PDA

View Full Version : All synthetic gut setup? Help!!!

schwinn444
08-11-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm thinking about switching from a Kevlar hybrid (Gamma Infinity) to an all synthetic setup. I know I will be breaking string more often (that's why I have my own stringer). I really like playing with synthetic gut.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good synthetic gut string?

I just got 2 new Head LM Radical MP and the cheap synthetic string that came on those has lasted about 6 hours and counting. I would like them to last longer than those Head synthetic gut strings.

Carlito
08-11-2009, 03:43 PM
I like TNT. But I also like Gosen OG Micro as the cheaper alternative.

wao
08-11-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm thinking about switching from a Kevlar hybrid (Gamma Infinity) to an all synthetic setup. I know I will be breaking string more often (that's why I have my own stringer). I really like playing with synthetic gut.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good synthetic gut string?

I just got 2 new Head LM Radical MP and the cheap synthetic string that came on those has lasted about 6 hours and counting. I would like them to last longer than those Head synthetic gut strings. 6 hrs isn't bad for a syn gut if you hit with spin. Gosen is cheap. I've used Prince syn gut in a hybrid and it's as good as the others

schwinn444
08-11-2009, 03:55 PM
I don't hit with a ton of spin but I do hit very hard. (130mph serve to give you an idea of how hard I hit)

tennisstrngdude
08-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Try Gamma Wearguard.

jmverdugo
08-12-2009, 06:07 AM
I like Prince Tournament Nylon, it is what I am currently using in a full Set Up, very nice spin and feel, and very, very cheap.

mikeler
08-12-2009, 06:23 AM
I don't hit with a ton of spin but I do hit very hard. (130mph serve to give you an idea of how hard I hit)

You'll be lucky to get through a whole match with synthetic gut if you really hit that hard.

mikeler
08-12-2009, 06:24 AM
Try Gamma Wearguard.

For me, the regular Gamma synthetic gut lasted longer than the Wearguard version. I hit with heavy spin so maybe this has something to do with it.

The_Question
08-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Good cheap options are Wilson Syn Gut Extreme, Gosen Super JC, Babolat Super Fine Play, Prince Original Syn Gut, Tecnifibre Syn Gut...

tigerstring
08-12-2009, 08:24 AM
Prince Synthetic Gut Duraflex is pretty good. We had a player ranked in the top 100 do D1 who used the 15L and could get 2-3 days out of it.

Supracool94
08-12-2009, 08:47 AM
If you want a full synthetic gut set up that durable, plays well, and easy on the arm, try the following:

Mains: Gamma Marathon 16 or 15L

Crosses: Gamma TNT 17

I used to use this set up when I was on a budget and breaking strings like crazy.

schwinn444
08-12-2009, 10:46 AM
How well does Gosen OG hold tension?

I really only need it to last for about 5 hours per racquet.

I already know I am going to be breaking strings fairly often so I don't really need lectures from people about how syn gut sucks because it breaks so fast... I already know that going into it... I just wanted to put that out there.

Valjean
08-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Toa's Leoina 66, if ordering; here it is: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACGAMMA-LEO.html

schwinn444
08-13-2009, 09:07 PM
Toa's Leoina 66, if ordering; here it is: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACGAMMA-LEO.html

I don't really like that string.

nopiforyou
08-14-2009, 10:34 PM

I already know I am going to be breaking strings fairly often so I don't really need lectures from people about how syn gut sucks because it breaks so fast... I already know that going into it... I just wanted to put that out there.

I'm using a Gosen OG on my Dunlop 300G. It's holding relatively well, but I can't say. It was supposed to be strung at 57 lbs, but the stringer strung it tighter I think. It feels like 60 lbs or above. I have played a full match with it and just hit around with it today. Still fresh.

netman
08-16-2009, 05:07 AM

I've used it for years. I string it in the 55-58 range on most of my frames. It will drop about 5-7% in the first hour, then drop a bit more to around about a 10% loss. It then stays there until I cut it out. I hit flat and not as hard as you do, so I rarely break it. Usually cut it our after 12-15 hours.

schwinn444
08-17-2009, 12:40 PM
I think I am going to try the Gosen OG 16g at 58lbs. I may mess around with the tension.

abenguyen
08-17-2009, 03:42 PM
I like Prince Tournament Nylon, it is what I am currently using in a full Set Up, very nice spin and feel, and very, very cheap.

yes very very cheap

sstchur
08-17-2009, 03:54 PM
What about Forten Sweet?

schwinn444
08-17-2009, 04:21 PM
What about Forten Sweet?

