PDA

View Full Version : Del Po is so much fun to watch

christo
08-09-2009, 05:59 PM
This young man is definitely the #1 attraction for me in tennis beside fed and rafa. He just seems to improve every week. Today's tie break was astonishing, 4 aces and to have the balls to go for that 2nd serve was awesome. he looks likes such a Dork but he is a serious contender.
hope he wins the series and although I am a serious fed man, I kinda hope he wins the Open

all_backhand
08-09-2009, 06:03 PM
I definitely agree with you that he's an exciting player to watch. After that incredible win streak last year (21 or 22 matches I forget), he's been on my radar as one of the truly talented young players in the game. Some of the forehands he hit in today's match were just enormous. It was a real treat to watch.

Serendipitous
08-09-2009, 06:09 PM
I definitely agree with you that he's an exciting player to watch. After that incredible win streak last year (21 or 22 matches I forget), he's been on my radar as one of the truly talented young players in the game. Some of the forehands he hit in today's match were just enormous. It was a real treat to watch.

23 matches.....:)

Welcome to the forums!

I hope you have a fun time! :)

raffi!
08-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Love Juan Martin.

He is definitely one of my favorite players.

And I absolutely envy his staggering height and blistering forehand.

all_backhand
08-09-2009, 06:26 PM

Welcome to the forums!

Thanks for both the correction and the welcome :).

I've been buying gear from tennis warehouse for quite some time and lurking in these forums for about as long. In deciding to reinvigorate my own tennis game, I figured I'd become a little more involved in the community. Seems like a great place you guys got here :D.

Serendipitous
08-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Thanks for both the correction and the welcome :).

I've been buying gear from tennis warehouse for quite some time and lurking in these forums for about as long. In deciding to reinvigorate my own tennis game, I figured I'd become a little more involved in the community. Seems like a great place you guys got here :D.

That's great!

Talk Tennis is amazing. :D:D

NickH87
08-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Great player with a voice that doesnt match....funny hearing him speak.

DarthMaul
08-09-2009, 09:35 PM

Welcome to the forums!

Hey Serendipitous!

How are you? :)

DarthMaul
08-09-2009, 09:36 PM
This young man is definitely the #1 attraction for me in tennis beside fed and rafa. He just seems to improve every week. Today's tie break was astonishing, 4 aces and to have the balls to go for that 2nd serve was awesome. he looks likes such a Dork but he is a serious contender.
hope he wins the series and although I am a serious fed man, I kinda hope he wins the Open

He became one of my favorite players after his incident with Murray.

wyutani
08-09-2009, 09:36 PM
what are del porto's weapon?

norbac
08-09-2009, 09:38 PM

...when he talks to you it feels like you're the only one in the room....:oops:

DarthMaul
08-09-2009, 09:38 PM

His racquet

wyutani
08-09-2009, 09:39 PM
...when he talks to you it feels like you're the only one in the room....:oops:

how is that gonna win him a grand slam?

raffi!
Great player with a voice that doesnt match....funny hearing him speak.

His voice should resemble a lion's growl, I agree.

jamesblakefan#1

His FH has really gotten huge, he was pushing Roddick further and further back behind the baseline today w/ that shot. His serve has also improved drastically, going from a weakness to a strength. And he moves well for a big guy.

I like his game as well, hopefully he continues to step it up against the big guns, like he did vs Fed at the FO.

wyutani
08-09-2009, 09:44 PM
His FH has really gotten huge, he was pushing Roddick further and further back behind the baseline today w/ that shot. His serve has also improved drastically, going from a weakness to a strength. And he moves well for a big guy.

I like his game as well, hopefully he continues to step it up against the big guns, like he did vs Fed at the FO.

dude, ur describing safin, not del porto.

all_backhand
08-09-2009, 09:48 PM
dude, ur describing safin, not del porto.

They have pretty similar games in terms of shot making ability though, Del Potro appears to not be as much of a head case as Safin ;). That being said, Safin's game is just so damn pretty.

wyutani
08-09-2009, 09:51 PM
They have pretty similar games in terms of shot making ability though, Del Potro appears to not be as much of a head case as Safin ;). That being said, Safin's game is just so damn pretty.

in pretty you mean before 2005? HAHA.

allcourter2008
08-09-2009, 10:03 PM
He's like an oversized WTA player with a big serve and without the choking.

