PDA

View Full Version : poppping strings

khw72004
08-12-2009, 07:36 AM
Last night I turned on my light in my racket room and a string just popped. It was the weirdest thing ever. It was just sitting on the shelf and broke

Has this happened to anyone else?

And why do you think it did that?

Supracool94
08-12-2009, 07:42 AM
Where is exactly on the string bed did the break occur?

khw72004
08-12-2009, 07:47 AM
Top, side, of the head on the bumper guard. between the 6-7 string. I just bought this racket (vintage fromthe 80's) and I haven't even played with it

Supracool94
08-12-2009, 07:50 AM
My best guess is that you might have a bad grommet, check it.

khw72004
08-12-2009, 07:58 AM
The grommets are pretty bad but I think the grommets been this way for a long time. This is also not the first time this has happened to me. But this is the first time I heard it pop. I have had two other occasions where I found a racket that was strung with a popped string while it was in storage.

Supracool94
08-12-2009, 08:14 AM
Did you tie off on the string that broke?

Irvin
08-12-2009, 03:52 PM
The grommets are pretty bad but I think the grommets been this way for a long time. This is also not the first time this has happened to me. But this is the first time I heard it pop. I have had two other occasions where I found a racket that was strung with a popped string while it was in storage.

Is the string that is breaking a poly string? If so switch to another poly. Many people think they poly strings break because of miss hits. I think some brands break a lot more than others.

Irvin

khw72004
08-12-2009, 04:07 PM
It was not a tie off string nor was it poly strings. And i was not playing with the racket. It was just sitting on the shelf and the string popped. No one was near it, no one has touched it since it was mailed to me about 2 weeks ago. It just popped out of no where

fuzz nation
08-13-2009, 09:48 AM
Your racquet could be haunted... Who you gonna call?

Couldn't resist - that's really funky that it just popped while it was sitting there, though! Not beyond the realm of possibilities I guess.

No way of knowing how worn the string was at that spot, but I'd say mark it so that you'll know where it happened. If your next set pops in that spot too, you've probably got an issue with a degraded grommet there, right?

If you find any ectoplasmic goo either on or around the racquet in the near future, you've gotta figure on some trans-dimensional activity. The good news could be that your frame is haunted by Fred Perry!