PDA

View Full Version : Don't you guys hate when this happens?

TennisNinja
08-10-2009, 04:20 PM
In warm ups, you're hitting beautifully, tons of spin, power, and depth, barely missing, and your volleys are spot on too, hitting right where you want them, and then serving, you're just blasting away and getting huge amounts of kick on seconds, plus tons of spin on your slices as well. Basically, you're playing your game.

Then when it comes to the match, as soon as you start everything just goes wrong and you can't even get a shot in.

This happens to me quite a lot, it's just really frustrating.

Austin357
08-10-2009, 04:28 PM
i know the feeling it happend last week:(

TennisNinja
08-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Yep this past tournament I lost 2 straight which hasn't happened in months, and both times I was out there hitting really well, had done like 45 minutes of practice with my dad, and I was pumped up and ready to go but when the match started everything collapsed for me...

mcutilize
08-10-2009, 04:41 PM
i practice for an hour and half b4 match

warmup stretching and getting into the right mindset.

lol my serving was actually really good at amy yee i only double faulted like 5 times total.

and its alright u'll kill kato and nelson next time

flat
08-10-2009, 05:08 PM
i practice for an hour and half b4 match

warmup stretching and getting into the right mindset.

lol my serving was actually really good at amy yee i only double faulted like 5 times total.

and its alright u'll kill kato and nelson next time

I wonder about this topic sometimes. I know some people who warms up for 1+hr, some for 30min, some for 10min.

The reason for warmup is to get your blood running & sweating before the match, get some nervous energy out, so you are ready to go 100% on point #1.

But that's less than 15mins of good hitting for me...and assume for most people. I just don't see the value of hitting for 1+ hrs before a match, as I think it might tire you out more than need be. On top of that, if you mentally believe you need 1+ hrs of warm up, on days when you just can't do it (say you traffic or something you arrive late) isn't it a huge mental disadvantage for youself?

mcutilize
08-10-2009, 05:10 PM
I wonder about this topic sometimes. I know some people who warms up for 1+hr, some for 30min, some for 10min.

The reason for warmup is to get your blood running & sweating before the match, get some nervous energy out, so you are ready to go 100% on point #1.

But that's less than 15mins of good hitting for me...and assume for most people. I just don't see the value of hitting for 1+ hrs before a match, as I think it might tire you out more than need be. On top of that, if you mentally believe you need 1+ hrs of warm up, on days when you just can't do it (say you traffic or something you arrive late) isn't it a huge mental disadvantage for youself?

the 1 hour doesn't tire me out tho.

i dont believe i need 1 hour i choose to do the 1 hour so i can warm up everything to give me best chance of winning.

norcal22
08-11-2009, 06:30 PM
that happens to me all the time

SoCalDominates
08-11-2009, 06:35 PM
In warm ups, you're hitting beautifully, tons of spin, power, and depth, barely missing, and your volleys are spot on too, hitting right where you want them, and then serving, you're just blasting away and getting huge amounts of kick on seconds, plus tons of spin on your slices as well. Basically, you're playing your game.

Then when it comes to the match, as soon as you start everything just goes wrong and you can't even get a shot in.

This happens to me quite a lot, it's just really frustrating.

today I didnt have anyone one to warm up with and so i went into my match without hitting a ball all day. I warmed up unbelievable for the 5 minutes and was confident but then couldnt hit a ball. It sucks!

babolat15
08-11-2009, 07:51 PM
get a very complete warmup...then make sure you play more matches...your day to day consistency is the most important thing when it comes to climbing the rankings. the more you play the better this will become...also the fitter you are the better your body can maintain that same level

3lowdown
08-11-2009, 08:17 PM
i have no idea what level you are at, but in my experience this situation wont happen as often after 5 or so more tournaments.

I just started getting comfortable in big tournaments, since ive played so many this summer.

TennisNinja
08-12-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm actually playing my second year of tournaments, but I took a year off in between. I don't play very single tournament, and I only have played like 20 matches these past 12 months (singles and doubles combined)

scraps234
08-13-2009, 06:18 AM
happens to me all the time

BlakeMonfils4
08-13-2009, 07:20 PM
Ahh!!!! I know the feeling it just happened to me tonight. I warmed up well and played well the 1st set then everything just went wrong couldn't do anything. I hate it when it happens

TennisNinja
08-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Hmmm, today in both my matches my warm ups went so-so but then I played decent matches!

TennisNinja
08-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Well it happened again today. I was hitting the ball so well in warm ups and as soon as I started my service game I lost it all. And it was at sectionals too so frustrating.

psYcon
08-20-2009, 04:20 PM
I'll take a stab at this. I think the reason why this happens is because in an actual match the opponent will use different placement and spin compared to practice. In practice the opponent might not be using as much racquet-head speed to generate spin, and generally will be aiming the ball straight at you to continue a rally.

In a match, your opponent's goal is to try to put you in an awkward position as well as try to generate more spin. You can't necessarily apply the same tactics as you would while playing a practice rally.

tomas9848
08-22-2009, 01:44 PM
yeah i know the feeling.