PDA

View Full Version : Will anyone remember Roddick, Hewitt and Safin as Fed's victims?

CountryHillbilly
08-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Safin, Roddick and Hewitt. They had bad luck that their prime coincided approximately with that of Federer (well maybe not Hewitt). They might have picked up a lot of slams between 2003 and 2007 or even later, possibly at least 3-4 each.

On the other hand, Murray, Djoko and DelPo may actually be quite lucky if Federer loses interest in the next year or so (hypothetically) and Nadal turns out to have a career-ending injury. And besides, Federer's prime wasn't that long really (about 3 years 2004-2006), maybe, we'll see at US.

So is this an injustice? And how can it be corrected?

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Safin, Roddick and Hewitt. They had bad luck that their prime coincided approximately with that of Federer (well maybe not Hewitt). They might have picked up a lot of slams between 2003 and 2007 or even later, possibly at least 3-4 each.

On the other hand, Murray, Djoko and DelPo may actually be quite lucky if Federer loses interest in the next year or so (hypothetically) and Nadal turns out to have a career-ending injury. And besides, Federer's prime wasn't that long really (about 3 years 2004-2006), maybe, we'll see at US.

Good thread, they will be remembered as great players that unfortunately happened to be in the same era as the best ever so far.

FredMurray
08-10-2009, 01:25 PM
I agree about roddick but not so much Safin and Hewitt.

And besides, Federer's prime wasn't that long really (about 3 years 2004-2006), maybe, we'll see at US.

Federer is still in his prime,what you are describing is when he was at his peak in ability. He isn't that much worser at his favourite slams than he was in 2004.

Federer Prime (late)2003 - present

Wimbledon - before final

1 set lost - wimbledon 2009
0 set lost - Wimbledon 2008
1 set lost - wimbledon 2007
0 set lost - wimbledon 2006
1 set lost - wimbledon 2005
1 set lost - wimbledon 2004
1 set lost - wimbledon 2003

US Open - before final

4 set lost - us open 2003 (failed to reach final)
3 set lost - us open 2004
2 set lost - us open 2005
1 set lost - us open 2006
2 set lost - us open 2007
3 set lost - us open 2008

CountryHillbilly
08-10-2009, 01:33 PM
I agree about roddick but not so much Safin and Hewitt.

Federer is still in his prime,what you are describing is when he was at his peak in ability. He isn't that much worser at his favourite slams than he was in 2004.

But, Aussie and French are different business. He was beaten at AO the last 2 years. This year, DelPo had quite a chance against him. Djokovic looked better on clay than Fed this season (until RG of course).

In Wimbledon he still looks sharp. We'll see about US this year. Last year he beat Murray in his first slam final.

FredMurray
08-10-2009, 01:50 PM
But, Aussie and French are different business. He was beaten at AO the last 2 years. This year, DelPo had quite a chance against him. Djokovic looked better on clay than Fed this season (until RG of course).

In Wimbledon he still looks sharp. We'll see about US this year. Last year he beat Murray in his first slam final.

Federer has always been vulnerable at AO and FO.Infact Federer has only ever looked unstoppable at Wimbledon.People forget that Federer lost no sets before playing Nadal in the final of Wimbledon 08.

Anyway,he certainly isn't immune from an early upset at the US Open(only in 2006 did he put in a wimbledon-esque performance).

TMF
08-10-2009, 02:03 PM

While Hewitt may not be as unlucky as Roddick, but I would definite list him as one of the unluckiest guy to play along side with TMF. Hewitt went 0-12 against TMF since AO 2004, and 6 of those times was at the GS.

Grass_for_cows
08-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Who are these people, this Roddick, Hewitt, and Safin?

Conquistador
08-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Yea, Roddick, Hewitt, and Safin will.

FedFan_2009
08-10-2009, 02:57 PM

Federer's victims.

zagor
08-10-2009, 03:13 PM

Slam winners and former #1s,multiple slam winners in Hewitt and Safin's case so I'd say they're pretty good players.

dragonfire
08-10-2009, 03:21 PM

who are you???

CountryHillbilly
08-10-2009, 04:00 PM
What I meant was: will they be remembered as anything other than Fed's victims?

They were quite unlucky. They were better than just 1- or 2-slam wonders.

thalivest
08-10-2009, 04:04 PM
I dont think Safin is a big Federer victim. He won a slam at Federer's expense. He was totally gassed out by all the long matches at the 2004 Aussie Open so would have lost to one of Nalbandian, Hewitt, Roddick, or Agassi in the final anyway assuming he still has all those long matches. He lost the Wimbledon semis to Federer in 2008 so maybe he was a victim there. Two other times losing in early rounds but he probably wasnt going to do anything at those two particular events. So really only on time a victim of Federer as I see it. Safin was mostly a victim of Safin, he couldnt stay consistent enough to reach more slam finals and semis to even play Federer.

