PDA

View Full Version : Will Murray Win The US Open?

Gaudio2004
08-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Nadal will not reach the quarters, as long as Fed is not in the zone, Murray will take him out in 5, Djokovic is in mug-mode while Roddick and JMDP would both lose to the Scottish rock, can Murray win the USO?!

http://bettorsedge.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/andy-murray1.jpg

Serendipitous
08-10-2009, 07:49 AM
Nadal will not reach the quarters, as long as Fed is not in the zone, Murray will take him out in 5, Djokovic is in mug-mode while Roddick and JMDP would both lose to the Scottish rock, can Murray win the USO?!

:evil::evil::evil::evil:

Yes, Murray may very well win.

Tiberius
08-10-2009, 07:52 AM
Can he win? Yeah sure anyone can win! He is capable...Will he win? Nobody can answer that one!

maximo
08-10-2009, 08:00 AM
Of course he can!! :twisted:

Tiberius
08-10-2009, 08:00 AM

Looks like a deer in a headlight moment... :D

maximo you should make this your avatar...

MichaelChang
08-10-2009, 08:04 AM
No he is not gonna win.

Jchurch
08-10-2009, 08:06 AM
No he will not

Fedex
08-10-2009, 08:07 AM
I think he will win.
He's a determined bugger with lot's of talent and some experience now and the defeat at Wimbledon will have made him even more determined.
And playing on his favourite surface. Maybe the pressure of trying to win his first slam might be a hinderance though.
Terrible pic btw.
He's a strange guy.
Sometimes looks super cool or ugly as sin.

TheFifthSet
08-10-2009, 08:11 AM
LOL---nice job with the poll title, went from 'will' to 'can'. :)

Of course he can, although I don't think he will this year.

Fedex
08-10-2009, 08:12 AM
No he is not gonna win.

No he will not

You mean you THINK he wil not win.
He CAN definitely win.
He will not definitely win as he will not definitely lose.

cknobman
08-10-2009, 08:19 AM
He can win just like anyone else in the draw.

Will he win? History says no cause he just cant beat the the best in 5.

Fedex
08-10-2009, 08:21 AM
This is obviously a duff poll.
I shouldn't have voted because the answer is obvious.
The poll should be a 100% yes as it would be for any player.
Of course Murray CAN win.
The question is is he in better form all things considered, to win the US, and I THINK he is.

jonnythan
08-10-2009, 08:25 AM
Probably not. He might, but it's highly doubtful.

Fedex
08-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Maybe the poll isn't as duff as I thought because 10 people so far have voted that Murray, the no3 in the world, has 100% no chance of winning.
Very interesting.

jonnythan
08-10-2009, 08:32 AM
Maybe the poll isn't as duff as I thought because 10 people so far have voted that Murray, the no3 in the world, has 100% no chance of winning.
Very interesting.

People were answering the question in the thread title, not the question in the poll.

They are saying that Murray won't win, not that he can't win.

Fedex
08-10-2009, 08:37 AM
People were answering the question in the OP, not the question in the poll.

They are saying that Murray won't win, not that he can't win.

'Won't' means 'Can't' but I think I know what you're getting at.
The question in the OP is flawed because no one can definitely say that Murray will or will not win.

Peters
08-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Anyone who can objectively view the strengths of Murray's game would surely see he's certainly capable of winning it this year. So yes, he 'can'.

Fedex
08-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Wow!
Now 14 people think that Murray 'cannot' 'will not' 100% definitely win the US open and before the tournament has even begun.
So what you're all telling me is that the number 3 player in the world who made it to the final last year beating the Wimbledon champion Nadal on route has 0% chance of winning the US .
Very very interesting.

jonnythan
08-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Fedex, give it a rest. People are just saying they don't think Murray "will win the US Open," which is the very question asked in the title of the thread. Obviously it's possible. Just drop it and let the thread continue, eh?

Terr
08-10-2009, 08:54 AM
No. If he makes it to the finals and it starts looking that way, I will find a dentist, get him dressed up in his white coat, grab a tool set and scare Murray into submission.

