PDA

View Full Version : Peter Polansky?

2ndserveace
08-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Anyone ever heard of this guy? He looks pretty solid to me.

Camnation
08-11-2009, 01:56 PM
I guess you're not Canadian.

maximo
08-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Yep, the guys got potential.

2ndserveace
08-11-2009, 02:05 PM
I guess you're not Canadian.
Nope, but I love you guys' bacon.

pabletion
08-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Im a "fans"..... Was lucky enough to see him play here at home in 2007 and 2008 where he won the local futures twice in a row. Ive been kinda followin his results since and hoping to see him finally in a big event. He qualified for the first time in his career to GS events, in Australia and France. Hes had bad luck injury-wise, canadian fellows can confirm this and maybe elaborate.
Neverthelesss, its great to see him playin one of the big daughs, hes got a very solid game. What I remember from two years ago, great FH, which now its a much improved rocket launcher, and dependable serve, now improved and solid. Id like to see him get into the top 100 this year or the next, I think he can.

Camnation
08-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Er... thanks! :D

MajinX
08-11-2009, 02:38 PM
he has potential, him and dancevic occasionally play on the davis cup team. good canadian junior.

フェデラー
08-11-2009, 02:38 PM
whats this guy's rank?

clayman2000
08-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Peter is a solid player who has been fighting his whole life. He was a late bloomer. I remember in 06 when he got his 1st Roger Cup Wildcard, he was not even seen as Canadas top young gun. He has risen about 600 spots in the last year.

He has a big serve, big FH. His BH is solid. He does not approach net a lot. He is not big, but is not as small as he is percieved to be. His major flaw is that he doesnt move great. His Serve is also incosnsistent.

If he can work on improving his serve consistency, and defending points better, he could really be a decent tour player

CountryHillbilly
08-11-2009, 02:47 PM
whats this guy's rank?

225, highest 201

pound cat
08-11-2009, 02:53 PM

Next time you're here try poutine...fries, gravy, topped with cheese...mmmm good ...once every 6 months or you die from cholesterol overload.

pound cat
08-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Peter is a solid player who has been fighting his whole life. He was a late bloomer. I remember in 06 when he got his 1st Roger Cup Wildcard, he was not even seen as Canadas top young gun. He has risen about 600 spots in the last year.

He has a big serve, big FH. His BH is solid. He does not approach net a lot. He is not big, but is not as small as he is percieved to be. His major flaw is that he doesnt move great. His Serve is also incosnsistent.

If he can work on improving his serve consistency, and defending points better, he could really be a decent tour player

I watched him v. Djokovic online (BBC I think) and the commentator who sounded like John Barrett couldn't say enough good things about Polansky's game to-day.

I'm going to send an e-mail to PP and tell him the many positively glowing comments that were made about his tennis...that should give him a boost.

It's really important to young players to hear positive comments from people in the tennis business.

clayman2000
08-11-2009, 03:00 PM
I watched him v. Djokovic online (BBC I think) and the commentator who sounded like John Barrett couldn't say enough good things about Polansky's game to-day.

I'm going to send an e-mail to PP and tell him the many positively glowing comments that were made about his tennis...that should give him a boost.

It's really important to young players to hear positive comments from people in the tennis business.

I saw him live at age 18 against Dancevic (who was inside the top 100). And while he was outclassed, i saw a lot of good shotmaking from the baseline.

CountryHillbilly
08-11-2009, 03:03 PM

He was good in the long rallies. He could keep up with Djokovic and was overpowering him with forehand. He made some unforced errors and couldn't convert breakpoints, but he played very solid.

And he doesn't choke for some reason

dincuss
08-11-2009, 03:04 PM
He was good in the long rallies. He could keep up with Djokovic and was overpowering him with forehand. He made some unforced errors and couldn't convert breakpoints, but he played very solid.

And he doesn't choke for some reason

Not all players choke ;)

2ndserveace
08-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Next time you're here try poutine...fries, gravy, topped with cheese...mmmm good ...once every 6 months or you die from cholesterol overload.
Wow, it sounds great, but it definately sounds like it could kill somebody. Sorta seems like the equivalent of some Bojangles biscuits down here in the south as far as cholesterol level is concerned.

pound cat
08-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Wow, it sounds great, but it definately sounds like it could kill somebody. Sorta seems like the equivalent of some Bojangles biscuits down here in the south as far as cholesterol level is concerned.

Yup...and I won't even ask you what that biscuit is like...I can just imagine...it dances, yes?

stanfordtennis alum
08-11-2009, 03:17 PM
he's a good player and has a good future...

Toxicmilk
08-11-2009, 04:52 PM
I like his game, hope to see him more.

wyutani
08-11-2009, 04:53 PM
everyone likes canada.

BreakPoint
08-11-2009, 04:54 PM
You mean ham. ;)

flyinghippos101
08-11-2009, 05:16 PM

Doesn't the south have something like fried bacon? That sounds fantastic.

2ndserveace
08-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Doesn't the south have something like fried bacon? That sounds fantastic.
It's not fried in oil or anything if that's what you're asking. It's just put in a pan and heated up, and it fries itself I guess.