1-dimensional baselinegame with no slice and netgame isn't really exciting these days. Of course he's still a good and very dangerous player, but what's so exciting about his game?

VivalaVida
08-09-2009, 10:06 PM

1-dimensional baselinegame with no slice and netgame isn't really exciting these days. Of course he's still a good and very dangerous player, but what's so exciting about his game?
I find powerful groundstrokes to be entertaining. More so than all court players. That is why I think Safin is awesome. Federer also.

Toxicmilk
08-09-2009, 10:08 PM
I find powerful groundstrokes to be entertaining. More so than all court players. That is why I think Safin is awesome. Federer also.

I used to think he was pretty boring to watch, but lately it's been better (for me). Better when he's against someone in the top 10...

allcourter2008
08-09-2009, 10:12 PM
I find a well playing Safin much better to watch than Del Potro.
He was using more variety, returned way more agressively and wasn't scared from the net (although no natural netplayer).

all_backhand
08-09-2009, 10:13 PM
in pretty you mean before 2005? HAHA.

LOL yes, that's exactly what I mean.

Jonny S&V
08-09-2009, 10:27 PM

It is totally different based merely on the fact that he doesn't grunt. If you were to compare him to a specific WTA player, Davenport is your girl. They both hit the ball so cleanly and the ball sounds so freakin' sweet off the frame when you can hear it w/o a monstrous grunt...

christo
08-09-2009, 10:40 PM
amazing how these posts get hijacked, Safin and the WTA? WTF?

all_backhand
08-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Direct comparison != hijacking.

Serendipitous
08-10-2009, 06:46 AM
Hey Serendipitous!

How are you? :)

I'm great, thanks! :)

diegaa
08-10-2009, 07:01 AM
amazing how these posts get hijacked, Safin and the WTA? WTF?

LOL, my thoughts exactly.
About his net game: he trends to go to the net quite often. When his rivals slice the ball, he goes straight to the net, he does not fall back like other baseliners... so he is not at all afraid of the net as someone said. Besides, yesterday he made a couple of s&v as well... of course I agree he has to improve that part of his game though.

deltox
08-10-2009, 07:11 AM
he is the future prototype build for a tennis player. its really showing this summer

querrey, isner, jmdp, all over 6'6" and all playing well on hardcourts.

FedFan_2009
08-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Sorry, but Del Mugtro is a dull as they come!

Serendipitous
08-10-2009, 07:48 AM

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

FedFan_2009
08-10-2009, 07:48 AM
he is the future prototype build for a tennis player. its really showing this summer

Querrey and Isner haven't done sh*t at grand slams yet.

Serendipitous
08-10-2009, 07:49 AM

deltox wasn't talking about slams.

FedFan_2009
08-10-2009, 07:56 AM
Watching Del Mugtro is like watching paint dry.

Toxicmilk
08-10-2009, 07:59 AM

Better than reading your posts. :)

sureshs
08-10-2009, 08:01 AM
He plays so casually, it looks like. I like that. I don't like people who look pained when they are playing.

NamRanger
08-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Del Potro is actually not like Safin other than the powerful serve/groundstrokes. He plays far safer and is less risky. Because of this, he is way more consistent than Safin.

Mdubb23
08-10-2009, 09:04 AM

43 posts per day! No wonder they are of the quality they are.

jamesblakefan#1
08-10-2009, 09:08 AM

I get it, you dislike him b/c of all the tears you cried when he nearly took out Fed @ the French. :D

random guy
08-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Delpo got one great thing going on for him so far: his consistency. Won five of his six finals (the only one that he lost against Berdych, he was crapping his pants, literally, due to a stomach virus) and he wins 90% of the time against lowered ranking players. He has a very calm body language when he plays against them, like if he knows that he's the one that supposed to win. If he gets to beat Federer a couple of times (he was close in RG) he would be a serious contender for a Slam.

