PDA

View Full Version : Best Pizza Toppings?

Breaker
08-11-2009, 09:16 PM
I like pizza, so do you. What do you like on yours??

For me pepperoni, peppers, bacon, and maybe some onions thrown in there for extra kick.

Plain cheese eaters will be looked down upon by everyone -- including themselves.

rommil
08-11-2009, 09:25 PM
If I say anchovies can I look down on everybody else?

ollinger
08-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Health advisory -- pepperoni alone approximately doubles the calories of a slice of pizza. Make mine regular cheese pizza.

LanEvo
08-11-2009, 09:31 PM
i like supreme with no olives

r2473
08-11-2009, 09:31 PM
A good cheese pizza is the best.

Otherwise a Pizza Margherita.

fed_the_savior
08-11-2009, 09:38 PM
ham+pineapple=my favorite

flyinghippos101
08-11-2009, 09:38 PM
pepperoni
peppers (either one)
bacon
sausage
mushrooms (either one)

Delicious!

pabletion
08-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Cuattro stagioni for me, that is:

Artichokes, mushrooms, ham and bacon.

All homemade, of course. BTW, I make killer pizza ;)
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/951/pizaiolo.jpg

CanadianChic
08-11-2009, 09:47 PM
My favourite has to be green olive and tomato - very tangy. Occasionally I'll do the usual pepperoni and mushroom or ham and pineapple. Every once in a while I like a pizza loaded with sour cream baked in (minus the onion and ground beef). I forgot...I like Greek as well.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
08-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Jalapenos only.

dParis
08-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Mushroom
Onion
Peppers
Sausage
Always top with garlic powder and red pepper flakes, if available.

Get funky, (not necessarily all together...)

Sliced tomato
Roasted Garlic
Goat Cheese
Banana Peppers
Rock Shrimp
Basil
Ground Beef
Red Onion

No,

Pepperoni
Bacon
Olives

Never,

Spinach
Broccoli
Ham
Pineapple
Anchovy

super_forehand
08-11-2009, 10:15 PM
If I say anchovies can I look down on everybody else?

OMG I thought I was the only one. Long tradition from my Italian family, my grandfather only ate 'alice' pizza (read anchovies). It is really extraordinary when its great thin crust, a thin layer of homemade tomato sauce, quality mozzarela and imported anchovie fillets. Wow, i need one right now!!

http://www.kazadapizza.com/pizzas_salgadas/images/aliche.jpg

Congratulations on your exquisite taste!

ODYSSEY Mk.4
08-11-2009, 10:27 PM
pineapple that is all

ryangoring
08-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Hammy and the pine!!!! cheese of course

psp2
08-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Clam & bacon, no "moots", olive oil, oregano..... New Haven style!!!

BTW, Frank Pepe's on Wooster St. beats Sally's.

CanadianChic
08-11-2009, 10:48 PM
What is a moot?

rommil
08-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Clam & bacon, no "moots", olive oil, oregano..... New Haven style!!!

You live in the Elm city?

Breaker
08-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Health advisory -- pepperoni alone approximately doubles the calories of a slice of pizza. Make mine regular cheese pizza.

Taste advisory -- pepperoni alone approximately doubles the deliciousness of a slice of pizza. :)

I'll have to try the ham/pineapple one day, can't get through the mental block of eating fruit on top of cheese though. A lot of these look good though I'll have to try them as well.

Except anchovies, no one can ever convince me they were meant to be an edible substance.

heycal
08-11-2009, 11:12 PM

This is a bald-faced (or is 'bold-faced'?) lie. An out and out falsehood. I happened to conduct a taste comparison between these two places within the last six months, and Sally's is better. My companion agreed.

Next case!

I'll have to try the ham/pineapple one day, can't get through the mental block of eating fruit on top of cheese though.

Exactly. Let's get something straight, people. Fruit is not acceptable on pizza, neither are most vegetables. In fact, here is a handy rule of thumb: if they weren't putting it on pizza 40 years ago, it's a bogus topping that belongs nowhere near a pizza.

super_forehand
08-11-2009, 11:18 PM
Except anchovies, no one can ever convince me they were meant to be an edible substance.

Its a bit of an acquired taste, kind of like sushi, certain cheeses, capers (heated up on olive oil on baked salmon).