CanadianChic
08-11-2009, 05:56 PM
^^Which would simply make it bacon, no?

DunlopDood
08-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Saw Pete play live at here in Vancouver last week, he lost in the first round to Xavier Malisse 6-4 6-4, but he looked good. He has an outstanding forehand and a solid backhand, a good serve. Only gripe I would have is that he tends to float that forehand long whenever he gets into extended rallies, could be a confidence thing and trying to end the point early.

dincuss
08-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Whats american bacon for us canadians called?

CanadianChic
08-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Bacon. (10 char)

2ndserveace
08-11-2009, 07:14 PM
^^Which would simply make it bacon, no?
Yeah, I was a little confused by the original question.

Klatu Verata Necktie
08-11-2009, 08:10 PM
everyone likes canada.

http://jimmyaquino.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c09fc53ef01156f1ee180970c-800wi

Wolland
08-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Polansky survived a major scare as an 18 year old. While in Mexico to play a Davis Cup series, he woke up sleepwalking and jumped or fell from a three-story room suffering serious injuries. Later he said that he saw a dark figure approaching his bed wielding a knife and only thought about escaping through the window. He recovered miraculously and four months later was playing tennis.

BreakPoint
08-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Whats american bacon for us canadians called?

Bacon. (10 char)
Then what do you call Canadian bacon in Canada? Also bacon?

Toxicmilk
08-11-2009, 09:36 PM

I wanna try.... :)

CanadianChic
08-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Then what do you call Canadian bacon in Canada? Also bacon?

No, we call it breakfast ham.

dincuss
08-11-2009, 09:38 PM

Thats what i thought, never got the american/canadian bacon situation.

CanadianChic
08-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Thats what i thought, never got the american/canadian bacon situation.

Canadian bacon is just a circular, thin strip of ham. Our bacon is the same as yours.

gocard
08-11-2009, 09:56 PM
This thread is about a young Canadian tennis player and yet there seems to be quite a bit of discussion about bacon and poutine :D

Anyway, fellow Canadian here!

goyeji
08-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Polansky is very dangerous. He had a stellar junior career being the 2006 USO runner-up. Now he is shooting up through the ATP ranks and hungry and blood thirsty. Plays his best on his Canada home courts, very dangerous player.

Deuce
08-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Polansky survived a major scare as an 18 year old. While in Mexico to play a Davis Cup series, he woke up sleepwalking and jumped or fell from a three-story room suffering serious injuries. Later he said that he saw a dark figure approaching his bed wielding a knife and only thought about escaping through the window. He recovered miraculously and four months later was playing tennis.
^ Yes. He basically went out a window or glass door. Cut himself up pretty good.
Fortunately, he landed in some bushes.
It was one of his legs that received the most damage from that fall.

he has potential, him and dancevic occasionally play on the davis cup team. good canadian junior.
^ He's not a junior. He's 22.

Anyone ever heard of this guy? He looks pretty solid to me.
^ Any half decent player can "look good" in a given match.
And this message board is full of posts saying that this player or that "looks great", and "has potential" - but these are rather ridiculous assessments, because they are made based on seeing the person play one match.

I saw him live at age 18 against Dancevic (who was inside the top 100). And while he was outclassed, i saw a lot of good shotmaking from the baseline.
^ And that is my point. You say that he looked good 4 years ago. But what has he done since then?

Sure, he's a decent player - but players like that are a dime a dozen. What sets the ones with REAL potential apart from the rest is the ability to put it together mentally on a consistent basis.
Polansky has not shown this. And so, even though I'm Canadian, and I've met Peter, and he seems like a genuinely nice kid, I don't think you'll be hearing much from him in the future.
He's 22 years old, after all. And in tennis, very few players come into full bloom after that age.

goyeji
08-11-2009, 10:06 PM
^ Yes. He basically went out a window or glass door. Cut himself up pretty good.
Fortunately, he landed in some bushes.
It was one of his legs that received the most damage from that fall.

And this message board is full of posts saying that this player or that "looks great", and "has potential" - but these are rather ridiculous assessments, because they are made based on seeing the person play one match.

^ And that is my point. You say that he looked good 4 years ago. But what has he done since then?

Sure, he's a decent player - but players like that are a dime a dozen. What sets the ones with REAL potential apart from the rest is the ability to put it together mentally on a consistent basis.
Polansky has not shown this. And so, even though I'm Canadian, and I've met Peter, and he seems like a genuinely nice kid, I don't think you'll be hearing much from him in the future.
He's 22 years old, after all. And in tennis, very few players come into full bloom after that age.

He just turned 21.

BreakPoint
08-11-2009, 10:44 PM

Ah-ha! Just like I said back in post #21. :)

You mean ham. ;)

Deuce
08-11-2009, 10:44 PM
He just turned 21.
Ok.
He's still not a junior, though.

As much as I'd like him to, I don't think he'll make any sort of impact in the pros - with the possible exception of an upset or two over a top 20 player.
His career will be similar to that of Dancevic - a few notable upsets, briefly flirting with the top 50, but settling in somewhere between 100 and 150.

