PDA

View Full Version : Coaches/Recruiters at Girls Nationals (Berkeley)

tacoben
08-12-2009, 12:39 PM
I've been going to Berkeley Tennis Club to watch some of the matches and have notice quiet a few coaches/recruiters. Some of the girls are already wearing school colors and logos, leading me to believe that they have already committed or have been picked up by certain schools. What is the purpose of coaches/recruiters at the Nationals? I was always of the impression that they could not speak or make offers with potential candidates? Please clarify. Thanks.

JLyon
08-12-2009, 03:47 PM
If the player will be a SR this year they can contact since it is after July 1. Most coaches are looking at 2010 recruits and also getting final impressions of their new recruits.
Most though also do not speak with players but just watch for reference.

TennisTaxi
08-13-2009, 09:38 AM
It allows coaches to go see the top players playing in real competition; it is basically a college showcase, those who committed wear their colors, others hope to get recruited. And don't forgot, although I don't know how many are playing this year, that college players can play if they have not yet aged up.

papatenis
08-13-2009, 07:44 PM
this is probably the most important tournament for college coaches to recruit at, as evidence by almost all the girls ranked 1-200 in the nation in attendance. with the first (november) of two signing months not to far away, coaches are trying to recruit girls for their teams now rather than later (april) my daughter had 4 coaches just watching her doubles match.