PDA

View Full Version : Prince Synthetic Gut w/ Duraflex

jturpin4
08-10-2009, 02:03 PM
How long does PSGD last before you have to cut it out if you are not a string breaker?

Conquistador
08-10-2009, 02:08 PM
i dont like the stuff personally. it lacks feel.

mikeler
08-10-2009, 02:28 PM
I am a string breaker and it lasted 2-4 matches for me.

DennisK
08-10-2009, 02:34 PM
I'm not a total string breaking monster, but I found its durability pretty poor to be honest. It would only last about 5 - 6 hours before going pop.

vndesu
08-10-2009, 03:19 PM
it lasts like 2 days for me
id rather hybrid them at least to get more durability

topseed
08-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Not much effect for me. Although the feel of using it is great, it still does not last.

Jsa2u
08-10-2009, 03:43 PM
The only strings I really ever cut out are polys. Not really a huge tension drop from any other strings besides poly and Kevlar.

origmarm
08-12-2009, 05:05 AM
I've seen some Jnrs and older players at the club get good life out of PSGD. The rule of thumb is at minimum to restring as often per year as you play per week. Some of the older players in particulary restring twice a year.

Personally for most players I feel with PSGD if you are getting over 20hrs out of it without a break then it's probably shot structurally and should be restrung. Either that or a max of 3-4 months just sitting in the racquet. There is no hard or fast rule that I know of here but that feels about right as a guideline.

I've yet to make it over the 12hr mark with this string even in the thick gauge. 7hrs or so is about normal for me.

Nuke
08-12-2009, 05:54 AM
How long does PSGD last before you have to cut it out if you are not a string breaker?

The good news is you don't have to cut it out because of tension loss. If you hit with topspin, it will snap after about 15 hours of play. The string moves a lot (unless you're hybriding it with a slick poly) and thus saws itself until it pops. But it's pretty good for the price, if you're OK with frequent restringing. Works well and lasts longer as the cross string in a hybrid with a poly (Cyber Flash, Big Ace, Big Hitter, etc.)

stoo
08-12-2009, 06:08 AM
I had it in one of my AG 200's and apart from the tension dropping a fair amount, it lasted ages hitting 3-4 hours per week.

mikeler
08-12-2009, 06:58 AM
The good news is you don't have to cut it out because of tension loss. If you hit with topspin, it will snap after about 15 hours of play. The string moves a lot (unless you're hybriding it with a slick poly) and thus saws itself until it pops. But it's pretty good for the price, if you're OK with frequent restringing. Works well and lasts longer as the cross string in a hybrid with a poly (Cyber Flash, Big Ace, Big Hitter, etc.)

I don't like PSGD as a cross string with Big Ace. It frays way too quickly. Gamma synthetic gut works much better for me as a cross string.

shaysrebelII
08-12-2009, 07:22 AM
I use it with good success at 55#, but I don't hit with much spin and I haven't experimented much with different setups. I'll agree that its feel isn't the best, but I've had no problems in regards to durability.

Hidious
08-12-2009, 07:39 AM
i dont like the stuff personally. it lacks feel.

What do you think about PSGOriginal?

lenderbender
08-12-2009, 02:02 PM

I had it in one of my AG 200's and apart from the tension dropping a fair amount, it lasted ages hitting 3-4 hours per week.

lol contradicting posts woo!

personally I think it does drop tension a bit. I loved my full bed of PSGD at 58 lbs day after I got it restrung but after a week it just felt mushy and I was hitting the ball much more erratically.

tennisstrngdude
08-12-2009, 02:11 PM
It all depends on your level of play and tolerance of performance loss. Some can use it for months on end. Others less than 10 hours.

Nuke
08-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Yeah, it depends on your strokes, I guess. In my experience, the string pops before it goes dead from tension loss. But I hit hard, spinny shots, so I'm officially a string-breaker. Players who hit flatter/softer may have the string last long enough to see the tension drop to the point where it has to be cut out.