PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal String Changes

cadfael_tex
08-10-2009, 07:23 AM
After replying to a question in another thread I got to wondering. Does anyone here change string for different seasons? Winter is looming and I have been thinking about stringing gut but after answering the other thread and thinking I may have changed my mind. When it is playable out doors there will be cold, more moisture where I'm at, and a big delta in temps indoors to out. None of which would be good for an expensive gut stringing.

So, do you play different strings for different seasons.

ratm355
09-02-2009, 12:50 PM
natural gut all year 'round...rain or shine 8)

In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to change to a different type of strings. The main difference between poly and gut is how they react when a ball is coming in fast and you try to return it fast. Poly takes that power away and gut returns it all back. When tapping slow balls though, there's not as big of a contrast. You won't be able to play the same style of game if you switch strings.

This winter, I'm going to try a different racket while the conditions are heavy. It's the from the same mold that my current racket is, just stiffer. I string my rackets about 15 to 20 lbs looser between winter and summer though.

By the way, I was talking to you last year about some rackets you had for sale, but didn't ever hear back from you on pics getting sent to me. I'm still interested in trading or buying some of your stuff if you've still got them. I tried e-mailing you, but it came back undeliverable. Please shoot me an e-mail at ratm355@gmail.com. Thanks.