PDA

View Full Version : Great idea for a tournament

ninman
08-10-2009, 07:16 AM
I had a great idea for a tennis tournament that would really see who the best players were. The difference in rules would simply be to do with raquets, let me know what you think.

1. All players will be issued with a predesignated tournament, standard raquet upon arrival (all players will be given identical raquets).

2. A player may not have his raquet re-strung unless a string is broken, or have his raquet replaced unless it is broken.

3. Any raquets broken deliberately will NOT be replaced, and the player MUST use the broken raquet for the duration of the tournament.

What do you think?

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-10-2009, 07:19 AM
I had a great idea for a tennis tournament that would really see who the best players were. The difference in rules would simply be to do with raquets, let me know what you think.

1. All players will be issued with a predesignated tournament, standard raquet upon arrival (all players will be given identical raquets).

2. A player may not have his raquet re-strung unless a string is broken, or have his raquet replaced unless it is broken.

3. Any raquets broken deliberately will NOT be replaced, and the player MUST use the broken raquet for the duration of the tournament.

What do you think?

By broken racket you mean when the strings break i assume? That would be impossible to play with after 3-4 minutes.
Everyone playing with the same racket and the same tension would be interesting though
Aaaah sorry, i missunderstood, these are some cool thoughts. Good

ninman
08-10-2009, 07:20 AM
By broken racket you mean when the strings break i assume? That would be impossible to play with after 3-4 minutes.
Everyone playing with the same racket and the same tension would be interesting though

No I mean broken frame, i.e. a player smashes a raquet in a fit of rage. The punishment is having to use that same raquet for the remainder of the tournament.

Toxicmilk
08-10-2009, 07:22 AM

What do you think?

Trying to screw over safin? :twisted:

I don't really think it'd be a good idea...for the whole standard racquet thing though. It'll suit certain players more than others...

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-10-2009, 07:22 AM
No I mean broken frame, i.e. a player smashes a raquet in a fit of rage. The punishment is having to use that same raquet for the remainder of the tournament.
Lol, yeah sorry i read it to fast:) Thats a cool idea, i know who would NOT win, Safin.

jonnythan
08-10-2009, 07:29 AM
I think the whole thing is meritless, especially the "must play with a broken racquet" thing.

What is this supposed to accomplish? It's not like some players have better racquets - anyone can play with whatever racquet they wish to play with. Some players would be put at a natural advantage because the "standard" racquet is closer to what they're used to. Imagine if the "standard" racquet was essentially a Pure Drive GT Plus and it was Federer and Roddick in the final. Who would have the advantage?

As for the "must play with broken racquet" thing, imagine if someone did that - and got hurt by a broken racquet. The basic outcome is that anyone who breaks a racquet is immediately and automatically eliminated from the tournament. There's no fun in that, and it's not very fair. Furthermore, no one would want to win by default when his opponent breaks a racquet.

JRstriker12
08-10-2009, 07:30 AM

What do you think?

So playing a nearly 11-month long tour which features 4 grand slams and has a ranking system doesn't already tell you who the best players are???

Meh.... It's an okay concept, but it may not tell you who the best players are, but may only tell you who the best person is with that particular racket.

For example, let's say Babolat sponsors such a tournament and requires everyone one to play with an APD - who's going to win that tourney? Not Nadal - right?

OR let's say prince sponsors the tourney and everyone played with some version of an 03 - wouldn't the prince players have the advantage?

If everyone played with something similar to a PS85, then you basically hand the tourney to Fed.

Only way you could set up a baseline is to use a racket that no one on the tour uses, so you would probably have to go back to wood. A woodie exhibition would be fun, but I'm not watching a weeks worth of woodie play.

jonnythan
08-10-2009, 07:31 AM
I'm not watching a weeks worth of woodie play.

My first week of college was kinda like that.

JRstriker12
08-10-2009, 07:32 AM

LOL!!!! (10 char)

ninman
08-10-2009, 07:33 AM
So playing a nearly 11-month long tour which features 4 grand slams and has a ranking system doesn't already tell you who the best players are???

