the shot, but you can see that she is also able to get tremendous racquet head speed by relying on the stretch-shortening mechanism rather than big lower-body explosions.

Many people have said that the "slingshot" style of Federer and Nadal is too difficult to emulate as it is assumed that is is very difficult to time correctly. Certainly, Fed's shanks could be evidence for this, but Stosur seems to be timing it beautifully right now, and I don't think many people believe she has the natural talent and otherworldly timing of those two guys.

I don't know how much her obvious strength has to do with her ability to hit this style of forehand, and clearly Justine is extremely strong for her size as well - so who knows if this will spread - but it's very cool to see this type of zinging pace and spin in the women's game.

Sentinel
06-01-2010, 12:24 AM
She also likes women, just like men.
She has confirmed she is not gay. There was a thread on that once, perhaps deleted. She certainly does look like she's on steroids - maybe that's what gives her the manly look.

I thought Conquistador was back, and came in happy :-D