PDA

View Full Version : Can you serve before ball-boys settle down?

CountryHillbilly
08-11-2009, 10:53 PM
I noticed in Gonzo-Raonic match that Gonzalez served a few times while the ball boys were still running around (actually they were still in the court).

Gonzalez was a bit annoyed that Raonic was stalling on his serve, but is this allowed? Could his opponent have requested that Gonzo repeat his serve?

DownTheLine
08-11-2009, 10:54 PM
It probably is if there just getting off the court like almost out of the doubles alley...

Video?

CountryHillbilly
08-11-2009, 10:58 PM
It probably is if there just getting off the court like almost out of the doubles alley...

Video?

Were they in the doubles alley? I don't have a video, but I'm pretty sure that they were even further inside the court when he tossed the ball (inside the singles court).

DownTheLine
08-11-2009, 11:00 PM
To be nice about it I would let them get set so they don't cause a distraction.

CountryHillbilly
08-11-2009, 11:07 PM
To be nice about it I would let them get set so they don't cause a distraction.

What about Raonic? Can he ask the serve to be repeated if the ballboys were still there?

Deuce
08-11-2009, 11:23 PM
The best thing for the receiver to do is to not set himself to receive until the ballboys/girls are in place.
If he sets himself ready to receive serve, he is telling the server to go ahead and serve.
It's up to the umpire to interpret these things - such as 'was the receiver set to receive?'.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-12-2009, 01:38 AM
I noticed in Gonzo-Raonic match that Gonzalez served a few times while the ball boys were still running around (actually they were still in the court).

Gonzalez was a bit annoyed that Raonic was stalling on his serve, but is this allowed? Could his opponent have requested that Gonzo repeat his serve?
Yes you can as long as it doesnt bother you OR the returner, some players like Roddick and Fed does that often whereas players like Nadal never has done it...for obvious reasons.

CountryHillbilly
08-12-2009, 01:44 AM
Yes you can as long as it doesnt bother you OR the returner, some players like Roddick and Fed does that often whereas players like Nadal never has done it...for obvious reasons.

But the returner can claim that it bothers him, and ask for the serve to be repeated? That would probably **** some people off :)

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-12-2009, 01:45 AM
But the returner can claim that it bothers him, and ask for the serve to be repeated? That would probably **** some people off :)
Yes he can, but hes gotta do it before the server tosses the ball or else as you say...someone would get ****ed:) (the server for example)

rommil
08-12-2009, 08:02 AM
Yes he can, but hes gotta do it before the server tosses the ball or else as you say...someone would get ****ed:) (the server for example)

Even if the server tosses the ball I think the returner can still claim a let if the ballboys are still running. If the umpire sees the same scenario he is probably going to call a let as well. Usually the server dictates the pace but Gonzo shouldn't be starting his serve with an ongoing possible distraction.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Even if the server tosses the ball I think the returner can still claim a let if the ballboys are still running. If the umpire sees the same scenario he is probably going to call a let as well. Usually the server dictates the pace but Gonzo shouldn't be starting his serve with an ongoing possible distraction.
Yeah but i think you have to raise your hand before the server hits the ball, or else theres gonna be trouble.
I agree about Gonzo, he knew that his opponent wasnt going to object against that.

FiveO
08-12-2009, 08:06 AM
Judgement call. The receiver has to play to the server's pace of play. If it was aggregious the umpire would have told Gonzo to pause. If that wasn't done and Raonic felt he was being wronged he could put his hand up and/or call it to the attention of the chair. No great shakes.

woodrow1029
08-12-2009, 08:08 AM
Deuce is correct. If the server is ready to serve, and the receiver is ready to receive and everyone is happy, we don't get involved and say "wait please." If we notice that the receiver is not ready, ideally we want to say "wait please" before the server starts the motion.

Normally, if there is a distraction during the second serve motion, then a let would be played. In this case, however, if the umpire doesn't realize that the receiver is holding up because of the ballkid, then a second serve would be replayed.

ChrisCrocker
08-12-2009, 08:21 AM
I watched the match and in the 2nd set Raonic put his hand up to say wait a second, not sure if gonzalez was annoyed or not.

Bud
08-12-2009, 08:25 AM

I agree... it was annoying. Gonzo was quickserving his opponent and the referee should have said something, IMO.

One time, Gonzo actually served and the referee made him re-serve... because the ball boy was still running behind Raonic. The ball boy literally had to still run the entire width of the court.

sureshs
08-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Ballpersons is the correct term.

CountryHillbilly
08-12-2009, 08:59 AM
I agree... it was annoying. Gonzo was quickserving his opponent and the referee should have said something, IMO.

One time, Gonzo actually served and the referee made him re-serve... because the ball boy was still running behind Raonic. The ball boy literally had to still run the entire width of the court.

Yeah, a couple of times Gonzo served very quickly. But that Raonic kid was very slow to get on court, too. They were messing each other up, apparently.

Deuce is correct. If the server is ready to serve, and the receiver is ready to receive and everyone is happy, we don't get involved and say "wait please." If we notice that the receiver is not ready, ideally we want to say "wait please" before the server starts the motion.

Normally, if there is a distraction during the second serve motion, then a let would be played. In this case, however, if the umpire doesn't realize that the receiver is holding up because of the ballkid, then a second serve would be replayed.

So, basically the returner can demand a repeat?

FedFan_2009
08-12-2009, 09:00 AM
This is not a problem anyone playing ****** has to face, since he usually take 45 seconds between points.

woodrow1029
08-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Yeah, a couple of times Gonzo served very quickly. But that Raonic kid was very slow to get on court, too. They were messing each other up, apparently.

So, basically the returner can demand a repeat?
They can only say they weren't ready if they make NO PLAY on the ball.

woodrow1029
08-12-2009, 09:24 AM
This is not a problem anyone playing ****** has to face, since he usually take 45 seconds between points.
You are such a moron. And the thread is dealing with between first and second serves, not between points.

CountryHillbilly
08-12-2009, 09:25 AM
They can only say they weren't ready if they make NO PLAY on the ball.

yeah, that's what i mean. I remember Gonzo served a couple of times when the ballpersons did not even leave the singles court :shock: Raonic was usually ready but he was allowed to protest, right?