Fedex
08-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Fedex, give it a rest. People are just saying they don't think Murray "will win the US Open," which is the very question asked in the title of the thread. Obviously it's possible. Just drop it and let the thread continue, eh?

ha ha
I'm being overly pedantic but the thread is still flawed.
I'll shut up now and let nature take it's course.

GameSampras
08-10-2009, 09:03 AM
No!!!

Murray wont win the USO. Heck I'll be surprised if he wins many slams at all. Pushers usually dont see a whole of success. I would say Murray will probably get more slams than say a Roddick. But Murray I can see probably winning 3-4 slams.

All-rounder
08-10-2009, 09:21 AM
Can he win, Yes. Will he win??????? who knows

GameSampras
08-10-2009, 10:04 AM
At this point there is no proof that Murray can sustain a level of play long enough to even win a slam. This may be the slam where he does his best though. But I would like to of seen the Murray-nadal match when Nadal wasnt on rubber legs, fatigued from the olympics, and where they didnt change the court play on them.. They went from arthur ashe to Louis Armstrong. Why was that anyways? So the crappy WTA player could have their final? Who cares about WTA? The ATP is the moneymaker today

maximo
08-10-2009, 10:06 AM
No!!!

Murray wont win the USO. Heck I'll be surprised if he wins many slams at all. Pushers usually dont see a whole of success. I would say Murray will probably get more slams than say a Roddick. But Murray I can see probably winning 3-4 slams.

Murray was anything but pushing at last years Slam. :confused:

GameSampras
08-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Murray was anything but pushing at last years Slam. :confused:

Not last year Murray was very agressive at the USO.. I liked it. But then he resorted back to his more pusher ways afterwards

NamRanger
08-10-2009, 10:08 AM
At this point there is no proof that Murray can sustain a level of play long enough to even win a slam. This may be the slam where he does his best though. But I would like to of seen the Murray-nadal match when Nadal wasnt on rubber legs, fatigued from the olympics, and where they didnt change the court play on them.. They went from arthur ashe to Louis Armstrong. Why was that anyways? So the crappy WTA player could have their final? Who cares about WTA? The ATP is the moneymaker today

Considering he nearly lost to Wawrinka on grass, I'd say there's a good chance he might not win a slam at all.

Cyan
08-10-2009, 11:05 AM
I hate to say this BUT I think the next slam winner not called Fed or Rafa will happen at either USO 2010 or AO 2011. And hopefully Rafa gets his full fitness back eventually or the winner of all the slams until USO 2010 or AO 2011 will be Fed....

flyinghippos101
08-10-2009, 11:25 AM
No!!!

I don't know, Nadal is a beastly pusher and he has six grand slams under his belt...

CountryHillbilly
08-10-2009, 11:59 AM
The poll is "can?". A: Of course.

The thread title is "will?". A: Possible. Very likely.

ubermeyer
08-10-2009, 12:26 PM
'Won't' means 'Can't' but I think I know what you're getting at.
The question in the OP is flawed because no one can definitely say that Murray will or will not win.

lol... won't means can't??? you desperately need to take an english class.

ubermeyer
08-10-2009, 12:28 PM
I don't know, Nadal is a beastly pusher and he has six grand slams under his belt...

Nadal is not a pusher at all. He is a counterpuncher but one of the most aggressive counterpunchers out there. In fact, he looks more like a pure aggressive baseliner than a counterpuncher, but he has less unforced errors and goes for broke on fewer shots.

Murray on the other hand...

TheFifthSet
08-10-2009, 12:29 PM
i actually think djokovic may be due for a good performance at a slam. and he's probably going in pretty much unnoticed, so i like his chances.

cknobman
08-10-2009, 12:54 PM

Nadal is anything but a pusher. He has been known to grind at times but he changed his game up the last 2 years and as a result of that became #1.

With his given knee problems Id say hes going to be even less of a grinder as the months go by.

Nadal is an aggressive counterpuncher.

フェデラー
08-10-2009, 01:27 PM
The poll was worded wrong. You said can he, anyone can win the Us Open, like me :). Its a matter of WILL he win. I said no, but Ill see after the draw comes out. And if he gets to no.2.

ubermeyer
08-10-2009, 01:36 PM
The poll was worded wrong. You said can he, anyone can win the Us Open, like me :). Its a matter of WILL he win. I said no, but Ill see after the draw comes out. And if he gets to no.2.