But once that first slice goes into your mouth with that unique burst of salty tasty anchovy, you wont ever forget it. You will eventually want to have it again in a random day a few years later, and that will keep happening until in a few years time you are taking your own anchovy to the restaurants for them to make your pizza with (me lol).

Add an honest bottle of cabernet sauvignon, and by God nothing can really top that.

If you still hungry, Italian recipe tiramisu with imported ingredients from Italy including nutmeg, and you're talking the best food you will ever eat in your life.

Of course, you gotta get started on your 5 year anchovy break in first lol.

120mphBodyServe
08-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Ground beef, bacon/ham, pepperoni/hot salami...
Spicy tomato sauce with some chilli, onions, sun dried tomatoes, capsicum (thats what we call red bell peppers in Australia), mushrooms, jalapenos, sliced green olives, PINEAPPLE!!!!
Pineapple is the best thing to happen to Pizza and everyone who says otherwise can jump off a cliff.
Cheese.. 50% Mozarella 50% Boccocini...
Oh and before you put the cheese on i suppose u could finely dice some roasted garlic and scatter that over the top, and also some finely diced chillis (without the seeds)
That's all I can think of...

heycal
08-11-2009, 11:39 PM
, PINEAPPLE!!!!
Pineapple is the best thing to happen to Pizza and everyone who says otherwise can jump off a cliff.

You are a sick, sick man. Why don't you put a banana and some granny smith's on top of your so-called "pizza" while you're at it?

Photoshop
08-11-2009, 11:41 PM
pepperoni
italian sausage
lots of onions
lots of black olives
mushrooms

onion/pineapple combo is surprisingly good.
http://www.melaniecooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/hawaiianpizza.jpg

Breaker
08-11-2009, 11:45 PM
You are a sick, sick man. Why don't you put a banana and some granny smith's on top of your so-called "pizza" while you're at it?

While we're at it how about replacing the tomato sauce with applesauce, makes as much sense to me :idea:

DownTheLine
08-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Pepperoni.

Mansewerz
08-11-2009, 11:54 PM
Regular slice of cheese pizza for me. I personally like cheese pizza that has a bit of zing in the sauce!

pabletion
08-11-2009, 11:55 PM
no, no, no... pineapple has no deal being near a pizza. I mean, it doesnt taste bad, but, no, thats not a pizza.

The simpler, the better. A good dough with a simple, uncooked real tomato sauce and quality mozzarela, some basil, drizzled with EV olive oil and a little parmigiano regiano......... thats a culinary orgasm right there.

heycal
08-12-2009, 12:15 AM
While we're at it how about replacing the tomato sauce with applesauce, makes as much sense to me :idea:

Sure, why not? We'll top it with some glazed donut holes from D and D and we'll have ourselves one heck of a tasty pizza!

baek57
08-12-2009, 12:35 AM
it's not pizza if it doesn't have pepperoni to me.

CanadianChic
08-12-2009, 12:41 AM
What the heck is a moot already? The only moot I know is moot point. Wow. I feel a little dumb right now. Carry on............

kimbahpnam
08-12-2009, 01:03 AM
Hawaiian (ham/pineapple)
Italian sausage
Supreme

mix those three any way you'd like and it'd still be fantastic

Roberto
08-12-2009, 01:21 AM
OMG I thought I was the only one. Long tradition from my Italian family, my grandfather only ate 'alice' pizza (read anchovies). It is really extraordinary when its great thin crust, a thin layer of homemade tomato sauce, quality mozzarela and imported anchovie fillets. Wow, i need one right now!!

Count me in. My favourite is: Pizza alla Romana (atleast that is what I call it): tomato sauce, anjovis, black olives, sliced tomatoes, oregano and cheese.

MarrratSafin
08-12-2009, 03:07 AM
Hawaiian (ham and pineapple) rocks, add chicken, bacon, mushrooms and BBQ sauce onto it and it's heavenly. mmmm.

Gorecki
08-12-2009, 04:13 AM
spinach for extra strenght!

120mphBodyServe
08-12-2009, 05:04 AM

Why don't you shut up and try it, and quit being a jerk????

alice301
08-12-2009, 05:27 AM

oooohhhh, fighting words! overheard while waiting in the interminable line at sally's:

man #1: what, you gotta be in da mob to get some service 'round here?man #2: ...it don't help. trust me.my vote goes to the spinach, eggplant & garlic pizza, light on the mootz. i know it won't be popular, though. i once brought a green pepper pizza to a tw-mac meet, to everyone's horror. it was actually called "a waste of a good pizza."

dave333
08-12-2009, 05:29 AM
Give me everything. Bacon, onions, peppers, pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms.

Yum.

Living near New Haven lets me go have Pepe's pretty often (usually stick with simpler stuff there), and I can try funky stuff like mashed potatoes with bacon at Bar Pizza.

alice301
08-12-2009, 05:36 AM
oh, bar! omg. the nostalgic pang i feel right now is just paralyzing. is there still the carry-out pizza place on state street? i can't remember the name...

bulldawg
08-12-2009, 06:28 AM
italian sausage, onion, pepperoni

heycal
08-12-2009, 08:05 AM
oooohhhh, fighting words! overheard while waiting in the interminable line at sally's:

man #1: what, you gotta be in da mob to get some service 'round here?man #2: ...it don't help. [I]trust me.

In my experience, those women who run Sally's are awful, just awful... But their pizza is better than Pepe's.

INDENT]my vote goes to the spinach, eggplant & garlic pizza, light on the mootz. i know it won't be popular, though.

Sounds like a waste of a good pizza.

I can try funky stuff like mashed potatoes with bacon at Bar Pizza.

My little gal pal tried to take me to this "Bar pizza" place, and I instinctively said "no, I want to go to Sally's or Pepe's", perhaps because my instincts told me it was the kind of place that served mashed potatoes and bacon as toppings...

mtommer
08-12-2009, 08:07 AM
Ahhhhhhh, pizza!

My ideal....

Sausage, Pepperoni, Bacon, Ham, Tomatoe, Green Peppers, Onions (preferably red), Pineapple or I'll just take a Super Supreme deep dish from Pizza Hut with the appropriate substitutions and additional toppings. Mmmmmm......luv Pizza Hut.

SempreSami
08-12-2009, 08:11 AM
Sloppy Giuseppe

jmverdugo
08-12-2009, 08:13 AM
Pepperoni, Anchovies and black olives and extra cheese for me.

2 comments:

What was people thinking? pinneaple on pizza? That sounds like a brittish monarchy invention, it is a NO NO for me.

If I wanted to eat healthy I wouldnt eat pizza.

heycal
08-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Why don't you shut up and try it, and quit being a jerk????

I'd rather top my pizza with Codex Alimentarius and Koala bears, you kangaroo kicker!

Bad Dog
08-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Exactly. Let's get something straight, people. Fruit is not acceptable on pizza

You didn't know that tomatoes and tomato sauces are actually fruits? :) How many people remember learning about this in biology class?

heycal
08-12-2009, 10:29 AM
You didn't know that tomatoes and tomato sauces are actually fruits? :) How many people remember learning about this in biology class?

That is a bald faced (or is it bold faced?) lie put out by the Fruit Industry. (FI).

r2473
08-12-2009, 10:37 AM

And watermelon is a vegetable:

According to Webster’s dictionary a vegetable is anything made or obtained from plants (2004). Watermelon is a
member of the cucurbitaceae plant family of gourds (classified as Citrullus Lantus), related to the cucumber, squash,
and pumpkin (Maynard, 2001). It is planted from seeds or seedlings, harvested, and then cleared from the field like
other vegetables. Since watermelon is grown as a vegetable crop using vegetable production systems, watermelon is
considered a vegetable (Wolford, 2004)

Dedans Penthouse
08-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Favorite topping: ILC topless. ........Yum

(the only time I'd eat 'fruit' on pizza; otherwise, bogus-city)

heycal, a sidebar to the Frank Pepe v. Sally question: whether you like Sally's or Pepe's, Pepe's does put out a 'white clam pie' (get it with the bacon topping--NEVER with "mootz") that is kickin'. Their clams are consistantly of good--not gritty--quality.

What the heck is a moot already? The only moot I know is moot point. Wow. I feel a little dumb right now. Carry on............CC, the "moot" was referring to mozzzarella or "mootz" (in the local dialect) since that previous post contained a "New Haven" (Connecticut) reference as well: New Haven-style pizza considers "mootz" to be a topping; a regular pizza there simply consists of tomato sauce, garlic/oregano with a little parmesian or pecorino-romano cheese sprinkled on top.

Local slang for pizza 'round these parts (and New Haven as well) is pronounced "ah-beets" (short for "apizza")

cucio
08-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Pizza Amore: mozzarella, slices of fresh tomato instead of tomato sauce, sliced onion, sliced leek, diced boiled artichoke, sprinkled with diced mascarpone cheese.