Really soft to me. It seems to lose tension pretty quickly... at least sooner than I want my string to lose tension.

abenguyen
08-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Really soft to me. It seems to lose tension pretty quickly... at least sooner than I want my string to lose tension.

+1. plays extremely soft, and looses tension fairly quick.

my one recommendation for synthetic gut is.........

PSGD (Prince Synthetic Gut Duraflex) or PSGO (Prince Synthetic Gut Original)

pvaudio
08-18-2009, 07:19 AM
I don't hit with a ton of spin but I do hit very hard. (130mph serve to give you an idea of how hard I hit)Now, I'm not saying you're lying, but I feel that if you can serve 130mph, which means that you've been clocked doing so, you will have spent enough time playing tennis to where you wouldn't even need to ask this question.

Keifers
08-18-2009, 07:30 AM
Now, I'm not saying you're lying, but I feel that if you can serve 130mph, which means that you've been clocked doing so, you will have spent enough time playing tennis to where you wouldn't even need to ask this question.
I'm troubled by this comment. There are plenty of very good players -- including professionals -- who know very little about racquets. strings, etc.

Tennis Dunce
08-18-2009, 09:12 AM
^^^ So true!!

Also, it is usually the very adequate, ordinary players who know too much about string and racquets.

PV...get a clue. Maybe if you didnt post 500 messages a month you'd know a little less about string and more about tennis...just sayin'. TT was way better before you joined and started spamming these boards with your know-it-all BS.

pvaudio
08-18-2009, 09:18 AM
I'm troubled by this comment. There are plenty of very good players -- including professionals -- who know very little about racquets. strings, etc.
Maybe, it was just my opinion my friend :)
^^^ So true!!

Also, it is usually the very adequate, ordinary players who know too much about string and racquets.

PV...get a clue. Maybe if you didnt post 500 messages a month you'd know a little less about string and more about tennis...just sayin'. TT was way better before you joined and started spamming these boards with your know-it-all BS.
All of my know-it-all BS, right. That include my first post which was asking for help on here, right? And about how I have no problem admitting that what I'm posting is merely my opinion, right? Oh, and about how you should take what I say with a grain of salt because I am merely a 4.0, right? Yep, sounds like a know-it-all to me. If you have a problem with me posting, please, feel free to keep it to yourself as I couldn't care less.

Tennis Dunce
08-18-2009, 09:22 AM
You're first and only post.

pvaudio
08-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Right. Whatever man, I'm not here to argue with you, I'm here to learn about tennis and share anything I do know that someone might be interested in. If you want to go on criticizing people, feel free to. I really don't care, I'm just here for a good time and to improve. :)

schwinn444
08-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Now, I'm not saying you're lying, but I feel that if you can serve 130mph, which means that you've been clocked doing so, you will have spent enough time playing tennis to where you wouldn't even need to ask this question.

UGH. I hate people like this. Yes, I have been clocked at 130, so what. I am a good player but I have only used a very small variety of strings since I started playing tennis about 8 years ago. I have been using Kevlar since I started playing tennis so therefore I really don't know anything about synthetic gut.

People like this always assume that because someone asks a basic question that they must not be as good as they say they are. Why waste your time buy even answering this if you're just going to put people down.

Maybe if I said "should I get a Wal-Mart racquet or a racquet from Target..." then you could say something like that.

pvaudio
08-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Take it easy, I'm just playing devil's advocate here, I don't mean to offend. :)

schwinn444
08-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Take it easy, I'm just playing devil's advocate here, I don't mean to offend. :)

Playing devil's advocate? I asked a simple question... no need to play devil's advocate.