PDA

View Full Version : String life expectancy...

stoo
08-12-2009, 06:42 AM
I currently have Gosen OG Sheep Micro 16 crosses and Polyon SP 17 mains in both my Aerogel 200's. I know it's a pretty vague question but can anyone give me an idea of the life expectancy of this setup will be before I should consider re-stringing. On average I'm hitting hard 5 - 6 hours a week.

Thanks in advance.

wyutani
08-12-2009, 06:46 AM
mine take about 13 months. but i hit 3 times a week.

origmarm
08-12-2009, 07:46 AM
It would depend on your level of play but I find a similar hybrid (SPPP mains with PSGD crosses) to last about 15hrs. It either breaks (crosses, about 70% of the time) or it loses so much tension it's unplayable (relatively speaking). If you are not breaking based on your playing habits I would suggest every 3 weeks though when I tried polyon I was getting only about 7-10hrs out of it so perhaps every 2 weeks. I would try every 3 and if you notice a large difference in playability straight after the restring move to 2.

I am VERY surprised at the level of durability that Wyutani is getting.

Cheers, Orig

Bad Dog
08-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Ive been told repeatedly by top stringers that for males, an informal benchmark of multifilament 16 gauge string life is 20 hours maximum for heavy hitting until either breakage or complete loss of resilience and other string properties.

For me, it depends on the type of play. At one end of the spectrum is friendly doubles where the string may last much longer than 20 hours before breaking or needing replacement. At the other extreme is heavy hitting as part of long rallying/training, with which I almost always shred strings long before reaching 20 hours. In the middle may be competitive singles, involving a few hard shots routinely interrupted by missed or mishit balls supplemented by scorekeeping negotiations, and diatribes toward the umpire or the opponent or, if necessary when the others won't escalate, oneself. :)

stoo
08-12-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm well over 10 hours of hitting on these strings now and have started to notice the smallest of fraying on the crosses so perhaps that could be a sign of things to come.

Kevo
08-12-2009, 12:27 PM
I'd restring them about once a month if they're not breaking or going completely dead before then. It really does depend quite a bit on the player, but for people who play a few times every week, I think about once a month to every 6 weeks is about right.

I've noticed that many people who don't break their strings leave them in too long and when they finally restring they are surprised at the difference.