PDA

View Full Version : recommendation to replace kevlar?

khong74
08-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Can you experts throw me in some recommendation for a string to replace my kevlar? I'm looking for a string that is durable (of course nothing can be as durable as kevlar but something similar), spin friendly, but soft and cheap. (I can't afford nat gut)

I'm currently using kevlar 18/ babolat hurricane 18 setting. I really like this setting not only because it hardly breaks but also feel very solid. I string mid 40 for kevlar.

But recently I've got a wrist injury. It is not bad but I'm more and more concerned about it. Before using this I never got a wrist injury so I'm pretty sure that it's coming from the kevlar.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Lakers4Life
08-12-2009, 03:34 PM
You unorthodox setup might be the cause of you wrist injury. You might want to have that looked at by an orthopedist. You might have a ligament tare.

Audiophile
08-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Take a look at Polyfibre TCS. It is a poly, very durable, but feels soft. It will certainly feel softer than Kevlar. It's not the cheapest, but should last you long enough to be cost effective. I'm sure you already know this, but nothing's going to feel good until that wrist has time to heal. Good luck and I hope it gets better.

gunnd5000
08-13-2009, 02:04 AM
ALU rough is good

forehand_barrage
08-13-2009, 03:05 AM
Luxilon big banger ace is also a good string at an average price

khong74
08-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Thanks a lot guys for all the help!

fuzz nation
08-13-2009, 08:57 AM
If I'm reading this right, you've got a hybrid of kevlar mains and poly crosses? You might honestly be able to build a softer racquet for yourself if you duct taped a cinder block to the end of a broom handle.

Really, I hate that you have an injury going on - I've never had to put up with anything more than a nasty turned ankle in my career and I hope you can recover without a lot of hardship.

The thing is that your string job spells harsh on top of harsh and it's probably lifeless, too. If you keep up any sort of playing schedule, get a soft setup in there to at least take some pounding off the wrist. A cushy multifiber may not give you the ultra crispy feel that you ideally want, but I think you'd be wise to soften up for at least a little while. Even a 17 gauge synthetic gut at moderate tension might be soft enough to still deliver you some decent feel and performance.

I was impressed with a set of Yonex 850 multi a while back, especially with its durability. I've also had a good experience with Tecnifibre Biphase, but I know that it runs at a higher cost. In terms of syn. gut, I've always had a soft spot for original Prince Syn. Gut - the stuff that they made before the Duraflex versions.

khong74
08-13-2009, 06:48 PM
fuzz nation:

Thanks for your kind words and helpful remarks. As for my stringjob, actually, it isn't as harsh as it sounds. Kevlar strung at mid 40 it is not that harsh and babolat hurricane is quite a soft poly that it softens up further. Well, still I got an injury, though a mild one, anyway and that might tell that it was harsh enough to my wrist. I'll try those strings that you've recommended. Thanks again!