PDA

View Full Version : College Ready?

skyzoo
08-10-2009, 10:45 AM
My Videos, to lazy to put the others up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luKjnsySgaw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLoc8baNp1A&feature=related

Any Thoughts?

DownTheLine
08-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Depends what level off college tennis you want to play?

Your serve follow through is a little weird to say the least.

skyzoo
08-10-2009, 10:55 AM
yeah i think i changed that, not sure though. I want to go low d1 but it depends on academics mostly.

gokou703
08-10-2009, 11:24 AM
yeah his serve follow through is the result the way he transfers his weight into the serve. i never saw him explode or even push off his back foot. sort of slides it forward and uses a kick motion to transfer weight to his serving arm.

DownTheLine
08-10-2009, 11:27 AM
I would like to see if some would know if you could get into a D1 school to play tennis so I know where I am at.

skyzoo
08-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Yeah I want to know that to. haha, are you around the same skill level?

gokou703
08-10-2009, 11:54 AM
There's quite a few former college level players in these forums. They should all have good insight. I played at a very high ranked junior college a few years ago. I think the best way to get a good idea of your skills level is some clips of a match, or at least some points played out. Even doubles points will an idea of your level of play.

Most would be interested of your utsa ranking if that's possible?

goran_ace
08-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Forget about the videos and how well you hit certian shots. What are your past rankings? What are your recent tournament results? This is what coaches will want to know.

skyzoo
08-10-2009, 01:56 PM
yeah since im a year round swimmer to i don't really get out to many sectional tournaments. but i was #1 in my state and probably will be this year to.

Birke
08-10-2009, 07:20 PM
I hope you don't lose some reaction time on your opponents' returns if you still have that service motion...

goran_ace
08-11-2009, 06:03 AM
yeah since im a year round swimmer to i don't really get out to many sectional tournaments. but i was #1 in my state and probably will be this year to.

winning state as an underclassman is great and you shouldn't have a problem getting recruited.

JStar7
08-11-2009, 06:24 AM
Nice serve, but just one thing that I do as well that my coach always tells me everytime I serve. Try to tuck your left arm in when you go to follow through because when you serve your left arm flies all the way to your back, making it look like your trying to scratch your back after you serve. I'm a junior too, and I make this mistake as well, but now I can see what it looks like (no offense to you :))

skyzoo
08-14-2009, 01:35 PM
ha thanks man. It's been a pain lately without any coaching. My Serve is just as hard but minus consistency.

babolat15
08-15-2009, 05:44 AM
you should atleast be able to go D2....

skyzoo
08-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Nice serve, but just one thing that I do as well that my coach always tells me everytime I serve. Try to tuck your left arm in when you go to follow through because when you serve your left arm flies all the way to your back, making it look like your trying to scratch your back after you serve. I'm a junior too, and I make this mistake as well, but now I can see what it looks like (no offense to you :))
I've been trying that left arm tuck off my serve and it proved to be great. adds a great deal of consistency. thanks man

DownTheLine
08-16-2009, 07:13 AM
BTW try pushing off with both feet. In your videos it looks like you only push off with your front.

Noveson
08-16-2009, 11:51 PM
Number 1 in your state? What state and what size school? Cause I dunno matchplay might be different but you don't look so close to my competition for the state championship. Guy I got beat by last two years is 6'6" and hits it 130;)

skyzoo
08-17-2009, 04:21 AM
I meant tournament play. haha, The guy who has won it two years so far only plays national events in the summer. I lost in the second round at states.