PDA

View Full Version : Different tensions/strings in crosses and mains

m-tone
08-10-2009, 08:01 PM
I was just curious what happens if you string your racket with different tensions in the crosses and mains.

I was also curious as to why a stiffer string is usually put in the mains with a softer string in the crosses when doing hybrids. What would be the effect if you switched it around?

charliefedererer
08-10-2009, 08:15 PM
I was just curious what happens if you string your racket with different tensions in the crosses and mains.

As long as the tensions are only a few pounds different, this would not be a problem.

I was also curious as to why a stiffer string is usually put in the mains with a softer string in the crosses when doing hybrids. What would be the effect if you switched it around?

The string you put in the mains has the dominant effect. It seems most players want the poly in the mains for increased control and spin potential.
Putting a softer string, like natural gut or a multifilament, would give a softer feel, more power, and be easier on your arm.
Federer strings with natural gut in the mains and Big Banger Alu Power Rough in the crosses. He seems to have had reasonably good success with this set up.

Supracool94
08-11-2009, 01:51 PM
I string my Prestige Racquets at the following tensions:

Mains: Gut or Multi @ 58lbs

Crosses: Co-Poly @ 52.2 lbs (10% difference)

I never had a problem!

Blade0324
08-11-2009, 06:41 PM
I string my prestiges with Poly mains at 60 and multi or syn gut crosses at 63. HIgher tension in the crosses creates much less string movement.