PDA

View Full Version : Wilson K Gut

cvbinrichmond
08-11-2009, 07:57 PM
I try many new strings and have for about the last 2 years. I have found one and like it a lot only to find another that I think I like at least the same if not a little better. This has been going on until I finally found a string that I like better than the others even when it is over 3 months old. That string I like so much is Wilson K Gut. I am sure that others think this is the most horrible string they have used, but I believe everyone has a string or strings that are better for them and not necessarily the same as mine or someone elses.
My question is this. For those of you who find this string the best string by far of any they have used, are there any other strings that are about the same and heads above any others except for K gut? I would just buy a ton of it, but it is waaaaay too expensive for me. How about NXT? I have tried and liked many others, and the closest is Gamma TNT RX2. However, since trying the K gut, I need to find something cheaper but just as good if I can.
Thanks for your input.

By the way, I have also tried Babalot Gut 17 ga. in both ballfeel and Team and like the K Gut better.

v205
08-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Have your tried X-one / X1 Biphase?

Babolat Excel Power?

They are in the same high end multifilament bracket.

cvbinrichmond
08-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the reply. No I have not tried the X1 Biphase or Babalot X-cel. I might try them, but I am trying to narrow down my choices and expense of trying other strings by maybe using what others have decided on that have tried the Wilson K Gut and liked it to the extreme. In other words, The K Gut is too expensive and I still want the feel of it. If I cannot find a replacement for a much less expensive price, I might just have to bite the bullet and pay $22/string.

forehand_barrage
08-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Maybe you should hybrid [k] gut buy putting cheap but good quality synthetic gut like maxim touch in the crosses to reduce cost.

cvbinrichmond
08-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Good idea. I don't know why I did not think of it and hopfully the string will retain the feel of the K Gut if I use the right combo. Thanks, I will try it. Now the question is, with what other string will I use it? Ha. I have some string I bought 25 packs for $50 for (Prince Orig. Syn. Gut) and I like it pretty well. I believe I might try it with that the first time. I also have some Klip Poly. The quest goes on.

Bad Dog
08-12-2009, 04:52 AM
Like you, I feel that K-Gut may be the best multifilament currently available (along with its slightly crisper counterpart K-Gut Pro). I have tried many of the other highly rated multifilaments, including Wilson’s NXT Tour, LaserFibre Super Natural Gut Pro Stock, Babolat’s Xcel and Xcel Power, TecniFibre X-One Biphase, NRG2, Klip Excellerator/Volkl Powerfibre, WeissCannon Explosiv, etc. Those were nice, but K-Gut and K-Gut Pro are still significantly better than the competition, though that may possibly change in a few years.

I also found that K-Gut and K-Gut Pro seem to be significantly more durable, as they seem to last longer and retain their resilience longer than the other top multifilaments. So for me, K-Gut and K-Gut Pro are the most cost effective strings – i.e., least expensive on a per-hour basis – of all of the top/expensive multifilaments. As you can tell, I have had the same string experiences you are contemplating, by attempting to switch to different top multifilaments. But each time, the cost savings amounted to less than a dollar per tennis hour, with less playability.

However, to save just a bit more money, you could try a bit lower end multifilament strings like Babolat’s Addiction, TecniFibre NRG2, Wilson Reaction or Sensation, etc. Just in case you are already extremely familiar with K-Gut’s subtle superlative properties for a multifilament, then you may find that other strings simply don't match up. A few dollars cheaper than K-Gut? Sure. But as good as K-Gut? Of course not.

Bottom line: If it takes you more than seven hours to break K-Gut, then consider just staying with it. But if it takes you much less than seven hours to break K-Gut, then you might want to consider multifilaments that are roughly half the price or less.

Bad Dog
08-12-2009, 04:55 AM
By the way, I have also tried Babaot Gut 17 ga. in both ballfeel and Team and like the K Gut better.

I have also used Babolat VS natural gut which, to me, felt similar to K-Gut – although the VS gut was twice as expensive, and lasted only a little bit longer. The key is to get the tension right: I prefer K-Gut to be strung around 3 pounds lower than natural gut, to give similar playability/feedback.

tennisstrngdude
08-12-2009, 05:30 AM
K-Gut is nice string. Too expensive.

BreakPoint
08-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Like you, I feel that K-Gut may be the best multifilament currently available (along with its slightly crisper counterpart K-Gut Pro). I have tried many of the other highly rated multifilaments, including Wilson’s NXT Tour, LaserFibre Super Natural Gut Pro Stock, Babolat’s Xcel and Xcel Power, TecniFibre X-One Biphase, NRG2, Klip Excellerator/Volkl Powerfibre, WeissCannon Explosiv, etc. Those were nice, but K-Gut and K-Gut Pro are still significantly better than the competition, though that may possibly change in a few years.