Serpententacle
08-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Anyone watching his match against Andy Roddick hear the chair umpire mispronouncing Del POTRO's name, "Del Portro"? Talk about blatant disrespect for knowing how to say the finalists' names. It just goes to show how stupid, uninformed, and ignorant some of the umpires can be.

diegaa
08-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Delpo got one great thing going on for him so far: his consistency. Won five of his six finals (the only one that he lost against Berdych, he was crapping his pants, literally, due to a stomach virus) and he wins 90% of the time against lowered ranking players. He has a very calm body language when he plays against them, like if he knows that he's the one that supposed to win. If he gets to beat Federer a couple of times (he was close in RG) he would be a serious contender for a Slam.

no sabia que en tokio se estaba garqueteando encima.... :?

correction: he won 6 out of 7 finals. ;)

diegaa
08-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Anyone watching his match against Andy Roddick hear the chair umpire mispronouncing Del POTRO's name, "Del Portro"? Talk about blatant disrespect for knowing how to say the finalists' names. It just goes to show how stupid, uninformed, and ignorant some of the umpires can be.

I actually did. But I heard "Del Porto"... and I took notice of it. :twisted:

Serendipitous
08-10-2009, 12:03 PM

That was really annoying! :evil:

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-10-2009, 12:05 PM
A magnum 357 and an AK-14:twisted:

zagor
08-10-2009, 12:10 PM
I agree,I like to watch Delpo,great ballstriker.My favourite Argie is still Nalbo though but Delpo's cool.

Why don't you go back to MTF and troll there? I hear it's a great place.

CountryHillbilly
08-10-2009, 12:11 PM

Yeah, but Querrey and Isner are not that good. I think you meant Cheela.

Big, talls guys with good movement and powerful strokes. Frightening!

CountryHillbilly
08-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Why don't you go back to MTF and troll there? I hear it's a great place.

How on earth do you know? How does MTF compare with TT?

zagor
08-10-2009, 12:14 PM
How on earth do you know? How does MTF compare with TT?

I barely know about that site,I found about it from posters here but I remember someone here said FedFan_2009 got banned there so came to troll here.

icazares
08-10-2009, 04:13 PM
I attended the final in DC. It was happily the best match I have seen in person, probably a tie or even better than the Moya-Rochus that I saw once in the US Open. I think Del Potro hits the strongest ground strokes in the game. It would be interesting to measure speed to see how his forehand compares to Federer's. Btw, was it me not hearing well, or the Geico guy in the trophy ceremony told Roddick that he hasn't been able to forget the Wimbledon final? That was rude, especially since Roddick lost by a razor's edge again.

random guy
08-10-2009, 05:28 PM
no sabia que en tokio se estaba garqueteando encima.... :?

correction: he won 6 out of 7 finals. ;)

Hey Diegaa, como va tanto tiempo? Si en tokio fue dos veces al baņo y le pidio un carbon al trainer. No se podia mover. Recien sobre el final del partido empezo a jugar y ya era tarde.

blackfrido
08-10-2009, 05:30 PM
como andan los chicos por aca? hace rato que no los veia.....

wyutani
08-10-2009, 05:35 PM
my name got mis pronounced everytime, it aint a big deal.

Gugafan
08-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Del Potro is good, but can look quite ordinary as soon as he is taken out of his comfort zone of ball bashing. Look at what Federer and Murray have done to him in the past.

He is a fine ball striker, but does not have the defense or variety to get to the very top of the mens game...Beating Roddick is one thing, but to take out anyone of Nadal, Murray or Federer over 5 sets is another step up.

textbook strokes
08-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Del Potro is good, but can look quite ordinary as soon as he is taken out of his comfort zone of ball bashing. Look at what Federer and Murray have done to him in the past.

He is a fine ball striker, but does not have the defense or variety to get to the very top of the mens game...Beating Roddick is one thing, but to take out anyone of Nadal, Murray or Federer over 5 sets is another step up.

Agreed, but he's just 21 and very hard working. He could learn a lot more. As someone mentioned, his mental strength is one of his best weapons.
Some people who saw him in juniors told me his game was very different back then, much more defensive and without a big serve, but very determined. When he started to grow taller, trainers worked on making him more aggressive. I guess it payed off.:wink: