PDA

View Full Version : Nadal Playing Doubles - a Double Edged Sword

bladepdb
08-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Great to see Nadal back in action, of course. I did not realize, though, that he would be taking on both the doubles and singles draws at Montreal. This caught be my surprise, especially since he's just coming back from a victory.

On one end, this is a good move to get back into the rhythm of playing tournaments again. He has a match he can expend to get back into his groove, test the waters, etc. However, on the flip side, he is recovering from an injury, and more court time will only hinder him.

That brings to light the issue of Nadal potentially excelling in doubles in the future to preserve his tennis career as a whole. Of course, doubles would be much lighter on the body as we see in players like Daniel Nestor and Bjorkman, who both had careers (and in the case of Nestor, has a career) well into their 30s. For Nadal, doubles tennis might be the most reasonable way to keep his name alive in the argument of tennis greats by having a longer career with potential doubles Grand Slam titles.

That said, tackling both doubles and singles in major events like Masters events could be heavily taxing on his body and shorten his career prospects in both fields. Sure, doubles is light on the body; but if his singles play is already taking such a toll on him, adding doubles will only make matters worse, especially in situations where he plays two matches a day. Moreover, this would only get worse if he were to go deep in both draws.

Thus, while Nadal has pretty decent prospects as a doubles player and already great prospects as a singles player, his career longevity could be influenced by how much he plays both. Perhaps playing more doubles and less singles could be a good move to extend his career. However, I would much rather see him in singles action and have him focus exclusively on singles during Masters events and (as he already does) during Grand Slams.

Blinkism
08-10-2009, 08:18 PM
I disagree because I'm under the impression that Nadal's first round doubles match was basically a practice session in disguise. He did, after all, play the match with his on-the-road coach Fransisco Roig (who coached him in Indian Wells/Miami).

From all accounts and after a quick glance at the score and stats, it seems that Nadal did not take it too hard and played very well. So I think it's more good news than bad news.

That being said, I am a Nadal fan so I'm biased.

flyinghippos101
08-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Complete and utter ********ness, hard courts are intense on the knees, so why potentially cause further injury by playing in both singles AND doubles? If your knees are what you have to trade for a legacy, then I'll take my knees any day and never look back

bladepdb
08-10-2009, 08:22 PM
I disagree because I'm under the impression that Nadal's first round doubles match was basically a practice session in disguise. He did, after all, play the match with his on-the-road coach Fransisco Roig (who coached him in Indian Wells/Miami).

From all accounts and after a quick glance at the score and stats, it seems that Nadal did not take it too hard and played very well. So I think it's more good news than bad news.

That being said, I am a Nadal fan so I'm biased.

Well I do hope it was just a practice session in disguises. However, he has been serious about doubles in the past, like sweeping Monte Carlo last year (or was it this? I'm pretty sure last year...).

Blinkism
08-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Well I do hope it was just a practice session in disguises. However, he has been serious about doubles in the past, like sweeping Monte Carlo last year (or was it this? I'm pretty sure last year...).

It was last year, but Nadal had a better doubles partner

I think Nadal's participation in this year's doubles tournament at the Rogers Cup is one of 2 things-

practice in disguise (so he's taking it easy, playing with his coach as partner)

or it's practice in disguise that turns into serious business should Nadal lose early in the singles but still remain in the doubles draw. In the second case, I'd fully expect Nadal to go for the doubles title.

egn
08-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Its good and bad. Good because he needs to get some time in and warm up. He hasn't played competitve tennis in a while and has been injuried so getting some time in on the courts at a competitive level just to get back into the swings of thing is good even if it means playing a bit more.

Bad because his problem is his knees, hardcourts and him don't get along and more time on them right after he is coming back after an apparently serious injury might be a bit of a strain.

bladepdb
08-10-2009, 08:30 PM
It was last year, but Nadal had a better doubles partner

I think Nadal's participation in this year's doubles tournament at the Rogers Cup is one of 2 things-

practice in disguise (so he's taking it easy, playing with his coach as partner)

or it's practice in disguise that turns into serious business should Nadal lose early in the singles but still remain in the doubles draw. In the second case, I'd fully expect Nadal to go for the doubles title.