Pineapple and ham is fine, it is like a drop of strawberry jam over a pâté toast or a bit of apple confiture together with pork roast, a touch of fruity flavor that only uncultured barbarians are unable to appreciate (yet they love to mix cheese and coke).

dParis
08-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Pepe's does put out a 'white clam pie'
That is redundant.

I enjoy reading about these provincial pizzas. Sometimes I forget that there is pizza outside of Chicago and usually disappointment ensues when I expect it outside of the region. But I do enjoy the odd, well prepared 'exotic' pie when in Rome.

psp2
08-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Favorite topping: ILC topless. ........Yum

(the only time I'd eat 'fruit' on pizza; otherwise, bogus-city)

heycal, a sidebar to the Frank Pepe v. Sally question: whether you like Sally's or Pepe's, Pepe's does put out a 'white clam pie' (get it with the bacon topping--NEVER with "mootz") that is kickin'. Their clams are consistantly of good--not gritty--quality.

CC, the "moot" was referring to mozzzarella or "mootz" (in the local dialect) since that previous post contained a "New Haven" (Connecticut) reference as well: New Haven-style pizza considers "mootz" to be a topping; a regular pizza there simply consists of tomato sauce, garlic/oregano with a little parmesian or pecorino-romano cheese sprinkled on top.

Local slang for pizza 'round these parts (and New Haven as well) is pronounced "ah-beets" (short for "apizza")

Agree with you DP... the white clam pie at Pepe's is out of this world. HOWEVER...... if you venture to Minervini's (East Haven), try their version. It is quite fantastic as well.

vkartikv
08-12-2009, 12:43 PM
pineapple, onions, red peppers, black olives and jalapenos or a mix of these.

jrod
08-12-2009, 12:45 PM
I make my own from scratch with thinner crust (low carb pizza?). Current favorite toppings are:

prosciutto and grilled leeks

pabletion
08-12-2009, 01:05 PM
^^ good man. Is there anything more satisfying than making AND eating your own authentic pizza pie? I bought a pizza stone and that makes it absolute perfection, and recently been making pizza on the grill, covering it and using the stone.
Im dreaming of my own wood oven... sigh

LuckyR
08-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Chorizo and onions (but you have to pour off the orange oil before you eat it, assuming you put the chorizo on uncooked or you'll have a flood when you cut the pizza).

rchang730
08-12-2009, 09:14 PM
no one said pesto yet? I like pesto. I also had goat cheese on my pizza once. I thought that was pretty interesting. However if i were to choose from toppings from a joint like dominos or pizza hut, i'd just go with pepperoni. it's hard to beat that.

quest01
08-12-2009, 09:55 PM
I'll stick with the old fashioned pepperoni pizza. Pizza is my favorite food but its been a little while since I've ate it. The last time I ate a pizza was at a restaurant called Uno Chicago Grill.

heycal
08-12-2009, 10:51 PM

I can't imagine clams on anything, including pizza. Skeeve me out.

Re Pepe's v. Sally's: Just because Sally's is better doesn't mean Pepe's isn't excellent as well. (Hey, did you hear they have franchised and are due to open in Yonkers later this year?)

Maybe "these parts" means "east of Central Avenue" because I don't know this slang (or I'm not 'hearing' it right when written)?

I enjoy reading about these provincial pizzas. Sometimes I forget that there is pizza outside of Chicago and usually disappointment ensues when I expect it outside of the region.

There's pizza in Chicago?

I've never been to the Windy City, much to my own amazement, but I guess I've heard they have some sort of deep dish pizza or something like that there. IF it's good, it's certainly not as good as New York pizza. End of story.

super_forehand
08-12-2009, 11:06 PM
I've never been to the Windy City, much to my own amazement, but I guess I've heard they have some sort of deep dish pizza or something like that there. IF it's good, it's certainly not as good as New York pizza. End of story.

Not even close to as good as NY. Deep dish pizza is like everything else we Americans produce: big, bulky, cheesy, impractical, will make you fat and doesnt look too good. Dont believe me? Take a FOrd Expedition and most those adjectives fit that too lol.

Jokes aside, Chicage deep dish isnt pizza, its a bowl of dough, cheese, 500 toppings and grease.

heycal
08-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Not even close to as good as NY. Deep dish pizza is like everything else we Americans produce: big, bulky, cheesy, impractical, will make you fat and doesnt look too good. Dont believe me? Take a FOrd Expedition and most those adjectives fit that too lol.

Jokes aside, Chicage deep dish isnt pizza, its a bowl of dough, cheese, 500 toppings and grease.

I figured as much.

Next case!

dParis
08-13-2009, 06:40 AM
There's pizza in Chicago?

End of story.

Chicago does thin crust pizza as well, and it's damn good. There is some truth to your comments on Chicago deep dish, but like most everything else, it depends where you get it. Take a Lou Malnoti's deep dish - crispy butter crust and sweet tomato sauce on top - heaven. Pizzeria Uno on the other hand is more like the doughy mess you describe. I usually stay away from deep dish unless it's Malnoti's or Beggars.

heycal
08-13-2009, 08:45 AM
End of story.

I've never been to Iowa, but I feel confident saying their pizza is not as good as New York's either.

Dedans Penthouse
08-13-2009, 08:49 AM
That is redundant.Huh?...Wha??.. How is identifying a 'white clam pie' "redundant?" (e.g. 'bianco' v. a marinara). That's redumdant.

I enjoy reading about these provincial pizzas . Sometimes I forget that there is pizza outside of Chicago and usually disappointment ensues when I expect it outside of the region. But I do enjoy the odd, well prepared 'exotic' pie when in Rome.That is provincial. ;-)

heycal, you?....mr. westchester?.....mr. have hanged-and-banged with 'list' types on the coast and you HAVEN'T been to Chicago? Dude, go there. Great town-beautiful city. As for Chi-style-pizza? Well, while recognizing that there's no accounting for personal taste, I (like you) pretty much view "thick" pizza as what, for example, Roseanne Barr is to Barbara Eden:

"Chicago Style"
http://j.bdbphotos.com/pictures/V/4L/V4Y4X9P_large.jpg

"New York"
http://content7.flixster.com/photo/97/35/19/9735193_tml.jpg

Not that I've been above screaming-in-the-throes-of-carnal-extasy "hurt me big girl!....make me FEEEL the pain!" at one time or another in my youth (usually buzzed at around 3:30-ish in the 'a.m.'), but when it comes to pizza: thin-is-in and fat's-not-where-it's-at. (justmyobnoxiousopinion)

-smile-

heycal
08-13-2009, 09:10 AM
That is provincial. ;-)

heycal, you?....mr. westchester?.....mr. have hanged-and-banged with 'list' types on the coast

What are 'list' types? I definitely need a "Dedans Dictionary" handy.

heycal, you?....mr. westchester?.....mr. have hanged-and-banged with 'list' types on the coast and you HAVEN'T been to Chicago? Dude, go there. Great town-beautiful city.

I've always wanted to go to Chicago, and I also like to travel, so I find this hard to believe myself. Bulgaria? Check. Cuba? Check. Moscow? Check. Norway? Alaska? Check. Chicago? Umm...

ollinger
08-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Stay away from Chicago.....they make pizza that you eat with a spoon, and they put salad on their hot dogs. Ahhh, but pierogies......

dParis
08-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Huh?...Wha??.. How is identifying a 'white clam pie' "redundant?" (e.g. 'bianco' v. a marinara). That's redumdant.
Well, I thought that you would be one of the first to "get it" so maybe I'm stretching that one.

That is provincial. ;-)
I should say, I enjoy regional pizzas.

The thing about Chicago is, you want Naples/NY pizza? We got it. Deep dish? We got it. Middleweight? We got it. In udder werds, we ain't missin nuttin.

sureshs
08-13-2009, 10:15 AM
onion/pineapple combo is surprisingly good.

Agreed.......

super_forehand
08-13-2009, 10:55 AM
Chicago does thin crust pizza as well, and it's damn good.

Oh I know, been to Pizza DOC, Sapore di Napoli and Coalfire (? i think thats the name), and it was first class thin crust very much like pizza I ate in Italy, and most had the Napolitano or Romano style with anchovies to boot!!!

Maybe i did go to the wrong deep dish places though, im going to Chicago for the weekend and will try one of the places you mentioned, will report back after sunday.

super_forehand
08-13-2009, 10:56 AM
And by the way might be playing some tennis, so if you live there maybe we could meet up dPairs?