No, actually you can't, because you are not even in the qualifying draw.

dee dee dee!

weallwegot
08-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Roddick is gonna give him a new one!

Gugafan
08-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Considering he nearly lost to Wawrinka on grass, I'd say there's a good chance he might not win a slam at all.

What your forgetting is US hardcourts are Murrays best surface. He has cleaned up at most of the masters series in the US and made the final of the US Open last year.

Ian Stewart
08-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Murray will not win the US Open or any other major for that matter.

His dismal capitulation in the Wimbledon semi-final provides good inductive evidence to support this view.

Remember you heard it here first. ;-)

JeMar
08-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Delete post.

Lifted
08-10-2009, 07:18 PM
No, actually you can't, because you are not even in the qualifying draw.

dee dee dee!

Please, lets keep Carlos Mencia out of this forum.

Roddick is gonna give him a new one!

A new major championship? An easy ride to the finals? A new snaggle tooth? A new what?

On topic:

Like others have said, I'd have to see his draw and seeding, but, since he got to the finals last year and because he's a solid hardcourt player, I would say that he's got as good a chance as anybody but Federer.

flyinghippos101
08-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Nadal is not a pusher at all. He is a counterpuncher but one of the most aggressive counterpunchers out there. In fact, he looks more like a pure aggressive baseliner than a counterpuncher, but he has less unforced errors and goes for broke on fewer shots.

Murray on the other hand...

Arent counterpunchers and pushers the same? Relying on the frustration and errors of the opponent? And I admit, I have seen him go for more winners lately. And +1 on Murray, one of the best pusher atm.

Clydey2times
08-11-2009, 12:31 AM

His dismal capitulation in the Wimbledon semi-final provides good inductive evidence to support this view.

Capitulation? Slight exaggeration.

Roddick won two more points than him. It just came down to a couple of points and Roddick played them better. A-Rod held his nerve when it mattered. It was nothing like a capitulation. Bear in mind that we're talking about a Roddick who served at 75%. He didn't even serve that well against Federer and, despite that, didn't get broken until right at the end of the 5th set, when he was out on his feet.

dropshot winner
08-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Hes he can.
But it's more likely that he'll probably go back to pushing forehands, which will lead to a close loss to a player like Del Potro or Roddick.

Danstevens
08-11-2009, 12:51 AM
Can he win? Yes - anyone in the draw can win.

Will he win? I must admit, I think it's doubtful. There are a lot of strong players he'll have to go through if he wants the title and he hasn't proven yet that he can go all the way in the majors. His time to win a slam will come but I don't think it is now.

Sentinel
08-11-2009, 01:43 AM

Not to mention his near decapitation by Stanislas before that.

nfor304
08-11-2009, 01:45 AM
he will choke once again and play super defensive and lose to the first decent player he faces

Fedex
08-11-2009, 05:08 AM
lol... won't means can't??? you desperately need to take an english class.

In the context, they both mean the same thing.

Murray can't (cannot) win the USO means Murray definitely will not win the USO because he cannot (is not capable) of winning.

Murray won't (will not) win the USO means Murray will not (which is definite) win the USO.

Ok who needs the English, with a capital E btw, class now ha ha.

jevonclyde
08-11-2009, 05:10 AM

It's possible. He coming closer the a grand slam title. So, why not. He needs a nice first rounder though. He tends to start of kind of slow.

effervescence
08-11-2009, 05:17 AM
Yeah, sure, why not? It's definitely in his capacity to win it.

maximo
08-11-2009, 05:19 AM
The poll result is just shameful.

Obviously the *******s don't what that to happen.

Fedex
08-11-2009, 05:22 AM

I think a few have voted for Murray.

Zeppy
08-11-2009, 05:44 AM
I think he can win.

thejoe
08-11-2009, 05:56 AM

I agree. If the question was "will Murray win?" then the result would be reasonable, but to say he can't win is insane.

anointedone
08-11-2009, 06:05 AM
I agree. If the question was "will Murray win?" then the result would be reasonable, but to say he can't win is insane.