I'd be happy with either, but concerned if he goes deep in both draws. Though he could always "throw" a match in doubles if he needed to without consequence.

drakulie
08-10-2009, 08:37 PM
yeah, he's injured. :roll:

FedFan_2009
08-10-2009, 09:50 PM
****** is still in a daze and doesn't know what the frak he's doing. He's punch-drunk.

Blinkism
08-10-2009, 10:06 PM
yeah, he's injured. :roll:

And just finished serving one of the shortest suspensions for doping in ATP history.

rafan
08-11-2009, 12:12 AM
Just seen the mini video and was really surprised had how good he looks as though it was the rest from the treadmill he needed as well as inury time out

Gen
08-11-2009, 01:02 AM
Rafa always said that he played doubles as a match practice only, to feel the court better and to get into the game. In fact his practice sessions are more strenuous than his double matches. Since he was off tennis for such a long time, he decided to have some competitive practice before he gets into his singles match. Don't see anything wrong about it.

jevonclyde
08-11-2009, 01:14 AM
Nadal was rocking the sleeveless shirt too. Maybe the El Matador a.k.a. El Toro is really back and means business. He has a great test right of the bat: either compatriot David Ferrer or Serb Viktor Troicki. Curious to see, even though I have no US coverage, what his opponent might do: a. exploite the fact that he hasn't played in a while b. wait and see what he does c. be in aw. d. play there own game.

rascaypica
08-11-2009, 01:56 AM
It seems to me a really good news for nadal fans because:

1º Once he´s out of the courts, it does not matter one week more or one less. If he is coming back to the courts, for sure, he can do it (it does not mean 100%)

2º Playing doubles, is less than 50% hard for his knees than playing singles, and you do not need to be going to one side to another therefore his knees will not suffer at all.

3º His partner is his own coach... it means how seriously he is playing the match.

4º Many of the GOAT had explein the benefits of playing doubles, in terms of improving your skills... so this must be really good training.

5º I think he is not even thinking in winning the singles no the doubles, just play some games at 80% then 85%, then 90%, and so on.... in order to reach US OPEN with real posibilities to win it. THe problem is, if he plays confident, because he dont give a sit if he loose, he could start passing rounds "unintentionally", and exceed what he programed.... And in case of Nadal and his fighter spirit this could really happen.

Anyway, we should wellcome Rafa in the benefit of the spectacle

jevonclyde
08-11-2009, 05:05 AM
Mr. Roig is 41 years old. Big UP to ol' folks still hacking on the court and hanging with the young gunz. It gives me hope and motivation...

drakulie
08-11-2009, 06:28 AM
And just finished serving one of the shortest suspensions for doping in ATP history.

We may never know, but one thing is for certain>>> he sure as heck wasn't injured. No one who is so badly injured they had to pull out of wimbledon, is on a practice court playing tennis while that same tournament is underway. And sure as heck don't come back practicing for hours, then playing doubles, then practices for hours the next day, and then plays singles.

thejoe
08-11-2009, 06:32 AM
To be fair, if I hadn't hit a competitive ball and I was now fit, I would be playing doubles too.

Aabye
08-11-2009, 06:39 AM
We may never know, but one thing is for certain>>> he sure as heck wasn't injured. No one who is so badly injured they had to pull out of wimbledon, is on a practice court playing tennis while that same tournament is underway. And sure as heck don't come back practicing for hours, then playing doubles, then practices for hours the next day, and then plays singles.

Good morn, drak! He wasn't on the practice court, and he has often done this overplaying after recovering from an injury. Are you saying he has never been injured?

Anyway, as to the OP...the question was posed in another thread about whether or not playing doubles was a stupid decision and I was one of the first to say it was absolutely an idiotic idea. But now that I think about it, it might not be as stupid as I first thought. A lot of people have noted that Nadal plays very aggressively when he plays doubles. And since he needs to play more aggressively on hard courts anyway, and since his confidence is probably shot, maybe, MAYBE playing doubles is not a bad idea. We will only know if he loses badly in the singles tomorrow.

P_Agony
08-11-2009, 06:46 AM
To be fair, if I hadn't hit a competitive ball and I was now fit, I would be playing doubles too.