Dedans Penthouse
08-13-2009, 11:50 AM
What are 'list' types? I definitely need a "Dedans Dictionary" handy..sorry, meant 'list' as in "a-list" "b-list" and so on; i.e. celebs

Oh and do go to Chicago.....and drink the water.....but whatever you do, DON'T eat the pizza.

And as for pizza in Iowa, I once had it and it wasn't bad; it was just, well, different. I figured that was going to be the case once I noticed that the most popular "topping" among the locals was corn.

:-)

dParis
08-13-2009, 12:37 PM
And by the way might be playing some tennis, so if you live there maybe we could meet up dPairs?
Thanks, but I will be in South Haven, MI for a wedding. Have fun in Chicago - this weekend is the Air and Water Show. I don't know which team is here this year (Blue Angels or T-Birds) but it's pretty awesome when the roar from those jets (esp the TBirds' F-16s) echos through the urban canyons downtown:twisted:. Definitely Lou Malnoti's if you want good Chicago-Style DD. Stay away from Uno, Due and Gino's.

heycal
08-13-2009, 10:47 PM
sorry, meant 'list' as in "a-list" "b-list" and so on; i.e. celebs

Oh and do go to Chicago.....and drink the water.....but whatever you do, DON'T eat the pizza.

And as for pizza in Iowa, I once had it and it wasn't bad; it was just, well, different. I figured that was going to be the case once I noticed that the most popular "topping" among the locals was corn.

:-)

Chicago is has long been number 1 on my places to visit in the U.S., so I assume I'll get there someday. I finally got around to number 2 on my domestic list earlier this summer (Seattle/anywhere in the Pacific Northwest), so maybe 2009 is my lucky year...

What's with the Chicago water? Supposed to be good or bad?

dParis
08-14-2009, 05:55 AM
What's with the Chicago water? Supposed to be good or bad?

Yes, it's good. Most of the Chicago area gets its water from Lake Michigan. The drinking water is known for being relatively clean and it tastes neutral. Hardly anyone in the area has to deal with well water or worry about reservoirs running dry. The gift of living near such a huge body of fresh water is often taken for granted or overlooked by Chicagoans. You ask them what the area's most valuable resource is and many will say, "Wrigley Field?".

Fedace
08-14-2009, 05:58 AM
KIMCHEE pizza is the best. I had one when i was in Korea town and it was Excellent. Different but Excellent...

heycal
08-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Yes, it's good. Most of the Chicago area gets its water from Lake Michigan. The drinking water is known for being relatively clean and it tastes neutral. Hardly anyone in the area has to deal with well water or worry about reservoirs running dry. The gift of living near such a huge body of fresh water is often taken for granted or overlooked by Chicagoans. You ask them what the area's most valuable resource is and many will say, "Wrigley Field?".

I finally got to see this famous Lake Michigan earlier this summer, but from the Michigan side. I guess I missed my chance to taste it to test your claims... In any case, I'm sure the world famous water in NYC is better than the water in Chicago.

r2473
08-14-2009, 10:32 AM
You ask them what the area's most valuable resource is and many will say, "Wrigley Field?".

And they would be right :)

CCNM
08-14-2009, 11:00 AM
I like sliced tomatoes & pepperoncinis with ham/Canadian bacon on my pizza.

40fifteen
08-14-2009, 11:19 AM
does anyone here knows why pizza in italy tastes so different.
its so good that you dont even feel the need for toppings.... plus its probably 1/2 the caloies in pizza hut
i mean i know its mainly the mozerella ...i have tried different mozerllas from the supermarket but its not even close.

rommil
08-14-2009, 11:27 AM
its so good that you dont even feel the need for toppings.... plus its probably 1/2 the caloies in pizza hut
i mean i know its mainly the mozerella ...i have tried different mozerllas from the supermarket but its not even close.

Maybe because in America when an ethnic dish gets "duplicated" they smother it with different ingredients, not just Italian cuisine. How many times have we heard a cook of chef saying "a touch of this, a hint of that" which is not necessarily a bad thing but I think if you go to the country pf origin of any cuisine most likely the execution and ingredients are more straightforward and simple. My opinion of course......

pabletion
08-14-2009, 11:28 AM
^^ the basics: Good italian tomato sauce, very simple, only crushed tomatoes, a little olive oil, salt, maybe a little black pepper, NOT COOKED.
Real mozzarela, which comes from buffalo milk, so its not the mozzarela you can get in a regular market, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and parmiggiano regiano, and the SECRET touch, cooked in a wood oven, you get an italian pizza pie. Compared to that, Dominos, Pizza Hut, etc etc... cant call themselves pizza.

peter
08-14-2009, 11:39 AM

Gahh! Now you made me hungry, even though I just had dinner!

