PDA

View Full Version : Using 17 guage and 16 gauge in hybrid set up.

grover
08-12-2009, 06:07 AM
Came upon a package of tonic 16 and want to combine it with my normal string NXT 17 in my Volkl DNX 9. Was going to string one racket with tonic in the mains and one racket with tonic in the crosses and see which I liked best. Before doing I was hoping to get the pros and cons of both and wondered if I should string the tonic at a slightly higher tension in both set ups.

NoNameZ
08-12-2009, 06:32 PM
well, not sure how much this is going to help, but I came across this thread a few days ago: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=279921

tennisfreak15347
08-12-2009, 06:34 PM
so the two strings you're going to hybrid are NXT 17 and Tonic 16, right? i wouldn't waste the natural gut on the crosses, especially if it's just going to be a multi NXT main. putting the natural gut in the mains will be much better. my reason being having the natural gut in the mains will give better all-around playability, tension maintenance, longivity, ect. remember that mains take most of the playing characteristics of a stringbend
NXT is a decent string, but it's designed to imitate natural gut, being only slightly successful.

goran_ace
08-13-2009, 06:19 AM
I agree. Doesn't make much sense to hybrid NXT with natgut in terms of playing dynamics, particularly putting the natgut in the X's. The only reason I can think of to try that combo would be going with natgut mains and NXT crosses to get something that feels like a full natgut stringbed at a reduced cost.