Roddick and Hewitt are defintitely major Federer victims.

Djokovic and Murray, especialy Murray, have more proven ability to beat Federer, and on hard courts anyway even Nadal, than do Roddick or Hewitt however. So I think people would give them the benefit of the doubt in that sense. Anyway the competition arguments could be spun so many different ways, in the end results speak.

P_Agony
08-10-2009, 04:15 PM
I dont think Safin is a big Federer victim. He won a slam at Federer's expense. He was totally gassed out by all the long matches at the 2004 Aussie Open so would have lost to one of Nalbandian, Hewitt, Roddick, or Agassi in the final anyway assuming he still has all those long matches. He lost the Wimbledon semis to Federer in 2008 so maybe he was a victim there. Two other times losing in early rounds but he probably wasnt going to do anything at those two particular events. So really only on time a victim of Federer as I see it. Safin was mostly a victim of Safin, he couldnt stay consistent enough to reach more slam finals and semis to even play Federer.

Roddick and Hewitt are defintitely major Federer victims.

Djokovic and Murray, especialy Murray, have more proven ability to beat Federer, and on hard courts anyway even Nadal, than do Roddick or Hewitt however. So I think people would give them the benefit of the doubt in that sense. Anyway the competition arguments could be spun so many different ways, in the end results speak.

Murray beat Federer in 2008-2009, after Fed's prime. I think even Roddick can beat Fed on hard courts these days (he was so close on grass).

CountryHillbilly
08-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Murray beat Federer in 2008-2009, after Fed's prime. I think even Roddick can beat Fed on hard courts these days (he was so close on grass).

I think you may be exaggerating:

2009 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Miami
FL, U.S.A. Hard Q Federer, Roger 6-3, 4-6, 6-4

2009 Australian Open
Australia Hard S Federer, Roger 6-2, 7-5, 7-5

2008 ATP Masters Series Miami
FL, U.S.A. Hard Q Roddick, Andy 7-6(4), 4-6, 6-3

2007 Tennis Masters Cup
China Hard RR Federer, Roger 6-4, 6-2 Stats

2007 US Open
NY, U.S.A. Hard Q Federer, Roger 7-6(5), 7-6(4), 6-2

NickC
08-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Safin would have, if he had his head screwed on right. He didn't make it far in the slams to face Fed. If he was, he would have been able to win a few more slams. He doesn't belong here.

GameSampras
08-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Roddick yes.. He was the abusee by Fed.

Hewitt, maybe.. But hewitt didnt hang around in top form long.. And by the time Fed peaked in 06, Hewitt was already washed up with injuries.

Safin? No.. He was insignifcant for most of that time and when Safin was red hot, Fed was the victim at the Australian.. But Safin couldnt even stay in the top 10 or relevant for very long..

In short, Roddick was the supreme victim.

P_Agony
08-10-2009, 05:20 PM
I think you may be exaggerating:

2009 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Miami
FL, U.S.A. Hard Q Federer, Roger 6-3, 4-6, 6-4

2009 Australian Open
Australia Hard S Federer, Roger 6-2, 7-5, 7-5

2008 ATP Masters Series Miami
FL, U.S.A. Hard Q Roddick, Andy 7-6(4), 4-6, 6-3

2007 Tennis Masters Cup
China Hard RR Federer, Roger 6-4, 6-2 Stats

2007 US Open
NY, U.S.A. Hard Q Federer, Roger 7-6(5), 7-6(4), 6-2

Roddick and Fed's matches this year, other than the AO semi final, were extremley close. Roddick had chances in both their Miami match and the Wimbly match. I won't be surprised if Roddick beats Federer if they meet at Canada or Cincy.

Gugafan
08-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Roddick yes.. He was the abusee by Fed.

Hewitt, maybe.. But hewitt didnt hang around in top form long.. And by the time Fed peaked in 06, Hewitt was already washed up with injuries.

Hewitt actually returned pretty strongly in 04-05. He lost to Federer in 3 of the slams in 04, and made it deep at Wimbledon and US Open 05, only to run into Federer once again. Outside clay, Federer was the only player that was capable of dominating Hewitt during this period.

hankash
08-10-2009, 06:28 PM
They'll probably be footnotes in 10 years. Sucks for them that Federer was around but great for tennis as a whole.