PDA

View Full Version : Slice backhand

anton785
04-08-2004, 09:41 PM
Okay, I noticed an "old" post on here from like a week ago and it raised a point for me about a misconception/question that I have about the backhand slice. But let me precede my comments with this statement: I never really had anyone teach me the backhand slice because all of the instructors I have had tend to strictly enforce the topspin tennis game. However, I attempted to teach myself as the author of the previous post did, and I came up with some decent results.

Anyway, now for the point of this post: It seems to me that the swingpath for the backhand slice does not differ much from the way a person would throw a frisbee. You start with your arm back and bring it across your body in a sort of dipping motion, but finish with your arm extended and high. Am I correct in assuming that this is the correct motion for a backhand slice? Someone help me out here and describe the correct swing or tell me if I'm doing it the right way.

Phil
04-08-2004, 10:01 PM
It's been a long time since I tossed a frisbee, but I think the motion of throwing it would approximate the backhand slice swing path. Another way of looking at it is to start the racquet high-above the ball-bring it down and on making contact with the ball, take it on through on a totally level plane, as if you're brushing crumbs from a table. Then, finish off with the arm extended and high-in the opposite position from where you began the swing.

jeebeesus
04-09-2004, 04:09 AM
hey phil u work nights and still got energy to play tennis? i work nights too and when i get home i cant even lift a fork

sinoslav
04-09-2004, 10:45 AM
I think the BH slice and BH frisbee throw are pretty different. Crucially, in the frisbee throw you're trying to maximize the angular momentum you apply to the frisbee, whereas in the slice you're trying to keep a consistent angle of the racquet face with respect to the ball. Also, there's more downward motion in a typical slice than in a frisbee toss. Finally, of course, the orientation of the forearm is totally different and frisbee tosses should be wristy, BH slices usually not.

The frisbee toss seems to me to be somewhere in between a BH slice and a BH drive.

Phil
04-09-2004, 11:46 PM
Jeebeesus wrote:

hey phil u work nights and still got energy to play tennis? i work nights too and when i get home i cant even lift a fork

Ahh...no I don't normally work nights.

Bungalo Bill
04-12-2004, 02:54 PM
There are actually three important movements in the upper body to perform an offensive slice, one that you use to rally with.

The shoulders/upper arm, the wrist, and the forearm. All of them are used in different degrees to give you the ball you're looking for.

1. The wrist: this is a simple and lsight movement of the racquet simply going down. You move your wrist much like the motion of casting a line if your fishing, not quite as exagerrated but pretty close to the same motion. This provides the spin.

2. The shoulders/upper arms: This motion resembles much of the umpires signal for SAFE in a baseball game except your arms dont spread out. Just perform it without having your arms go oustide of the width of the shoulders.

3. Your forearm: It supinates to bring the racquet upward and to the ball. You just roll your forearm away from yoru body.

You use all three of these movements for a power slice. They all are integrated and each movement compliments each other - they are smooth. Your followthrough will be a natural extension of these efforts.

You want to try and hit the ball as you step forward around before it reaches your front hip and go through the ball - dont chop down or your will lose the forward movement effort your shoulders/upper arm and forearm are trying to create. only chop down for shots you know you want to chop down on.

jeebeesus
04-13-2004, 03:00 AM
3. Your forearm: It supinates to bring the racquet upward and to the ball. You just roll your forearm away from yoru body.

BB shouldn`t it be pronate? maybe supinate for forehand slice? i got it mixed? :oops:

Bungalo Bill
04-13-2004, 09:45 AM
I think it is supinate. The racquet sort lays down with the blade or frame pointing at the ball. Then the forearm has to roll the face back up to hit it on the strings. I beleive this motion is supination - turning the palm up.

fastdunn
04-13-2004, 01:28 PM
It's a supination for both power slice and top spin
1 handed backhand. IMHO, it adds both pace and
spin to the slice backhand. IMHO, same goes to
the top spin 1 HB.

By the way, I think I might have a better example than frisbee
throwing (in which wrist position/action is different from
those for the slice). Have you guys seen Japanese people
hitting their traditional drums ? Those guys, with bare
asses and pants look like diapers, hitting a large drum
side way with drum sticks.
They hit them with frim wrist and a slight supination to get
some power..... ha ha ha...

jeebeesus
04-13-2004, 07:20 PM
ok ,the action is same as the one used for the serve. so is it pronate or supinate?

cantaloupe
04-13-2004, 07:59 PM
ok i'm gonna share my secret for hitting a great slice :lol: :lol:

2 things

1) make sure that you really step into your slice, and do not start with the racket too high, only a little bit higher than the point of contact, this produces a more penetrating slice and the ball skids right through the court after the bounce.

2) make sure to swing forward, do not swing across your body. Swinging across your body results in a floating slice that can be punished, swing through the ball and it won't float up

for an example of what i'm talkin about see steffi graf, slice.

if done right the slice can really screw up your opponent's rhythm, I've only recently begun to alternate my backhand between a slice and topspin repeatedly, and i wish i could ake pictures of my opponen's facial expression :lol: :lol: , (a mix of concenration and frustration leading to much anger :wink: )

linli101
04-14-2004, 08:01 AM
Lots of confusion about pronate and supinate. Here is what I understand. Assume you are right-handed, strech your arm straight naturally, palm faces left. Turning palm down is pronate (rotate counter clockwise), turning palm up is supinate(clockwise).
By this defination, you will supinate when you are slice serving and pronate when you do forehand topspin, flat serve and backhand slice. You will supinate when you do single-handed backhand topspin drive.