PDA

View Full Version : Commentators being paid to not talk about painjobs?

nhat8121
08-11-2009, 09:55 AM
why are they talking as if they have no idea it's a paintjob at all?

I'm watching Murray play atm and some dude talk about how Murray really loved his old racquet and is still getting use to the new Youtek racquet since switching after Wimbledon. You know, why the hell would he switch if he really love the old racquet lol. Is the subject so taboo that they can't talk about it or they're just reallly dumb?

flyinghippos101
08-11-2009, 09:58 AM
Didn't you hear? Head bought commentators in a multimillion dollar deal this year.

sureshs
08-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Both.

Many really don't know as much about racquets as we do. It is a fact.

They also try to please commercial interests, else they would become an ex-commentator very soon.

Commando Tennis Shorts
08-11-2009, 10:21 AM
^^^^very true. you'd be surprised by the amount of commentators who have no idea that paintjobs exist

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Didn't you hear? Head bought commentators in a multimillion dollar deal this year.
Really? do u have a link to the article somewhere??

フェデラー
08-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Really? do u have a link to the article somewhere??

http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/15460.16ozCottonDeckMop_4.jpg

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-11-2009, 10:28 AM
http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/15460.16ozCottonDeckMop_4.jpg
U mean brushed under the carpet?:shock:

stanfordtennis alum
08-11-2009, 10:34 AM
haha... not everything they say is the truth and many still have contracts with the racquet companies

nhat8121
08-11-2009, 10:40 AM
^^^commentators have contracts with racquet companies?

BHud
08-11-2009, 10:48 AM
I recall Luke Jenson calling the matches in one of the Canadien tournaments several years back saying that "with the new Wilson nCodes, the pros could really paint the lines more consistently". And yes, Luke was sponsored by Wilson at the time.

フェデラー
08-11-2009, 11:21 AM
U mean brushed under the carpet?:shock:

M.agic O.f P.recision = MOP

federer envies me
08-11-2009, 11:24 AM
racket reps are doing the same thing these days. I was talking to a babolat rep in cincy yesterday who was persistent in saying that Nadal actually uses Cortex. I even showed the guy a picture of a painted on cortex from my iphone and he still wouldnt believe me.

dirtballer
08-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Tennis commentaters are a little like like commentaters for professional wrestling. They're not really journalists - they're part of the show and paint jobs are part of the show.

NamRanger
08-11-2009, 02:42 PM
If you watch the Tennis Channel and listen carefully to some of the stringers who appear at times on that channel, they do imply that most professional players have paint jobs.

In fact, Andy Roddick in many interviews himself says that nearly everyone uses a paint job.

フェデラー
08-11-2009, 02:49 PM
In reality the only players I know that dont use paint jobs are; Federer, Davydenko, and Monfils. But in the end all players rackets are heavily customized.

NamRanger
08-11-2009, 02:50 PM
In reality the only players I know that dont use paint jobs are; Federer, Davydenko, and Monfils. But in the end all players rackets are heavily customized.

Federer does use a PJ. He has a customized Wilson racquet exclusively for made for him.

Davydenko indeed is one of the few guys who I know that actually doesn't use a PJ.

pound cat
08-11-2009, 03:06 PM
why are they talking as if they have no idea it's a paintjob at all?

I'm watching Murray play atm and some dude talk about how Murray really loved his old racquet and is still getting use to the new Youtek racquet since switching after Wimbledon. You know, why the hell would he switch if he really love the old racquet lol. Is the subject so taboo that they can't talk about it or they're just reallly dumb?

err...love this thread..painjobs...does that mean fake injuries???????

フェデラー
08-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Federer does use a PJ. He has a customized Wilson racquet exclusively for made for him.

Davydenko indeed is one of the few guys who I know that actually doesn't use a PJ.

Last time i heard he uses a stock K90 that is specially selected, and then lead tape, etc is added, along with new butt cap L3 grip etc.

lawrence
08-11-2009, 04:06 PM
racket reps are doing the same thing these days. I was talking to a babolat rep in cincy yesterday who was persistent in saying that Nadal actually uses Cortex. I even showed the guy a picture of a painted on cortex from my iphone and he still wouldnt believe me.

lmao, what was his excuse?

Nanshiki
08-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Federer is one of the few pros at his level that uses a retail racquet... but modified. Most of the others in the top 20 use a previous model or something totally custom (ALA Blake and Djokovic).

Much, much lower ranked pros generally use their real racquets though. But sometimes they're special-made for pros, like Pure Drives with painted cortex's.

wyutani
08-11-2009, 04:19 PM
i assume talking about paintjob is kinda rude. a taboo.

NamRanger
08-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Last time i heard he uses a stock K90 that is specially selected, and then lead tape, etc is added, along with new butt cap L3 grip etc.

No, it certainly is not a K90. It's similar, but it's still different. Not a stock in the slightest though.

フェデラー
08-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Brad Gilbert always talks about string jobs, but never the rackets.

BreakPoint
08-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Davydenko does indeed use a paintjob. His racquet is longer than the retail version.

BreakPoint
08-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Only if you consider adding some lead tape to the hoop a "customized" racquet. Otherwise, it's a stock retail K90, which Wilson makes millions of for anyone that wants one.

Yes, Davydenko uses a paintjob.

BreakPoint
08-11-2009, 04:51 PM
No, it certainly is not a K90. It's similar, but it's still different. Not a stock in the slightest though.
Um...sorry, it's the SAME K90 that's sold in the stores. This has been confirmed many times already on this board.

フェデラー
08-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Only if you consider adding some lead tape to the hoop a "customized" racquet. Otherwise, it's a stock retail K90, which Wilson makes millions of for anyone that wants one.

Yes, Davydenko uses a paintjob.

I heard the ports on his 03 are real and not painted on.

BreakPoint
08-11-2009, 04:56 PM
I heard the ports on his 03 are real and not painted on.
The ports are real, but it's not a racquet you can buy in the stores.