The thread title is "will" and the poll question is "can" so it really doesnt make any sense anyway. The OP either doesnt even understand the difference between the two or isnt making it clear what he is asking. I think he can win it, but I dont think he will, so I voted no.

thejoe
08-11-2009, 06:05 AM
I don't think he will but think he can too, but I voted yes.

Zeppy
08-11-2009, 06:08 AM
The thread title is "will" and the poll question is "can" so it really doesnt make any sense anyway. The OP either doesnt even understand the difference between the two or isnt making it clear what he is asking. I think he can win it, but I dont think he will, so I voted no.

Yeah, I also noticed that too. That was the reason I didn't vote in the thread. I think Murray can, but I'm not sure if he will.

Rippy
08-11-2009, 06:09 AM
Yeah the poll is perhaps causing some confusion, between "can" and "will". The thread title is different from the poll title.

I don't think Murray will definitely win, but he has a chance, so I voted yes.

jonnythan
08-11-2009, 06:13 AM

"Poll: Will Murray Win The US Open?"

That's what I saw before I came in and voted. I didn't even notice the poll text was different until well into the thread.

Fedex
08-11-2009, 07:01 AM

That's what I saw before I came in and voted. I didn't even notice the poll text was different until well into the thread.

Will's and will nots statements cannot be answered because no one knows.
Can questions are pointless because the answer is obvious which is yes.
Cannot statements are wrong because Murray can win.
It's all wrong.
The question should be 'Do you THINK Murray WILL win' or 'What do you THINK Murray's chances of winning are'.
Or can the WILL be CAN?
Sh*t I'm confusing myself.
English is so ambiguous.

TheFifthSet
08-11-2009, 07:03 AM

same, just FTR.

Ian Stewart
08-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Capitulation? Slight exaggeration.

Roddick won two more points than him. It just came down to a couple of points and Roddick played them better. A-Rod held his nerve when it mattered. It was nothing like a capitulation. Bear in mind that we're talking about a Roddick who served at 75%. He didn't even serve that well against Federer and, despite that, didn't get broken until right at the end of the 5th set, when he was out on his feet.

If you'll forgive me, you make my point for me. When Federer is pushed to the limit he finds a way - any way - to win. Under similar duress, Murray capitulates. You can almost always calculate when Murray's nerve is weakening. When his forehand technique betrays him (and it always does, eventually) he retreats to the security of his nominal substrate - six feet behind the court. Then you know he's struggling. You can see the color drain from his face.

At any rate that is the evidence of the last three GS tournaments.

Unlike the majority of ululating denizens who populate this forum I am a big Murray fan. He's a great player. I appreciate his subtleties and enjoy his variety. I would love to see him win a major. I just don't see it happening, unless something changes in his mental approach. Further I would argue a radical reworking of his forehand is needed.

nethawkwenatchee
08-14-2009, 10:22 PM
What your forgetting is US hardcourts are Murrays best surface. He has cleaned up at most of the masters series in the US and made the final of the US Open last year.

I've got to agree with Guga. Murray has been very impressive the past few hardcourt swings and has winning edges over most all the other contenders... especially on hard courts. As for the Wawvrinka comment from Namranger.... that Stan guy is very tough and it's no shame for Murray to have a tough match with Stan at Wimbledon my man!

egn
08-14-2009, 10:27 PM

What happened to Murray the last time he faced Roddick in the "slam he was supposed to win"

LETS GET OFF THE DAMN MURRAY BANDWAGON AND LET HIM WIN ALL READY.

Lets be real Murray definitely can win..will he finally get his head on straight for seven straight best of five matches is a different story. He has failed to do so up to date..lets see him do it now. I am not ready to hop on this bandwagon yet. Lets see how he does in the summer hardcourts.

AprilFool
08-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Roddick will win this one.

mandy01
08-14-2009, 10:31 PM
He has a great chance.Its his best surface,thats for sure.

nethawkwenatchee
08-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Maybe... he came close last year!

Mr.Brightside
08-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Roddick will win this one.

+1

At least I sure hope so. Roddick could use another Slam title.

veroniquem
08-14-2009, 10:43 PM
He has the ability. He was close last year.

Antonio Puente
08-15-2009, 12:02 AM
He has the ability. He was close last year.

Many players have the ability. Unfortunately, many players with ability turn out to be chronic chokers.