Hey Bad Dog,

I don't think I've asked you this before, but what racquet are you using the K-Gut and K-Gut Pro in and at what tension? Also, in a full stringjob or hybrid?

Thanks

Bad Dog
08-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Hey Bad Dog,

I don't think I've asked you this before, but what racquet are you using the K-Gut and K-Gut Pro in and at what tension? Also, in a full stringjob or hybrid?

Thanks

Hey BreakPoint,

I don't think I’ve told you this before – I play with Wilson PS 6.0 95 (at 52) as well as Volkl C10 Pro 98 (originally at 54 and now down to 53) – to a significant extent because you had reviewed them highly some time ago, right here on TW. Of course others gave them great reviews as well, but your comments were particularly inspiring.

Many thanks. :)

Tension: I do not string my own racquets, but as I may have mentioned in other posts, I usually give them to a limited number of top stringers in my area (who have strung for top touring pros or at Slams). So it appears that my “low” tensions may translate to higher tensions if measured by other machines or other stringers, etc. :)

I almost never hybridize.

BreakPoint
08-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Hey BreakPoint,

I don't think I’ve told you this before – I play with Wilson PS 6.0 95 (at 52) as well as Volkl C10 Pro 98 (originally at 54 and now down to 53) – to a significant extent because you had reviewed them highly some time ago, right here on TW. Of course others gave them great reviews as well, but your comments were particularly inspiring.

Many thanks. :)

Tension: I do not string my own racquets, but as I may have mentioned in other posts, I usually give them to a limited number of top stringers in my area (who have strung for top touring pros or at Slams). So it appears that my “low” tensions may translate to higher tensions if measured by other machines or other stringers, etc. :)

I almost never hybridize.
Thanks for the info, Bad Dog. :)

Yeah, that PS 6.0 95 is a great frame. I wish I had never switched away from it. I really hope Wilson brings it back or makes an updated version of it. I know they still make them because some pros still use them (under paintjobs), including Stefan Edberg at the LA Open 2 weeks ago.

I asked because I just tried the K-Gut Pro 16 in the mains at 55 lbs, with OG Sheep Micro 16 in the crosses at 53 lbs and I found the feel to be way too stiff and not as much feel as I would like. I normally use a soft multi (like PSGM, Hollow Core, Reaction, etc.) in the mains at 56lbs. and OGSM in the crosses at 54lbs., which all feel softer than the K-Gut Pro. This is all in a K90.

Supracool94
08-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Yeah I regret selling off all my Pro Staff 6.0 95 Racquets, at one point I had like 6 of them!

BreakPoint
08-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Yeah I regret selling off all my Pro Staff 6.0 95 Racquets, at one point I had like 6 of them!
Same here. I had 10 of them at one point! Now I'm down to only one. :(

Bad Dog
08-13-2009, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the info, Bad Dog. :)

Yeah, that PS 6.0 95 is a great frame. I wish I had never switched away from it. I really hope Wilson brings it back or makes an updated version of it. I know they still make them because some pros still use them (under paintjobs), including Stefan Edberg at the LA Open 2 weeks ago.

Very, very interesting. It is surprising that racquet companies don't appreciate that some of their classic models are well made, are in serious demand to this day, and would be highly cost effective to produce for the large consumer market – even with other paint jobs, since R&D expenditures were written off long ago.

Incidentally, is it possible that Stefan Edberg, et al, may have pulled a JollyRoger and bought dozens of the same model when they were publicly available just a few years ago?

Bad Dog
08-13-2009, 08:06 AM
I asked because I just tried the K-Gut Pro 16 in the mains at 55 lbs, with OG Sheep Micro 16 in the crosses at 53 lbs and I found the feel to be way too stiff and not as much feel as I would like. I normally use a soft multi (like PSGM, Hollow Core, Reaction, etc.) in the mains at 56lbs. and OGSM in the crosses at 54lbs., which all feel softer than the K-Gut Pro. This is all in a K90.

BreakPoint – I feel your pain. It's taken many stringjobs to find the best tension that works for me. As I may have mentioned in other threads, in the 6.0 95, K-Gut at 54 was too high, but 50 was too loose. 52 is ideal – for me. I seem to like that tension, in that particular racquet, for most multifilaments. The conundrum in sharing such information is that tensions tend to be relative, not absolute. Other considerations also crop up. For example I make sure that the prestretch function is turned off, and no manual prestretching is performed, and so on.

A friend of mine uses a K-90 with K-Gut and K-Gut Pro, strung around 51-52, which he enjoys. Before that he used Reaction, like you. I have hit with his K-90/Reaction and found it to be decent. I have also hit with his K-90/K-Gut/K-Gut Pro – even more enjoyable.

