PDA

View Full Version : Natural gut in the Mains vs Crosses

himynameisNIKE
08-10-2009, 12:58 PM
I have recently acquired a package of tonic natural gut. I am also fully sponsored with kirschbaum so i have plenty of Pro Line II. I am looking to mix the gut with pro line II. What would be the advantage of gut in the mains and pro line II in the crosses, and putting Pro Line II in the mains and gut in the crosses? Your opinions are welcome and if any of you have used these setups feel free to share!:)

abiriax
08-10-2009, 03:02 PM
It's very much a matter of trial and error. Gut in the mains will give you a lot of power, but i've tried gut in mains and crosses and i prefer it in the crosses. I guess you'll only know by trying both.

star 5 15
08-10-2009, 03:10 PM
since your using all poly right now, my best recomendation would be to try it in the crosses. You will get an insane amount of pop though if you put it in the mains though. I will say though if you put it in the mains go up to 60lbs to help control it.

Deck
08-10-2009, 03:12 PM
I have tried Tonic in both the crosses and the mains. In the mains the gut lasts 4 to 5 times longer than in the crosses especially with a hard string like a poly in the mains which saws right through the Gut. In the mains you get a true Gut feel, a little more power and it will last longer. I have noticed the Tonic lasts longer than Klip and a couple other Gut brands. Tonic is a very crisp feeling Gut.

smack that
08-10-2009, 05:07 PM
if would agree with gut in the crosses because u r using a all poly setup now

wrxtotoro
08-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Gut in both main and cross = sweetness!!!

quest01
08-10-2009, 08:22 PM
I've only used gut in the crosses, I find that its too powerful in the mains.

Steve Huff
08-10-2009, 09:18 PM
I like the way gut plays, so I put it in the mains. Kirshbaum in the crosses will help durability, and tame the power some, but it will still have that "gut feel". Put the Kirshbaum in the mains and it will feel more like the Kirshbaum. Nothing wrong with that, I just prefer the feel of gut.

v205
08-10-2009, 09:51 PM
If you use NG in mains and like a poly cross, get a thick 15/15L poly so it doesn't saw the NG as much as a normal 17g poly would?

Steve Huff
08-11-2009, 01:09 PM
I've never had any trouble with a thin poly sawing through the natural gut.

Supracool94
08-12-2009, 05:40 AM
I prefer nat gut in the mains! One of my racquets is strung with Wilson 15L Natural gut and crossed with Technifibre Black Code 17. It feels great! You get the best of both worlds, the feel and touch of gut/ with the control and ball bite of a poly!

If your not a chronic string breaker, put the gut in the mains! Or try it both ways, since you have a full set!

drakulie
08-12-2009, 05:47 AM
I've always felt putting gut in the crosses is an absolute waste. Better to put a nice synthetic that is cheaper, and has good durability.

Gut in the mains, although will not last you as long, you will at least experience the playability of the string, where as in the crosses>> all you are doing is waisting it.

Just my two cents.

cadfael_tex
08-12-2009, 07:55 AM
Going to interject something here that I hope isn't a total highjack since I think it goes to the heart of the matter:

What exactly do the crosses contribute to the stringbed?

I can understand the mains, especially the polys giving bite since spin comes from the low to high (or vice versa) swing of the racquet. But I can't understand how using a poly in the crosses would give any benefit. I'm not understanding the physics of it.

Anybody help me out with this?

Supracool94
08-12-2009, 08:07 AM
When you hit a forehand, does your racquet stay completely horizonal throughout the entire stroke?

If you hit a kick serve, don't both strings brush over the ball?

Both the mains and crosses make contact with the ball.

THESEXPISTOL
08-12-2009, 08:10 AM
Gut in both main and cross = sweetness!!!

Gut in both main and cross = fence
for me :lol:

OroDeSantoro
08-12-2009, 10:30 AM
I highly recommend gut as the mains, although if you're transitioning from a full poly setup it might be wiser to try it out in the crosses first. For those who say that gut mains make too much power, just string it a little tighter. Nothing grabs the ball like gut... mains > crosses

cadfael_tex
08-12-2009, 04:13 PM
When you hit a forehand, does your racquet stay completely horizonal throughout the entire stroke?

If you hit a kick serve, don't both strings brush over the ball?

Both the mains and crosses make contact with the ball.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Thanks.