PDA

View Full Version : Kirschbaum PLII vs. P2 vs. Competition

SlapShot
08-12-2009, 10:51 AM
I'm going to try a poly setup in my RDS001 Mid as a test run, and I am drawn to Kirschbaum stuff due to how much I like their Proline series. I like a crisper feel and a firm stringbed, so I tend to string tighter (I have gut at 64# in one of them right now).

Can anyone compare the feel/quality of the 3 Kirschbaum strings listed in my title, or maybe suggest something different? I'm already going to try Alu, but I don't know that I want something that loses tension quite that quick, to be honest.

murrmanfan13
08-12-2009, 10:59 AM
id say PLII is your best option, but i havnt yet tried P2. other good strings besides Luxilon are Topspin Cyberflash, SPPP, MSV hex and Kirschbaum Spiky Shark. other people will have there opinions, but those are some of my faves

Kevo
08-12-2009, 11:20 AM
I like Competition the best myself, but PLII is a close second. P2 was not that close compared to the others IMO, but some people on this board really like it IIRC. YMMV.

Midlife crisis
08-12-2009, 01:40 PM
I've used all three. I think I've only used two sets of competition, but maybe six or seven sets of PL2. P2 is my current string of choice.

P2 is the stiffest feeling and lowest powered of the three. It offers the most consistent stringbed in my use, and seems the most tension-independent of the three. It seems to grab the ball a little better than the other two in that the racquet face needs to be closed a bit more on groundstrokes because the trajectory off the stringbed is a touch higher. Tension retention is good for a poly, but tied with Competition for worse of these three. Of the three, it seems to have the longest playable life and lasts the longest before breaking. P2 seems to take a couple of hours of break-in time before settling down to a long period of consistent play.

Proline II has better tension retension and P2, and plays with a more elastic feeling. Power levels are slightly higher and ball trajectories are slightly lower than P2. It seems to require little break-in but when it goes dead, the elasticity goes away noticeably. It then starts playing a lot like P2.

Competition seems to be a mix of the two. It is more elastic than P2 so power levels are higher and more like PLII, but the trajectory off the stringbed seems the same as P2. It seems way more tension sensitive than P2 though, so its play changes as it breaks in, though it doesn't require the break-in that P2 does.

SlapShot
08-13-2009, 05:53 PM
I've used all three. I think I've only used two sets of competition, but maybe six or seven sets of PL2. P2 is my current string of choice.

P2 is the stiffest feeling and lowest powered of the three. It offers the most consistent stringbed in my use, and seems the most tension-independent of the three. It seems to grab the ball a little better than the other two in that the racquet face needs to be closed a bit more on groundstrokes because the trajectory off the stringbed is a touch higher. Tension retention is good for a poly, but tied with Competition for worse of these three. Of the three, it seems to have the longest playable life and lasts the longest before breaking. P2 seems to take a couple of hours of break-in time before settling down to a long period of consistent play.

Proline II has better tension retension and P2, and plays with a more elastic feeling. Power levels are slightly higher and ball trajectories are slightly lower than P2. It seems to require little break-in but when it goes dead, the elasticity goes away noticeably. It then starts playing a lot like P2.

Competition seems to be a mix of the two. It is more elastic than P2 so power levels are higher and more like PLII, but the trajectory off the stringbed seems the same as P2. It seems way more tension sensitive than P2 though, so its play changes as it breaks in, though it doesn't require the break-in that P2 does.

Thanks for the opinion - sounds like I'm going to have to try P2. I really, really like PLII but sometimes long for a crisper feel.

Kevo
08-15-2009, 07:35 PM
I think Midlife and I must be living in parallel universes. I would pretty much say the opposite about P2.

I think the comment about closing the racquet more with P2 would tend to coincide with my feeling that it is more powerful holds tension the worst and that may be the reason it broke really quick for me because it moves all over the place unlike competition and pro line II.

I was disappointed with it when I tried it because it was supposed to be an improvement over Competition, but I didn't find it better in any aspect.

However, as you can see by the fact that two people can have totally opposite views of the same string, you'll have to form your own opinion. I did try Competition and P2 side by side in the same frames, and I think that's a good way to test two strings if you have that option.

Esti
08-15-2009, 08:47 PM
what do you guys think of spiky vs. plII?

kashgotmoney
08-15-2009, 09:21 PM
all i have to say is p2 is prestretched like others, holds tension great and its the stiffest out of those three. i even got proof

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200809/200809allstrings.html

Kevo
08-16-2009, 12:08 PM
all i have to say is p2 is prestretched like others, holds tension great and its the stiffest out of those three. i even got proof

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200809/200809allstrings.html

Just FYI, those numbers are taken at 62lbs. after five hits from a "hammer" that simulates a 120mph serve. I'm not trying to quarrel with the numbers, just pointing out that those conditions rarely line up with actual play. I did actually string Ashaway dynamite at 62lbs. on my RDX 500 once because I was incredibly skeptical of how soft it was measured at considering what it felt like at 50lbs., and the manufacturer's recommendation to string it lower.

While it did feel a bit like a board on normal swings, it felt quite nice when swinging with every ounce of strength I could muster. I managed to play with it for about 5 minutes hitting all out and was surprised by the level of feel. Unfortunately, I was unable to continue playing like that and it didn't feel or play very good at all with my normal stroke.