PDA

View Full Version : My 2009 US Open Prediction

TheBigBoss
08-12-2009, 04:23 PM
This years US Open is a very interesting one mostly because I feel as if the field is pretty much open to a few select players in the top 10. I strongly doubt that there will be any "newcomer" from the top 100 or what have you, that will come and dominate this years US Open.

Lets end the talk about Roger Federer not being as determined to win this year because he has already broken Pete Sampras's record. That is nonsense because I am sure Federer did not become a professional tennis player just to strictly break records. Only the media and some die hard fans really hound the statistics.

I do not believe that Rafael Nadal is going to go past the RD of 16 in this years US Open only because of his prior injuries and his not as great record during the hard court season.

My prediction is that we are going to see a very tough fight between Federer, Del Potro, Murray and Roddick for this years title. Any one of the 4 of them WILL win this years US Open.

Reason?

Even though i still question Federer being the "greatest of all time" I do recognize and respect his greatness and the fact that he always rises to the occasion during majors.

Del Potro is having an incredible hard court run especially after he took out Andy Roddick in Legg Mason.

Andy Murray is still a dark horse who should be feared during the hard court season.

Roddick is playing the best tennis he has since he became number one in the world back in 2001 (not really sure if that yr is correct)

Another tennis player who MIGHT give any of these four a hard time is Djokovic, but i have not been tracking him as much so i am not sure....

Thanks

The Big Boss :)

theagassiman
08-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Roddick became number 1 in 2003.

And I don't think you should write off Nadal just yet....

Sephiroth619
08-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Del Po didn't look overly impressive when he played against Roddick. In fact, he almost lost I believe three times. He saved the match points.

I think Verdasco will be a big threat. I have a feeling he'll meet Fed at the Finals.

stanfordtennis alum
08-12-2009, 04:41 PM
it should be an interesting US Open.. i think the top 6 players are all contenders

Feņa14
08-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Don't count out Djokovic either, he has good pedigree.

clayman2000
08-12-2009, 08:19 PM
it should be an interesting US Open.. i think the top 6 players are all contenders

So true. With Nadal looking clearly rusty, and Djokovic playing far from his 08 level, it really makes it interesting. Right now Fed is the easy favourite, but we dont know what his state of mind will be like. Also Fed is 1 - 5 against the other top 4 members. Surface preference shows Murray as the 2nd contender. However he has not beat a player ranked in the top 10 in a major this year. Djokovic has played some of his best matches ever this year, yet hes also played some of his worst. Like Murray he hasnt beat a top player this year in a slam. In fact, his highest slam win this year was over Mardy Fish. Despite his form, this guy has talent, and hes heading to the places of his breakthrough in Montreal and USO.

maddogz32
08-12-2009, 08:21 PM
dont write off nadal, he has had a lot of free time to practice, but i still think that roddick and federer in finals = roddick wins

ubermeyer
08-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Minus Del Potro and plus Nadal and Djokovic.

clayman2000
08-12-2009, 08:28 PM
dont write off nadal, he has had a lot of free time to practice, but i still think that roddick and federer in finals = roddick wins

Lesson of life. Never write of Nadal. He is the only one besides Djoker to beat Fed in a slam, and he will go in with almost no pressure and expectation. Mind you he did look simply awful against Ferrer, but he could easily improve over the next few days

backhand winner
08-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Nadal and Djokovic should be on that list. But I think it will be Murray's year. The US Open is his favorite tournament and he is a year older and better.

tennis.yellow.balls
08-12-2009, 11:10 PM
my vote is for one of the following four:

federer (always the favorite in any tournament)

nadal (another favorite if he's 100%)

roddick (finally putting his game together (more than a serve and forehand), although, i have no idea how he lost to del potro last week)

murray (plays well at u.s. open, but needs to be tougher mentally)

lessthanjake
08-12-2009, 11:21 PM
My prediction:

Quarterfinals
Federer
Roddick
Nadal
Del Potro
Djokovic
Murray
Verdasco
Tsonga

Semifinals
Federer
Murray
Del Potro
Nadal

Finals
Murray
Del Potro

Winner
Murray

Not particularly adventurous picks, and I hope it doesnt happen this way, but that's my guess.

maximo
08-13-2009, 12:12 AM
My prediction:

Quarterfinals
Federer
Roddick
Nadal
Del Potro
Djokovic
Murray
Verdasco
Tsonga

Semifinals
Federer
Murray
Del Potro
Nadal

Finals
Murray
Del Potro

Winner
Murray

Not particularly adventurous picks, and I hope it doesnt happen this way, but that's my guess.

That's it!!

Murray all the Way! :twisted:

TheBigBoss
08-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Take verdasco and Nadal out of that list and there is no doubt that you are spot on with that list.

My prediction:

Quarterfinals
Federer
Roddick
Nadal
Del Potro
Djokovic
Murray
Verdasco
Tsonga

Semifinals
Federer
Murray
Del Potro
Nadal

Finals
Murray
Del Potro

Winner
Murray