PDA

View Full Version : After you set the anchor clamp and tension the other main..

IwishIwasbetter
08-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Lets say i set the anchor clamp on the first left main and then tension the first right main. What is the next step you do? Do you tension the left main with the anchor clamp on it or do you tension another right main so you have two right mains tensioned and zero left mains tensioned? Does it matter? Also, when you do end up tensioning the first left main , you do tension it while the anchor clamp is still clamped to the string right? Thanks

jim e
08-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Lets say i set the anchor clamp on the first left main and then tension the first right main. What is the next step you do? Do you tension the left main with the anchor clamp on it or do you tension another right main so you have two right mains tensioned and zero left mains tensioned? Does it matter? Also, when you do end up tensioning the first left main , you do tension it while the anchor clamp is still clamped to the string right? Thanks

After I set the anchor clamp, I tension the right main(1st tensioned string), then I tension another right main, this then has one string between the clamps, and allows enough room for both clamps to be right next to the racquet frame, as I feel it will then give you a better tension than if you did the 2 right next to each other, then you would need to stagger the clamps as there would be lack of room to place both clamps next to each other.I then tension the opposite side main.The USRSA states that you can string 3 on a side before you need to go to the opposite side, and this is only 2.

Your 2nd question is yes,you leave the anchor clamp still clamped when you pull tension, otherwise you loose all tension.

Steve Huff
08-10-2009, 10:15 PM
I'm assuming you have a crank machine. So as not to lose tension, tension the 2 right side mains as Jim said. Then, tension the 1st left main with the clamp. Before taking if off, begin tensioning the same string again, this time, releasing the clamp as you tension. Wait til the last second. You'll be able to time it right with a few practices. If you have constant pull, you don't need to go to this trouble. It will start pulling again as soon as you release the clamp.

trapped
08-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Never knew that you should only do 3 at a time. I always do the whole short side but i notice some deformation... I guess Ill do 3 now!

dancraig
08-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Never knew that you should only do 3 at a time. I always do the whole short side but i notice some deformation... I guess Ill do 3 now!

You're lucky you haven't had a problem.

trapped
08-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Yeah, I recently started stringing for people and am extremely happy I havn't broken a frame.

Il Mostro
08-11-2009, 07:15 AM
Wow! Just wow.

namartens
08-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Woops.

I recently bought a stringer again but I hadn't strung a racket for more than 7 years. Only string my own rackets but I already did two of them where I tensioned the whole short side of the mains before going to the left mains and the crosses. What exactly is the problem with this? Is my racket head deformed now??

zapvor
08-11-2009, 07:10 PM
i knwo someone that does this too. i told him he needs to start in th emiddle but whoever showed him how to do it has made him do it this way now since he doesnt know the right way.

its not a good idea to do one side at all because you place all the tension and stress on one side of the racket. imagine pulling 50-60lbs all on one side of the racket only. it can easily deform,etc