PDA

View Full Version : New tennis coach... again.

MegacedU
04-02-2005, 03:30 PM
My tennis coach comes in today - and was like as you know I'll be graduating college in May. I wanted to introduce you to your new coach, and today will be my last day. I felt like I got punched in the stomach. I'm like so sad about it. I didn't think he'd be leaving me so soon. I feel like I can't be my school's #1 without him coaching me. Any advice to help with the swtich?

cak
04-02-2005, 05:45 PM
Is this the same coach that made you run in your tennis skirt and only played seniors? I was under the impression you didn't like him all that much. Did he grow on you? Or is this another one?

MegacedU
04-02-2005, 05:49 PM
That's my high school tennis coach. I play all year with people who are actually qualified. I realllly liked my tennis coach. He just had a way of teaching things so you knew exactly what he meant.

cak
04-02-2005, 08:03 PM
Bummer! But I bet he found a good replacement. Give him or her a chance. You might find they can spin things differently, and you can pick up stuff even faster.

MegacedU
04-02-2005, 08:24 PM
He wouldn't stick me with someone who wasn't good. The new guy is okay, but he'll never be my other coach. It's just hard because the I always knew exactly what my other coach meant when he'd tell me to change something.

matchpoints
04-04-2005, 12:41 AM
What constitutes 'qualified'?

Geezer Guy
04-04-2005, 07:39 AM
That's too bad, Meg. Give the new coach a try - and cut him a bit of slack at first. The new guy won't be able to pick up exactly where the old guy left off, but maybe in time the two of you will click. Good luck.

Capt. Willie
04-04-2005, 08:56 AM
I think someone has a bit of a crush on her coach. ;)

MegacedU
04-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Qualified = People who have been hired by people who know tennis up and down to TEACH and COACH tennis to perhaps one or two people. and get paid lottttssss of money to do it.

LoL - no crushes on coaches. Ruins the tennis.

Prostaffer
04-25-2005, 10:58 PM
three years of college tennnis, three tourney and conference titles....i loved my old coach. he was hard, but a great psychologist. knew how to handle my cancerian ways.

then we get a new coach my senior year. we still won conference and i have one of my worst season. suffered my frist and only losses in conference ever in singles. i had a great time with my new coach. he was just as much fun but it wasn't the same. i think part of me was just making too much of the fact he was gone and it was my last year.

don't over analyze it, just enjoy it.

Kaptain Karl
04-25-2005, 11:17 PM
"The only constant ... is change."

- KK

AndrewD
04-26-2005, 03:43 AM
Meg, there's a bit of a theme running in your posts regarding coaches. It seems you feel you cant play well without those familiar people around you, which Im sure isn't the case. I'd say its more a case that you'll miss the individual rather than just them in their role of 'coach' and that's why you feel a bit let-down.

The truth is, if you want to progress, you will most likely have to move on to other people to absorb some of their knowledge and approach to the game. If players dont, they have a tendancy to stagnate and when they do finally make the change find they can't come to grips with the methods of others, even if they are tactically and technically more proficient than their original coach. Cases in point - Dokic and Pierce. Neither could ever make the move to another coach because they'd relied far too much on their original one (who also happened to be their father) and couldn't successfully absorb new information. Also, to a lesser but, I think, still significant level, Tim Henman who was with the one coach for an extended period and achieved good results but didn't develop enough on serve, most likely through a deficiency in an otherwise excellent coach (one of the reasons Sampras had so many coaches for different aspects of his game). Annacone can help him now but the work needed to be done ten years ago.

At the end of the day you win or lose matches because of yourself, not because you have coach X in your corner instead of coach Y. This gives you a chance to become accustomed to new ways of thinking which, if you go on to college tennis, you'll get again and will be expected to deal with.

Camilio Pascual
04-26-2005, 04:50 AM
The truth is, if you want to progress, you will most likely have to move on to other people to absorb some of their knowledge and approach to the game.
If players dont, they have a tendancy to stagnate and when they do finally make the change find they can't come to grips with the methods of others, even if they are tactically and technically more proficient than their original coach.
At the end of the day you win or lose matches because of yourself, not because you have coach X in your corner instead of coach Y.

This is great advice and the third point particularly blends in with what I'm going to say.
Meg, eventually a tennis player needs to learn to be her own coach. That doesn't mean to not use coaches, but YOU must be the one ultimately responsible for your tennis game and all the mental and physical aspects to prepare yourself to play your best. If circumstances dictate you are stuck with a coach you can't fire or who you have to go through to get where you want to go, then get the best out of her you can. Manipulate the coach by doing such things as showing up mentally/physically prepared, be enthusiastic, and challenge the coach and ask her what the purpose of a drill is if you don't understand it. Try hard during the drills and practice. You can make a coach a better coach for you if you work at it. Good luck.

MegacedU
04-26-2005, 12:40 PM
Well for so long my other coach taught me with the mentality that we were in it together. He was going to coach me and in the fall I'd have my number one and dominate my high school section, win sectionals, and move on up. I know that being #1 isn't all there is to the game. But I've WANTED it for so long and finallly I can have it and I can't have my game go down the tubes. I will miss him as an individual. Just the other day, my new coach said, the first day when both coaches, new and old, were there, that I had no interest in bonding, that I wasn't willing to accept the change. My old coach never made me mad, and he never frustrated me. I play awfully when i'm frustrated.

Camilio Pascual
04-27-2005, 05:53 AM
A lot of growing up is about people leaving you...and you leaving people. Adapting to this revolving door of experiences and relationships will greatly influence how happy you are in your life. Write down what you liked about your former coach and what things you learned from him. Look at it every now and then throughout your life. See if you meet other people you like who you can also learn from and write that down. I bet twenty years from now, you will have a lot of people to read about and remember. And you will see in those pages many of the reasons you are the person you are. Good luck.

MegacedU
04-27-2005, 11:37 AM
That was poetic and lovely. In twenty years I should definitely have my frist book out and I will definitely include my TW boards in it.