PDA

View Full Version : What if Safin defeated Federer in the Wimbledon 2008 SF?

Mansewerz
08-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Since everyone on here loves "what if" threads, let us ponder this question.

I personally believe that had Safin defeated Federer that day, he had a legitimate chance of defeating Rafa in the final. I believe that Safin could have captured his first Wimbledon title.

Before flaming me, here are my reasons:
-A motivated Safin is so rare, yet when he is motivated, he plays fantastic tennis (he literally dismantled Djokovic in that third round in straight sets)
-Safin is in fact a horrible match up for Nadal. He hits through the court, he is not afraid of attacking the return (especially Nadal's second serve), and his backhand is very, very solid.
-Safin was serving fantastically during that whole tournament.

フェデラー
08-11-2009, 10:27 PM
the match wasnt even close and Fed played the best tennis of his life IMO, there is no discussion of what if's here.

grafselesfan
08-11-2009, 10:30 PM
There is no basis for Safin being a horrible matchup for Rafa. The one time they played on a hard court Rafa fed him a bagel. Anyway Federer destroyed Safin, and Federer would have lost in straight sets to Nadal without the rain delay. What more is there to explain.

Wolland
08-11-2009, 10:30 PM
He would have lost to Nadal in straight sets.

Mansewerz
08-11-2009, 10:32 PM
There is no basis for Safin being a horrible matchup for Rafa. The one time they played on a hard court Rafa fed him a bagel. Anyway Federer destroyed Safin, and Federer would have lost in straight sets to Nadal without the rain delay. What more is there to explain.

Yes, 2007, Safin's "fantastic" year.

And why are you bringing up Federer? Is your hate boiling up lately?

norbac
08-11-2009, 10:39 PM
I would have been a happy man.....

lawrence
08-11-2009, 11:24 PM
on the other hand, fed's h2h with nadal would've been lowered by 1 loss
technically, fed's legacy would become the slightest bit better through a loss. its stupid but its true

janipyt05
08-11-2009, 11:56 PM
He would have lost to Nadal in straight sets.

That's Exactly Right :)

Lotto
08-12-2009, 12:04 AM

Are you god?? You can see possible futures?? Dont give me that ********. Nobody knows for sure what would have happened. Sure, it went to a tie-break anyway, chances are it would have gone to one without the rain delay also. Get a grip.

Commando Tennis Shorts
08-12-2009, 12:07 AM
What if Roddick had won the 3 Slam finals he had appeared in? I must admit, I too like the "what if" game, but it is useless, because there is no "what if," only what actually happened

janipyt05
08-12-2009, 12:09 AM
Are you god?? You can see possible futures?? Dont give me that ********. Nobody knows for sure what would have happened. Sure, it went to a tie-break anyway, chances are it would have gone to one without the rain delay also. Get a grip.

No he not God however just looking at the way the match was going one would suggest that it would have gone that way, Federer was not playing like we normally know he can and the rain did drasticly change his tactics, it unsettled Nadal, just looking at the match you would have to agree that it was more likely Nadal would have won in straight sets however that did not happen. The match was poiting more to a straight wins that a spilt set win i think is all the person is trying to say

Mansewerz
08-12-2009, 12:10 AM
Let me see this straight. An in-form Safin (who is a threat to almost anybody) cannot possibly even take a set off of Nadal on grass, yet Nadal would surely have beaten Federer last year at the US Open despite the fact that Murray completely dominated him in that Semi-final?

Commando Tennis Shorts
08-12-2009, 12:17 AM
Let me see this straight. An in-form Safin (who is a threat to almost anybody) cannot possibly even take a set off of Nadal on grass, yet Nadal would surely have beaten Federer last year at the US Open despite the fact that Murray completely dominated him in that Semi-final?

yup.......:)

obsessedtennisfandisorder
08-12-2009, 12:22 AM

the majority of "what if" questions on here are difficult...*between era*
concepts such as: What if rafter was born 6 years later and we had a young
rafter on our hands 2005-2009 serving and volleying etc...

what if about actual matches that were actually played I don't agree there is so many...

hence your welcome to entertain thoughts but the fact is safin lost and really
has lost all motivation for tennis in my opinion...it's a pity...he's a great talent

maybe one day later in life he'll realise kafelnikov actually achieved more..
maybe that will dawn on him..maybe he won't care who knows.

I'm not saying he wouldve beaten fed, he still prob lost, but beta than SS

janipyt05
08-12-2009, 12:24 AM

Yes purely because Nadal has mastered Federer and knows what to do to annoy him so yes even thougb Murray beat Nadal. I think you have to look at match ups rather than the match that were played. Nadal against Federer Nadal has won a few times over Federer and a a few more in Slam finals, While Safin though extremly talented i don't think would have taken Nadal down possibly taken a set but he still imo would have lost, when someone is on a mission nothing will stop them and Rafa last year was on a mission

fps
08-12-2009, 12:25 AM
the world would have spun off its axis into cold empty space.

i mean, federer was so superior to him in that match that this is a hypothetical along the lines of "what if alex bogdanovic was world no. 1?" it would mean things didn't make sense any more.

Seany
08-12-2009, 01:47 AM
Meh, I know you are a big safin fan like me, but it's just time to give up, just like he did after the Australian open this year, he gave up on all his fans.

Just watch re-runs of the AO 2005 semi, the golden days :)

rwn
08-12-2009, 03:22 AM

I personally believe that had Safin defeated Federer that day, he had a legitimate chance of defeating Rafa in the final. I believe that Safin could have captured his first Wimbledon title.

-A motivated Safin is so rare, yet when he is motivated, he plays fantastic tennis (he literally dismantled Djokovic in that third round in straight sets)
-Safin is in fact a horrible match up for Nadal. He hits through the court, he is not afraid of attacking the return (especially Nadal's second serve), and his backhand is very, very solid.

cuda shuda wuda :|

drwood
08-12-2009, 05:37 AM

True...people forget how close Fed was to going out 4, 4 and 4 -- Rafa had 15-40 on Fed in the 3rd set -- I think it was 3-3 in that set.

FiveO
08-12-2009, 06:31 AM

As "what ifs" go this one is pretty extreme.

This match went the way it should have if not a trouncing, a routine win for Federer.

Safin never won a grass court title of any kind, is 26-19 on grass and in particular 14-9 at Wimbledon, lifetime.

Safin's "big win" at Wimbledon is a anomoly and it's an anomoly over a guy who's career approach seems to many as very Safin-like.

Whatever his level of physical preparedness, mindset and motivation Safin was never a contender on grass, which renders this "what if" moot IMO.

FiveO
08-12-2009, 06:44 AM
^^^but, let's say Fed turned an ankle and retired from that match....

Yes, I believe Safin's dtl bh is a great physical match-up edge to Marat, but not on Wimbledon's grass, especially not by the final day of the tournament. Nadal presents exactly the type player who would cause Safin to go away mentally, particularly over the course of a best of fiver.