Huh? If you aren't fully recovered yet and you are about to drop in the rankings, wouldn't you focus on the singles tourny to try and gain some points (or not lose a lot) rather than playing pointless doubles sessions?

You go on record saying it is nearly impossible to win Montreal or the US Open, because you aren't fully recovered, yet you play doubles. That doesn't you a lot of credit.

bladepdb
08-11-2009, 06:50 AM
Huh? If you aren't fully recovered yet and you are about to drop in the rankings, wouldn't you focus on the singles tourny to try and gain some points (or not lose a lot) rather than playing pointless doubles sessions?

You go on record saying it is nearly impossible to win Montreal or the US Open, because you aren't fully recovered, yet you play doubles. That doesn't you a lot of credit.

You can only focus so much on singles if you haven't played competitively for over two months.

drakulie
08-11-2009, 06:51 AM
Good morn, drak! He wasn't on the practice court,

Top of the morning to you.

So, you're saying he hasn't been on a practice court while at the Rogers Cup? There has already been several reports, including photos posted of him practicing while there.

P_Agony
08-11-2009, 06:53 AM
You can only focus so much on singles if you haven't played competitively for over two months.

If I were Nadal I would try my best to save my rankings, and if I was going to play dobules as well, I wouldn't have gone on record saying I'm not fully fit and well recovered and providing pre excuses so that any loss of him will not be counted as legitimate.

rosenstar
08-11-2009, 07:00 AM
or maybe he's just trying to make some money. He probably lost close to a million dollars in potential prize money due to his time out. I'm not sure of his financial situation, and I'm not saying he's financial hurting, but if he's working on a budget, or just wants the money for whatever reason, maybe doubles is the easiest way to get it.

This is all purely speculation though

Aabye
08-11-2009, 07:04 AM
Top of the morning to you.

So, you're saying he hasn't been on a practice court while at the Rogers Cup? There has already been several reports, including photos posted of him practicing while there.

No, he wasn't practicing during Wimbledon. Of course he is practicing during Rogers Cup since is playing the tournament after all.

rascaypica
08-11-2009, 07:20 AM

During last two months, I have been hearing Nadal and his cach saying, that ATP points are not a priority, Federer is far, so the most important thing is to get the shap to win bigs... then, points will come back.

Offtopic: I think ranking is a marketing tool to make any small tournament more important than he really is, publicity and that stuff

drakulie
08-11-2009, 07:21 AM
No, he wasn't practicing during Wimbledon.

uhmmmm, yes he was, according to the report on the video I have provided several times.

Aabye
08-11-2009, 07:24 AM
uhmmmm, yes he was, according to the report on the video I have provided several times.

No, I've watched that vid almost every time you posted it, and all it said was that he was recuperating and doing physical therapy such as swimming.

cknobman
08-11-2009, 07:29 AM
I dont think this is going to really be bad for him. He needs match time and doubles is more of a bonafied practice session anyways. Short points, short sets, and a tiebreaker for the 3rd. Nadal will have trouble staying warm.

drakulie
08-11-2009, 07:38 AM
No, I've watched that vid almost every time you posted it, and all it said was that he was recuperating and doing physical therapy such as swimming.

Don't pretend, that just because you don't speak/read spanish that this reporter says what you conveniently want him to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtxK2Y992PQ

June 26, 2009
Title of report:
Rafa Nadal trabaja duro para su recuperación
Translation: Rafael Nadal works hard for his recuperation.

In the video he clearly states, and in the bubbles where the "spanish" translation is, it states, "Rafa has renounced Queens, and has lost Wimbledon, but all things come. Rafa plans on playing in the Davis Cup finals against Germany in two weeks. Nadal continues with his treatment, he continues training (practicing), and spending hours and hours in a gym, as well as pool completing exercises for his treatment. If all goes well, and his knees repsond, he will be playing against germany July 10."

of course, you will probably come back and say he was "training/practicing" for ping pong, or some other doo-doo.

Also, it states, Rafa Nadal trabaja para recuperar su rodilla con vistas a poder estar listo en 15 días y poder jugar en Marbella la eliminatoria de Copa Davis.

Translation: Rafa works on recuping his knees, with aspirations of being ready in 15 days to play Davis Cup.

