PDA

View Full Version : String Type & Tension Affect Spin?

tennis.yellow.balls
08-11-2009, 11:05 PM
is there any advantage to string a racket loose or tighter to help generate spin? if i want to get more spin, i've been reading that polys are good for spin generation, but was wondering if tension affects the spin? please share your experience. thanks.

DownTheLine
08-11-2009, 11:09 PM
I think at a lower tension you have more spin.

But, I don't think that would make sense because you have more control the higher you string and the more spin the more control...

plowmanjoe
08-11-2009, 11:12 PM
looser tension allows for more spin production.

the ball stays on the strings longer.

baek57
08-12-2009, 12:28 AM
no, tension has no affect on spin

kalic
08-12-2009, 02:57 AM
IMHO if stringob is fresh, then looser strings produce a little better spin. But when strings lose elasticity, I totally lose control over spin. That's why I like medium tension.

sruckauf
08-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Ball spin is almost entirely determined by your racquet head speed and swing style. If looser or tighter strings allow you to swing more quickly through the ball and keep it in the court with controllable power, then that is your answer.

It cracks me up every time I hear someone praise their 18 gauge string for the spin it gives them. If they like it for comfort, fine. Feel, yeah totally. More spin? Fail.

Nadal and Fed use 15L and 16 gauge strings, and I'm guessing they have the biggest ball spin out there.

It's all about technique of swing and racquet head speed. Pick the string that gives you the best combination of comfort, control, feel, durability.. whatever is important to you. Then work on your swing technique to maximize your spin goals. My $.02

dadozen
08-12-2009, 10:11 AM
There's now way to say that looser or tighter strings help producing spin, just because the same person won't swing exactly the same way with these 2 setups, since he/she will have to make adjustments in order to keep the ball in or to keep the ball long enough.

Spin is mostly determined by racquet speed. In my case, tighter strings allow me getting more spin since it allows me to swing faster. This way, I get higher racquet speed, thus, better spin.

And thinner gauges do help rpoducing more spin. I must add, though, that the string itself won't make much for your strokes. If you don't have the right technique nor the right grip, you won't be able to reach a crazy spin even with the thinnest string possible. But, if you do have the right technique, it certainly can help you, that's why I always said that certain strings have good or bad spin potential, that is the ability to help you producing spin, not that it produces spin magically.

sruckauf
08-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Well, I respectfully disagree about the thinner gauge = more spin claim. The experts say otherwise, and I tend to agree.

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2006/07/string_gauge_differences.html