Meh.... It's an okay concept, but it may not tell you who the best players are, but may only tell you who the best person is with that particular racket.

For example, let's say Babolat sponsors such a tournament and requires everyone one to play with an APD - who's going to win that tourney? Not Nadal - right?

OR let's say prince sponsors the tourney and everyone played with some version of an 03 - wouldn't the prince players have the advantage?

If everyone played with something similar to a PS85, then you basically hand the tourney to Fed.

Only way you could set up a baseline is to use a racket that no one on the tour uses, so you would probably have to go back to wood. A woodie exhibition would be fun, but I'm not watching a weeks worth of woodie play.

Or you have a custom made raquet designed by the tournament organisers, and not made by any of the big manufacturers.

jonnythan
08-10-2009, 07:36 AM
Or you have a custom made raquet designed by the tournament organisers, and not made by any of the big manufacturers.

No matter how it's designed, the play of the racquet is going to align much more closely with what some players are used to than what other players are used to, giving them a huge advantage.

The only way around it would be to use something so out of the ordinary that no one plays anything at all similar to it. 24 ounce, 15 point head heavy, 140 sq in head maybe? :twisted:

JRstriker12
08-10-2009, 07:59 AM

Okay.

Then:

Custom Racket Similar to PS85 = Fed Win

Custom Racket Similar to APD = Nadal Win

..... so on and so forth........

Basically, if the custom racket is similar to what the player already plays with, it gives them a bit if an advantage.

But we are not even dealing with real-world problems here, such as there's no way in hell racket makers are going to have their sponsored players holding a non-branded custom stick and players are not going to give up cash to play in such a tourney.

Even if you did put paint jobs on all the sticks, are people going to believe they really are the same, and is the custom manufacturer going to take a hit by not letting players know who actually manufactured the rackets?

Plus most players are pretty finicky about the gear they use. That purse or point pay-off would have to be massive to get players to give up thier cutomized sticks to play a one-off tourney like this.

RCizzle65
08-10-2009, 10:57 PM

Touche, lmao

Andy G
08-10-2009, 11:00 PM
How about an old school indoor wood court tournament. Ever try to slide across a wood floor, think a basketball court, it doesn't happen. You would need bowling shoes or something similar.

egn
08-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Not fair, if the racket is a wider head it favors guys comfortable with that and vice versa. Imagine watching Fed and Nadal simply switch rackets and play each other...it would be a bit crazy don't you think.

Andres
08-10-2009, 11:11 PM
OK, everyone has to play with a 97 sq inches Technifibre or Völkl racquet. Luxilon and nat gut at 58 lbs.

Commando Tennis Shorts
08-10-2009, 11:17 PM
I don't mean to be a nay-sayer,but the main flaw with this idea seems to be that you, for some reason, are thinking that putting restrictions on racquets would make a better tournament.

Now, I'm not even sure racquets mean as much as the next guy, but even if they do, you're giving an unfair advantage to someone who already plays with a racquet similar to the one that's being issued to everyone.

ninman
08-10-2009, 11:26 PM
I don't mean to be a nay-sayer,but the main flaw with this idea seems to be that you, for some reason, are thinking that putting restrictions on racquets would make a better tournament.

Now, I'm not even sure racquets mean as much as the next guy, but even if they do, you're giving an unfair advantage to someone who already plays with a racquet similar to the one that's being issued to everyone.

Not better, just interesting. Trying to find a neutral raquet and see who does the best with it.

Commando Tennis Shorts
08-11-2009, 07:29 AM
Not better, just interesting. Trying to find a neutral raquet and see who does the best with it.

It's an interesting thought, for sure. It seems it would be extremely difficult to find a truly "neutral" racquet, though

S H O W S T O P P E R !
08-11-2009, 07:36 AM

Why you hating against Safin?

sureshs
08-11-2009, 07:37 AM
Good luck finding "identical" racquets. You will be lucky to get 2 that match, given the kind of quality control we have seen.

Also, what about standardizing shirts, shoes, and underwear?