PDA

View Full Version : Wildcard BS

norcal22
08-09-2009, 10:55 PM
There is a national at a club i am a member of but i am not allowed to play for the wildcard because i am not part of the clubs program that is run by a very corrupt coach. The wildcard is currently going to be given to a kid who i just beat in a practice match that doesnt deserve it.

Is there anything i can do at this point to maybe argue or use reason to get the wildcard?

gully
08-10-2009, 05:05 AM
Unfortunately for you -- assuming you don't have the ranking to earn direct entry to the event -- there is nothing you can do, no.

The wild card means it can be given to whomever the director pleases, for whatever reasons he or she prefers. The practice match you played was not a "playoff" for the wildcard entry and is meaningless.

The best way to address the problem, if it is one, is to improve your ranking enough to earn a direct entry to events like these. (If you are close, you may have a shot as an onsite alternate.)

By the way, what kinds of national events are being played this time of the year, just as the national championships are underway?

10isDad
08-10-2009, 07:13 AM
I'm guessing the upcoming West Coast Junior in Sacramento. My son played it once and I have to say it was very poorly run.

First off, several seeds in the boys 16s pulled out of the tournament the day before it was to start. Come to find out, they numerically seeded all the seeds, instead of grouping after a certain number, as do most tournaments, so the entire draw had to be re-done. Probably would have anyway because two of the top seeds pulled out. However, they claimed not to have computer access to know exactly how to re-seed so the draw wasn't re-done until the day the tourney started.

So, over 100 boys show up for their first match only to find out there will be a 2 hour delay because they have to re-do the draw.

Other issues:

*minor, but no P.A. system and not enough room for kids to stay near the tournament desk, so lots of delays while umpires and players searched for other players missing because of the next bullet.

*Didn't update the draw until the morning, so anybody without a computer had no idea when their following day's match was.

*Kept scores on Post-It notes. Of course, a big gust of wind blew the notes off the board and onto the ground so several scores were 'lost'. Later they got an old cash drawer and stuffed the post-it notes in it to prevent loss.

*Changed several draw times mid-way through the day but never contacted the opponents. They had my son in the doubles draw in two different slots. When they realized it, the cancelled the wrong match, so the opponents never showed because she told them they had a bye.

norcal22
08-10-2009, 09:55 AM
@10isDad West Coast has already ended and yes it was very poorly run.

The tournament is not during hard courts its at the beginning of september

Joeyg
08-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Hey Thomas,

Corrupt coach? You should be a little more careful with your choice of words. I assume you are a Carmel/Monterey resident so that really narrows it down as to who you are calling corrupt.

As the TD, he has the right to award the wildcard to whomever he pleases.

fruitytennis1
08-14-2009, 06:32 AM
I see evil in that cats eyes. Could his name be Sarcasm.
Ahh enuf gibber time for some more.

SoCal10s
08-16-2009, 05:52 AM
Carmel/Monterey tournament ,I love that place but the tournament is run so poorly we won't go there anymore.. they have matches til 10-11 pm,because matches get so backed up and they don't have enough courts to use.. too bad but they should get rid of the doubles or some back draw matches so they can fit everything in ..