We'll meet back here in 3 or 4 years to see.

BreakPoint
08-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Canadian bacon is just a circular, thin strip of ham. Our bacon is the same as yours.
So who came up with the dumb idea of calling it "Canadian bacon" instead of just plain old "ham", because that's exactly what it is.

pabletion
08-11-2009, 10:48 PM

Good argument. Like I said, I saw him play down here in Guatemala last year, and thought he was pretty good. My club pro told me to look for this guy in the future, as he did about 6 yrs ago when Jurgen Meltzer played here, guess hes got a good eye. Anyways, I dont expect him to be making the top 10 anytime soon, but I think (or would like to) he can make the top 100. I saw improvement from 2 years ago, and hopefully he'll keep improving in the next two years, where he is still considered "young" for ATP standards.

Wolland
08-11-2009, 10:52 PM
And to be honest, he wasn't playing against Djokovic at his best.

goyeji
08-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Ok.
He's still not a junior, though.

As much as I'd like him to, I don't think he'll make any sort of impact in the pros - with the possible exception of an upset or two over a top 20 player.
His career will be similar to that of Dancevic - a few notable upsets, briefly flirting with the top 50, but settling in somewhere between 100 and 150.

We'll meet back here in 3 or 4 years to see.

Yes yes we'll definitely revamp this thread in 3 or 4 years to reflect on how its gone for Polansky. How did you come up with the 22 figure for his age though?

Deuce
08-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Yes yes we'll definitely revamp this thread in 3 or 4 years to reflect on how its gone for Polansky. How did you come up with the 22 figure for his age though?
I just thought he was 22.
It's not like I said he's 28 - I was only one year off.

I remember seeing him play in juniors, and I thought that was 4 years ago. Must have been only 3 years ago.

goyeji
08-11-2009, 11:10 PM
I just thought he was 22.
It's not like I said he's 28 - I was only one year off.

I remember seeing him play in juniors, and I thought that was 4 years ago. Must have been only 3 years ago.

Fair enough, sounds like an honest mistake. By the way, how did you come up with "28" to illustrate your point?

Deuce
08-11-2009, 11:19 PM
Fair enough, sounds like an honest mistake. By the way, how did you come up with "28" to illustrate your point?
I hit the '2' and the '8' on my keyboard.

Terribly sorry, but I'm not going to play your game.

goyeji
08-11-2009, 11:26 PM

I asked an honest question. If you find it an unwelcome challenge, you are most certainly free to refuse the answer. No matter I remain in awe of your post count and longevity on the boards.:roll:

jamesblakefan#1
08-11-2009, 11:27 PM

I get what he was trying to do there.

We all know who else is 28 in tennis............................................ ..............Anna Kournikova! Just trying to goad you into admitting your secret love for Anna! Don't worry Deuce, your secret's safe w/ me. ;)

Deuce
08-11-2009, 11:32 PM
I asked an honest question. If you find it an unwelcome challenge, you are most certainly free to refuse the answer. No matter I remain in awe of your post count and longevity on the boards.:roll:
"Honest question"? Funny.

Hey - I made an attempt to have a rational and honest interaction with you here.
You refused.
Don't blame me, bud. Seems rather clear that your entire agenda here was to be an ***, rather than to have a rational discussion.

Again - that's not my fault.

BreakPoint
08-11-2009, 11:34 PM
I get what he was trying to do there.

We all know who else is 28 in tennis............................................ ..............Anna Kournikova! Just trying to goad you into admitting your secret love for Anna! Don't worry Deuce, your secret's safe w/ me. ;)
Um...Federer is also 28. ;)

CanadianChic
08-11-2009, 11:37 PM
So who came up with the dumb idea of calling it "Canadian bacon" instead of just plain old "ham", because that's exactly what it is.

To be honest, I have no idea. I could venture to guess an American though. ;)

Mansewerz
08-12-2009, 12:12 AM
"Honest question"? Funny.

Hey - I made an attempt to have a rational and honest interaction with you here.
You refused.
Don't blame me, bud. Seems rather clear that your entire agenda here was to be an ***, rather than to have a rational discussion.

Again - that's not my fault.

Don't worry, he's just a banned user that has come back to stir the pot again.

pound cat
08-12-2009, 02:57 AM

No it is not like ham. It is cured in an entirely different way and is not meant to be eaten without frying/baking first. On the other hand ham is ready to eat.

You don't cook, do you?

pound cat
08-12-2009, 02:58 AM
To be honest, I have no idea. I could venture to guess an American though. ;)

They named it Canadian bacon after the movie/

CanadianChic
08-12-2009, 03:22 AM
No it is not like ham. It is cured in an entirely different way and is not meant to be eaten without frying/baking first. On the other hand ham is ready to eat.

You don't cook, do you?

Actually, ham needs to be cooked before eaten as well. Someone was going to say it chef.

They named it Canadian bacon after the movie/

Nope. The term has been around longer than the movie which was released in 1995.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-12-2009, 04:03 AM
Canada is a huge country and not everyone can be a Sidney Crosby or a Ben Johnson.
Im waiting for a couple of great Canadian players popping up at the ATP-tour.