Anchovies on pizza is one of my real favorites! Yummy!

40fifteen
08-14-2009, 11:41 AM
^^ the basics: Good italian tomato sauce, very simple, only crushed tomatoes, a little olive oil, salt, maybe a little black pepper, NOT COOKED.
Real mozzarela, which comes from buffalo milk, so its not the mozzarela you can get in a regular market, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and parmiggiano regiano, and the SECRET touch, cooked in a wood oven, you get an italian pizza pie. Compared to that, Dominos, Pizza Hut, etc etc... cant call themselves pizza.
you nailed it :)
any idea about the kind of supermarket which keeps the real mozerella ?
i saw in naples they were selling mozerella that was dipped in milk but the guy told me it would go bad if i take it back on plane.

cucio
08-14-2009, 11:45 AM

This reminds me when I was living in Holland I saw a recipe for Spanish omelet in a Dutch magazine.

Just so you know, traditional Spanish omelet (tortilla española) is made of eggs, potato, onion and salt, with abundant olive oil to cook the potato and the onion. I personally can boast of making a mean one, widely celebrated among family and friends.

Well, this Dutch magazine recipe had an ingredient list that spanned half of the page, and it carried a lot of things no decent Spaniard would dare to desecrate an omelet with. It was, however, a magazine edited by a big groceries chain (Albert Heijn, if you Nederlanders here are curious) so I guess they wanted to make sure poor misguided Dutch people filled their baskets with lots of stuff to cook exotic Mediterranean meals, but honestly...

jrod
08-14-2009, 11:50 AM

While I agree you guys have defined the classic Italian pie, you can still create ones just as good by sticking to the freshest ingredients as much as possible.

pabletion- you're verbiage has made me hungry as hell and I have to play the club pro in 2 hours! I'm toast...and the pro will probably make croutons out of me.

heycal
08-14-2009, 11:51 AM
I've only had pizza in northern Italy, maybe three times total in my life, and it was certainly not better than the best pizza in New York.

40fifteen
08-14-2009, 12:04 PM
well i tried in both north (turino) and South (naples) , as good though in north you need to really have a good eye about the place you go to .
so probably its not gonna change much if you try southern italy.

pabletion
08-14-2009, 01:48 PM
you nailed it :)
any idea about the kind of supermarket which keeps the real mozerella ?
i saw in naples they were selling mozerella that was dipped in milk but the guy told me it would go bad if i take it back on plane.

Well, if I can get the real mozzarella here in Guatemala, Im sure you can get it wherever you are. I get it at italian specialties shops, so that would be your best bet I guess. I can also get a really good cow mozzarella, produced locally, which is delicious, and very close, u know, not the shredded, dried stuff, but this one actually comes in a plastic container with some of the water; its white, instead of the yellowish, fake stuff, and kinda tarty, goes absolutely delicious on a good sauce.

Slayer_of_Kings
08-14-2009, 05:56 PM
My perfect pizza would have this: a smearing of tomato sauce, small pinches of oregano and minced garlic, mozzarella di bufala and grated grana padano, anchovies, black olives, Calabrian chile flakes (only a few!), small bits of fennel sausage and olive oil. :cool::cool::cool:

Fedace
08-14-2009, 06:04 PM
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm,,,,, where is that KimChee pizza ??

dave333
08-14-2009, 06:07 PM
oh, bar! omg. the nostalgic pang i feel right now is just paralyzing. is there still the carry-out pizza place on state street? i can't remember the name...

I don't remember....I think I was there before. Haven't been there for a bit.

the wise wizard
08-14-2009, 06:08 PM
sun dried tomatoes, proscuitto, black olives, orange bell peppers.

rommil
08-14-2009, 09:05 PM

Thanks......next time I go to Pepe's I will order this.......and maybe some clam pizza in Dedan's honor....

CanadianChic
08-14-2009, 09:14 PM
CC, the "moot" was referring to mozzzarella or "mootz" (in the local dialect) since that previous post contained a "New Haven" (Connecticut) reference as well: New Haven-style pizza considers "mootz" to be a topping; a regular pizza there simply consists of tomato sauce, garlic/oregano with a little parmesian or pecorino-romano cheese sprinkled on top.

