PDA

View Full Version : String Reviews

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
08-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Hi. Im playtesting Genesis Spin X (just finished), and plan on testing Topspin Concept Pure next. (link to original thread, http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=279219&highlight=genesis+spin)

Some background info on me:
4.0-4.5 all courter. Big Forehand and prefers serve placement over speed. Comes up to net as much as i can. I put different amounts of topspin depending on what i need to do, i can hit flat or with a lot of topspin

(First 1.5 hours with spin x)
Groundstrokes- 7/10. They were mediocre. Nothing special. I don't think the texture gave any extra spin. Pretty good with directional control but thats about the only outstanding thing about it.

Volleys- 8/10. Another avg part of the string, feel isnt quite there.

Serve- 5/10. Absolutely miserable. Uneasy access to spin, placement was off, speed went down.

Overall, compared to my control string Pro Supex Big Ace, this string is rated below it for me. BA does everything better except maybe tension maintenance.

I plan to play with this string for a bit more and see if it requires a break-in time. I will update this after playing with it again.

I just tested the string out for 5 more hours and i have some different numbers now.
First off, serves were much better, I could get some nice speed off my flat serves although placement just wasnt there. Groundstrokes were about the same, maybe a little more pop but not a lot. Volleys now are 9/10. They have a pretty nice feel for a textured string and good touch.

Side note: Although Spin X is a textured string, there is really no outstanding difference to a regular poly. not really any extra spin and not really board-like.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Topspin Concept Pure

Stringing: Stringing was as easy as Big ace and bouncing the ball on the strings, there is a sense of increased dwell time. Hopefully there is a bit more spin off this string than with Spin X

Playtesting hours- 2 hours

Groundstrokes- 10/10- Spin is amazing, control is pinpoint, just enough power to put away balls when you need to. One of the best strings I have ever tried.

Volleys- 9/10- Great feel on volleys, you can send them deep or sharp angles with ease. Nice pop

Serve- 9/10- Nice spin, power and placement from this string. kick serves were nice and flat serves were bombs.

I played extensively with this string and have used 1 set for well past 15 hours and it is still playing almost as well when freshly strung. Great string imo.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________

Next string is Leopard control team 16.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
08-11-2009, 11:28 AM
bump. wow lol. not even a single view other than my own.

Casco
08-11-2009, 12:39 PM
I have a pack of Genesis Spin X that I have not yet strung, but it looks just like Signum Tornado except for the color and it even has the same diameter. Can only speculate, however.

bsardana
08-11-2009, 12:54 PM
I have a pack of Genesis Spin X that I have not yet strung, but it looks just like Signum Tornado except for the color and it even has the same diameter. Can only speculate, however.

They may look the same but don't play the same. Spin X is relatively stiff and more powerful than the Signum Tornado.

tennisstrngdude
08-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Huh? Never heard of these strings.

Birke
08-11-2009, 01:44 PM
I have a pack of Black Magic and Spin X I have yet to try.

I guess I'll wait until I get some new racquets in

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
08-11-2009, 02:04 PM
i have got to say, spin X is one of the worst strings i have tried

Audiophile
08-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Goes to show how much personal preference goes into things. I happen to really like Spin X so far, after about 6 hours. But, Wes gives Topspin Concept Pure a good review so I'm probably going to try it out and see how I like it. Interested to see how it compares. How's the tension holding on the Concept Pure?

BarryGT
08-11-2009, 02:17 PM
i have also recently tried spin X. Not that great, but it sure does keep tension and also don't move much.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
08-11-2009, 02:30 PM
well so far the tension on concept pure after 2 hours in relatively the same. i strung it up about 12 hours before i played with it. it felt a litile stiff in the first couple minutes, then loosened right up

Racer41c
08-11-2009, 02:57 PM
well so far the tension on concept pure after 2 hours in relatively the same. i strung it up about 12 hours before i played with it. it felt a litile stiff in the first couple minutes, then loosened right up

Thanks for the reviews Wes, the concept pure sounds really interesting to me, I'm looking for more spin without sacraficing everything else.

Question: have you tired black code?

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
08-11-2009, 03:50 PM
i actually have not. i might try it after the other two strings.
I have tried red code. but i hear its much softer

tennistomcat
08-11-2009, 05:46 PM
nice review. Topspin concept pure sounds like it'd fit well for me. may give it a try