PDA

View Full Version : Stringing Luxilon

lefty001
08-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Is there some "special" method to string Luxilon strings?
A local pro shop charges an extra $4 for stringing Luxilon. All other poly and synthetic gut/multi is regular labor price. Anyone know why this might be? Thanks

forehand_barrage
08-12-2009, 12:14 AM
Its just harder to string and harder on your arm and fingers. Also luxilon has a lot of coil memory so its just a pain to be stringing luxilon. Normal multi or syn is alot easier ( atleast from my experience with a gamma x-2).

Ljubicic for number1
08-12-2009, 01:52 AM
That is ridiculous I can understand a couple of dollars more to string natural gut but luxilon is just crazy and greedy.

mikeler
08-12-2009, 05:12 AM
Luxilon is a pain in the butt to string. I've only used it twice, but it definitely takes more time to avoid kinking.

drakulie
08-12-2009, 05:27 AM
Is there some "special" method to string Luxilon strings?
A local pro shop charges an extra $4 for stringing Luxilon. All other poly and synthetic gut/multi is regular labor price. Anyone know why this might be? Thanks

No, there is absolutely nothing "special" compared to other poly strings when stringing. They are ripping off their customers because it is "Luxilon". My advice>>>>> go somewhere else.

Just to name one.........babolat pro hurricane tour is way more of a pain in the rear to string, as is natural gut.

mikeler
08-12-2009, 05:29 AM
No, there is absolutely nothing "special" compared to other poly strings when stringing. They are ripping off their customers because it is "Luxilon". My advice>>>>> go somewhere else.

Just to name one.........babolat pro hurricane tour is way more of a pain in the rear to string, as is natural gut.

Exactly. If you don't like a stringer's service go somewhere else or buy a stringer and do it yourself.

The_Question
08-12-2009, 07:12 AM
Anything special to string Luxilon strings? No, not at all. It's a standard poly string, there is nothing particular about it at all.

They're just ripping you off there...

mikeler
08-12-2009, 07:22 AM
I will say that Big Ace is much easier to string than Luxilon, but I don't have experience stringing up any other polys.

Supracool94
08-12-2009, 08:11 AM
Lux BB ALU Rough is tough to string, but I have never charged my customers an extra fee for it.

If they are charging you extra and its not the rough version, then they are really burning you!

davidahenry
08-12-2009, 08:42 AM

Agreed. That is ridiculous that they charge extra - let alone $4 extra!

I've strung both PHT and Alu Power Rough (I actually string Rough at least once a week), and I think Rough is the toughest to string. It has gotten easier with time and practice, but it has a ton of coil memory, and the "rough" texture makes weaving crosses difficult.

Natural gut is a different beast... I don't think it is tougher to string than Alu Power Rough - just different. You simply have to be much more careful with every move you make.

Nevertheless, I don't think a stringer should charge more for Lux. I'm in the camp that believes stringers should charge the same labor rate for all strings - gut, poly, multi's, syn guts, kevlar, whatever. Just my $0.02.

Take care.

DH

drakulie
08-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Agreed. That is ridiculous that they charge extra - let alone $4 extra!

I've strung both PHT and Alu Power Rough (I actually string Rough at least once a week), and I think Rough is the toughest to string. It has gotten easier with time and practice, but it has a ton of coil memory, and the "rough" texture makes weaving crosses difficult.

Natural gut is a different beast... I don't think it is tougher to string than Alu Power Rough - just different. You simply have to be much more careful with every move you make.

Nevertheless, I don't think a stringer should charge more for Lux. I'm in the camp that believes stringers should charge the same labor rate for all strings - gut, poly, multi's, syn guts, kevlar, whatever. Just my $0.02.

Take care.

DH

david, completely agree with your post. And yes, Alu Rough is a pain in the rear, especially with crosses, and when stringing 18x20 patterns. (ouch).

Also, I am also in the camp that all string jobs should be the same amount for labor.

I know one guy who charges 15-20 dollars when stringing poly. We both live in the same club, and he was failry annoyed when he found out I charged $10.00 for all string jobs. He wanted me to "up" my price.

There is also a tennis club near where I live that charges $75.00 for natural gut and the labor. talk about a rip off.

jim e
08-12-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm in the camp that believes stringers should charge the same labor rate for all strings - gut, poly, multi's, syn guts, kevlar, whatever. Just my $0.02.

Take care.