Thanks for explaining it D. I guess dialect is about as different geographically at times as pizza appears to be. I would like to try New York pizza someday (as well as the pretzels and vendor hot dogs). I say that we share a pie and pitcher (or two) of beer someday. :)

Duzza
08-14-2009, 09:18 PM
I work in a pizza shop on the weekends with absolutely amazing dough. My favourites at work are definitely Margherita, Al Pollo (tomato sauce, chicken, avocado, fresh tomato), Moroccan Lamb (lamb, moroccan spices, onions, capsicum w/ mint yoghurt).

Can anyone suggest something great to try? I had a meatlovers with green capsicum the other night and it was amazing....I have no idea why but it just tasted great.

CanadianChic
08-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Do you have thinly sliced potatoes at the restaurant Duzza? If so, I would suggest a perogie pizza (maybe it could even be played off as a special if you like it).

pabletion
08-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Wanna offer a very tasty veggie pizza? Portobello mushrooms sliced into strips, marinated in extra virgin olive oil and garlic. The texture is amazing, as well as the flavour.

scraps234
08-15-2009, 05:06 PM
onions mushrooms tomatos pepperonies garlic i like many things but i cant take anchovies

TennisLover17
08-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Meat. Lots and lots of meat.

heycal
08-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Well, I'll be! Just received word that I may be going to Chicago in October. And here I was, lamenting in this very thread how I've never been...

So what are the must-eat pizza places?

The_Question
08-20-2009, 10:12 AM
3 more layers of cheese would be nice...

10ACE
08-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks for explaining it D. I guess dialect is about as different geographically at times as pizza appears to be. I would like to try New York pizza someday (as well as the pretzels and vendor hot dogs). I say that we share a pie and pitcher (or two) of beer someday. :)

Pepe's pizza mmmmmmm........ Red sauce and shrimp mmmmmmm. My favorite pizza either a very good coal oven margherita, or sausage, onion, peppers, mushrooms, olives.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
08-20-2009, 10:15 AM
SAUSAGE.

that is all

alice301
08-20-2009, 08:31 PM
went to bella napoli in midtown manhattan last week and as the guy was about to toss my sliceo'cheeze into the box, i saw a cockroach skitter across the inside of the box. i shrieked like the little girl i am, and stuttered, "bugbugbug bug!" the guy was totally unfazed--he just turned to get another box from a different stack, and handed it to me without a word. i should have run away, but i had a train to catch. i lived to tell the tale, but can't say i really enjoyed that meal.

so i'd like to amend my earlier vote to simply "no vermin, plz."

super_forehand
08-20-2009, 08:51 PM
went to bella napoli in midtown manhattan last week and as the guy was about to toss my sliceo'cheeze into the box, i saw a cockroach skitter across the inside of the box. i shrieked like the little girl i am, and stuttered, "bugbugbug bug!" the guy was totally unfazed--he just turned to get another box from a different stack, and handed it to me without a word. i should have run away, but i had a train to catch. i lived to tell the tale, but can't say i really enjoyed that meal.

so i'd like to amend my earlier vote to simply "no vermin, plz."

HOly crap lol, thats manhattan for ya. I just had thin crust from coal fire in chicago, napolitana! it was delicious and bug freee1!!!

super_forehand
08-20-2009, 08:54 PM
oh and where did you get that safin quote form? i wanna see if i can find that on youtube!

super_forehand
08-20-2009, 08:57 PM
and to finish my string of comments b/c of teh STUPID TW rule that if u dont have 50 posts you cant EDIT (even tho i been around for over 5 years lol), here is another marat quote on his sis:

"A lot of people they giving her trouble, okay, she's No. 1 in the world but she never won a Grand Slam. So it's a little bit tough on her. But she's there. She's fighting. She's trying. I'm really proud of her, and I tell everybody to **** off basically"

VamosVato
08-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Taco pizza mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

alice301
08-20-2009, 09:20 PM
oh and where did you get that safin quote form? i wanna see if i can find that on youtube!

here's my source for the text of the interview: http://cowbell.typepad.com/forty_deuce/2009/08/air-quotes-marat-gets-all-jason-stackhousey.html among my wishes for world peace and guaranteed happiness for all the puppies in the world, is for a supportive marat to be sitting in dinara's box, and cheering for her...