Here is just one reason why you might like to give K-Gut Pro another opportunity to prove itself to you. I had K-Gut Pro strung in the PS 6.0 95 belonging to my tennis coach, who teaches some of the top junior players in the country (I'm not one of them). My coach, like Federer, prefers lower tensions instead of higher. He commented that with the K-Gut Pro, he could routinely aim his volleys to land within – 5 inches – of his targets. He could not do that with other strings – so K-Gut Pro turned his racquet into a seriously “unfair” advantage. Of course he is an absolutely excellent player to begin with.

So before you write off K-Gut/K-Gut Pro, just in case you have another package lying around, it would be great if you would drop tension to around 52 in the K-90 – and let us know if your opinion may significantly change with the lower tension, like mine did.

At the same time, all of us know that K-Gut and K-Gut Pro are relatively expensive, since they can't totally match the qualities of Babolat VS natural gut – though I have found that they probably come as close to natural gut as a multifilament can get. I string K-Gut and K-Gut Pro around 3 pounds lower than VS natural gut – when I'm in a rush and just randomly grab a handle from my bag, I admit its a bit hard to tell the difference.

Question: In case you are going to try the K-Gut Pro at 52, purely for benchmarking purposes – then from your previous experience – would you also recommend any other significantly less expensive *multifilament* strings that give you the same (or close enough) phenomenal arm-friendly feel/touch, spin, ball cupping/pocketing, etc., etc., etc.?

That might be an alternative that legions of us have been searching for all along. :)

BreakPoint
08-13-2009, 10:27 AM
Incidentally, is it possible that Stefan Edberg, et al, may have pulled a JollyRoger and bought dozens of the same model when they were publicly available just a few years ago?
I doubt it because the PS 6.0 95's that Edberg was using had K90 paintjobs on them, so I'd bet he only recently got them from Wilson. Besides, just a few months ago he was still using the standard K90.

BreakPoint
08-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Question: In case you are going to try the K-Gut Pro at 52, purely for benchmarking purposes – then from your previous experience – would you also recommend any other significantly less expensive *multifilament* strings that give you the same (or close enough) phenomenal arm-friendly feel/touch, spin, ball cupping/pocketing, etc., etc., etc.?

That might be an alternative that legions of us have been searching for all along. :)
Thanks for the tips Bad Dog.

Once this stringjob breaks, I'll give K-Gut Pro a try at a lower tension, maybe 51-52 lbs., and see if it feels any better. I might also give K-Gut (non-Pro) a try.

BTW, have you tried PSG Multi? I find that string to give the best bang for the buck.

duusoo
08-13-2009, 07:01 PM
I string for one Big 10 player, and one top junior. This summer, I used K-Gut for the first time. Both players absolutely love it. At first I was using a tolad string bed of K-Gut. I have since gone to using K-Gut on the Mains, and crossing with Sensation. I string both players frames at 59, and maintain the same tension of both strings. It feels great, holds tension, and neither has broken a string in a month. One of them uses extremely heavy topspin. There is minor movement. I player uses a Head Radical MP, (Youtek), the other an Extreme.

Give it a try. Yes, K-Gut is expensive, but you can get Sensation for a reasonable price. Prior the Radical player had been using Big Banger Rough, and NXT, used it for two years. The other used Pro Hurricane and X-Cell.

Bad Dog
08-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the tips Bad Dog.

Once this stringjob breaks, I'll give K-Gut Pro a try at a lower tension, maybe 51-52 lbs., and see if it feels any better. I might also give K-Gut (non-Pro) a try.

BTW, have you tried PSG Multi? I find that string to give the best bang for the buck.

Thank you BreakPoint; good to know.

Bad Dog
08-18-2009, 09:36 AM
I string for one Big 10 player, and one top junior. This summer, I used K-Gut for the first time. Both players absolutely love it. At first I was using a tolad string bed of K-Gut. I have since gone to using K-Gut on the Mains, and crossing with Sensation. I string both players frames at 59, and maintain the same tension of both strings. It feels great, holds tension, and neither has broken a string in a month. One of them uses extremely heavy topspin. There is minor movement. I player uses a Head Radical MP, (Youtek), the other an Extreme.

Give it a try. Yes, K-Gut is expensive, but you can get Sensation for a reasonable price. Prior the Radical player had been using Big Banger Rough, and NXT, used it for two years. The other used Pro Hurricane and X-Cell.

This is good news; I hope you don't mind that I will quote you in another thread on arm-friendly strings with longevity. :)

Incidentally, it would appear that at least one of your players may be using relatively closed string pattern racquets, as opposed to the string eaters I've used. My sense is that it's the racquet that may often share significant responsibility for string breakage.