Terr
08-11-2009, 07:56 AM

Just because it's almost impossible to win singles Montreal and USO, doesn't mean he can't play doubles.

That's ridiculous. Doubles is obviously easier on the body because you don't have to cover as much ground. Why should Nadal play doubles? After all, it gives him a better indication of how recovered his knees really are.

If I were Nadal I would try my best to save my rankings, and if I was going to play dobules as well, I wouldn't have gone on record saying I'm not fully fit and well recovered and providing pre excuses so that any loss of him will not be counted as legitimate.

It never for one second occured to you that maybe - just maybe - Nadal doesn't think he's going to win either of these tournaments. But he'd like to give it a try anyway. Perhaps his ranking doesn't matter to him. If he recovers fully he can always regain his ranking in the future.

Blinkism
08-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Don't pretend, that just because you don't speak/read spanish that this reporter says what you conveniently want him to.

June 26, 2009
Title of report:

In the video he clearly states, and in the bubbles where the "spanish" translation is, it states, "Rafa has renounced Queens, and has lost Wimbledon, but all things come. Rafa plans on playing in the Davis Cup finals against Germany in two weeks. Nadal continues with his treatment, he continues training (practicing), and spending hours and hours in a gym, as well as pool completing exercises for his treatment. If all goes well, and his knees repsond, he will be playing against germany July 10."

of course, you will probably come back and say he was "training/practicing" for ping pong, or some other doo-doo.

Also, it states, Rafa Nadal trabaja para recuperar su rodilla con vistas a poder estar listo en 15 días y poder jugar en Marbella la eliminatoria de Copa Davis.

Translation: Rafa works on recuping his knees, with aspirations of being ready in 15 days to play Davis Cup.

And that's what you base your whole crazy conspiracy theory on?

Oh, wow... An injured tennis player with a history of injury rehabilitating himself with exercise- but finding that it may take a little longer to heal up than he wishes, thus making him miss not only 1 major event but also a davis cup tie.

That's SO suspicious!

The steroids tie-in makes perfect sense now!

No need for the "articles" from laptop girl, drakulie.

You've cracked the case wide open, now go break the story!

drakulie
08-11-2009, 10:24 AM
That's SO suspicious!

of course it is. Why would someone who is "injured" be playing tennis?

Of course, you have never played tennis, and just started following the sport not too long ago, so you wouldn't understand that playing tennis while having a knee injury would be extremely painful, and would lead to more injury.

sureshs
08-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Great to see Nadal back in action, of course. I did not realize, though, that he would be taking on both the doubles and singles draws at Montreal. This caught be my surprise, especially since he's just coming back from a victory.

On one end, this is a good move to get back into the rhythm of playing tournaments again. He has a match he can expend to get back into his groove, test the waters, etc. However, on the flip side, he is recovering from an injury, and more court time will only hinder him.

That brings to light the issue of Nadal potentially excelling in doubles in the future to preserve his tennis career as a whole. Of course, doubles would be much lighter on the body as we see in players like Daniel Nestor and Bjorkman, who both had careers (and in the case of Nestor, has a career) well into their 30s. For Nadal, doubles tennis might be the most reasonable way to keep his name alive in the argument of tennis greats by having a longer career with potential doubles Grand Slam titles.

That said, tackling both doubles and singles in major events like Masters events could be heavily taxing on his body and shorten his career prospects in both fields. Sure, doubles is light on the body; but if his singles play is already taking such a toll on him, adding doubles will only make matters worse, especially in situations where he plays two matches a day. Moreover, this would only get worse if he were to go deep in both draws.

Thus, while Nadal has pretty decent prospects as a doubles player and already great prospects as a singles player, his career longevity could be influenced by how much he plays both. Perhaps playing more doubles and less singles could be a good move to extend his career. However, I would much rather see him in singles action and have him focus exclusively on singles during Masters events and (as he already does) during Grand Slams.

You are assuming his practice level is the same. Need not be. He might be using the dubs as practice.