DH
David: Although I agree with just about everything you have posted on these boards, we differ here.
I charge more for gut labor. This started many years back, when someone brought back a racquet that I strung with Victor Imperial Gut,(I said it was a while back), with the strings broke a short time after I strung it. I re strung it, no charge (gut was still expensive back then as well), appologized, and made him happy.Then later I found out from someone else that he picked up a stone from the parking lot next to the courts, and hit it with those strings and the strings broke.
After that all my prices went up, and more so for nat. gut.I made up for that incident in a short amount of time. Things like this happen, beyond our control, and its not up to the stringer to swallow the cost every time something goes wrong.(Just like if you do not see a fracture in a racquet, string it up and then it's noticable, you pay for that racquet and it takes a lot of cheap racquet stringing to break even).If a customer brings back a gut job in a few days because he leaves it in a trunk,or threw his racquet, or whatever the reason , because you never really find out why, and the strings breaks prematurely, I can replace it and be happy as I charge accordingly.
Stringing gut is more time involved,although I string a lot of it, and do that rather fast, it is still more time, and I know what my time is worth.If an auto mechanic has a job that takes more time and care, you pay for that as it is by the fraction of an hour.Should stringers be different? At a muffler shop, the labor was $92.00/hour labor, and anyone can put in a muffler, would you want anyone to string your racquet.
Fortunately it is up to each stringer to determine what their time is worth.I rather string 1/2 the volume at a good rate, than do twice the work at 1/2 the labor, my customers know that I string a quality job, rather than go to a big box store and get a questionable job.Many know that you get what you pay for.My free time is limited as well, and would like time to hit the ball, rather than string a lot after work,as I now string as much as I like, and really don't need any more, but thats me.

Supracool94
08-12-2009, 11:03 AM
David: Although I agree with just about everything you have posted on these boards, we differ here.
I charge more for gut labor. This started many years back, when someone brought back a racquet that I strung with Victor Imperial Gut,(I said it was a while back), with the strings broke a short time after I strung it. I re strung it, no charge (gut was still expensive back then as well), appologized, and made him happy.Then later I found out from someone else that he picked up a stone from the parking lot next to the courts, and hit it with those strings and the strings broke.
After that all my prices went up, and more so for nat. gut.I made up for that incident in a short amount of time. Things like this happen, beyond our control, and its not up to the stringer to swallow the cost every time something goes wrong.(Just like if you do not see a fracture in a racquet, string it up and then it's noticable, you pay for that racquet and it takes a lot of cheap racquet stringing to break even).If a customer brings back a gut job in a few days because he leaves it in a trunk,or threw his racquet, or whatever the reason , because you never really find out why, and the strings breaks prematurely, I can replace it and be happy as I charge accordingly.
Stringing gut is more time involved,although I string a lot of it, and do that rather fast, it is still more time, and I know what my time is worth.If an auto mechanic has a job that takes more time and care, you pay for that as it is by the fraction of an hour.Should stringers be different? At a muffler shop, the labor was $92.00/hour labor, and anyone can put in a muffler, would you want anyone to string your racquet.
Fortunately it is up to each stringer to determine what their time is worth.I rather string 1/2 the volume at a good rate, than do twice the work at 1/2 the labor, my customers know that I string a quality job, rather than go to a big box store and get a questionable job.Many know that you get what you pay for.My free time is limited as well, and would like time to hit the ball, rather than string a lot after work,as I now string as much as I like, and really don't need any more, but thats me.

I don't blame you for charging extra for stringing natural gut, it does take more time because its more fragile than synthetic strings. As long as your customers know that up front and are willing to pay, more power to you.

iJuMpS
08-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Because it is a stiff string so it takes longer to string

lefty001
08-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks for all your responses.
I had a feeling that there was nothing special about stringing Luxilon. Sure it is a stiffer string compared to synthetics but asking for more money just because it's Luxilon is outrageous in my opinion as well. They charge other polys the same amount as synthetics but not Lux. :-? I don't get my rackets strung there. I just couldn't believe the price hike.

DownTheLine
08-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Lime everyone else said it's a pain in the butt to string because of coil memory, takes tine so you don't kink it, and it's hard on the fingers I notice it more on the crosses.

MethodTennis
08-13-2009, 02:02 AM
There is also a tennis club near where I live that charges $75.00 for natural gut and the labor. talk about a rip off.

lol sounds like they're charging prices only found in the UK

forehand_barrage
08-13-2009, 02:59 AM
Lol way too over priced, my suggestion, buy a stringer and use it to stringer your own racquets

You can save a lot of money

trapped
08-13-2009, 01:26 PM
I bought a stringer almost 2 months ago and already saved about $50 in labor and have made about $100 in profit from customers. If you restring biweekly or even monthly a stringer will easily pay for itself.

Jakedasnake
08-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Just curious, is Luxilon Big Banger Ace considered easy or hard to string? Thanks for any feedback. I just bought a set and was wondering.

tennisfreak15347
08-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Lime everyone else said it's a pain in the butt to string because of coil memory, takes tine so you don't kink it, and it's hard on the fingers I notice it more on the crosses.

i actually find most Lux strings ( excluding rough and textured polys) to be easier to string than others, especially since Lux is so slick