PDA

View Full Version : Are you ever supposed to cut the strings while the racket is mounted?

IwishIwasbetter
08-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Well, i was stringing my first racket on my new revo 4000, it was a head lm radical mp, after stringing the mains i felt them and there was damage done to strings, even in teh middle of the strings it felt rough, does anyone know how this could happen, the damage wasn't done just where i was clamping te string either?

Anyways, i went ahead and cut out the mains because of this while the racket was mounted, but i noticed that as i cut them that the head was elongating, should i have unmounted the racket then cut out the mains? Thank you

btw, the string was sppp 17

Lakers4Life
08-11-2009, 03:24 PM
It is recomended that you cut strings off the mounts, just for that same situation. You don't want to put an undue pressure on the frame.

I'm assuming you are string Signum Poly Pro Plasma 17. You need to be careful not to damage Polys, mutilfiliment, and gut. Make sure the clamps are not too tight that they flatten the string structure. Also the tensioner gripper adjustment is not pinching nor stripping the string.

Blade0324
08-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Sounds to me like the roughness was from the tensioner gripper to me. Happens pretty frequently on some machines. Just a little roughness would not be enough for me to cut a fresh set of strings out. I honestly think you are over reacting.

rich s
08-11-2009, 06:15 PM
It is recomended that you cut strings off the mounts, just for that same situation. You don't want to put an undue pressure on the frame.

If you have the frame mounted and you are stringing it what undue pressure is the mounting system going to exert if you cut out from last tensioned string to first tensioned string while mounted?.............you are doing nothing worse than manually unstringing the frame.......

As you remove the strings you are removing any preload on the frame that the tensioned strings imparted......

To the OP.......cut the strings out from last installed to first installed and you will not have any problems....

tennisstrngdude
08-11-2009, 06:20 PM
No. Strings are removed before racquet is mounted.

khw72004
08-12-2009, 08:05 AM

I think he was referring to messing up his string job during stringing and having to cut the strings in the middle of the string job, I don't have an answer because that happened to me with my old stringer, but I just played with the strings, its not a big deal. After a few hours the strings will be rough anyways

Bud
08-12-2009, 08:15 AM
Well, i was stringing my first racket on my new revo 4000, it was a head lm radical mp, after stringing the mains i felt them and there was damage done to strings, even in teh middle of the strings it felt rough, does anyone know how this could happen, the damage wasn't done just where i was clamping te string either?

Anyways, i went ahead and cut out the mains because of this while the racket was mounted, but i noticed that as i cut them that the head was elongating, should i have unmounted the racket then cut out the mains? Thank you

btw, the string was sppp 17

I'm assuming you are string Signum Poly Pro Plasma 17. You need to be careful not to damage Polys, mutilfiliment, and gut. Make sure the clamps are not too tight that they flatten the string structure. Also the tensioner gripper adjustment is not pinching nor stripping the string.

Cutting the strings while it's mounted is not an issue.

Occasionally, I'll change out just my crosses while leaving the mains. Simply remount the racquet, properly... cut out the crosses and then reinstall the new crosses.

rich s
08-12-2009, 08:16 AM

The racquet was already mounted when the damage to the strings was found....cutting the string out in while the frame is still in the mounts WILL NOT damage the frame provided the strings are cut out in the reverse order that they were tensioned.

IwishIwasbetter
08-12-2009, 10:12 AM
The racquet was already mounted when the damage to the strings was found....cutting the string out in while the frame is still in the mounts WILL NOT damage the frame provided the strings are cut out in the reverse order that they were tensioned.

alright, that makes sense, too bad i cut them from the first ones i tensiond to the last, :-|, oh well, do you think any damage was done?

rich s
08-12-2009, 04:18 PM
alright, that makes sense, too bad i cut them from the first ones i tensiond to the last, :-|, oh well, do you think any damage was done?

no. I don't think any damage was done.

teppeiahn1
08-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Cutting the strings while it's mounted is not an issue.

Occasionally, I'll change out just my crosses while leaving the mains. Simply remount the racquet, properly... cut out the crosses and then reinstall the new crosses.

You sure you can do that bud?

diredesire
08-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Sounds to me like the roughness was from the tensioner gripper to me. Happens pretty frequently on some machines. Just a little roughness would not be enough for me to cut a fresh set of strings out. I honestly think you are over reacting.

This was my initial instinct, too.

IwishIwasbetter
08-12-2009, 05:19 PM
This was my initial instinct, too.

there was roughness right in the middle of the stringbed, but yeah, maybe i shouldnt have cut them out. oh well.

Irvin
08-12-2009, 05:37 PM

I would have cut from the the last strung to the first or from outside in to the center two crosses. But it is done now.

The racket should not have elongated whenyou cut the string out. Since it did I would suspect it was not mounted properly.

Irvin

IwishIwasbetter
08-12-2009, 05:47 PM
I would have cut from the the last strung to the first or from outside in to the center two crosses. But it is done now.

The racket should not have elongated whenyou cut the string out. Since it did I would suspect it was not mounted properly.

Irvin

really? the vertical mounts were pretty tight/snug but the racket could still slide up and down if i pushed it up and down without the side mounts. the side mounts were a little tighter than just touching the frame, isnt this how its supposed to be? i copied what yulitle did in one of his videos..

diredesire
08-12-2009, 06:01 PM
there was roughness right in the middle of the stringbed, but yeah, maybe i shouldnt have cut them out. oh well.

As a stringer (and thus, a scientist of sorts), you should be asking yourself before jumping to any sort of action: "WHY is there roughness in the middle of the string bed?"
OR:
"What could have caused this? What came in contact?"

The clamps should always bee near(er) to the outside of the frame, so the center could (should) only be affected by the tensioning unit, nothing else comes in contact with the strings.

IF you are clamping in the middle of the stringbed (on either mains or crosses), you should start moving your clamps further out, you will end up dropping the tension on those strings due to a long length of untensioned string + the friction from the rounding of the grommet.

Hope this helps

Hidious
08-12-2009, 06:54 PM
You imposed yourself extra work by over reacting (a little roughness happens all the time and has no effect at all on the stringbed IMO) but i like your attitude. You probably are a rookie stringer and want your jobs to be top notch. I'd let you string my racquets!