PDA

View Full Version : SPPP/X-1 hybrid results

murrmanfan13
08-12-2009, 11:25 AM
today i tried sppp 1.18 at 58 in the mains with x-1 1.24 at 60 in the crosses. this is the second time i have hit with this combo and im somewhat dissapointed. i have a fast heavy topspin swing.

groundstrokes: this part is where the strings lacked the most. they had very little power so i had to swing at top speeds. all though there is nothing wrong swinging your fastest, and that is what i always do, when i hit shots 1-2 feet over the net with topspin the fell short, and when i went flatter to get more depth they fly long. the only time i was hitting great was when hitting heavy topspin shots high over the net, which is something that i only use in some situations.

serve: this was great. just like every string ive tried, but with more spin and power.

volleys: nice touch and okay placement, not enough depth

special shots: anything with feel involved was so-so, worse compared to my usual lux hybrid.

overall: very underpowered, but good with touch.

so if you have read all that you will know how im feeling, and if you havnt thats ok too. what im asking is what i could do to tweak this hybrid and get the right amount of power, so they dont go flying out or going short, while maintaining the right swing-speed.

thanks.

bsardana
08-12-2009, 01:55 PM
what im asking is what i could do to tweak this hybrid and get the right amount of power, so they dont go flying out or going short, while maintaining the right swing-speed.

Try SPPP at 56lbs and X-1 at 60lbs and evaluate how the combo feels. Or, try Hyperion instead of SPPP with the recommended tensions.

murrmanfan13
08-12-2009, 02:40 PM
sounds like a plan :D
i think those two pounds will definitely make a difference in power.
how do you think a more powerful poly like kirschbaum pro line II would play with it.

hoodjem
08-12-2009, 03:01 PM
I've always found SPPP very muted and rather dead feeling with very little pop.

I know it is rated stiff, but it never felt very crisp--just dully hard, muted, and dead.

murrmanfan13
08-12-2009, 03:10 PM
yeah, after reading great reviews on it im surprised how stiff it is. i think i might cut them out and put in something else

sidzej
08-12-2009, 03:32 PM
I tried the same combo as well. I was very disappointed after first hitting session, gave it one more chance and then I cut it out after less than 4 hours of play. I hated the feel of SPPP in my mains and I wasn't happy to cut great X-1 out bcs of SPPP. I was much happier with Spiky Shark & X-1 or Pro Line II & X-1 (or gut).

murrmanfan13
08-12-2009, 03:41 PM
yeah, i think that just might not be the best combo. could you tell me how pro line II and x-1 went, because at the moment i think that is what ill try next

forehand_barrage
08-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Try big banger ace in mains and x-1 in the crosses. Good combo

murrmanfan13
08-13-2009, 05:36 AM
yeah thats on my list to try, today ill report on wow rough/x1 went.

vndesu
08-13-2009, 05:47 AM
i liked the alu rough x1 combo but the alu roughs ate thru the x1s like it was nothing

i would recomend trying alu power first or pro red codes.

murrmanfan13
08-13-2009, 06:09 AM
alu power wouldnt rip it as much right? how long did the combo last?

origmarm
08-13-2009, 06:41 AM
I quite liked the SPPP/X-1 combo but I found I had to put it in at lower tensions that I thought. I started at 58/60 and it felt a bit underpowered and "lacking in elasticity". I now have it in at 52/54 which is a good 5lbs lower than anything else I've put in and like it. SPPP is a very different string at lower tensions from what I've found.

murrmanfan13
08-13-2009, 06:42 AM
really, mine is strung at 58/60 and i have very little power, how much lower do you recommend going?

origmarm
09-01-2009, 04:25 AM
really, mine is strung at 58/60 and i have very little power, how much lower do you recommend going?

Well I liked it at 52m/54c but I'm tempted to move it up to 54m/56c now. I'm also debating switching out the X-1 for some NRG2 so I can get it in a reel. Testing this shortly.