PDA

View Full Version : Is consistancy a 'talent' on the ATP Tour?

norcal
08-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Commentator on Monfils: "He can be inconsistent and erratic but talent-wise he's near the top."

So would you consider a flashy yet inconsistent shotmaker such as Monfils more talented then say, a very solid and consistent Davydenko?

FedFan_2009
08-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Commentator on Monfils: "He can be inconsistent and erratic but talent-wise he's near the top."

So would you consider a flashy yet inconsistent shotmaker such as Monfils more talented then say, a very solid and consistent Davydenko?

I agree consistency is a talent, but in the mind. Monfils is a mental midget and as such should not be considered one of the top players.

Exile
08-12-2009, 02:02 PM
I agree consistency is a talent, but in the mind. Monfils is a mental midget and as such should not be considered one of the top players.

I remember the exact same things being said about fed way before he became number 1...

フェデラー
08-12-2009, 02:11 PM
What are you talking about? First off Monfils IS consistent, but he is very poor on hard courts but he is making ground fast. Personally I feel after Fed retires Monfils has a good shot at the FO. But it will be hard to say that he can make Davydenko like results (Semi's of all slams, and titles on all surfaces)

norcal
08-12-2009, 02:25 PM
What are you talking about? First off Monfils IS consistent, but he is very poor on hard courts but he is making ground fast. Personally I feel after Fed retires Monfils has a good shot at the FO. But it will be hard to say that he can make Davydenko like results (Semi's of all slams, and titles on all surfaces)
I was quoting a commentator. *spoiler below*

He was very inconsistent out there today. JCF was very consistent which is why he won.

I feel like the rankings reflect talent pretty accurately. Choosing the right shot at the right time is part of tennis 'talent' (I don't disagree that Monfils has a lot of talent, just not top 10 talent yet).

If tennis were only about pure athletic talent (running and jumping etc) I think Monfils would be at or near the top. But as someone else mentioned, his head is not always in the right place.