PDA

View Full Version : Pros don't have to have one extra ball?

Eph
08-10-2009, 08:51 PM
I was at Coupe Roger today and was watching a match between Celic and his opponent (Russian), and he never had an extra ball on him. Why?

He always asked for another ball if he faulted.

JeMar
08-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Some pros do that. Most will have an extra ball in their pocket, though.

ScovilleJenkins
08-10-2009, 08:53 PM
i remember a few years back at the us open juan monaco lost a ball from his pocket not once, but twice and i believe it came at a crucial point and cost him a point.

imalil2gangsta4u
08-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Mostly women do it, but some guys too. They dont like the feeling of the ball in their pocket i guess. Ive always found that not having another ball on me breaks my rhythm.

slicefox
08-10-2009, 08:57 PM
rythm thing is BS

playing with a ball on your leg is dumb, either it jiggles around if your pants are loose, or tightens the pants onto your nutsack if the pants are tighter.

either way it isn't helpful. if you got ballboys why carry a ball?

ubermeyer
08-10-2009, 10:00 PM
It is distracting to run around with a ball in your pocket. I never do this if I can help it, and only carry one in my pocket for tennis tryouts, because the coaches would probably think it displayed "poor sportsmanship" not to. The reason I can usually get away with this is because I push my 1st serves and as a result their percentage is over 99.5.

CountryHillbilly
08-10-2009, 10:29 PM
So, they just take a new ball whenever they missed the first serve. Isn't that wasting time a bit?

In the old days, they used to carry the ball in their hand. Graf did it:

http://z.about.com/d/tennis/1/0/C/F/steffi-graf.jpg

veritech
08-10-2009, 10:51 PM
^^^ yeah, in the old days having an extra ball on the court wasn't a violation. i've seen matches in the 70's where sometimes a ball would fall out of a player's pocket and play would continue.

rommil
08-10-2009, 10:54 PM
So, they just take a new ball whenever they missed the first serve. Isn't that wasting time a bit?

Also a lot of players now hit 2 handed backhands.

rommil
08-10-2009, 10:57 PM
I was at Coupe Roger today and was watching a match between Celic and his opponent (Russian), and he never had an extra ball on him. Why?

Some men don't put it in their pocket so the other guy might not think he's happy to see him.

CountryHillbilly
08-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Is there anyone who carries an extra ball in his/her hand today? Is it even allowed?

Bothsidesx2hands
08-10-2009, 11:35 PM
Is there anyone who carries an extra ball in his/her hand today? Is it even allowed?

Santoro takes the ball out of his pocket sometimes during a rally which is wierd since he's a twohander.

egn
08-10-2009, 11:36 PM

would doubt it and not sure if it is banned but with the massive amount of two handed back handers i doubt any could. Considering the men don't need to do that cause of pocekts and most of the women can't hit a one handed back hand to save their lives.

textbook strokes
08-11-2009, 12:36 AM
ten chars..

jevonclyde
08-11-2009, 07:16 AM

Ditto with Sampras

OroDeSantoro
08-11-2009, 09:42 AM

I've been noticing that lately in the ATP... off the top of my head, Almagro and Kohlschreiber do this as well

Terr
08-11-2009, 09:43 AM

I think you're talking about Youzhny. That guy is a psycho. Refer to head bashign incident.

Eph
08-11-2009, 09:46 AM
I think you're talking about Youzhny. That guy is a psycho. Refer to head bashign incident.

Yes, him.

He didn't seem graceful on the court. I was rooting for Celic but he lost it mentally.

dropserve
08-11-2009, 09:53 AM
If the ball falls from your pocket during the point, the first time the point is repeated but from the second time on you lose the point

S H O W S T O P P E R !
08-11-2009, 10:00 AM
They have ballboys ready to toss them a ball when they need one.

Terr
08-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Really?? Thats weird, i have always believed every guy has only 2 balls:twisted:

I really like you more and more with each post I read. :D

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-11-2009, 10:11 AM
You do?:) Thanx, and i would have been even more flattered if you were a girl/woman! But thanx anyway

Terr
08-11-2009, 10:19 AM
You do?:) Thanx, and i would have been even more flattered if you were a girl/woman! But thanx anyway

I am a girl/woman. I don't know which yet though...

We'll just pretend I'm Britney Spears 'til I decide.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-11-2009, 10:22 AM

You are!? Thats nice!:) Yeah some 30 year old females are still girls and some 18 year old females are women. Im a guy, maybe a man soon...definetely not a boy!

the green god
08-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Man, I thought this thread was about a completely different topic. My bad.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Thats alright, i forgive you.

Terr
08-11-2009, 10:33 AM
They have ballboys ready to toss them a ball when they need one.

I love your sig. I have a friend who went to Harrow. He's a real bore. :) But the Eaton guys are worse.

Terr
08-11-2009, 10:33 AM

We hijacked it.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-11-2009, 10:44 AM
We hijacked it.
Where are you from Britney?

darthpwner
08-11-2009, 12:44 PM

i have a nasty feeling seeing that picture:twisted:

darthpwner
08-11-2009, 12:45 PM

i have a 1 hander and my coach said that in itf it is illegal to carry a ball in ur hand.

darthpwner
08-11-2009, 12:48 PM
10 characters

darthpwner
08-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Really?? Thats weird, i have always believed every guy has only 2 balls:twisted:

You are!? Thats nice!:) Yeah some 30 year old females are still girls and some 18 year old females are women. Im a guy, maybe a man soon...definetely not a boy!

this thread is dirty

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-11-2009, 01:25 PM
this thread is dirty
Noo, its not, its very innocent...:twisted: