PDA

View Full Version : short side vs long side

bab pure drive roddick
08-11-2009, 07:06 AM
can someone explain to me what the significance of the short side vs the long side for stringing is? i just learned to string but i think i should figure out what it is. thanks

pvaudio
08-11-2009, 07:32 AM
It's only particularly important for a one-piece stringing job. When starting your mains with 40ft of string, you are obviously going to string the right half of the frame, then the left half, then you'll start your crosses. On one side of the frame, however, you're going to end up tying off your mains once you're done with that half. That's going to be your short side. In most cases, you can assume it to be 10 feet (10 feet for either side of the mains, 20 feet for the crosses), however there are other cases where this doesn't apply. For a 2-piece job, the short side is just half of the 20 foot length, aka also 10 feet.

edit: I don't mean string all of one side of the mains, then go to the other, I mean do one string per side at a time.

bab pure drive roddick
08-11-2009, 07:52 AM
It's only particularly important for a one-piece stringing job. When starting your mains with 40ft of string, you are obviously going to string the right half of the frame, then the left half, then you'll start your crosses. On one side of the frame, however, you're going to end up tying off your mains once you're done with that half. That's going to be your short side. In most cases, you can assume it to be 10 feet (10 feet for either side of the mains, 20 feet for the crosses), however there are other cases where this doesn't apply. For a 2-piece job, the short side is just half of the 20 foot length, aka also 10 feet.

thanks, i guess i just didn't know what it actually meant but i know how to do it haha.