Aabye
08-11-2009, 10:43 AM

June 26, 2009
Title of report:

*Phew* And here I thought my Spanish was worse than it is. NO! It does not say he is practicing, it says he is training. It then goes on to say he is spending hours in the pool and gym. NOT ON THE COURTS! So, a recovering athlete should not be in the gym doing low stress activities? Please.

jevonclyde
08-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Just checked the 'highligths' of the doubles match (atpworldtour.com) and it was just close-up of feeds just Nadal in action...Understandable, but goodness. Show the glimpses of the other players in acton.

sureshs
08-11-2009, 10:51 AM
It is an old strategy, followed by greats like Laver and MacEnroe. Both have said that they played dubs and mixed dubs instead of practising. Today's singles game is so demanding that this may not be possible, except in tryout situations like this one where Nadal is trying to test and see.

bladepdb
08-11-2009, 05:27 PM
Or maybe Nadal's gonna be like JMac and pull some doubles GS titles. That'd be nice.

Dan007
08-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Mr. Roig is 41 years old. Big UP to ol' folks still hacking on the court and hanging with the young gunz. It gives me hope and motivation...

Isn't Roig Nadal's coach from time to time when Toni is not with him?

bladepdb
08-11-2009, 08:14 PM

Yep.

And of course Nadal/Roig lost so we can all sleep soundly that he won't be crimped by having two matches daily.

rommil
08-11-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm surpised Rafa is not playing mixed doubles .

drakulie
08-12-2009, 06:20 AM
*Phew* And here I thought my Spanish was worse than it is. NO! It does not say he is practicing, it says he is training. It then goes on to say he is spending hours in the pool and gym. NOT ON THE COURTS! So, a recovering athlete should not be in the gym doing low stress activities? Please.

Like I said, just knew you would come back with something stupid. Guess you are right>>> he is training playing ping-pong in case the "tennis thing" doesn't go well, he has something to fall back on. :roll:

zagor
08-12-2009, 06:44 AM

I'm surprised as well,it's a clear sign he's not 100%.If he was he would play mixed on top of doubles and singles.

rascaypica
08-12-2009, 07:16 AM
It is so funny.

Many people here does not have a clue what is sports about or what??

When you have an injury, you stop and recover, then, you start your physical training even with some pain, and then you start with practicing.... and finnally you start with your first official matches with pain also, but you can keep getting in tune, the pain is desapearing as time goes by.

What I mean, is you cant stop until you dont feel any pain, it is impossible...

I was surgered in my shoulder, and I played half of the season with terrible pain in that shoulder already recovered, but as I was reaching the middle season I was completely fine playing 120% with some pain but tolerable.

When Nadal says he is not 100% does not mean his Knee is 100%, it means HE is not 100% because he has to get into the competition, the only way to get into is playing, so dubs, is perfect.

rommil
08-12-2009, 07:18 AM
It is so funny.

When you have an injury, you stop and recover, then, you start your physical training even with some pain, and then you start with practicing.... and finnally you start with your first official matches with pain also, but you can keep getting in tune, the pain is desapearing as time goes by.

I was surgered in my shoulder, and I played half of the season with terrible pain in that shoulder already recovered, but as I was reaching the middle season I was completely fine playing 120% with some pain but tolerable.

When Nadal says he is not 100% does not mean his Knee is 100%, it means HE is not 100% because he has to get into the competition, the only way to get into is playing, so dubs, is perfect.
So when you play your best, with no injury, would you say you were playing about 250%?

Lifted
08-12-2009, 07:23 AM
Here's some snippets of Tiny Tim playing doubles with old man Roig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5Pk8Wqqkok

drakulie
08-12-2009, 07:24 AM
It is so funny.

Problem is, nadal withdrew from wimbledon because of a so-called "injury", and yet a few days later was seen on a practice court "training". He didn't "stop and recover".

In fact, he and his doctors stated after the French Open, he was "injured', and needed 3-4 weeks rest. However, he went on to play two exos. After the second exo, he withdrew from wimbledon, and again he and his doctors stated he was "injured", and once again stated he needed 3-4 weeks. But, like I said, he was already playing a few days later.

yes, aabye>>> I know>>>> he was training for ping-pong.:roll:

Terr
08-12-2009, 07:57 AM

There are times when Toni's not with Rafa?

:shock:

This is news to me.

Terr
08-12-2009, 08:02 AM
Problem is, nadal withdrew from wimbledon because of a so-called "injury", and yet a few days later was seen on a practice court "training". He didn't "stop and recover".

In fact, he and his doctors stated after the French Open, he was "injured', and needed 3-4 weeks rest. However, he went on to play two exos. After the second exo, he withdrew from wimbledon, and again he and his doctors stated he was "injured", and once again stated he needed 3-4 weeks. But, like I said, he was already playing a few days later.

You're a real narcissist, aren't you? Does every Nadal thread have to be about you and your steroid theory?

rascaypica
08-12-2009, 08:05 AM

yes, aabye>>> I know>>>> he was training for ping-pong.:roll:

And so what? what do you suggest,with so-called? I dont understand yoour point, what bother you so much about Stop and go with some dubs to get in tune.....

rascaypica
08-12-2009, 08:10 AM
You're a real narcissist, aren't you? Does every Nadal thread have to be about you and your steroid theory?

ops!!! I didnt know this "talk about dopping" tendency from Drakulie.... Good to know:cool:

drakulie
08-12-2009, 08:14 AM
And so what? what do you suggest,with so-called? I dont understand yoour point, what bother you so much about Stop and go with some dubs to get in tune.....

uhmmmmmm, you said, "When you have an injury, you stop and recover".

I responded by saying, Nadal never "stopped and recovered" after he said he was injured.

Do you even understand your own post?

drakulie
08-12-2009, 08:15 AM

when did I mention steroids in my post???

Are you seeing things?? Perhaps you should go see a doctor about this.

Terr
08-12-2009, 08:23 AM
when did I mention steroids in my post???

Are you seeing things?? Perhaps you should go see a doctor about this.

You should stop trying to save yourself. You've built a solid reputation as the 'steroids guy'.

rascaypica
08-12-2009, 08:27 AM
uhmmmmmm, you said, "When you have an injury, you stop and recover".

I responded by saying, Nadal never "stopped and recovered" after he said he was injured.

Do you even understand your own post?

"STOP competition" I mean...... a sportsman will stop only when sleeping, get old or dead.

Even with a broken leg, they exercise the other parts of their body.
Ligament injuries main problem is the pain, therefore he can go to the gym, swim, or even play at low level with no problem while curing is problem.

I hope you finnally understand.:???:

drakulie
08-12-2009, 08:33 AM
You should stop trying to save yourself. You've built a solid reputation as the 'steroids guy'.

Please show me where in my post that you quoted, did I mention "steroids". I suppose my other posts about steroids are starting to get on people minds, which explains why **YOU** bring it up now. Guilty conscience??

"STOP competition" I mean...... a sportsman will stop only when sleeping, get old or dead.

Oh, I see. You mean like, Bill Tilden?? He is currently sleeping 6 feet under. A little "injury" called "death" got in his way. But no worries, he is still "training other parts of his body" while he recovers from death, in preparation for next year. :roll:

Terr
08-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Please show me where in my post that you quoted, did I mention "steroids". I suppose my other posts about steroids are starting to get on people minds, which explains why **YOU** bring it up now. Guilty conscience??

Yes. I'm sorry. I feel very guilty that you think Nadal is on steroids. Please accept my sincere apologies. Mere mortals like myself will never question your illogical BS from this point forth, so help me God.

I'm very sorry to the OP and other posters for getting off topic. Continue with the merriments! (I think that's a neologism...)

drakulie
08-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Yes. I'm sorry.

You should be, because I didn't bring up the steroids>>> You did.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x89/edwardbayntun/gifs/SavingPrivateRyan2.gif

Sentinel
08-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Currently he could even qualify for the wheelchair title and the Special Olympics. That would make a true career slam like even Rod Laver doesn't have.... the Nadal super-slam.

j/k. didn't mean to be mean.

All-rounder
08-12-2009, 12:01 PM

Even with a broken leg, they exercise the other parts of their body.
Ligament injuries main problem is the pain, therefore he can go to the gym, swim, or even play at low level with no problem while curing is problem.

I hope you finnally understand.:???:
He can do all those things but he can't play a tennis match :-?

sureshs
08-12-2009, 01:56 PM
I guess Nadal had enough time to cleanse his system and that is why he ventured into Montreal.

Viper
08-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Even as a Federer fan, the thing I've always liked about Nadal is that he gives a crap about doubles.Definitely something more top players should do.